Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:26 pm

Curious.... looks the the ATF is at it again...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/0 ... ike-thing/
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 pm

brothaman wrote:That's the one I want.

This is the model I can get on the cheap.
-snip pic-

That's the one I had. I originally got it for my Father. He was having health issues and racking the slide on his auto-loading pistols was becoming a problem. I also put a Wolff spring kit in it for him, to try and lighten-up the trigger a little bit. I tried the 10 lb. hammer spring first. I got reliable ignition with the .327 mags, but was getting a light strike ever once in a while with .32 mags. Ended-up going with the 12 lb. spring, since Dad was mostly shooting .32 mags with it.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Best time of the year, SHOT Show and Carnival Season.

SHOT Show bingo! :awesome:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdyrMFJD2wv ... =ftac_jack

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Ok. Blasting an opinion here: 10mm is the new hotness. 40 s&w seems to be losing ground. But the 40 is just a lighter 10mm. What gives?!?!? What are people thinking?

I'm not thinking anyone is wrong. I just don't understand why suddenly 10mm is increasing so much in popularity when we already have the 40 s&w.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 pm

woodsghost wrote:Ok. Blasting an opinion here: 10mm is the new hotness. 40 s&w seems to be losing ground. But the 40 is just a lighter 10mm. What gives?!?!? What are people thinking?

I'm not thinking anyone is wrong. I just don't understand why suddenly 10mm is increasing so much in popularity when we already have the 40 s&w.
Because we started out with the 10mm, the FBI liked it so it started gaining fans, then the FBI considered it too hot and collaborated on the "toned down" 40 S&W. Since that was the new FBI round a lot of police departments followed suit (FBI knows best, right? They got all those labs and shit to study this stuff...) but a hard core of 10mm fans remained. Now FBI is back in love with the 9mm again (somebody could probably sell them on a 9.5mm at this point) and a lot of the folks who had followed them down the 40 S&W path and been dumped there in a shallow grave said screw it and went back to what had worked for them before, but some remembered that the 10mm was a nice round that could be "loaded to please" (and our LEOs can outshoot those Feebies any day of the week, especially with hot loads) and switched back (especially the departments who hadn't sold off all their 10mm duty gear yet, or where the duty weapon is picked by the LEO from a list of approved weapons/calibers). Since a lot of local LE was now okay with the 10mm again, and since there was this hardcore fan base that was continuing to make new converts to the Church of 10mm Righteousness, it was only natural that it'd take off.

At least that's how I see it. :mrgreen:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 pm

There needs to be a new fad (or fads) every year. 2017 was 9mm PCC.....2018 will be 10mm. Image

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am

RickOShea wrote:

There needs to be a new fad (or fads) every year. 2017 was 9mm PCC.....2018 will be 10mm. Image
:clap: :clap:

It does go in cycles. Yes kinda like cars, you need a hook or gimmick. In 2018 it may be 10mm

10mm is IMO a great round but rather like the .41 magnum it was always in the shadow of .357 and .44 magnums for hunting uses. It was also had over penetration issue for SD & PD work. The biggest issue with it IMO is the cost (& availability) of ammo, unless you reload.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:24 pm

raptor wrote:
RickOShea wrote: Image
:clap: :clap:
It does go in cycles. Yes kinda like cars, you need a hook or gimmick. In 2018 it may be 10mm

10mm is IMO a great round but rather like the .41 magnum it was always in the shadow of .357 and .44 magnums for hunting uses. It was also had over penetration issue for SD & PD work. The biggest issue with it IMO is the cost (& availability) of ammo, unless you reload.
What would be the barrel lengths needed for the kind of penetration seen in the graphic?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:16 pm

MPMalloy wrote: What would be the barrel lengths needed for the kind of penetration seen in the graphic?
Image http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:28 pm

RickOShea wrote:
MPMalloy wrote: What would be the barrel lengths needed for the kind of penetration seen in the graphic?
Image http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html
Thank you Rick.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:37 pm

If it is a serious question i think you would have to add what type and brand of bullet was used.
These ballistic tests show a wide variation in performance based upon brand.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-d ... tic-tests/

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 pm

raptor wrote:If it is a serious question i think you would have to add what type and brand of bullet was used.

I trust the Federal HST rounds when it comes to carry ammo. 124 gr for the 9mm and 230 for the .45, so I'd likely continue that with a 10mm if I owned one.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:10 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
raptor wrote:If it is a serious question i think you would have to add what type and brand of bullet was used.

I trust the Federal HST rounds when it comes to carry ammo. 124 gr for the 9mm and 230 for the .45, so I'd likely continue that with a 10mm if I owned one.
When I carried .40 S&W, I used Federal 180 Gr. JHP.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Hornady Critical defense 115 gr in 9mm
https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-115-gr- ... ds#geltest

Federal HST 230 gr in .45acp

Barnes TAC-XPD 125 gr in my 4 inch bbls .357
https://www.luckygunner.com/357-mag-125 ... ds#geltest

Remington Golden Sabre 125 gr +p in my .38 spl J frame.
https://www.luckygunner.com/38-special- ... ds#geltest

I purchased a couple of boxes of these Federal 130 gr +p to try in my j frame. Since I got a bunch of the Golden Sabres cheap last year, I am not in a hurry to change rounds though.
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/art ... icro-ammo/

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm

From NPR's Planet Money: Episode 817: The Gun Man
Cody Wilson makes gun-making machines. Depending whom you ask, he's either one of the most dangerous people in the world, or a hero of the first amendment.

Cody's never sold a gun. He's never killed anyone. And, to his knowledge, none of the guns he's made have ever killed anyone. So, how did Cody Wilson end up on the frontline of the debate over gun control? He ended up there, not by selling guns, but by creating ways for anyone to make their own gun.

Cody's game-changing tool? 3D printers.

In the world he's made, guns don't need to move from person to person across a counter. Instead, they're hacked together using blueprints that Cody has helped distribute.

Today on the show, we follow a man who wants a world with many guns, no regulations, and a somewhat scary amount of freedom.
Click the link to hear the audio, or download the podcast from the iTunes store. iTunes is a free program.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 pm

raptor wrote:Hornady Critical defense 115 gr in 9mm

Federal HST 230 gr in .45acp

Barnes TAC-XPD 125 gr in my 4 inch bbls .357
https://www.luckygunner.com/357-mag-125 ... ds#geltest

Remington Golden Sabre 125 gr +p in my .38 spl J frame.
https://www.luckygunner.com/38-special- ... ds#geltest

I purchased a couple of boxes of these Federal 130 gr +p to try in my j frame. Since I got a bunch of the Golden Sabres cheap last year, I am not in a hurry to change rounds though.
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/art ... icro-ammo/
Wrong link for the .45 HST

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Sorry a little late to the 10mm talk, wrote something up on my phone but apparently forgot to hit send. I personally got into 10mm because I was looking to get a pistol with a little more "oomph" I was looking at .45acp but being a low pressure, low velocity round it didn't appeal to me much. I looked into some wheel guns cartridges like 44mag and such were big an the pistols are bigger. I finally stumbled upon 10mm. I actually found it in my reloading books, that's when I started my research, looking at the reloads and realized that with many loads its nearly identical to .41mag, this had me interested.

I started researching more and realized that you can get semi auto pistols with decent mag size, then I found the g40 and I was sold. Ever since then I've been a fan boy. It's got some recoil of course but it's very easily manageable with the long slide. My gf whom I'm still trying to get proper grip and stance technic (she's got the standard woman arched back to look down the sights) and she's able to manage it and put shots on target easily.

Took the 10mm out yesterday, I've been frustrated with the optic on it because I've adjusted it nearly as much as I can and it wont place well at close ranges. well it finally dawned on me and I aimed at a tennis ball about 25yds or so out, first shot hit the thing and blew it to pieces. I started shooting other targets 25-50yds out and was nearly on the mark every single time. I think I need to set this thing up for 50yd shooting. may take it to the actual range and get my pistol carriage set up and sight this thing in at 50.... I'm excited now. Mean while I had the gf run some ghetto timed drills (still don't have a timer) I'd load 5rd mags and have her stand at the read and shoot 5 shots as quickly as she could while aiming from about 7yds or so into a standard 25yd pistol target. She had 3 groups she was shooting. Dead center, up and to the right about 1" and directly up about an inch and 3/4. All and all I'm happy with how she's improved shooting, she's shooting my XDM 9mm.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:10 pm

New Mexico gun shop's MLK Day ad stirs controversy

Civil rights organizers don't believe the ad is in line with Dr. King's beliefs

KOAT Updated: 7:21 PM CST Jan 15, 2018
Sandra Ramirez
General Assignment Reporter

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — An advertisement promoting a sale at a New Mexico gun shop on Martin Luther King Jr. Day is stirring up controversy.

The ad for the Los Ranchos Gun Shop includes the image of a statue of King, along with text that promotes 10 percent off all accessories with the purchase of a gun.

Civil rights organizers questioned the appropriateness of the ad’s timing.

“We do regret that it happened on the day when nonviolence is protected,” said Pamelya Herndon, vice chair of the NAACP’s Albuquerque branch.

Others said they do not believe the ad is in line with King’s beliefs.

“I don't think that Dr. Martin Luther King would have advocated for guns in any way, because he was strictly nonviolent.,” said Cecilia Webb, president of the National Council of Negro Women in Albuquerque.

The owner of the Los Ranchos Gun Shop, Mark Abramson, said he was shocked by the backlash. He said he thought the ad was no different than any other retailer promoting its holiday sale.

“People have the time off and the opportunity to get into our shop and see exactly what they could be buying,” said Abramson.

Some critics think the ad is especially insensitive because the civil rights leader was shot dead.

Abramson said the holiday is not about King’s assassination, but a celebration of his achievements.

Amid the controversy, Abramson is issuing an apology.

“I'm sorry anyone was offended by it, but there was certainly no intention to do that,” said Abramson.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 pm

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:10 pm

About 6 to 8 years ago I was into wanting to get into long range shooting from a chassis style gun on the cheap. Back then, the only real options were those factory built Remington 700 with the Blackhawk axiom stock thing... at least that I was aware of. Ugly and not that great.

All these "budget" oriented chassis guns are really making me mad that they weren't around almost a decade ago and I stick my tongue at them as I now like walnut stocks and clean classic lines. Jokes on them!!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:25 pm

Ugh.....pee drinkers. :shock:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:44 pm

That keltec ad's message to me is "if you are into gross self abuse buy a keltec"... I think that is the wrong message to a buyer. :wink:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:20 pm

raptor wrote:That keltec ad's message to me is "if you are into gross self abuse buy a keltec"... I think that is the wrong message to a buyer. :wink:
"We put the 'kink' in plinking"

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm

raptor wrote:That keltec ad's message to me is "if you are into gross self abuse buy a keltec"... I think that is the wrong message to a buyer. :wink:
It may be a generational thing. I'm all up for that. I NEED that rifle. But I thought that back in 2017.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”