Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:44 pm

raptor wrote:A question. I see that Savage is again selling a scout rifle.

Help me I have forgotten...when is a bolt action mag fed rifle with a forward mounted long eye relief scope preferred? They look nice and if want one I get that but what can it do that a conventional short barreled rifle or an AR-10, Browning or Remington 7400/7600 can't do?
Because Lord Jeff Cooper wrote a blog about it. That's why I hate all the articles about scout rifles talking about which scout rifles are the most scout based on arbitrary specs to be scout.

I do like short, iron sight, bolt guns though.

I swear, anytime someone references, as an appeal to authority... Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, John Moses Browning amongst others... I just roll my eyes
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:33 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:

Help me I have forgotten...when is a bolt action mag fed rifle with a forward mounted long eye relief scope preferred? They look nice and if want one I get that but what can it do that a conventional short barreled rifle or an AR-10, Browning or Remington 7400/7600 can't do?
Because Lord Jeff Cooper wrote a blog about it. That's why I hate all the articles about scout rifles talking about which scout rifles are the most scout based on arbitrary specs to be scout.

I swear, anytime someone references, as an appeal to authority... Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, John Moses Browning amongst others... I just roll my eyes
I recently spoke to a gunsmith about making a "bullpup", if you will, bolt action scout rifle so that the scope can be moved closer to the back to help with eye relief. He said, why don't you just use a pump action rifle with a scope... After thinking about it for awhile I came to the conclusion that he was right and pump actions probably would make better scout rifles.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Bearcat wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

I recently spoke to a gunsmith about making a "bullpup", if you will, bolt action scout rifle so that the scope can be moved closer to the back to help with eye relief. He said, why don't you just use a pump action rifle with a scope... After thinking about it for awhile I came to the conclusion that he was right and pump actions probably would make better scout rifles.
Depending on the pump action, that might limit your choice of chamberings a good bit. You're not likely to find a tube magazine rifle (which most pumps are) in a caliber like .308. Are there any box mag pumps around except the Rem 7600?

You know what might be sexy in a scout configuration? A Savage 99.

OK, so a Savage 99 is sexy in pretty much any configuration.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:27 pm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ ... g=gunpl-20 So now pocket knives have tactical lights
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:58 pm

Langenator wrote:
Bearcat wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

Depending on the pump action, that might limit your choice of chamberings a good bit. You're not likely to find a tube magazine rifle (which most pumps are) in a caliber like .308. Are there any box mag pumps around except the Rem 7600?

You know what might be sexy in a scout configuration? A Savage 99.

OK, so a Savage 99 is sexy in pretty much any configuration.
https://worldoftroy.com/product/troy-pu ... ing-rifle/ I'd rather have the troy. It takes standard 308 mags.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:59 pm

A Reminton 7600 with an 18.5 inch barrel in .30-06 makes a great scout rifle alternative. It is very popular in my area.

The only other pump gun is Browning but I do not think it has been produced in years.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:59 am

Pew pew!

Alright I want a new optic - in my last stage the primary arms QD came loose and blech was rubbish. Time to drop the moolah on something decent.

What I'm considering:

Aimpoint Pro Patrol https://www.larue.com/products/aimpoint ... c-w-mount/ $437

Shield CQS 2 moa with 65 moa circle https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounti ... 82471.aspx $399

This was my choice originally having a 2moa dot and the 65 for the upclose but some reviews suggest the bundled free mounting plate is not great and from my googling so far not finding other options for a secure mount...Doesn't help their website is down for maintenance. Also believe it's an auto adjust based on brightness.

Let me hear your thoughts!
Man is a beast of prey

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:37 pm

I am now the proud owner of a very heavily carried (but lightly shot) Ruger LC9. This will be CCW.

Does anyone have strong preferences for CCW holsters? Anything they love or hate? Any experience carrying a LC9 or similar size and tips for doing so?

I'm thinking I'll carry in the 4o'clock or appendix position. I'm not sure which. I'm not dead set on IWB or OWB, but IWB will be more concealed. On the other hand, my experience is OWB is more comfortable.

So if anyone has opinions they want to share I'm all ears. In the past my motto was "go cheap or go home." Now I'd like to stay under $60, but if I need to go higher I can. It will simply take longer.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:24 pm

This i really a personal preference. My suggestion is to decide where you want to carry and then buy a holster based upon the location. Buy a couple of cheap ones to try with different carry sites and then focus on getting a holster that works for that style of carry.

My preferences are for a carry style where the barrel never points at my personal bits. So no appendix or IWB for me.

My preferred ccw style is pocket carry if carrying a Jframe or DAO semi. Small of back , OWB or off body if carrying a striker fired pistol. I hate ankle carry.
Last edited by raptor on Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:43 pm

I get to shoot my annual qualification tomorrow.

It's scripted and structured, but it's trigger time with no range fee and I only have to supply some of the ammo (50 rounds per gun for my backup and off-duty pistols, since my guns are 9mm and the dept uses .40.)

Pew Pew!
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:00 pm

woodsghost wrote:I am now the proud owner of a very heavily carried (but lightly shot) Ruger LC9. This will be CCW.

Does anyone have strong preferences for CCW holsters? Anything they love or hate? Any experience carrying a LC9 or similar size and tips for doing so?

I'm thinking I'll carry in the 4o'clock or appendix position. I'm not sure which. I'm not dead set on IWB or OWB, but IWB will be more concealed. On the other hand, my experience is OWB is more comfortable.

So if anyone has opinions they want to share I'm all ears. In the past my motto was "go cheap or go home." Now I'd like to stay under $60, but if I need to go higher I can. It will simply take longer.
I have a HAZMAT holster for appendix carry right now & it is working out well. I like appendix, but the grip really 'chicken wings' out & is noticeable. Before that, I used an Aliengear for 4-4:30 carry but I don't do that anymore as I feel someone could grab it from behind & I would have to spin around to retain my pistol.

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:07 pm

woodsghost wrote:I am now the proud owner of a very heavily carried (but lightly shot) Ruger LC9. This will be CCW.

I have an EC9s, the budget version of the LC9(s). I have a Comptac IWB holster which works well (I usually carry at 9 with a mild forward cant), but mostly pocket-carry with a Desantis Nemesis.

The utility of the latter depends on your locale and pocket depth, of course; my Carhartt chinos' hip pockets are easily deep enough to fully conceal it, but my Dockers are iffy (some are shallow enough a bit of the back corner of the butt can kinda-sorta be seen, which might be enough to not qualify wherever you are).

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:01 pm

raptor wrote:
My preferences are for a carry style where the barrel never points at my personal bits. So no appendix or IWB for me.
I'm not worried about targets the small ;)

I don't like ankle carry either.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:06 am

the_alias wrote:Image
Pew pew!

Alright I want a new optic - in my last stage the primary arms QD came loose and blech was rubbish. Time to drop the moolah on something decent.

What I'm considering:

Shield CQS 2 moa with 65 moa circle https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounti ... 82471.aspx $399

This was my choice originally having a 2moa dot and the 65 for the upclose but some reviews suggest the bundled free mounting plate is not great and from my googling so far not finding other options for a secure mount...Doesn't help their website is down for maintenance. Also believe it's an auto adjust based on brightness.

If you’re happy with the red dot itself, just get a different mount. Primary Arms micro dots use the same mounts as any Aimpoint T1/H1 and T2/H2. I have one of their advanced micro dots mounted on a Fortis F1 mount on my daughter’s rifle and have the same mount on my Aimpoint T2. Not QD but very light and sturdy.

If you’re dead set on a QD mount get a Larue: https://www.larue.com/category/larue-mo ... er-mounts/

That said, of your choices I’d get the Aimpoint PRO. I don’t own one but a couple friends do and really like ‘em. A lot of value for the $$... However, if you’re spending $$ buy once, cry once. Aimpoint M4 will last you a lifetime.

Edit: Nice shootin’!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:31 am

Pew pew!
Okay, now let me rig it up so the targets can shoot back (paintballs or chalk rounds) and see how well you do. :mrgreen:

(Nice shooting though. I'm jealous!)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:52 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
the_alias wrote:[img]https://i.imgur.com/DaCC3kJ.gif
Pew pew!

What I'm considering:

If you’re happy with the red dot itself, just get a different mount. Primary Arms micro dots use the same mounts as any Aimpoint T1/H1 and T2/H2. I have one of their advanced micro dots mounted on a Fortis F1 mount on my daughter’s rifle and have the same mount on my Aimpoint T2. Not QD but very light and sturdy.

If you’re dead set on a QD mount get a Larue: https://www.larue.com/category/larue-mo ... er-mounts/

That said, of your choices I’d get the Aimpoint PRO. I don’t own one but a couple friends do and really like ‘em. A lot of value for the $$... However, if you’re spending $$ buy once, cry once. Aimpoint M4 will last you a lifetime.

Edit: Nice shootin’!
This is why I like this forum!!

Thank you - the Primary Arms is ok for my level now (and I'll want to keep it for a PCC build in the future) just having mounting options is great. Think I'll pick up that fortis mount and save a bit longer and evaluate whether to go for Gucci COMPm4 or not. Quick Detach not a particular concern for now.
Man is a beast of prey

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:38 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Pew pew!
Okay, now let me rig it up so the targets can shoot back (paintballs or chalk rounds) and see how well you do. :mrgreen:

(Nice shooting though. I'm jealous!)
Now that would be fun, although painful and frustrating
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Hey y'all, I don't know if anyone is looking for a Tavor, but my dad came across this deal last week:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/iwi-tavor-sa ... qCH_GaZNsb

And so I did some research. Turns out, in 2015, Davidson Firearms had a batch of these hydro-dipped in a custom camo by Tiger Stripe Products, and then tried to sell them for $2495.00. No one at Davidson even remembers how many they made or tried to sell when I called and asked. CDNN just ended up with the last ones. Honestly, I'm shocked that this price didn't hit all the message boards and sell them out in 90 minutes. Two more sold just today.

So, my dad and I bought one each. Not much to report but that it's a Tavor SAR in all it's awesomeness, with a dip job that looks actually pretty fantastic in person, for $1399.00.

So, a 1700-dollar rifle with a quite nice looking 300-dollar dip job for $1399.00

Y'all get at it. These are good guns.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:47 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:Hey y'all, I don't know if anyone is looking for a Tavor, but my dad came across this deal last week:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/iwi-tavor-sa ... qCH_GaZNsb

And so I did some research. Turns out, in 2015, Davidson Firearms had a batch of these hydro-dipped in a custom camo by Tiger Stripe Products, and then tried to sell them for $2495.00. No one at Davidson even remembers how many they made or tried to sell when I called and asked. CDNN just ended up with the last ones. Honestly, I'm shocked that this price didn't hit all the message boards and sell them out in 90 minutes. Two more sold just today.

So, my dad and I bought one each. Not much to report but that it's a Tavor SAR in all it's awesomeness, with a dip job that looks actually pretty fantastic in person, for $1399.00.

So, a 1700-dollar rifle with a quite nice looking 300-dollar dip job for $1399.00

Y'all get at it. These are good guns.
If I didn't already own one I'd jump on that. If you hate the paint, there's always a can of engine paint for 5 bucks :crazy:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:11 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:44 pm

First quarter of 2018 is almost over, where's the 7?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:00 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
First quarter of 2018 is almost over, where's the 7?
I'm still waiting on the Skeli X11....their mid '17 launch is now a mid '18 launch. And it took so long for the Henry .308 Long Rangers to finally hit the shelves that I lost interest.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 am

Correct. My dad and I, after much debate, and after shooting the X95 that my uncle's wife got him for Christmas (she is entirely too good to that man. Not true, but he is a lucky fellow), we decided that we wanted the original Hebrew Hammer that was developed over 15 years and battle-tested for another 10, rather than jumping on the bandwagon of the new X95 AKA: The AR-15 bullpup.

Dad and I don't need the modularity of the X95, and don't like the apparent reduced accuracy of it over the SAR. The SAR has all the right rails and buttons and controls in all the right places already. If I want to go stealthily hunting game with it I can fix the CQB combat trigger in a number of ways.

Really happy with this gun. The camo dip just looks better and better. I already ordered a Trijicon MRO on sale and a genuine SAR pressure switch for it today while I was home with a sick kid. Gonna wire that into a Streamlight TLR1HL-long-gun kit for the 2 o'clock rail later.

ZS needs to get this special run of clearance Tavors.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”