Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:02 am

Just in case anyone wondered what the next step might be if somehow guns were to be banned...

Knives are too sharp and filing them down is solution to soaring violent crime, judge says

So good of the Brits to play pathfinder for us like this. :crazy:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:28 am

KJ4VOV wrote:Just in case anyone wondered what the next step might be if somehow guns were to be banned...

Knives are too sharp and filing them down is solution to soaring violent crime, judge says

Once they get them filed down they will never figure out how to get a point on the end of it again.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:28 am

Stercutus wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Stercutus wrote:But how will Tubbs fit it under his Irish Linen Tommy Bahama sportcoat with the big magazine hanging out the back?
Get with the times. He's gonna appendix carry it in his sagged baggy pants. :clownshoes:
Is that a shotgun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
Shotgun. ( Hehehehe Mungo straight )
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:03 am

Stercutus wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:Just in case anyone wondered what the next step might be if somehow guns were to be banned...

Once they get them filed down they will never figure out how to get a point on the end of it again.
Well no, not once they start requiring background checks and licensing to purchase files or abrasives.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:21 am

Stercutus wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Stercutus wrote:But how will Tubbs fit it under his Irish Linen Tommy Bahama sportcoat with the big magazine hanging out the back?
Get with the times. He's gonna appendix carry it in his sagged baggy pants. :clownshoes:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:27 pm

RickOShea wrote:Image
Thanks, I just shot sparking water out my nose......

On another note, does anyone have any experience with 100+ rd mags? I want one for experimentation. I see a lot out there that are for $100 then I see some that are $300, hell I saw one that was 150rd and it was $1000....... I need to go full mall ninja and I also need recommendation on blue cord wrap.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks, I just shot sparking water out my nose......
I think that is called a full reverse rainbow unicorn ( or FRRU )
Tap water of course is just a full reverse unicorn
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:10 pm

Quick review of Rio Low Recoil shot and slugs:

I like Rio Low Recoil shot. But I like Fiocchi better. Rio worked good enough. They patterned decently. I think better than the Fiocchi by an inch or two at 10 yards. But that is shotgun specific. I think the Fiocchi is a little softer recoiling though.

The Rio low recoil slugs were pleasant compared to many other slugs I have fired. I also sheared a bolt holding a target, so I'm not worried about the power of those slugs. I would NOT use them for bear or lions. But deer and 2 legged varmints inside 50 y/m I think they will do fine. Math suggests so too. They are high-brass, for what that is worth. Accuracy was fine at 20 yards. They were more accurate than I was until I got a feel for where to aim.

Just my experiences so far.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:12 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:10 pm
Quick review of Rio Low Recoil shot and slugs:

I like Rio Low Recoil shot. But I like Fiocchi better. Rio worked good enough. They patterned decently. I think better than the Fiocchi by an inch or two at 10 yards. But that is shotgun specific. I think the Fiocchi is a little softer recoiling though.

The Rio low recoil slugs were pleasant compared to many other slugs I have fired. I also sheared a bolt holding a target, so I'm not worried about the power of those slugs. I would NOT use them for bear or lions. But deer and 2 legged varmints inside 50 y/m I think they will do fine. Math suggests so too. They are high-brass, for what that is worth. Accuracy was fine at 20 yards. They were more accurate than I was until I got a feel for where to aim.

Just my experiences so far.
I got a good deal on a case of Rio Low recoil 12g 00-buck a while back and it ran without issue, even in my semi-auto which is finiky with low-recoil/birdshot etc
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:37 am

So far I've only missed 1 rifle match this year (they run once a month) and am slowly seeing improvement.

I started off with a rifle I'd never zero'd and panicked about hitting steel at any realistic distance and finishing either dead last or in the bottom 5. This match I had two fuck-ups a Miss and a failed mag reload that cost me time, even with those mistakes I finished 24/46 overall and 15/30 in Limited (red dot/no magnification) so making definite improvements.

Distance steel targets don't hold 'fear' for me but they are something I wish I could practice more. My double taps have gotten better and just need to continue to work on driving the gun.

I ran this match with my sling on the gun and learned it can really impact a speed reload - I'm also considering downloading to 28 for better reloads.

Also running the new Halographic optic by Vortex - it's a bit heavy but the solution is more reps at the gym.

Man is a beast of prey

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:21 am
Stercutus wrote:
LowKey wrote:
"like the footsteps of a Navy SEAL..."
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:46 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:02 am
Just in case anyone wondered what the next step might be if somehow guns were to be banned...

I love this part.
“Butchers and fishmongers do, but how often, if at all, does a domestic chef use the point of an eight-inch or ten-inch knife? Rarely, if at all."

"Acknowledging that any blade could cause injury, the judge pointed out “slash wounds are rarely fatal.”
In the past two months, he said, there have been 77 knife-related incidents in Bedfordshire, including three killings.
So when using British cutlery as an offensive stabbing weapon, you have only a 3.9% chance of killing someone. And the courts assume that using cutlery as on offensive slashing weapon, reduces the chance of fatalities to <3.9% with mandatory non pointed cutlery?!?

But what about pointed sticks?!?

thanhhai

I have a question

Post by thanhhai » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 am

I bought a Ruger 10/22 new about two and a half years ago, in an attempt to get into shooting. However, just after I bought it, I moved to where I live now, and I was so busy with school that I never got a chance to enroll in the local gun club.

Now, I am finally in a position to get that membership and go shooting for the first time. I read a lot on here about people disassembling and/or cleaning their weapons before their first use. Is this something I should do? I bought a cleaning kit with the gun, but I have never used it. I guess it's something that wouldn't hurt to do, but I don't know if it's necessary.

Thanks in advance for the help with such a basic question!

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Welp. Just bought a 475 Linebaugh revolver. Ridiculous Big Bore revolver ticked off my bucket list. :|
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:00 pm

brothaman wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 pm
Welp. Just bought a 475 Linebaugh revolver. Ridiculous Big Bore revolver ticked off my bucket list. :|
Nice! I always wanted a .480 Ruger... Is the barrel ported? I was shooting a .460 and with a ported barrel it handled better than most .44 magnums.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Question: WHY IS THE SPRINGFIELD XD THE NICKELBACK OF FIREARMS?

I see everywhere online that everyone is trashing the XD. Not just for SA's terrible marketing and business decisions or the "gripzone" stuff..

...but it seems like everyone is saying they are junk and fail all the time and it's like everyone keeps saying that "I am an instructor and 7/10 failures are XDs in my class"

There is so much hate, it reminds me of Nickelback where everyone loved them until it wasn't cool to like their music (some for good reason)
I guess that's what I get for following gun meme pages

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:03 pm

I see everywhere online that everyone is trashing the XD. Not just for SA's terrible marketing and business decisions or the "gripzone" stuff..

...but it seems like everyone is saying they are junk and fail all the time and it's like everyone keeps saying that "I am an instructor and 7/10 failures are XDs in my class"

There is so much hate, it reminds me of Nickelback where everyone loved them until it wasn't cool to like their music (some for good reason)
I LOVE my Springfield, I love them even more after building my g17's. the triggers are 100x's better than anything glock produces, and better than most guns I've shot (except extremely high end guns). Sights are meh, but I generally buy after market ones first thing anyways. Plus for the XDM 9mm, 19+1 for the standard, glock most others are 15-17+1.

I have absolutely no idea why no one likes them. The original version had some issues, but the MOD.2 fixed them and it's been out for a long time.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:

I LOVE my Springfield, I love them even more after building my g17's. the triggers are 100x's better than anything glock produces, and better than most guns I've shot (except extremely high end guns). Sights are meh, but I generally buy after market ones first thing anyways. Plus for the XDM 9mm, 19+1 for the standard, glock most others are 15-17+1.

I have absolutely no idea why no one likes them. The original version had some issues, but the MOD.2 fixed them and it's been out for a long time.
An XD in .45 was one of the most accurate guns I have shot. It fit me rather well. I don't know if others would be the same. I'd like to try another one.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:10 pm
Halfapint wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:

An XD in .45 was one of the most accurate guns I have shot. It fit me rather well. I don't know if others would be the same. I'd like to try another one.
Yeah my go-to .45 is a SA XD. I didn't want it at first but ti was a deal and I thought I'd try. I now have 2. I've also had an XDm. Never an issue through thousands of rounds from 100* hunting in TX and OK (other than losing a mag) to Alaskan winters.

I'm guessing it't the "elites vs. normos" arguments... I just didn't know if I missed a big torture test or report or something

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:19 pm

I almost bought an XD45 years ago.

Looking back, I'm kind of glad I didn't because the shop I went to had it marked up at an extremely high level (like 200 bucks OVER msrp). I'd have overpaid for a gun that could be had for a lot less elsewhere and I'd have felt bad about it later.

I still kind of want an XD45 or an XD9, but I'm too invested in my Glocks right now to add an XD to my collection.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:31 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:29 pm
I'm guessing it't the "elites vs. normos" arguments... I just didn't know if I missed a big torture test or report or something
Problems with the striker retainer roll pin breaking is probably the #1 thing.

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=119763&p=2669514#p2669514
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:36 pm

Didn't you used to get a pistol case, a kydex holster, a double mag kydex holster and 3 mags when you bought an XD? But wait there's more. You get a backstrap safety. :(

XD LOL ;P

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 pm

The short barrel XD seems to be displacing the HiPoint as thug gun of choice. I am not sure why. They easily cost more than twice as much as a HiPoint.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:19 pm
The short barrel XD seems to be displacing the HiPoint as thug gun of choice. I am not sure why. They easily cost more than twice as much as a HiPoint.
I read the same thing about the SCCY pistols. I don't know.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”