Bad news for Remington

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Bad news for Remington

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:21 pm

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq- ... 71117.html

No wonder their ammo has been crap lately...I’ve had a lot more ftf malfunctions with my cheap range ammo lately; almost all Remington. QC is probably one of the first places they lose talent to competitors I suppose.

Time to fire up the reloading press I suppose... And maybe some good deals on some decent bolt actions.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Bad news for Remington

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Gunmakers Vista Outdoor, Remington Earn Downgrades

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1440021 ... rades.html

Private equity-backed Remington Outdoor Co. was downgraded from CCC+ to CCC- by S&P Global Ratings on Friday, Nov. 17, a week after Moody's Investors Service Inc. put fellow gunmaker Vista Outdoor Inc. on review for downgrade. S&P subsequently downgraded Vista to B+ from BB on Monday. Ratings below triple B from the credit agencies are considered noninvestment grade, high yield or junk.....

.....Vista makes firearms under the Savage Arms brand and ammunition under the Federal Premium brand. It also produces CamelBak hydration systems, Bushnell binoculars and Bell cycling helmets, among other outdoor gear.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:24 pm

I really like the Federal Premium stuff. So they are doing some things right.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:46 pm

woodsghost wrote:I really like the Federal Premium stuff. So they are doing some things right.
I have to agree, but then again, CCI does know a trick or two about making ammo, and with their military contracts they can't slack off on quality control.

I prefer CCI or Federal ammo over just about everything else. The few times I've used Remington ammo recently I found it to be exceptionally dirty to shoot. My M&P Shield .45 can shoot several hundred rounds of Federal or CCI during a day at the range, but starts getting FTFs after 50-75 rounds of Remington green & white box. My 9mm EAA SAR B6P has similar results. I've put 400 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass through it in a day at the range without a single problem, but it needs a full cleaning between 50 round boxes of Remington or it's going to start having issues with not returning to battery. I've stopped using Remington ammo because of this.

ETA: my carry ammo in both guns is Federal Premium HST. 124gr in the 9mm, 230gr in the .45
Last edited by NT2C on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:48 pm

I've been curious why I'm seeing Remington and Savage guns going for cheap. Hell even federal ammo has been cheap. Bricks of 1k going for nearly $50 or more cheaper than competitors.

I don't believe in coincidences.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 pm

woodsghost wrote:I really like the Federal Premium stuff. So they are doing some things right.
Concur, but different company (Vista)... same boat though.

Edit: My go-to ammo in my CCW and HD pistols is Federal Hydrashok...like the Barnes too, but folks I know who carry for a living trust their lives to the Federal HST.

And good point re: how dirty Remington green/white box stuff is lately. I thought it was just me...

Note the white grunge all over the front of my G21 (slide and light) when I was shooting a lot to break in a newly refinished slide a couple weeks ago:

As you can see, this particular pic was after just a couple mags.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:20 pm

NICS checks* are down a bit from 2016, but are still above 2015's numbers. But I guess somebody's gotta suck hind teat....and Remington's PR & QC problems aren't helping. Image

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nic ... r.pdf/view

*As I understand it, around 55% of NICS checks are for actual firearm purchases.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”