Need nightstand pistol concealed from sight, but accessible

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

KnifeStyle

Need nightstand pistol concealed from sight, but accessible

Post by KnifeStyle » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 am

The good news: the person who has begun sharing my bed is okay with me keeping my Glock 17 nearby while we sleep. In the past it has simply sat on the nightstand in its holster. However, she would prefer if it were concealed from plain view simply because she's still getting used to the lifestyle. Thus, as I shop around for a second nightstand to keep on my side of the bed, I'm needing a solution or system that keeps the gun accessible but hidden. No locking mechanism needed.

Each morning, depending on whether I'm carrying the 17 or the 43, I will either simply put the gun on or I go to a locking closet where I unload and store the gun in a dedicated safe. This will not be the full-time home for the gun, this is just a nook to hide it at night.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Need nightstand pistol concealed from sight, but accessi

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 am

KnifeStyle wrote:The good news: the person who has begun sharing my bed is okay with me keeping my Glock 17 nearby while we sleep. In the past, it has simply sat on the nightstand in its holster. However, she would prefer if it were concealed from plain view simply because she's still getting used to the lifestyle. Thus, as I shop around for a second nightstand to keep on my side of the bed, I'm needing a solution or system that keeps the gun accessible but hidden. No locking mechanism needed.

Each morning, depending on whether I'm carrying the 17 or the 43, I will either simply put the gun on or I go to a locking closet where I unload and store the gun in a dedicated safe. This will not be the full-time home for the gun, this is just a nook to hide it at night.
My Shield 45 fits in the drawer of my nightstand, but my double stack 9mm does not. Whichever was my carry gun that day is the one that stays by the bed at night. When that's the 9mm I just stick it in one of my boots next to the bed. It gives easy access, isn't overly visible, and it even holds it in a similar position to my holsters, so it comes readily to hand.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 am

Like KJ said, drawer is good!

Keeps dust off and keeps you from spilling a drink on it and keeps you from bumping it if you sleep like a maniac....
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:26 am

simple solution

Expensive solution

or there's always

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=91973
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:52 am

If a lock is not desired, there are lots of products for on top of the nightstand. You can make your own, or buy products like these:

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:41 pm

I honestly spent an hour today looking into that tissue box, only to see it can't hold a Glock 17. I'd get one custom made but that would be nearly double the price...
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:05 pm

What about getting one of those cut out books they sell at Academy?

They look just like a regular book, but are completely hollow inside and I believe they fit a Glock 17 sized pistol. The next time I hit Academy, I'll take a look at them and get back to you whether or not they'll fit a G17.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Pull the night stand out from the wall a little bit and attach a cheap cordura holster to the back of. No drawers or boxes to open, just reach behind and grab it.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 pm

yossarian wrote:Pull the night stand out from the wall a little bit and attach a cheap cordura holster to the back of. No drawers or boxes to open, just reach behind and grab it.
Or under it if you can attach to the underside of the top.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

2now

Post by 2now » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 pm

get a pair of cowboy boots at a thrift store, set them neat the hear of your bed. Park you piece in the boot at night. Add a holster or a simple cut out foam block if you like.
You can increase the security of this method with a dirty pair of socks...
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
yossarian wrote:Pull the night stand out from the wall a little bit and attach a cheap cordura holster to the back of. No drawers or boxes to open, just reach behind and grab it.
Or under it if you can attach to the underside of the top.
I was thinking the same thing. But, you'll have to cut away part of the drawer's back if you want to open it all the way.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:02 pm

That's what my dad does and has had it like that for years. His is behind the headboard, though. When my youngest is old enough to not snoop and know to leave things alone that's likely the route I'll go. So,.. I'll be ready for that change in like 10 more years.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

mace

Post by mace » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”