Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Also, I had no idea Jerry Lewis was a gun guy.
Yeah I saw that pop up on another site. He had a lot of shotties and snubbies. You should check out some of the other auction items. I wish I were rich so I could buy some of those old louis vuitton trunks for my girlfriend. She loves classic stuff.
I'd love to be rich enough to buy one or two of his guns.

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Stercutus wrote:Dood made the wise decision not to use a crush washer on the muzzle break thingy. Not sure if pleased I discovered this before shooting or annoyed. Gonna go with "mostly happy" for now. I guess I don't have to have the MB to shoot it.

The paint is disappearing fast. Who hosts free pics these days?
Imgur and Google Photos come to mind first. I think Reddit's got a hosting service, but it may be tied to Reddit posts.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 pm

boskone wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Dood made the wise decision not to use a crush washer on the muzzle break thingy. Not sure if pleased I discovered this before shooting or annoyed. Gonna go with "mostly happy" for now. I guess I don't have to have the MB to shoot it.

Imgur and Google Photos come to mind first. I think Reddit's got a hosting service, but it may be tied to Reddit posts.
Google cant be edited to make smaller from what I see.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:30 am

Stercutus wrote:I have been exorcising the demons of Satan that have been inhabiting the paint machine. The thing was actually possessed. It made me speak bad words. While I was working on the lower trying to get some crud out of it the upper jumped off the table and landed scope first on ground. I was standing a good five feet away and not touching the table so there is no Earthly reason for it to fall off the table. Later while I was cleaning it a coyote wandered by and gave me the dead eye, as if to say: "Go ahead make my day, like you even could, MF"

So it kind of went like:

1. Clean out paint
2. Shoot till it malfs
3. Repeat

I noticed at some point that the gas tube was way out of kilter where it locks with the bolt. So I took the hand guards off and that is when I noticed that the gas block was only attached with three screws and not tight enough to hold in place. :oh: that might explain a few things.

I went back inside and grabbed my Ruger LCP (which is one of the top 100 guns I own) to do a comparison of which was more reliable. The Ruger averaged 1 malf every 5 rounds. After the first magazine the Paint Machine averaged 1 every 2.5 rounds. So in the event of ZPAW I am picking the Ruger LCP over the AR, at least over that AR anyway.
Image Image

:lol: Every gun I own is in my top 100.

I've been thinking about the paint machine. Maybe it was one of those test guns that someone dragged behind a truck on a gravel road, ran over with a Humvee, submerged in mud for a week, then they just touched it up, with the added bonus of a used 30 sight. Once you get the paint off, will the anodizing still be there?

Or maybe the builder thought that a good coat of paint is more than enough to glue the gas block on the barrel.

My mom's elderly friend [who was 80 something at the time] painted her car [which was 20 something at the time] with a paintbrush and house enamel to 'spruce it up' before selling it. :gonk:

When you're ready, if you call it a patina, the resale value doubles.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
My mom's elderly friend [who was 80 something at the time] painted her car [which was 20 something at the time] with a paintbrush and house enamel to 'spruce it up' before selling it. :gonk:
I once bought a fiberglass sailboat as a cheap project boat with a similar paint job. 90% of the effort was getting that paint off. House paint is very durable. :roll:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:56 pm

Or maybe the builder thought that a good coat of paint is more than enough to glue the gas block on the barrel.
That is what I am thinking.

After removing the gas block (a cheap YH model that uses bolts to hold it on) I noticed that missing bolt had snapped off in the lower section of the gas block and the top part of bolt was gone. I figured he painted over it to seal it enough to get it running. I shot the magazine through it and knocked the paint out and that was that. I am going to head to Ye ole' local gun shop today and see if it is worth drilling out and putting new good bolts in there or maybe just replace it with a new better quality one and get them to take off the painted over gas tube for salavage. (maybe pick up a new crush washer too). A new gas black will likely set me back $75-85, thus raising the rifle to an investment grade AR.

With some of the paint off now I can tell the upper is an Omega, the BCG is an RG, The barrel is a Bushy, the block is YH and still working on identifying other parts. The lower is all Bushy (with a nice solid coat of paint inside the housing and all over the trigger group).

All the paint is out of the inside of the upper now and the bolt cycles nice and smooth. Once I get gas in there it should run like a top.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:07 pm

You can get a quality non adjustable gas block for mid 30's and sometimes lower. Almost all aftermarket gas blocks use bolts to hold them on, there are two main types, clamp on and set screws. The set screws require that a dimple be set into the barrel requiring a jig for proper placement, alignment, etc. Those jigs are $25 -35. Go with the clamp on for your paint machine, all other IMO use set screw.

If you have a broke bolt removal kit ~$9 at home depot you can take that out yourself.

If its a bushmaster lower then its probably a bushmaster lower parts kit. Pull the stock off and see if the buffer tube is commercial or mil-spec.

I'd also check to make sure you buffer itself is the correct type. Carbine size for carbine, etc. Weirdness should be expected with this one.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:33 pm

I think it may cost me around $1800. Ye Ole' Gun Shop said they would put a new A2 block on and reattach gas tube for $20 including parts. For that price I will let them put it on. Unfortunately they had a new beautifully built AR10 in 6.5 Creedmore fully outfitted with a very nice Burris Scope, gorgeous stock, 22" SS match barrel, and bipod that caused me to become unsettled. It is the antithesis of everything the paint machine is. I am now digging through the basement looking for junk to trade in. If I can make it through the pickup procedure without caving it could come in at $20, otherwise....
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:41 pm

We still haven't seen a photo of paint machine. What's up with that?

You can hotlink from imgur.com for free

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:08 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:We still haven't seen a photo of paint machine. What's up with that?

You can hotlink from imgur.com for free
Yeah pictures or not only didn't it happen , but the monkey gun is actually a hello Kitty carbine :lol:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:14 pm

Halfapint wrote:
boskone wrote:

Maybe not; I usually throw photos through paint.net to fiddle with (crop and resize) anyway, so I've never tried.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:50 am

boskone wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
boskone wrote:

Maybe not; I usually throw photos through paint.net to fiddle with (crop and resize) anyway, so I've never tried.
The pics I post, I take with the purpose of posting and set my capture device at 640X480 before snapping. Imgur you can resize and crop. Google Photo I see a way to crop and rotate but not resize. Probably why I don't use that service.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:24 pm

So,.. I finally got my cash together for my next custom. Now I don't know what caliber,.. I was going 44 Mag, but now I'm thinking 357 mag or 475 Linebaugh, maybe go wildcat,... *sigh*
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Someone talk me out of putting my Mark 3 22/45 up for trade.

I've got this idea to toss my 22/45 up on a local sales board and see if I can't trade it for a Mk 4 model 22/45. I don't shoot it much, but I'd still rather not have to do the whole Ruger hokey pokey reassembly dance when it does get dirty.

Which is where the new Mk.4 comes in. Disassembly is much easier as is reassembly, which makes it the clear winner in my mind.

Only problem is finding someone who wants a Mk.3 instead of a Mk.4 Ruger.

I guess if no one wants it, I'll just keep it and invest in a sonic cleaner when the time comes to clean it.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:06 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Someone talk me out of putting my Mark 3 22/45 up for trade.

I've got this idea to toss my 22/45 up on a local sales board and see if I can't trade it for a Mk 4 model 22/45. I don't shoot it much, but I'd still rather not have to do the whole Ruger hokey pokey reassembly dance when it does get dirty.

Which is where the new Mk.4 comes in. Disassembly is much easier as is reassembly, which makes it the clear winner in my mind.

I guess if no one wants it, I'll just keep it and invest in a sonic cleaner when the time comes to clean it.
Majestic Arms sells a takedown kit for as little as $50. Friend of mine had one and raved about it; I'm cheap enough I don't find the disassembly a big-enough deal to pay $50 to overcome.

...that said, I wouldn't mind a mkIV 22/45 Lite.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:11 pm

boskone wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Someone talk me out of putting my Mark 3 22/45 up for trade.

Majestic Arms sells a takedown kit for as little as $50. Friend of mine had one and raved about it; I'm cheap enough I don't find the disassembly a big-enough deal to pay $50 to overcome.

...that said, I wouldn't mind a mkIV 22/45 Lite.
That's what I'm hoping someone will offer up. :clap:

I have the Mk.3 22/45 Lite, but I just want to upgrade to the Mk.4 because of the ease of takedown and reassembly.

The Majestic Arms kit sounds like a good idea if I can't get a good deal on the sales board.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Ruger GP100....round two ;) Your sagas keep us coming back to Firearms Chat.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 pm

woodsghost wrote:

Ruger GP100....round two ;) Your sagas keep us coming back to Firearms Chat.
Well, this saga ended before it could start. :gonk:

The owner of the local sales board just posted to the boards letting us know he's going to be deleting the board on Saturday. Something about not wanting to deal with it anymore and wanting to focus on his other hobbies.

ETA: I guess I should take this as a sign I'm supposed to keep my 22/45. :lol:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Another Ruger 10mm revolver.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:32 am

I should have gone to a closer gun shop. The one I dropped my paint machine upper off with the owner got indicted in Federal Court yesterday on an eight figure Federal fraud case. He will be going to the pokey. I'll find out today if they are still open. On the upside the demons that were inhabiting it picked a new target. :D

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 pm

So I've been curious about the new Federal Hydra-Shok Deep 9mm rounds. All the information I could get on them seems to be consistent with their claims of 15" penetration with full expansion so when a site I buy from had 'em for $19 box of 20 I grabbed a couple. I was kinda concerned about them feeding properly but my SAR B6P went through a mag full with nary a hiccup. The load seems a little bit hotter than the 124 gr HST rounds I usually carry but comparing the specs (124gr @ 1150fps vs. 135gr @1050fps) makes me think it's my imagination. Until I can afford more to run through the gun I'm saving a mag full for the bedroom/house gun but won't use it for EDC. It's summer anyway, so I'm carrying my Shield .45 anyway.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I cannot watch zombie flicks anymore. The violence & gore disturbs me.

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 am

Hey KJ, It's good to see ya back! :D
Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Hey KJ, It's good to see ya back! :D
Good to be back, Mr. M
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:51 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:Hey KJ, It's good to see ya back! :D
Good to be back, Mr. M
I take it HQ unscrewed the issue with the email lockout thing ?

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”