Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Halfapint wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Ruger 10mm, Kimber long slide 10mm, Ed Brown long slide 10mm, Hi-Point 10mm carbine.....guess er'rybody gonna go 10mm crazy for 2018. :ooh:
YAY! I do love 10mm! I just found out about MagTech carbines that you that can connect to 1911 frames, Glock frames, and Springfield pistol lowers they seem to perform well on videos I've found. I'm still waiting for a lever action 10mm! :awesome:
RPP will convert a Marlin '94 to 10mm/.40 S&W for you.....but I think it's around $1500....not including the donor rifle. :crazy:

Also, are you referring to the Mech Tech CCU? Those have been around for 20 years or so. They should have all the kinks worked out by now. :ooh:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:17 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Ruger 10mm, Kimber long slide 10mm, Ed Brown long slide 10mm, Hi-Point 10mm carbine.....guess er'rybody gonna go 10mm crazy for 2018. :ooh:
YAY! I do love 10mm! I just found out about MagTech carbines that you that can connect to 1911 frames, Glock frames, and Springfield pistol lowers they seem to perform well on videos I've found. I'm still waiting for a lever action 10mm! :awesome:
RPP will convert a Marlin '94 to 10mm/.40 S&W for you.....but I think it's around $1500....not including the donor rifle. :crazy:

Also, are you referring to the Mech Tech CCU? Those have been around for 20 years or so. They should have all the kinks worked out by now. :ooh:
Yeah, I was looking at that exact conversion, but not willing to spend nearly 3k or so on a converted rifle. Yes, that's it Mech Tech CCU, I actually saw the it on facespace and after that their website was down. Started looking at YT videos of performance and the kinks seem to have been worked out from earlier versions. I saw some pretty nasty reviews from some of the early stuff.

I'd be interested in that Hi-Point 10mm carbine as well. I'm sure it'll be ugly, heavy, but I've always liked the Hi-Point carbine after shooting the 9mm. Just wish they put out an extended mag (but I cant complain to much, glock doesn't put out an extended mag for the 10mm).
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Halfapint wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

Yeah, I was looking at that exact conversion, but not willing to spend nearly 3k or so on a converted rifle. Yes, that's it Mech Tech CCU, I actually saw the it on facespace and after that their website was down. Started looking at YT videos of performance and the kinks seem to have been worked out from earlier versions. I saw some pretty nasty reviews from some of the early stuff.

I'd be interested in that Hi-Point 10mm carbine as well. I'm sure it'll be ugly, heavy, but I've always liked the Hi-Point carbine after shooting the 9mm. Just wish they put out an extended mag (but I cant complain to much, glock doesn't put out an extended mag for the 10mm).
Doesn't Kriss make a 10mm version of their Vector rifle and pistol ?

If they do, it probably won't be long until they make a mag conversion kit like they do for the .45 ACP Glock mags.

And I kind of want one of those Hi-Point 10mm carbines as well. Although, I might pick one up in either 9mm or .45 since I don't stock 10mm right now and I'm trying to limit how many different calibers I stock.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:51 pm

I looked at Hi-Point when I was choosing my 9mm pistol/carbine combo. If they had made their mags double stack like everybody else, I think I would have chosen them.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:I looked at Hi-Point when I was choosing my 9mm pistol/carbine combo. If they had made their mags double stack like everybody else, I think I would have chosen them.
Speaking of HiPoints, magazines, and 10mm...

I have a .45 HiPo Carbeeen. Super awesome... but, when I shoot super duper hot cast boolits out of it, it jams every other round (Underwood 255 grain +PPPPPPP). It's def the bolt velocity being too fast and the mag spring sucking. So I hope they beef up the mag spring in the 10mm for super spicy loads.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 pm

MPMalloy wrote:I looked at Hi-Point when I was choosing my 9mm pistol/carbine combo. If they had made their mags double stack like everybody else, I think I would have chosen them.
I read something a long time ago about why Hi-Point mags aren't double stack and it basically boiled down to the owner wanted to keep the pistols and carbines 50 state legal. That and he didn't want to have to do a total redesign of the guns to accept double stack pattern mags.

There's an aftermarket company that makes extended mags for the various Hi-Point guns, though. I think it's called "Red Ball" or something like that. I'm not totally certain on the name.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:41 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
There's an aftermarket company that makes extended mags for the various Hi-Point guns, though. I think it's called "Red Ball" or something like that. I'm not totally certain on the name.

You are correct, my shotgun-wielding-primate friend

https://www.redballsports.net/
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 pm

I'm just glad 10mm is getting some attention. It's been around for a while after considering other rounds like 45acp (yes, it's true I don't have a 45), and other mag rounds I looked at loads and saw that you have some comparable stats between .41mag and 10mm, but the 10mm gets more than say 6 shots (15+1 in my case). I know there are after market mags for the Hi-Point but I've read there are a lot of issues.

Next question on my part is, What's the next bolt action caliber should I get? The largest I have is .308, what should I get into that's got substantially more oophf? Until I can find a range with 1k yard/meter I probably wont get anything. But I'd like to get something more powerful than 308. I don't want to start another thread just curious what people think.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Halfapint wrote:Next question on my part is, What's the next bolt action caliber should I get? The largest I have is .308, what should I get into that's got substantially more oophf? Until I can find a range with 1k yard/meter I probably wont get anything. But I'd like to get something more powerful than 308. I don't want to start another thread just curious what people think.
Is .30-06 more powerful? .338 Laupu?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:22 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Halfapint wrote:Next question on my part is, What's the next bolt action caliber should I get? The largest I have is .308, what should I get into that's got substantially more oophf? Until I can find a range with 1k yard/meter I probably wont get anything. But I'd like to get something more powerful than 308. I don't want to start another thread just curious what people think.
Is .30-06 more powerful? .338 Laupu?
.338 Lapua would be fun!!!

But if you're going Long Range. Half, I'd actually look at smaller like the 6.5 Grendel or Creedmoor. But since you don't have a 1,000 yard+ range, I'd go bigger in the "thumper" sense: .45-70. In a lever gun it would be fun!!! Especially if you reload (I think you do, right?)

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Next question on my part is, What's the next bolt action caliber should I get? The largest I have is .308, what should I get into that's got substantially more oophf? Until I can find a range with 1k yard/meter I probably wont get anything. But I'd like to get something more powerful than 308. I don't want to start another thread just curious what people think.
And if you feel the need to burn money, look up Cheytac.

But I think .308 is one of the more common rounds used to reach out to 1000 y/m.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Is .30-06 more powerful? .338 Laupu?
From my understanding .308 was the replacement for .30-06. It has similar ballistics to .308 and with modern powders can have a bit more power or whatever you want to call it but it's not enough of a gain to warrant me wanting to get it. I've been thinking .338 lapua that's the way I was heading, or maybe 300win mag
JeeperCreeper wrote:.338 Lapua would be fun!!!

But if you're going Long Range. Half, I'd actually look at smaller like the 6.5 Grendel or Creedmoor. But since you don't have a 1,000 yard+ range, I'd go bigger in the "thumper" sense: .45-70. In a lever gun it would be fun!!! Especially if you reload (I think you do, right?)
Hmm I've thought of getting 6.5 creedmore its got better ballistics to 308. But not sold on it or something much larger like the 338 lapua

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Halfapint wrote: From my understanding .308 was the replacement for .30-06. It has similar ballistics to .308 and with modern powders can have a bit more power or whatever you want to call it but it's not enough of a gain to warrant me wanting to get it. I've been thinking .338 lapua that's the way I was heading, or maybe 300win mag
.308 will never replace the .30-06. Never. NEVER!!!!! I don't care what the government and NATO says!!!! (breathes heavily in 7.62x63)... just remember... ladies love the extra 12mm on the Aught-Six...

But honestly, I wouldn't go for 300 win either if you have a 308. Both are used to get to a 1000 yards, but 308 is cheaper and less painful to shoot.

Advice from the pros:

“Get one caliber, learn your data, and don’t chase the new shiny.”
– Tyler Payne, US Army Marksmanship Unit, 1st Overall in Open Division

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Re: .308Win and .338LM. This will provide you some basics: https://www.swggun.org/338-lapua-vs-308/
The best part about the .338LM as an individual shooter is finding the RUAG 300gr Scenars for under $50 for a box of 10.
Ignore the cost, you ought to find the rifle you want in L/A and buy barrels for both calibers.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:38 pm

I didn't realize Hi-Point was making a 10mm carbine. If they turn out to be good I might have to pick one up.

I don't know, though. I think I'm done buying more firearms for the most part. I've crossed off the stuff on my short list, and between inheriting and being given other things as presents I've gotten to the point where I go years in between shooting some of my guns. That makes me feel kind of sad.

If five years ago someone had told me that some day I'd be saying that I don't want anymore guns I would have called them crazy. :lol:

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 pm

I'm still waiting for the CZ-97B in 10mm.

Yes, I know there are 10mm Witnesses. EAA is not CZ.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:16 pm

Now they're just getting ridiculous...

Ruger Super Redhawk 10mm

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 pm

I'm actually surprised Ruger didn't release a 10mm GP100 first. Though I'm sure it's in the works. :lol:

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:58 pm

Halfapint wrote:I'm just glad 10mm is getting some attention. It's been around for a while after considering other rounds like 45acp (yes, it's true I don't have a 45), and other mag rounds I looked at loads and saw that you have some comparable stats between .41mag and 10mm, but the 10mm gets more than say 6 shots (15+1 in my case). I know there are after market mags for the Hi-Point but I've read there are a lot of issues..
I bought a glock 40, even though I had a 45acp. Not carbine, but its hard for me to throw down a lot of money for a carbine in pistol caliber. Esp like the Henry levers.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:24 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I'm actually surprised Ruger didn't release a 10mm GP100 first. Though I'm sure it's in the works. :lol:
Or even a regular Redhawk. Or maybe an SP101. I'm guessing that it should be able to shoot .40 S&W as well so it seems like there would maybe be a market for a lighter revolver in 10mm.

I'm still waiting on my X-Frame .327 Federal that holds a gazillion rounds. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:40 am

quazi wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I'm actually surprised Ruger didn't release a 10mm GP100 first. Though I'm sure it's in the works. :lol:
Or even a regular Redhawk. Or maybe an SP101. I'm guessing that it should be able to shoot .40 S&W as well so it seems like there would maybe be a market for a lighter revolver in 10mm.

I'm still waiting on my X-Frame .327 Federal that holds a gazillion rounds. :lol:
I'd actually like to see a 10mm GP100 or maybe even a convertible .357/9mm model like Ruger makes in their single action line of revolvers.

I'd even like to see a .45 ACP version of the GP100.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Classic Firearms has Heritage Rough Rider .22s for $110. I know it wouldn't be as good as the Single Six I regret selling, but for that price I think it would still be a fun toy that would scratch the same itch.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:17 pm

quazi wrote:Classic Firearms has Heritage Rough Rider .22s for $110. I know it wouldn't be as good as the Single Six I regret selling, but for that price I think it would still be a fun toy that would scratch the same itch.
I've handled two... they are very nice little guns and my buddy loves his (even if he only shoots it rarely)

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Claude ham mercy, another Lego movie....

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”