Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Dabster

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Dabster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:13 pm

the_alias wrote:Camo'd up my rifle

What rifle? Where :lol:

Looks great!
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:22 pm

woodsghost wrote:Been quite lately.

I'm looking for advice on a CCW holster. Last time asked I got some good advice, such as "appendix carry has been shooting people's nuts off lately." Which kinda grabs a man's attention. Normally I don't worry about targets that small, but lately I've been rethinking that.

So with the usual "individual preferences..." And all that, what are your thoughts on holsters for a LC9?

Right now I'm kinda deeply affected by the video of the guy dancing and losing his pistol. I'm convinced now that open topped holsters cause white people to dance, and I want to avoid that, even if it means a slightly slower draw. I'm thinking I need a thumb break on the holster.

I'm also thinking an IWB holster would be better for CCW, and leather would be better for comfort. But I'm wondering if I need to think about an OWB holster, and just wearing a loose shirt or overshirt. With temps consistently around 94*F, I'm thinking less shirts are the ideal way to go. But I would guess OWB is faster to draw and more comfortable. The primary place to carry would be church, so I might start wearing a suit jacket with my outfit. My wife thinks I look dashing in it. That would make OWB with a thumb break pretty doable. But normal carry in other circumstance (in Summer) would probably be less discreet, and Omaha hates guns. The surrounding lands are pretty chill, but the actual city limits take a dim view.

So what do you all think? Any thoughts, advice, or bias is welcome. I'm all ears, and same as the last time I asked, please feel free to post any favorite brands or holsters that you use.

Thanks!
If you haven't bought anything yet -I'd recommend the IWB holsters made by http://gearcraftholsters.com/. The custom holsters are pretty but the quick ship holsters from them or Amazon are equally well built, comfortable and hold a pistol where it's needed. Years ago, I started out carrying a pistol with hybrid holsters but the hassle of putting them on combined with the troubles holstering and the heat made me look for something better. Then I found Gearcraft. My first holster was for a G26: on & off in seconds, easy to draw from, secure, comfortable and quite concealed under a t-shirt. Then I got one for a G19 -I liked it just as much! Then (Because HK is prettier) I got a custom IWB made for my HK45Ct -I like it just as much but it's camo and pretty but I had to wait a month.

They are IMHO great holsters. They are affordable. The company has great customer service. Oh... By the way: I have no affiliation with them. Just a satisfied customer.
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Dabster wrote:
woodsghost wrote:Been quite lately.

I'm looking for advice on a CCW holster. Last time asked I got some good advice, such as "appendix carry has been shooting people's nuts off lately." Which kinda grabs a man's attention. Normally I don't worry about targets that small, but lately I've been rethinking that.

So with the usual "individual preferences..." And all that, what are your thoughts on holsters for a LC9?

Right now I'm kinda deeply affected by the video of the guy dancing and losing his pistol. I'm convinced now that open topped holsters cause white people to dance, and I want to avoid that, even if it means a slightly slower draw. I'm thinking I need a thumb break on the holster.

I'm also thinking an IWB holster would be better for CCW, and leather would be better for comfort. But I'm wondering if I need to think about an OWB holster, and just wearing a loose shirt or overshirt. With temps consistently around 94*F, I'm thinking less shirts are the ideal way to go. But I would guess OWB is faster to draw and more comfortable. The primary place to carry would be church, so I might start wearing a suit jacket with my outfit. My wife thinks I look dashing in it. That would make OWB with a thumb break pretty doable. But normal carry in other circumstance (in Summer) would probably be less discreet, and Omaha hates guns. The surrounding lands are pretty chill, but the actual city limits take a dim view.

So what do you all think? Any thoughts, advice, or bias is welcome. I'm all ears, and same as the last time I asked, please feel free to post any favorite brands or holsters that you use.

Thanks!
If you haven't bought anything yet -I'd recommend the IWB holsters made by http://gearcraftholsters.com/. The custom holsters are pretty but the quick ship holsters from them or Amazon are equally well built, comfortable and hold a pistol where it's needed. Years ago, I started out carrying a pistol with hybrid holsters but the hassle of putting them on combined with the troubles holstering and the heat made me look for something better. Then I found Gearcraft. My first holster was for a G26: on & off in seconds, easy to draw from, secure, comfortable and quite concealed under a t-shirt. Then I got one for a G19 -I liked it just as much! Then (Because HK is prettier) I got a custom IWB made for my HK45Ct -I like it just as much but it's camo and pretty but I had to wait a month.

They are IMHO great holsters. They are affordable. The company has great customer service. Oh... By the way: I have no affiliation with them. Just a satisfied customer.
I have not bought. I'm waiting on my allowance to reset. My wife is ... good at helping me remember our budget, and the first of every month I tend to blow mine. :)

I will check them out! Thank you for the tip!

In other news, I used my budget to attack the ammo section at a local store and also got some great books. Gun Digest's AK book, published in 2016, is really good. Really worth the $8 I paid for it. As big an AK nut as I am, it has stuff I have never seen on the internet from a guy who grew up in the Eastern Bloc and runs private military training now.

I now have a supply of Rio low recoil buck and slugs. I'm really excited to try it out and pattern it. If it works well it will be my travel/50 state long gun ammo, but we will see.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 pm

If you are still looking for a good holster, I'd recommend a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. I carry my M&P Pro .40 in 1 every day for the past 7 years, only broke it once (my fault :twisted: ), but the lifetime warranty got it fixed quickly.

Crossbreed Holsters

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:40 am

KJ4VOV wrote:That was easy... and pretty inexpensive too. At this price, you can hardly go wrong trying one, Woods.
I own two of those. Bought one for a full size semi and loved the heck out of it. Comfortable , secure, easy draw concealed well in IWB mode ( for a full size auto) , fit gun well after short break in and ++ can be used IWB or OWB. Liked it so much I bought one for a snub revolver. .... :? complete opposite of everything I said about the first one. :x Almost one year later and I still can't even get it to fit the gun right. Much less comfort, retention ( strap keeps coming undone ) It is so hard to reholster it seemed dangerous. I was going to try wet molding it but I lost interest in it. So anyway Don't think it was a QC issue,. Just some guns don't work as well with it.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Anyone here ever use those Mission First Tactical AR mags ?

Are they any good or should I just stick to Pmags and USGI metal mags ?

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:08 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anyone here ever use those Mission First Tactical AR mags ?

I have a few MFT mags and have had no issue with them, but I haven't used them a ton either - I'd say any given MFT mag has seen 100-200 rounds. They were some of the first mags I bought when I got my AR since I found a handful of new ones on sale for less than Pmags at the time.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:22 am

00dlez wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Anyone here ever use those Mission First Tactical AR mags ?

I have a few MFT mags and have had no issue with them, but I haven't used them a ton either - I'd say any given MFT mag has seen 100-200 rounds. They were some of the first mags I bought when I got my AR since I found a handful of new ones on sale for less than Pmags at the time.
They seem to sell for about the same as Pmags at the local Academy store now. Which is weird. What's even weirder is Academy has the crappy Promag mags going for 25 bucks a pop.

I might pick up a couple of the MFT mags for range/training mags and keep my Pmags for more serious work.

Have you had any issues with the rounds popping out of your mags when stored ?

I saw a couple reviews on YouTube where some guys had that issue.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:25 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
They seem to sell for about the same as Pmags at the local Academy store now. Which is weird. What's even weirder is Academy has the crappy Promag mags going for 25 bucks a pop.

I might pick up a couple of the MFT mags for range/training mags and keep my Pmags for more serious work.

I only have 2 mags left loaded at any time, both PMags, so I'm not really able to comment there.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:42 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
00dlez wrote:

If they are the same price, why not just get the same mags for war and sport? That way you get some training and testing of the mags in sporting conditions and you kinda know what to expect in a fight.

Just some thoughts. I'm not familiar enough with the MFT mags.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:09 pm

That's a good point, Woodsghost.

I know how the Pmags work and I've got some experience with them, so it'd make sense for me to just stick with them. Especially since the MFT mags are about the same price as Pmags.

I do want to pick up some more USGI type mags, though. CDNN usually has deals on them and sometimes they'll have a "bag of mags" deal where you can get like 10 or so mags for less than 80 bucks.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:That's a good point, Woodsghost.

I know how the Pmags work and I've got some experience with them, so it'd make sense for me to just stick with them. Especially since the MFT mags are about the same price as Pmags.

I do want to pick up some more USGI type mags, though. CDNN usually has deals on them and sometimes they'll have a "bag of mags" deal where you can get like 10 or so mags for less than 80 bucks.
Of course if there are cool colors offered by one company and not the other, I feel having separate mags is justified ;) Aluminum mags make sense too.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:13 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
PSA also regularly throws in 10 Pmags as a package with something else - Got a Vortex Strikefire II and 10 Pmags for <$190 shipped.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:41 pm

00dlez wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
PSA also regularly throws in 10 Pmags as a package with something else - Got a Vortex Strikefire II and 10 Pmags for <$190 shipped.

I've heard of the PSA deals as well. I think it was Halfapint or maybe JeeperCreeper that mentioned them in a F/A Chat a long time ago.

Hopefully the next time they have one of those deals, I can jump on it and get one. I can always use an extra optic for my guns.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Not firearms related, but: does anyone know why the chat thread is locked? Should we start a new one?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:29 pm

woodsghost wrote:Not firearms related, but: does anyone know why the chat thread is locked? Should we start a new one?
The one I started went past the 50 page limit by about 54 pages, so that's probably why it got locked. I was going to ask one of the mods to lock it before it got that far, but I forgot.

MPMalloy already started a new one in Off Topic, by the way.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:28 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:Not firearms related, but: does anyone know why the chat thread is locked? Should we start a new one?
The one I started went past the 50 page limit by about 54 pages, so that's probably why it got locked. I was going to ask one of the mods to lock it before it got that far, but I forgot.

MPMalloy already started a new one in Off Topic, by the way.
Ah! Thanks chimp!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:01 am

The chat threads get unweildy for the users much past 50 pages the 50 page limit was not a system limit.
You can start a new one if you want.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:40 am

Anyone ever put a Stream Light TLR 1 on anything heavier - recoil wise - than a handgun? I wanted a light with a slimmer profile and intigrated pic rail connection for my Mossberg Shockwave 20g, so I pulled the one off my G17 to test the ergos and it seems like it might fit the bill after I try it in action, but before I put some rounds through it I was curious if anyone's managed to bust theirs from recoil...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm

I have put them on 12GA shotguns and they work just fine. Mind that these are real TLR flashlights and not cheap look alike knock-offs they sell on Amazon and Ali Baba. TLR makes a good light they give good PID at over 50 yards.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Stercutus wrote:I have put them on 12GA shotguns and they work just fine. Mind that these are real TLR flashlights and not cheap look alike knock-offs they sell on Amazon and Ali Baba. TLR makes a good light they give good PID at over 50 yards.
Awesome, thanks - these are the real deal, or at least that's what I paid for :wink:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:59 pm

00dlez wrote:
Stercutus wrote:I have put them on 12GA shotguns and they work just fine. Mind that these are real TLR flashlights and not cheap look alike knock-offs they sell on Amazon and Ali Baba. TLR makes a good light they give good PID at over 50 yards.
Awesome, thanks - these are the real deal, or at least that's what I paid for :wink:
The fake ones most often have no stenciling on them or or wrong size/ font. Normally they run a bit cheaper and often made out of plastic. Some cheap weapon lights work just fine. I have several. They are very much hit or miss and the names change so often it isn't worth trying to figure out which ones work and which ones don't.

I did have a fake TLR that someone gave me for free with a gun. The battery case would fly open under light (5.56) recoil. Not very useful.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:35 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
00dlez wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I've heard of the PSA deals as well. I think it was Halfapint or maybe JeeperCreeper that mentioned them in a F/A Chat a long time ago.

Hopefully the next time they have one of those deals, I can jump on it and get one. I can always use an extra optic for my guns.

I know I have purchased the 10 mags and the bag from PSA, not sure if I posted about it... maybe... but the PSA bag is high quality. Well worth it.

On a side note, our local Rural King has the MFT mags for $9.99. I know that's not a screaming deal, but if I buy one mag every time I'm there, it adds up to a nice range collection.

I'd like to think most polymer mags are all kinda the same for most purposes. For defensive or duty use, I would stick with P-mags just because they have been around. But I have had good luck with MFT, Hex, Amend2 for range and fun mags. Never had a mag issue with polymer mags.

One thing to note, the plastic is ever so slightly thinner on the MFT mags vs P-mags. They also flex a tad more and rattle a little when inserted in my AR. Not an issue, and this is me smacking it around. I would say if $10 is good for a P-mag, then the MFT mags are worth $9. Their follower is also not as beefy. But then again, I've had no issues with the one I've run (I have a bunch still in the bag for a rainy day, so I've only run 1 mag so far as I have a lot of range only mags.)
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:51 pm

So it turns out I am a total gun whore after all. I was in the LGS and saw a Bushy with some Magpul furniture, a Truglo RDS, short gas system, Blackhawk grip, some kind of damn muzzle brake, ASC Stock.... several howler monkeys had gotten a hold of a few cans of spray paint and painted it all over. Hell, they even painted the charging handle. $500 consignment... gotta ask will he take 400? Because you know I really need another rifle... Yeah he will take 400... goddamit....

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”