Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

woodsghost

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:22 pm

Stercutus wrote:So it turns out I am a total gun whore after all. I was in the LGS and saw a Bushy with some Magpul furniture, a Truglo RDS, short gas system, Blackhawk grip, some kind of damn muzzle brake, ASC Stock.... several howler monkeys had gotten a hold of a few cans of spray paint and painted it all over. Hell, they even painted the charging handle. $500 consignment... gotta ask will he take 400? Because you know I really need another rifle... Yeah he will take 400... goddamit....
Whore.

I'd have done the same. ;)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Never had a Truglo sight before. Worst parallax ever. Wonder if he got rid of it because he couldn't hit shit with it. That thing is going straight in the trash... I am going to stick a Romeo on there. Geez the monkeys even painted the sight.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Stercutus wrote:Never had a Truglo sight before. Worst parallax ever. Wonder if he got rid of it because he couldn't hit shit with it. That thing is going straight in the trash... I am going to stick a Romeo on there. Geez the monkeys even painted the sight.

I'd just give it the ole brake cleaner shower and hope for the best...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:04 pm

Stercutus wrote:Yeah he will take 400... goddamit....
You did better than me. They would know me well enough to say:"$450 Will take it..."; and know I would say ok. :roll:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:09 pm

The paint on the charging handle feels like rubber when charging the weapon. Dude even painted the magazine all the way up to the lips and the follower. Who the fuck paints a follower? And for WHAT PURPOSE? We need to have a thread on how to paint a magazine so bubba doesn't ruin perfectly good magazines.

I might try the mag for giggle or use it for training when wanting to induce malfs. I can push the follower down a few inches and it holds in place all on it's own. :lol:

Everything else seems good so far. Dirt and gunk for days.
Shall be my brother

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:10 pm

raptor wrote:
You did better than me. They would know me well enough to say:"$450 Will take it..."; and know I would say ok. :roll:
I don't know what I would offer. Knowing I can get an un-bubba-ed and NIB build for like $400, I'd probably offer $400 since it had some cool stuff even if were painted by elmer fudd hisself.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:42 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
raptor wrote:
I don't know what I would offer. Knowing I can get an un-bubba-ed and NIB build for like $400, I'd probably offer $400 since it had some cool stuff even if were painted by elmer fudd hisself.
I might've offered $350 because of the drunken monkey paint job, but that could probably be fixed with some paint stripper and a couple hours worth of scrubbing.

I always pass up the drunk monkey paint job guns at the local shops simply because of how bad they are. Well, that and I have no idea if they painted the guns to cover up major damage or if they were just bored and had some extra spray cans laying around in their garage.

I'd hate to buy a gun and then find out the reason it was painted was to hide a major defect or damaged part and then find out it was unfixable because of that.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:58 pm

The trigger, bolt, receivers and barrel are all good. But he put enough paint on it to stop it up real good. Then poured lube on it in hopes it would cycle. He painted the take down pins. Had to use a hammer to get the front one out. Scratched the paint. :rofl:
Shall be my brother

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Stercutus wrote:The trigger, bolt, receivers and barrel are all good. But he put enough paint on it to stop it up real good. Then poured lube on it in hopes it would cycle. He painted the take down pins. Had to use a hammer to get the front one out. Scratched the paint. :rofl:
:clap: :clap:

I just read this thread and the last part got me. How could you damage that paint job! those drunken monkeys worked hard on that!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Reading about Stercutus' Bushmaster with the 8 dollar drunk monkey paint job really has me wishing the "WTF rifle of the month" thread still existed. :lol:

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Stercutus wrote:The trigger, bolt, receivers and barrel are all good. But he put enough paint on it to stop it up real good. Then poured lube on it in hopes it would cycle. He painted the take down pins. Had to use a hammer to get the front one out. Scratched the paint. :rofl:
:clap: :clap:

I just read this thread and the last part got me. How could you damage that paint job! those drunken monkeys worked hard on that!
He should give it a nice coat of Turtle Wax... protects paint against acid rain and UV light. Works great on my car.

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 pm

We need pics of Stercutus' new piece, still painted if possible.

Also, I vote that he get "Absumat Ebria Simia" (Google translate for "drunken monkey") engraved on it somewhere.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Dood made the wise decision not to use a crush washer on the muzzle break thingy. Not sure if pleased I discovered this before shooting or annoyed. Gonna go with "mostly happy" for now. I guess I don't have to have the MB to shoot it.

The paint is disappearing fast. Who hosts free pics these days?
Shall be my brother

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:35 pm

Also saw what looked like a Gen 1 G17 and a 4" Python in the catalog...

Gun collection of late comedian Jerry Lewis up for auction

Apparently, the New Jersey-born “King of Comedy” was a fan of snub-nosed revolvers, Beretta pistols and various riot guns.

While the late slapsticky telethon host and actor who moved in much the same orbit as the famous Rat Pack for years has a lot of Hollywood-Vegas collectibles coming up for auction — to include gold watches given to him by both Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr. — it is his firearm collection that is featured first in a 212-page catalog by Julien’s Auctions set for Friday.

Along with his Las Vegas Metro-issued concealed carry permit, estimated to bring $300, Juliens has no less than eight Beretta semi-auto handguns — mostly Model 92s — a pair of Smith & Wesson 3913 compacts, a Colt Agent, and at least 16 Smith & Wesson snubnosed J-frame .38s. One of the latter, a Centennial Model 40, is inscribed “Jerry Love Mel 8-74” which could have come from toe-tapping jazz crooner Mel Torme who appeared with Lewis in his MDA telethon for a duet in 1974....

…..Lewis also had a number of shotguns, to include Mossberg, Remingtons, and Winchesters, across several different gauges ranging from a trio of pistol grip Model 500s, two Defender riot guns and an immaculate Remy 1100LT with high-gloss walnut furniture to a $20,000 silver inlaid John Rigby SXS. Several classic guns such as a Browning Hi-Power and a tabletop full of Colt SAA’s round out the collection.

The cowboy guns — including a Buntline Special complete with a 12-inch barrel and Arvo Ojala leather holster rig — speak to Lewis’s regular nightclub act that for a time included a quick draw routine.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:51 am

I guess long gone are the days when Hollywood stars held shooting matches and quick draw competitions. Lewis was supposed to be the fastest draw in Hollywood of his era.

I put the paint machine through some paces. Shockingly I ran through a good 30 round magazine with zero malfs but the hold open failed to engage. The hold open is covered with paint as well and while it moves freely with no pressure on it the added pressure of trying to engage with the magazine empty is applying a friction lock. Need more paint thinner.

After that I kept getting FTF with an ejection. An examination revealed paint chips all around the bolt that had come flying loose from the inside and were gumming up the works. Big chips too like 1/2" by 1/8". Hopefully none got in the gas tube.

Accuracy was not bad. Off hand at 10 yards pairs were touching. At 25 yards it spread to just under 2" which is about all I can get out of a middle quality RDS these days.
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:10 am

Stercutus wrote:I guess long gone are the days when Hollywood stars held shooting matches and quick draw competitions. Lewis was supposed to be the fastest draw in Hollywood of his era.

I put the paint machine through some paces. Shockingly I ran through a good 30 round magazine with zero malfs but the hold open failed to engage. The hold open is covered with paint as well and while it moves freely with no pressure on it the added pressure of trying to engage with the magazine empty is applying a friction lock. Need more paint thinner.

After that I kept getting FTF with an ejection. An examination revealed paint chips all around the bolt that had come flying loose from the inside and were gumming up the works. Big chips too like 1/2" by 1/8". Hopefully none got in the gas tube.

Accuracy was not bad. Off hand at 10 yards pairs were touching. At 25 yards it spread to just under 2" which is about all I can get out of a middle quality RDS these days.
I take it the paint is in a camo pattern? Rather that paint thinner you should have embraced the monkey motif and grabbed some paint in a contrasting color and outlined the camo pattern. Then you could proudly point out " NOT ANOTHER ONE LIKE IN MY ENTIRE SAFE " Just imagine the looks of awe you would receive while at the firing range , as you mag dumped every time. :clap:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:23 am

Some of the parts were originally earth colored. It has a mixture of olive and some other colors that I just call ugly. Looks like the monkeys were playing with a screen door as some parts have screen and other do not. The interior is mostly coyote. Camo absolutely. Like if it were laying on the ground somewhere people would think it was broken and not pick it up.
Shall be my brother

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:27 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Reading about Stercutus' Bushmaster with the 8 dollar drunk monkey paint job really has me wishing the "WTF rifle of the month" thread still existed. :lol:
Ask and ye shall receive.

viewtopic.php?f=109&t=62706&p=2703940#p2703940

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:52 pm

raptor wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Reading about Stercutus' Bushmaster with the 8 dollar drunk monkey paint job really has me wishing the "WTF rifle of the month" thread still existed. :lol:

Thanks, Raptor. :D

Also, I had no idea Jerry Lewis was a gun guy.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:32 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Also, I had no idea Jerry Lewis was a gun guy.
Yeah I saw that pop up on another site. He had a lot of shotties and snubbies. You should check out some of the other auction items. I wish I were rich so I could buy some of those old louis vuitton trunks for my girlfriend. She loves classic stuff.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:34 pm

raptor wrote:

Dang, some of those old timers post counts are ridiculous... 8k to 20k posts.... It's like there was a whole other forum here before I joined a couple years ago.

I wish the old pics would still work. Only like 3 pictures work in the first few pages. Shame all the pic sharing sites suck.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:38 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
I wish the old pics would still work.
Sorry only one wish granted per thread. :clownshoes:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:03 pm

I have been exorcising the demons of Satan that have been inhabiting the paint machine. The thing was actually possessed. It made me speak bad words. While I was working on the lower trying to get some crud out of it the upper jumped off the table and landed scope first on ground. I was standing a good five feet away and not touching the table so there is no Earthly reason for it to fall off the table. Later while I was cleaning it a coyote wandered by and gave me the dead eye, as if to say: "Go ahead make my day, like you even could, MF"

So it kind of went like:

1. Clean out paint
2. Shoot till it malfs
3. Repeat

I noticed at some point that the gas tube was way out of kilter where it locks with the bolt. So I took the hand guards off and that is when I noticed that the gas block was only attached with three screws and not tight enough to hold in place. :oh: that might explain a few things.

I went back inside and grabbed my Ruger LCP (which is one of the top 100 guns I own) to do a comparison of which was more reliable. The Ruger averaged 1 malf every 5 rounds. After the first magazine the Paint Machine averaged 1 every 2.5 rounds. So in the event of ZPAW I am picking the Ruger LCP over the AR, at least over that AR anyway.
Shall be my brother

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:08 pm

Stercutus wrote:[snip]which is one of the top 100 guns I own[snip]

HAHAHA we need a full review!!! Reminds me of high school graduation when a couple teachers were congratulating us and I told them that "out of all the teachers that I have had... you were one of them..."

On a side note, I love my LCP. Granted, they def solved a lot of issues in manufacturing the later in the product line. Mine's only a year old. I shot two that were from when they first came out and they jammed and had terrible triggers that made them unshootable.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”