Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:41 pm

Well hell, I think I'm going to go and get my permit today. I knew it shortened the permit process but in WA you skip it. Huh, well I'll be.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 pm

In Iowa, your being Honorably discharged allows you to skip the required training. The just give you your permit. :D

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Halfapint wrote:
boskone wrote:
RickOShea wrote:NICS checks down 8% from 2016, but 2017 still 2nd highest year....

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nic ... r.pdf/view
I'd hazard people were much less anxious about a renewed AWB or similar legislation.

I'd be curious about the number of "uniques": how many were new gun owners rather than repeat buyers.
I'll say I know lots of people on the "left" of the political spectrum that never shot nor owned guns who now have in the last year bought/built their first firearms. Many of those now own multiple. However a lot of them have purchased 80% lowers for both glocks and ARs. One really good friend was fascinated after I got into firearms that he bought a small CNC machine to try and make an AR from scratch. Found that was to much work and has made about 10 80% lowers for himself (He's got to much money for is own good. he has 3d printers that he has going almost 24x7). I also know a lot of LGBT people who are now gun owners, again people who never wanted them, never shot them, and just a few years ago were very much anti gun, are owning them and training with them.

Anywho, interesting times we live in
Wow! Well I'm glad people are discovering the original intent behind the 2nd Amendment and realizing it's benefits extend to all sides of the aisle. I hope this helps everyone to feel better and relax.

Indeed, these are interesting times!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:11 pm

I don't see how that conversation has anything to do with the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

However, discussing interpretations of such original intent will immediately fall into politics, so let's not, k?
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:55 pm

MPMalloy wrote:In Iowa, your being Honorably discharged allows you to skip the required training. The just give you your permit. :D
Same in VA and ID, but neither permit qualifies to skip the NCIS check.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:54 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:In Iowa, your being Honorably discharged allows you to skip the required training. The just give you your permit. :D
Odd....According to the ATF, a permit in Idaho qualifies.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 pm

RickOShea wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Idaho has two different permits, the basic permit and the enhanced permit. Only the enhanced permit qualifies. (though both require an NCIS check to get - go figure)
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:11 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Idaho has two different permits, the basic permit and the enhanced permit. Only the enhanced permit qualifies. (though both require an NCIS check to get - go figure)
If that truely is the case, then that's kinda stupid. The enhanced permit just means you've had a little more training, which allows reciprocity with a few more States, besides the States that already recognize an Idaho basic permit.....it doesnt appear to "enhance" your ability to pass a background check. :clownshoes:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:05 pm

In LA ccw permits issued on or after 2015 qualify. However to the best of my knowledge my permit renewal in 2014 is no different from my wife's ccw permit that renewed in 2016?

Not sure why that date is relevant.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:03 pm

Good thing this came up....I just realized I have to renew mine next month. :oh:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:53 pm

chills1994 wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
chills1994 wrote:If you reloaded AND lived in a state that allowed suppressors, you could make subsonic ammo.

I worked with a guy over in Missouri once who had a CZ 527 chambered in 7.62X39. He brought some targets into work. At 100 yards, I'd say it was a 2 inch to 3 inch group kinda gun with steel cased ammo.
Or, get the .300 BO version....which looks to have a faster 1/7 twist rate, which should be more accurate with the longer/heavier subsonic boolitz....

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle ... /6968.html
It says "capacity: 5 " for the .300 Blackout version...

Does it not take AR (STANAG) magazines?

Because I think you can get 10 round AR mags.
Looks like the 2018 model now takes AR mags...

https://www.ruger.com/products/american ... 26968.html

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:24 am

SULSA DO CORPS TACTICAL SHOOTING

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:22 am

Gander Outdoors Announces 69 New Store Openings

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2018/01/0 ... -openings/

"Gander Mountain may be dead, but the passing is shortlived. After all, it was announced almost immediately that the brand would be resurrected as Gander Outdoors. The plan also included reopening a number of the previous Gander Mountain locations under the new brand....

....The plan is to apparently have these stores opened by May of 2018, which is good news for many. I can’t speak for all of these locations, but I know many lack a big box retailer such as Bass Pro Shops or Cabela’s (which are now the same thing, of course). While Mom & Pop stores exist in pretty much all of these places, those stores often lack the variety you find in a larger store.

Now, let’s just hope Gander Outdoors is much more sensible on their gun pricing than Gander Mountain tended to be."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 am

A link to a list of the reopened stores.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... ist-Gander

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:16 pm

The Gander closest to me closed but apparently another will open even closer. I purchased my fishing/hunting licenses there and some fishing lures now and then but mainly I found it a good place to look at new stuff and compare pricing to what I could find online. Once, I purchased 3 broadheads there for $40 and then found the same, exact broad heads online for $9 from Thailand.

That video with the kids is comical. Are they using pellet guns? There is an argument that any training can provide benefits but I'm not a believer. One can be greatly deceived by fighting with projectiles that cannot penetrate cardboard and "instruction" provided by someone with no real experience. If you can afford the money and time, 1 on 1 time with a dedicated instructor can really provide some dividends and allow you to design a personal training regimen. My friend Sean demonstrates:

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Well, there used to be a Gander Mtn. 30 miles to the west of me, and another one that was about 35 miles to the east.....but the Bass Pro is still only 10 miles away. :crazy:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:The Gander closest to me closed but apparently another will open even closer. I purchased my fishing/hunting licenses there and some fishing lures now and then but mainly I found it a good place to look at new stuff and compare pricing to what I could find online. Once, I purchased 3 broadheads there for $40 and then found the same, exact broad heads online for $9 from Thailand.

That video with the kids is comical. Are they using pellet guns? There is an argument that any training can provide benefits but I'm not a believer. One can be greatly deceived by fighting with projectiles that cannot penetrate cardboard and "instruction" provided by someone with no real experience. If you can afford the money and time, 1 on 1 time with a dedicated instructor can really provide some dividends and allow you to design a personal training regimen. My friend Sean demonstrates:

Holy cheese and crackers :shock: your friend Sean could probably throw the bullets and kill them.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Well, the Gander by me (12 miles) will be reopening, and there's always the Cabela's 42 miles south or the other one 45 miles NW, and the Bass Pro Shops ~60 miles south.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:Well, the Gander by me (12 miles) will be reopening, and there's always the Cabela's 42 miles south or the other one 45 miles NW, and the Bass Pro Shops ~60 miles south.
Sounds like a nice supply chain... :mrgreen:

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Don't have any Ganders here, got a sportsmens about 1 1/2 miles away, a sportco 5 miles, a bass pro 12 miles. Plus for firearms I just found out the farm as ranch down the street had a really nice firearm selection, expensive but they have a good amount.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Closest Gander Mountain store to me was in Lubbock, which is about an hour or so north of me.

I only stopped by there maybe two or three times in the past ten or so years. I didn't buy much more than a box of ammo each time since the prices were nuts.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:02 pm

LOL, and so it begins.....

https://www.facebook.com/Recoil.gun.lif ... 25095509:0

Do I have the math right? [ (19 + X) - X ] = 19

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:09 pm

RickOShea wrote:LOL, and so it begins.....

While I like Glock, I feel the 19x is like the 45 GAP, solving problems which don't exist. But maybe I'm not understanding some things in this world.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:07 am

woodsghost wrote:
RickOShea wrote:LOL, and so it begins.....

While I like Glock, I feel the 19x is like the 45 GAP, solving problems which don't exist. But maybe I'm not understanding some things in this world.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”