It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:36 pm 

I imagine by now everyone had seen the storage of .22lr in the plastic gum bottle trick. Since we are group of little OCD optimizers I figured some testing was in order to determine which, if any of the gum bottles would be ideal for ammo storage.

I tested the bottles on five metrics:

- Practical Capacity: The amount of 36gr .22lr HP that would fit in the bottle without spilling out when opened
- Drop test: From waist level on to soft grassy ground 3X. Pass/ Fail whether it came open or not
- Crush Test: Would the bottle come open when 50-60 pounds of lateral force was applied to the sides
- Shake Test:
A: Would the bottle come open when held inverted, fully loaded and shook vigorously
B: When the smaller access gate was open how many rounds would drop free with a shake
- Water Tight: Submerged in 1' of water for ten minutes

Here are the results of the extensive certified laboratory studies and peer reviewed analysis:

First the test subjects:

"E" 60pc Eclipse Gum Bottle

"C" 40pc Cube Gum Bottle

"M": 50pc Mentos Gum Bottle

"T" 200pc Tic Tac Mint Bottle

These bottles are roughly the same size.

Results:

"C" -

Capacity = 160 +/-
Drop Test = Fail
Crush Test = Fail
Shake = P/ 2-4
Watertight: Fail

"E"

Capacity = 135 +/-
Drop Test = Pass (see below)
Crush Test = Fail
Shake = P / 4-8
Water Tight = Fail

"T"

Capacity = 110 +/-
Drop Test = Pass
Crush Test = Fail (see below)
Shake = P/ 1-2
Water Tight = Pass

"M"

Capacity = 170 +/-
Drop Test = Pass
Crush Test = Pass
Shake = P/ n/a
Watertight = Pass

Notes: Were I a gun magazine writer or bloger I would tell you that they are all worthy competitors and you should pick the one that best suits your needs. Clearly however the Mentos bottle is much better than the rest. It is much more sturdy and better constructed than the all the rest. There are two reasons for this. First the ribbed design of the bottle makes it much stronger and crush proof. Secondly the lid lacks a feeder gate and does have an inner seal of sorts making it very water tight.

I don't like Mentos gum. It's ok but it has a slightly grainy texture and kind of a weird aftertaste. I'm not reviewing gum though. The bottle is also more ergonomic than the others, again due to the ribbed design making it hard to slip out of your hands even with gloves on and being wet. As a bonus it is about the size and shape of a grenade and fits neatly in to some grenade pouches with ease. When full of .22lr ammo it is about the same weight too.

The Tic-Tac Bottle has a weird shape and while it does not crush long ways it crushes easily the other way. It can be overfilled too allowing it to hold a bit more, perhaps 30 more rounds if you use only the feeder gate. It is also made of a more brittle plastic that I think might break under stress.

The Eclipse bottle passed the drop test but the feeder gate came open. I think a more rigorous drop test would force the whole thing open. It leaked like a sieve in the water and the crush test failed early on. It can be overfilled.

The Cube bottle was the absolute worst. It is great for holding light weight gum but fails spectacularly when holding heavy ammo. I would not use this bottle at all. It is of very cheap construction and a cardboard ammo box is preferable.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

How have I never heard of the .22 gum container life hack? I feel like my life is one big hack...

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:16 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
I imagine by now everyone had seen the storage of .22lr in the plastic gum bottle trick. Since we are group of little OCD optimizers I figured some testing was in order to determine which, if any of the gum bottles would be ideal for ammo storage.

I tested the bottles on five metrics:

- Practical Capacity: The amount of 36gr .22lr HP that would fit in the bottle without spilling out when opened
- Drop test: From waist level on to soft grassy ground 3X. Pass/ Fail whether it came open or not
- Crush Test: Would the bottle come open when 50-60 pounds of lateral force was applied to the sides
- Shake Test:
A: Would the bottle come open when held inverted, fully loaded and shook vigorously
B: When the smaller access gate was open how many rounds would drop free with a shake
- Water Tight: Submerged in 1' of water for ten minutes

Here are the results of the extensive certified laboratory studies and peer reviewed analysis:

First the test subjects:

"E" 60pc Eclipse Gum Bottle

"C" 40pc Cube Gum Bottle

"M": 50pc Mentos Gum Bottle

"T" 200pc Tic Tac Mint Bottle

These bottles are roughly the same size.

Results:

"C" -

Capacity = 160 +/-
Drop Test = Fail
Crush Test = Fail
Shake = P/ 2-4
Watertight: Fail

"E"

Capacity = 135 +/-
Drop Test = Pass (see below)
Crush Test = Fail
Shake = P / 4-8
Water Tight = Fail

"T"

Capacity = 110 +/-
Drop Test = Pass
Crush Test = Fail (see below)
Shake = P/ 1-2
Water Tight = Pass

"M"

Capacity = 170 +/-
Drop Test = Pass
Crush Test = Pass
Shake = P/ n/a
Watertight = Pass

Notes: Were I a gun magazine writer or bloger I would tell you that they are all worthy competitors and you should pick the one that best suits your needs. Clearly however the Mentos bottle is much better than the rest. It is much more sturdy and better constructed than the all the rest. There are two reasons for this. First the ribbed design of the bottle makes it much stronger and crush proof. Secondly the lid lacks a feeder gate and does have an inner seal of sorts making it very water tight.

I don't like Mentos gum. It's ok but it has a slightly grainy texture and kind of a weird aftertaste. I'm not reviewing gum though. The bottle is also more ergonomic than the others, again due to the ribbed design making it hard to slip out of your hands even with gloves on and being wet. As a bonus it is about the size and shape of a grenade and fits neatly in to some grenade pouches with ease. When full of .22lr ammo it is about the same weight too.

The Tic-Tac Bottle has a weird shape and while it does not crush long ways it crushes easily the other way. It can be overfilled too allowing it to hold a bit more, perhaps 30 more rounds if you use only the feeder gate. It is also made of a more brittle plastic that I think might break under stress.

The Eclipse bottle passed the drop test but the feeder gate came open. I think a more rigorous drop test would force the whole thing open. It leaked like a sieve in the water and the crush test failed early on. It can be overfilled.

The Cube bottle was the absolute worst. It is great for holding light weight gum but fails spectacularly when holding heavy ammo. I would not use this bottle at all. It is of very cheap construction and a cardboard ammo box is preferable.

This looked like such a great idea that I decided to test my own gum box .22 holder. I don't use any of that wimpy .22 LR stuff though, I go magnum all the way, baby! I also only have one gum box because I've never needed anything else.

So I got out my gum box to try your test and see how it stacked up. Mine is a "gum mint" box in M19 A1 flavor:

Capacity = 1,000
Drop Test = Pass
Crush Test = Pass
Shake = n/a
Watertight = Pass

I didn't think that was a very strenuous test though, so I decided to kick it up a notch...

Capacity = 1,000 +/- 300 or so if you take 'em out of their packaging
Drop Test (from a C-130 on a skid with 100 other boxes at 120 knots) = Pass
Crush Test (hold up my neighbors GMC while he changes a brake rotor) = Pass
Shake (15 minutes on the paint mixer at Home Depot) = Fail (none fell out even after a couple loose ones went off)
Watertight (used as an anchor on my buddy's bass boat all weekend) = Pass

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 pm 

Tough to carry around in you pocket though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:09 am 

Stercutus wrote:
Tough to carry around in you pocket though.

Cargo pants. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:18 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Great post and excellent information!

Thanks for sharing your time and effort!

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:53 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

It should be noted that this is also useful for those of us so tough that we "eat bullets for breakfast".

I can imagine my girlfriend going to steal some of my gum and finding out that their are armaments in it.... actually, at this point, she wouldn't be surprised.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:01 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I actually bought a small tin of those Mentos orange mints for the sole purpose of turning it into a place to store some .22LR ammo.

Turns out, the mints suck and my oldest nephew requisitioned the tin for his own survival kit. :lol:

I do have a bunch of old plastic film canisters I could use to store extra .22LR ammo, but I know they're definitely not crush, water, or drop proof.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:43 pm 

Very timely! I've been mulling over a lighter method of carrying loose .22 and have not come up with anything better. Bravo!

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:58 pm 

I always used old medicine/vitamin bottles. They're sealed from moisture, they're fairly durable plastic, and I figure having a child-resistant lid on an ammunition container wasn't a bad idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Quote:
Since we are group of little OCD optimizers

LOL. Enjoyed this thread. Thanks. I will try to add a picture tomorrow of one of my .22LR tape sleeves. Arguably, once you weed out all of the overly-specific questions, such as:

What about urban combat
What if the only meat to take was elephant, rhino, grizzly and elk
What if you could only engage targets at 700 yards
What if everyone wore steel plate suits
What if you need to absolutely, positively destroy your target with one shot
What about gelatin block tests, etc., etc., etc.,

the .22LR is king.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:36 pm 

Holds a bit over a full box of .22LR and will fit in an ALICE compass case.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I enjoy getting out for a walk and putting one of the .22s to use but always got tired of having a pocket of loose rounds in all of my outdoor clothing. After the first frost, I enjoy taking and feeding on skwerl; however, I don't enjoy visiting simple places like the National Botanical Gardens and having to explain why I have 4 loose bullets in my pocket while trying to pass through their metal detectors. For some of these reasons, and many more, I have experimented with other carry ideas. 90mph tape seems to keep things together. You just peel the next one off of the end.

---------------------25--------------------------------------50-----------------------------------------100 count storage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:51 pm 

The tin of Copenhagen is an excellent idea. I don't dip myself so it never occurred to me.

Just keep in mind the gun laws in DC are highly restrictive with heavy penalties for out of town, non-violent violators with no criminal record on the wrong side of the political fence. Laws cover carrying of ammunition are the same.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:42 am 

Great post, on a work trip for the next two weeks. But when I get home I'll have to show you the 22lr storage I use. They are metal tins, hold about 100rds, only fail I could see if your testing would be water proof.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...