Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

woodsghost

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Both of you have good points.

My vision is something with a jet of scary movie flames that get a critter's attention and convince them to charge and eat something else. Basically convincing them you are a difficult meal. And tapping into whatever primal instincts exist around fire.

Something like the Boring Flamethrower would only have 10 feet of natural gas flames. Other flamethrowers have gasoline or even napalm. That seems like it carries a higher risk of forest fire.

And I was thinking some locations, like California or Colorado, might have bigger issues with forest fire than, say, Minnesota, Montana, Wisconsin, New York, etc.

Just some thoughts which hit me today.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:05 am

So who wants to help spend my tax return?

Might do a double BOB rebuild with better components. Kinda want a Ruger Carbine thing to match glock mags.

The Total Is Over 2gs Though.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:27 am

w3rdtoyamama wrote:So who wants to help spend my tax return?

Might do a double BOB rebuild with better components. Kinda want a Ruger Carbine thing to match glock mags.

The Total Is Over 2gs Though.
E-funds are a thing.

Just sayin'.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 am

I had a long day at the range this weekend. Still super happy with my XDS in 9mm. The 45 was nice, but the 9 just shoots so much easier. Makes me want a 4 inch XDS, too. I'd love one in 357 Sig for a field carry gun, but I can't find anyway to make that happen.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 pm

New Smith Shield. Seems good for it's market demographics.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ez-pistol/
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:07 pm

Kinda funny how the grip safety hinges from the bottom.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:36 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:New Smith Shield. Seems good for it's market demographics.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ez-pistol/
Damn... I was just about to pick up a Taurus 738 as a pocket gun when I don't want to carry my Shield 45. (I can carry the Shield 45 in my sweats but it prints badly and is not going to help set any fast draw records.) Now I'm going to have to reconsider that, though from that overall length this looks like it'll be in the same size range as all the other Shields, so not a great pocket gun, especially not when I have a .45 the same size. Still, I rather like what I'm seeing there, so it may find a home in my safe too.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 am

Thumbs down for that 380
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Speaking of .380's, I had a friend of mine offer me his S&W Bodyguard for a .22 pistol I had awhile back. It was that S&W Victory .22 i got in trade for the Arisaka I had. Anyway, friend wanted to trade me the .380 for the .22 and knowing what kind of issues the first run Bodyguards had, I passed on it.

I did end up selling the .22 Victory to him about a week later instead. He was happy with the gun and I was happy to get the money because I had some unforeseen bills pop up.

I might pick up one of those Victory .22's again at some point or I might just stick with Ruger and get a Mark 4 22/45 instead.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:41 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Speaking of .380's, I had a friend of mine offer me his S&W Bodyguard for a .22 pistol I had awhile back. It was that S&W Victory .22 i got in trade for the Arisaka I had. Anyway, friend wanted to trade me the .380 for the .22 and knowing what kind of issues the first run Bodyguards had, I passed on it.

I did end up selling the .22 Victory to him about a week later instead. He was happy with the gun and I was happy to get the money because I had some unforeseen bills pop up.

I might pick up one of those Victory .22's again at some point or I might just stick with Ruger and get a Mark 4 22/45 instead.
I've owned 2 or 3 22/45's & I have always been satisfied with them.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:44 pm

I like the 22/45 Lite I have now, but the ease of takedown on the new models has me really interested. If I wasn't saving up to buy a stripped lower, I'd reallocate the funds for one of those.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:46 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I like the 22/45 Lite I have now, but the ease of takedown on the new models has me really interested. If I wasn't saving up to buy a stripped lower, I'd reallocate the funds for one of those.
And you traded a stripped lower for the 22/45 you have now.....it's a vicious cycle.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:54 pm

RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I like the 22/45 Lite I have now, but the ease of takedown on the new models has me really interested. If I wasn't saving up to buy a stripped lower, I'd reallocate the funds for one of those.
Didn't you trade a stripped lower for the 22/45 you have now?.....it's a vicious cycle.

Yep. I traded the stripped lower and a basic 22/45 for the 22/45 Lite I have now.

Looking back on that, I should've just kept the lower kicked in some cash instead for the trade. Oh well.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Got an unexpected bonus, about $700 or so. I threw it in the savings acct to go with the other bonus. Now, should I it's kinda burning a hole in my account. Question is, what should I do with it. I've got a nice little rainy day fund, and bill are paid off. I'm thinking I should get something with it but what? I do still need a G19 upper. I don't really NEED another AR. I'm sitting on over 2k rounds for all my cartridges except the 380 (only a 1000 for them).

If I don't get another firearm or firearm equipment, then I'm thinking it might go toward a chainsaw. Grandparents will go halfsies with me on a Sthil880 and that's about what my half will be.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Halfapint wrote:Got an unexpected bonus, about $700 or so. I threw it in the savings acct to go with the other bonus. Now, should I it's kinda burning a hole in my account. Question is, what should I do with it. I've got a nice little rainy day fund, and bill are paid off. I'm thinking I should get something with it but what? I do still need a G19 upper. I don't really NEED another AR. I'm sitting on over 2k rounds for all my cartridges except the 380 (only a 1000 for them).

If I don't get another firearm or firearm equipment, then I'm thinking it might go toward a chainsaw. Grandparents will go halfsies with me on a Sthil880 and that's about what my half will be.
Chainsaws are useful. How is your medical gear? That chainsaw might be the best bet. Comms gear is also good.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:21 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Halfapint wrote:Got an unexpected bonus, about $700 or so. I threw it in the savings acct to go with the other bonus. Now, should I it's kinda burning a hole in my account. Question is, what should I do with it. I've got a nice little rainy day fund, and bill are paid off. I'm thinking I should get something with it but what? I do still need a G19 upper. I don't really NEED another AR. I'm sitting on over 2k rounds for all my cartridges except the 380 (only a 1000 for them).

Chainsaws are useful. How is your medical gear? That chainsaw might be the best bet. Comms gear is also good.
Firearms are but one prep. Your getting the land, I'd say a chainsaw would be the most useful then.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:26 pm

I updated some of my tree removal gear not too long ago, specifically a new 100' bull rope and a new pair of chainsaw chaps. I was helping a bud drop a couple of trees in his back yard a couple months ago, when I realized my old rope and chaps were getting close to 20 years old. :ooh:

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks for the ideas gents! I finished going through and organizing preps last night. I'm lacking in one department (most important one), water. I don't have the means to store much currently since my living situation is fluid (pun intended!). So I'm thinking I'm going to start piecing together a 9mm AR, I've been going back and forth about doing a 10mm, the only issue I have with 10mm right now is that there isn't a lot of availability out there. Hopefully this'll be the year of the 10mm and can start getting hi-cap glock mags.

The main reason for the 9mm is because I apparently forgot how much 9mm I have. I've got of the large (I think 5.56) ammo cans filled with them. I've also got 2 of the same filled with brass. Plus 9mm is sooooo stupid cheap to reload that feeding it would be incredibly cheap.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:09 am

Browning Ends Hi-Power Production

Without much fanfare the production of one of the most important pistol designs of the 20th century has ended. Browning have ceased production of the iconic Hi-Power.

The Hi-Power page on Browning’s website has this short notice announcing the news:

"No longer in production. The Hi-Power is one of John Moses Browning’s finest designs. And although it is possible to still find Hi-Power pistols at dealers across the U.S., the Hi-Power is technically out of production. Current dealer inventories will be the last available from Browning for the foreseable future."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:38 am

RickOShea wrote:Browning Ends Hi-Power Production

Without much fanfare the production of one of the most important pistol designs of the 20th century has ended. Browning have ceased production of the iconic Hi-Power.

The Hi-Power page on Browning’s website has this short notice announcing the news:

"No longer in production. The Hi-Power is one of John Moses Browning’s finest designs. And although it is possible to still find Hi-Power pistols at dealers across the U.S., the Hi-Power is technically out of production. Current dealer inventories will be the last available from Browning for the foreseable future."
:(

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 am

RickOShea wrote:Browning Ends Hi-Power Production

I'm sure there was not a strong demand for new BHPs. But still that sucks.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:11 pm

U.S. gunmaker Remington seeks financing to file for bankruptcy

Remington Outdoor Company Inc, one of the largest U.S. makers of firearms, has reached out to banks and credit investment funds in search of financing that will allow it to file for bankruptcy, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday.

The move comes as Remington reached a forbearance agreement with its creditors this week following a missed coupon payment on its debt, the sources said. The company has been working with investment bank Lazard Ltd (LAZ.N) on options to restructure its $950 million debt pile, Reuters reported last month.

Remington is seeking debtor-in-possession financing that will allow it to fund is operations once it files for bankruptcy, the sources said. The size of the financing and timing of Remington’s bankruptcy plans could not be learned.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm

RickOShea wrote:U.S. gunmaker Remington seeks financing to file for bankruptcy

Remington Outdoor Company Inc, one of the largest U.S. makers of firearms, has reached out to banks and credit investment funds in search of financing that will allow it to file for bankruptcy, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday.

The move comes as Remington reached a forbearance agreement with its creditors this week following a missed coupon payment on its debt, the sources said. The company has been working with investment bank Lazard Ltd (LAZ.N) on options to restructure its $950 million debt pile, Reuters reported last month.

Remington is seeking debtor-in-possession financing that will allow it to fund is operations once it files for bankruptcy, the sources said. The size of the financing and timing of Remington’s bankruptcy plans could not be learned.
Let nature the marketplace take it's course.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
RickOShea wrote:U.S. gunmaker Remington seeks financing to file for bankruptcy

Let nature the marketplace take it's course.
I hope a buy-out happens by another company.

Then, I hope that company makes build kits for Remington 700 rifles. With the boom of AR building, I think having a "modular" bolt gun will appeal to many people (including myself, I'm looking at a Savage build or a Rem-Age barrel nut conversion of a Rem700). If they start selling actions with a barrel but conversion, barrels, triggers, and go-no-go gauges, etc at a decent price, I think home builders will be able to build the gun they want instead of having a sea of random SKU and limited edition Rem700 rifles that no one buys.

Someone wanna lend me $950 million to buy out Remington?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”