Anyone interested in a Boring Flamethrower

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Anyone interested in a Boring Flamethrower

Post by cv66er » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:13 am

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Re: Anyone interested in a Boring Flamethrower

Post by Mad Mike » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:51 pm

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 am

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

ATF says any flamethrower with a flame shorter than 10 ft is A-ok. Our design is max fun for least danger. I’d be way more scared of a steak knife.
5:14 PM - Jan 27, 2018

meanwhile in La-La Land the idiots are stirring.... http://fortune.com/2018/01/31/elon-musk ... er-banned/

Musk’s product has just hit a bump in the road. A California assemblyman says he intends to introduce legislation that would prevent the sale of the sought-after item.

Miguel Santiago (D-Los Angeles) is leading the charge against flamethrower sales. And while his bill would only impact sales in California, it could nudge other states to reconsider sales, even though Musk says the flamethrowers are legal according to standards set by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Santiago, in a statement quoted by a Los Angeles Times writer on Twitter, said the technical legality of the flamethrowers doesn’t matter to him.

“I honestly thought it was a joke when the article was read to me—while I was sitting in Los Angeles traffic,” he said. “The state of California and county and city of Los Angeles have entrusted Mr. Musk to help alleviate a real public policy problem here by executing a tunnel under the city to help alleviate traffic. This deviation feels like a complete slap in the face….I cannot even begin to imagine the problems a flamethrower would cause firefighters and police officers alike.”

Musk didn’t specifically address Santiago’s complaints, but did tweet a link to the song “I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire” by The Ink Spots.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 am

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:32 pm

teotwaki wrote: A California assemblyman says he intends to introduce legislation that would prevent the sale of the sought-after item.

Miguel Santiago (D-Los Angeles) is leading the charge against flamethrower sales. And while his bill would only impact sales in California, it could nudge other states to reconsider sales, even though Musk says the flamethrowers are legal according to standards set by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
I cannot even begin to imagine the problems a flamethrower would cause firefighters and police officers alike.”
Oh for heaven sake!
Farmers have used flamethrowers since someone discovered how to make them.
They are easy to cobble together, I've used one myself to clear brush and burn those horrible caterpillars.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:08 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:
teotwaki wrote: A California assemblyman says he intends to introduce legislation that would prevent the sale of the sought-after item.

I cannot even begin to imagine the problems a flamethrower would cause firefighters and police officers alike.”
Oh for heaven sake!
Farmers have used flamethrowers since someone discovered how to make them.
They are easy to cobble together, I've used one myself to clear brush and burn those horrible caterpillars.
Yep.

Anyone with even the smallest amount of mechanical knowledge can cobble one together from parts bought off Amazon or after a trip to the local hardware store in a matter of hours. I used a homemade one to clear out Brown Recluse spider holes back in high school (Brown Recluse spiders make a sound similar to a popped balloon when they get roasted with a flamethrower, by the way). Granted, I was supervised the whole time by my shop teacher, but even had I not been, I wouldn't have burned down my school or the neighborhood.

All this proposed bill does is make the assemblyman feel good about 'doing something for the people' even though it really does nothing and makes him sound like he thinks anyone who buys this or any other flame thrower is an idiot who'll torch the state.

ETA: And Elon Musk's flamethrower isn't really a flamethrower. It's basically an oversized BIC lighter that probably won't be much more useful than to light a BBQ or light a cigarette if someone is brave (or really stupid).

If the Californian assemblyman really wants to piss himself over a flamethrower, maybe he ought to visit Knob Creek or any one of the other machine gun shoots where there's a real WW2 era flamethrower being shown off.

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by cv66er » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:15 am

It won't much matter anyhow. They're sold out.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:46 am

Sounds like they sold 15,000 of them in a few days. Maybe 1 day. It also does not sound like they put a lot of engineering resources or effort into custom designing them. A lot of off the shelf gear was used. So they probably made a mint. Good for them. I think they are cool.

If I was in the market for a flamethrower I'd want a more serious one, but these are neat.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Zembecowicz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by Zembecowicz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm

I hate to be a killjoy, but it looks like someone attached a brush killer to a toy gun. I have one one that I use to get my burn piles going, and I think I paid $15 for it at Hazard Fraught. While it does shoot a lot of fire out of the end, it goes maybe four feet. It'd make a pretty poor weapon if you ask me.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:42 am

What ever happened to the cool ones from about 2 or so years ago that used regular gas? I think demolition ranch had a couple videos on it...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:33 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:What ever happened to the cool ones from about 2 or so years ago that used regular gas? I think demolition ranch had a couple videos on it...
They are still around. I read an article that had links to a those flamethrowers. The point was Cali is the only state which already has laws about flamethrowers, and they limit flames to 10 feet. Which is why the Boring Flamethrower looks like a standard weed killer strapped into an airsoft body. It appears that is exactly what it is. But done nicely. And it is Cali legal.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by cv66er » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:03 am

Zembecowicz wrote:I hate to be a killjoy, but it looks like someone attached a brush killer to a toy gun. I have one one that I use to get my burn piles going, and I think I paid $15 for it at Hazard Fraught. While it does shoot a lot of fire out of the end, it goes maybe four feet. It'd make a pretty poor weapon if you ask me.
That's because Elon Musk's company attached a brush killer to the stock from a airsoft gun. I didn't say it was an Exciting Flamethrower...

https://i.redd.it/uhpbcy2df5d01.jpg

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:46 pm

That's no flamethrower.

This is a flamethrower

Musk's Boring flamethrower is just that, boring. Seeing the video, it looks like the propane burner on a hot air balloon.

The XM-42 flamethrower actually shoots ignited gasoline. I wonder if it would work with thickened gasoline.

OBTW, since day one the XM-42 could not be shipped to Maryland or California.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 18, 2018 2:46 pm

While few things put the fear of GOD into a living creature like fire, this thing looks like a toy.

It would make me back away, but not run off.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”