Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Langenator » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:44 pm

So, about a month or so ago, I ventured for the first time into the realm of the truly low cost, 'budget' AR-15. Back when everyone thought the Dowager Empress of Chappaqua was going to win the election, I bought 4 Tennessee Arms synthetic AR-15 lowers (because that was all I could find that wasn't a $200 billet lower). Then they sat around in my gun safe, not getting used, for about a year and a half.

Finally, I decided to do something with at least one of them, and soon after, PSA had one of their classic carbine kitsas a daily special, so I snagged one. 16" barrel, carbine gas, old school handguards, all in Flat Dork Earth to match the lower.

Overall, assembly of the lower was pretty much the easiest I've ever done. The only thing that was different from building on a standard aluminum lower was that I had to bust out the X-Acto knife and trim a small amount of waste plastic from around the bolt catch roll pin holes. (The roll pin hole for the trigger guard roll pin did not have the same issue.) Actually inserting the bolt catch roll pin was the easiest of any of the AR lowers I've assembled so far (this was my 6th - I know, I know, rookie numbers) I think due to the relative slickness of the plastic lower. (This slickness would cause an issue later, in a different spot.)

The only gripe I had with the lower parts kit, and it's a minor was, is that once assembled, there's a decent bit of 'slop' in the selector lever. It still functions just fine - hammer doesn't fire on Safe, hammer falls on Fire - there's just some play in it. Annoying, but hey, it's a $350 AR-15.

So (assuming I've figured out how to make imgur work) here's a pic of the assembled rifle:

The rear sight I had floating around my parts box from something I built with fixed irons first and then put a scope on later. I think I've had it for 8 or 9 years.

Yesterday, I finally got to take my low-cost toy out to the range, along with 50 rounds of Freedom 55 gr Reman .223 ammo. Intent was to get the sights zeroed, then just run through whatever rounds were left.

I started out with 3 round groups, just like the Army trained me, on an M4 zero target. On the second round of the second (3 round) magazine, something went wrong with the trigger. Normal trigger pull effort did not make the rifle fire. I cleared the rifle, shotgunned it, but didn't see anything obviously broken or out of place. Cocked the hammer back, pulled the trigger, pulled harder, pulled even harder, and it finally worked. Tried it a couple more times, same thing. Getting the hammer to fall for some reason now required a trigger pull effort that would make the NYPD's liability lawyers have orgasms. The trigger wasn't gritty or anything, it just required enormous effort to get it to break.

In spite of the now brutal trigger pull, I got the rifle zeroed. It performed quite respectably for a sub-$400 rifle with a super heavy trigger pull.

Target is the last 19 rounds, fired in 5 round groups. The group off the silouette to the left is the first group.

Other than the trigger pull problem, there were no other issues to report.

Today I cleaned the rifle. Looking at the right side of the rifle, I noticed something amiss:

Flipped it over, and, sure enough...

the trigger pin had displaced to the right and out of the hole on the left side. Remember earlier when I mentioned that the plastic receiver was nice and slick when inserting the bolt catch roll pin? I'm pretty sure that slickness is what led to this problem. Less friction, recoil...and the pin slides out. I think I didn't spot it at the range because, when I opened up the rifle, I was still holding it in my right hand, and thus looking down into the trigger well from above and to the left. The protruding pin would thus have been out of sight. I think.

Note that the play I noted in the selector lever can also been seen in the above photo.

Anyway, after I put the pin back where it belongs, the trigger went back to normal, comparable with the other parts kit triggers I have (DoubleStar, RRA, CMMG, and some company I don't remember; I'm not going to compare it to the POF and LaRue triggers). I'm not sure I want to leave it and see what happens on the next range trip, or just get a set of anti-walk pins now and be done with it.

One other thing I noticed when I broke down the rifle for cleaning: the front pivot pin sits flush with the receiver on the left side, meaning a punch is required to push it out.

This being my first experience with both PSA kits and TN Arms receivers, I can't say if the pin is slightly short, or if the receiver is slightly thick. The dimple in the center of the pin leads me to think it's the former.

Overall, the gun went bang when the trigger was pulled. Even when the trigger pin slipped and pulling the trigger required a hard enough squeeze to make milk from an almond. That was still in the shell. And the grouping on the zero target was pretty decent, especially considering the trigger pull required.

For under $400, what more do you want?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Langenator wrote:So, about a month or so ago, I ventured for the first time into the realm of the truly low cost, 'budget' AR-15. Back when everyone thought the Dowager Empress of Chappaqua was going to win the election, I bought 4 Tennessee Arms synthetic AR-15 lowers (because that was all I could find that wasn't a $200 billet lower). Then they sat around in my gun safe, not getting used, for about a year and a half.
I bought a ten pack of PSA lowers for $55 each OTD/shipped - one I built immediately with a kit as my first/learner/budget AR. I'm slowly getting parts for a nice DMR-style build now... The other 8 will likely just sit around and wait for a while.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Langenator, I have had good luck with CMC trigger pins and get them for $11 from my local shop. Check them out. I wasn't a fan of the KNS trigger pins everyone uses.

(side note: stay away from CMC lower parts kits...)
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:24 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Langenator, I have had good luck with CMC trigger pins and get them for $11 from my local shop. Check them out. I wasn't a fan of the KNS trigger pins everyone uses.

I'll have to keep that in mind...they're less than half the cost of the KNS pins. (I already ordered a set, because Primary Arms had a flash sale on Anderson LPKs, and well, I've got several lowers with no guts. Primary, annoyingly, doesn't seem to carry CMC pins. Triggers, but not the pins. Maybe I'll drop them a line and ask why.)

KNS is a sponsor of my current favorite competitive shooting event, the Waco Tactical Fitness run-n-gun, so I don't really feel bad about buying them.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:11 am

Anybody have any experience/reviews/thirdhand knowledge from their barber's cousin's gardner's nephew about the Sig MCX hybrid pistol in .300 Blackout?

Looks like this:

( " Chills1994...now that's a name I have not heard in a long time.... a long time. " ) :lol:

Guns are icky!

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:35 am

chills1994 wrote:Anybody have any experience/reviews/thirdhand knowledge from their barber's cousin's gardner's nephew about the Sig MCX hybrid pistol in .300 Blackout?

Looks like this:

( " Chills1994...now that's a name I have not heard in a long time.... a long time. " ) :lol:
I honestly can't keep up with SIG's changing product lines...
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:39 am

Heck, why not....

Mossberg’s New Magazine-Fed 590M Shockwave 12 Gauge

North Haven, CT – Combining the convenience and adaptability of a mag-fed shotgun with a “Non-NFA” pump-action platform, Mossberg is proud to introduce the 590M Shockwave 12-gauge firearm with 15-inch barrel, pistol grip and the world’s first double-stack, 10-round shotgun magazine. And for greater versatility, optional 5, 10, 15 and 20-round capacity magazines are sold as accessories. This compact 12-gauge is classified by the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) as a “Non-NFA Firearm,” requiring no tax stamp for transfers.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:39 am

But how will Tubbs fit it under his Irish Linen Tommy Bahama sportcoat with the big magazine hanging out the back?
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Stercutus wrote:But how will Tubbs fit it under his Irish Linen Tommy Bahama sportcoat with the big magazine hanging out the back?
Get with the times. He's gonna appendix carry it in his sagged baggy pants. :clownshoes:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:39 pm

RickOShea wrote:Heck, why not....

North Haven, CT – Combining the convenience and adaptability of a mag-fed shotgun with a “Non-NFA” pump-action platform, Mossberg is proud to introduce the 590M Shockwave 12-gauge firearm with 15-inch barrel, pistol grip and the world’s first double-stack, 10-round shotgun magazine. And for greater versatility, optional 5, 10, 15 and 20-round capacity magazines are sold as accessories. This compact 12-gauge is classified by the BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) as a “Non-NFA Firearm,” requiring no tax stamp for transfers.

Is there any firearm or modification that allows for it to be tube fed OR a magazine inserted at the same time? Meaning, the pump will feed from the tube, unless there is a magazine inserted, then it will feed from the magazine?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:22 pm

00dlez wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Heck, why not....

Is there any firearm or modification that allows for it to be tube fed OR a magazine inserted at the same time? Meaning, the pump will feed from the tube, unless there is a magazine inserted, then it will feed from the magazine?
I guess not.....until they can figure out a way for the lifter for the tube mag to not get in the way of the box mag.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:46 pm

LowKey wrote:
Stercutus wrote:But how will Tubbs fit it under his Irish Linen Tommy Bahama sportcoat with the big magazine hanging out the back?
Get with the times. He's gonna appendix carry it in his sagged baggy pants. :clownshoes:
Is that a shotgun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
Shall be my brother

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:23 pm

Stercutus wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Is that a shotgun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
Just a .410 I'm afraid... :oops:

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:33 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
chills1994 wrote:Anybody have any experience/reviews/thirdhand knowledge from their barber's cousin's gardner's nephew about the Sig MCX hybrid pistol in .300 Blackout?

Looks like this:

I honestly can't keep up with SIG's changing product lines...
Yeah....they must keep their marketing department busy.

I bought a Sig Tac Ops 1911 in 10mm last month.

In going back and forth with my kitchen table FFL guy via email, I originally wanted a Sig M400 pistol in FDE. He couldn't find one, but IIRC he found this MCX hybrid and the Sig Rattler... which looks like this:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/ca ... t-face.jpg

I got kinda tired of the back and forth email exchange so I asked him about their 10mm 1911. He replied back and I said I'll take it.

It is my first black handgun. And my first handgun with a light rail. I promptly bought a TLR-2 for it.

Now, I kinda have an eye out for holsters that will accomodate a light.

Do you guys have any suggestions for holster makers?

Guns are icky!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:13 pm

chills1994 wrote: It is my first black handgun. And my first handgun with a light rail. I promptly bought a TLR-2 for it.

Depends on what you are looking for....IWB, OWB, retention, no retention, MOLLE, belt, paddle, etc., etc.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:44 pm

RickOShea wrote:
chills1994 wrote: It is my first black handgun. And my first handgun with a light rail. I promptly bought a TLR-2 for it.

Depends on what you are looking for....IWB, OWB, retention, no retention, MOLLE, belt, paddle, etc., etc.
OWB, belt... retention not necessary

Not that I shoot the USPSA/IDPA/steel challenge games anymore, but I would like to try my hand at say shooting the old 90 round IDPA classifier as a "barometer" of my skills.

And/or the old school USPSA/IPSC classifier stage called the El Prez. It seems like shooting the El Prez and getting all hits on target in 4 seconds or less is like running a 4 minute mile.

Guns are icky!

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:46 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:Langenator, I have had good luck with CMC trigger pins and get them for $11 from my local shop. Check them out. I wasn't a fan of the KNS trigger pins everyone uses.

Interesting, I like the CMC single stage trigger I have in my AR right now.
Man is a beast of prey

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:47 am

I am Blackhawk and Safariland holster fan. I wore a Blackhawk in the Army and Safariland at the current job. Both are quality rigs and last near forever.
Shall be my brother

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:02 am

Smith and Wesson is back on the Rebate Train if anyone wants to climb aboard... maybe some Thompson Center rebates in the works as well...

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm going to be on the "Paying for braces" train for the next several months. No new gun stuff for me. :ohdear:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:52 pm

My wife would like if you would consider the environmental impacts of your plastic receivers and plastic magazines. She would appreciate it if you would use aluminum or steel. And wood furniture.

I love my wife. She loves a good, traditional long gun and has a real soft spot for reusing and recycling. She is fine with lead bullets. Lead is natural. I expect she will not be fond of the plastic cased rifle ammo technology which might be commonplace soon. She also approves of a traditional AK :clap: :awesome: Best woman I know.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:08 pm

woodsghost wrote:My wife would like if you would consider the environmental impacts of your plastic receivers and plastic magazines. She would appreciate it if you would use aluminum or steel. And wood furniture.

I love my wife. She loves a good, traditional long gun and has a real soft spot for reusing and recycling. She is fine with lead bullets. Lead is natural. I expect she will not be fond of the plastic cased rifle ammo technology which might be commonplace soon. She also approves of a traditional AK :clap: :awesome: Best woman I know.
Your wife would hate me since about 90 percent of my guns are made of plastic or have plastic parts.

The only gun I own that doesn't have any plastic on it is my Mosin. :lol:

Everything else either has plastic stocks, grips or mags.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:17 pm

woodsghost wrote:My wife would like if you would consider the environmental impacts of your plastic receivers and plastic magazines. She would appreciate it if you would use aluminum or steel. And wood furniture.

My wife prefers wood and steel as well. Mostly the old bolt action milsurp guns. Semi-automatic rifles are "too noisy and make a mess throwing brass everywhere".
Shall be my brother

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:04 pm

Fun day at the range sighting in a new scope on the 10/22 and running 18 more rounds of Hydra-Shok Deep 135gr 9mm through my CZ75 clone. Only one "click but no bang" all day and it was from the 10/22 on a single round of Federal Premium 36gr HP LR (about halfway through a box of 500+ and that was the first failure). The Hydra-Shok Deep performed perfectly in the CZ, and left holes in the target like wad cutters. All in all, not a bad day, even if my range buddy did knock over his Coke in the back of my truck, all over my new Hawaiian shirt I'd taken off to keep it clean. :roll:

Got the 10/22 sighted in such that I can do a number on the bullseye with a 25 round mag at 100 yards, using a shooting stick as a brace. These old knees don't like that standing stuff anymore though, so most of the time I sat in a chair and shot with elbows on the table. (Auntie Mabel would be shocked!)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”