It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 66  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:33 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Try the trigger before you buy. They either love or hate from what I have read.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:36 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
Saw this in my email. Curious, what are your thoughts? $250.00 for a 40sw. It looks like this is kahr’s Really cheap line. They even advertise that they cut production corners. It’s also only a 7+1 but the price is nice for a decent enough caliber.

Link is long click here

I've been thinking about one of these in 9mm. I've been thinking I should expand beyond .38. Compared to a revolver trigger I don't expect I"ll have much issue.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:50 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

raptor wrote:
Try the trigger before you buy. They either love or hate from what I have read.

Yeah, I had a Kahr P40 many, many years ago. Trigger wasn't bad, nothin' to write home about, but not bad.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:02 pm 

A touch political. But in the era of cheap ARs and lots of American made stuff, it seems interesting that small makers could start making gun parts and the market could get more opaque. Basically, we trust brands to give us good stuff, but the recent issues with American made AKs and their metallurgy highlights, for me, some limits of home gun making technology. Having more makers could make it even more difficult to know who to trust when buying gun parts.

Still interesting. Especially in the context of some sort of PAW, there might be somebody with solar power and their home CNC machine kicking out guns.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

woodsghost wrote:
A touch political. But in the era of cheap ARs and lots of American made stuff, it seems interesting that small makers could start making gun parts and the market could get more opaque. Basically, we trust brands to give us good stuff, but the recent issues with American made AKs and their metallurgy highlights, for me, some limits of home gun making technology. Having more makers could make it even more difficult to know who to trust when buying gun parts.

Still interesting. Especially in the context of some sort of PAW, there might be somebody with solar power and their home CNC machine kicking out guns.

This is beyond SERIOUSLY F'ING COOL!!!

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:40 pm 

Think I posted in this thread a few pages back about a friend who got into guns for similar reasons. Got a 3D printer and now a CNC mechine.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I wanna make my own guns, like real bad! I need to pay down debt first. :(

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:58 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
Saw this in my email. Curious, what are your thoughts? $250.00 for a 40sw. It looks like this is kahr’s Really cheap line. They even advertise that they cut production corners. It’s also only a 7+1 but the price is nice for a decent enough caliber.

Link is long click here

I'm no fan of the 40 S&W cartridge (compared to the 10mm it's like buying a gun that only shoots .22 short instead of .22 LR), and like others have said, the trigger is what will really matter, but even a low quality Kahr should be better than some of the other crap out there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:48 pm 

KJ4VOV wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

Link is long click here

I'm no fan of the 40 S&W cartridge (compared to the 10mm it's like buying a gun that only shoots .22 short instead of .22 LR), and like others have said, the trigger is what will really matter, but even a low quality Kahr should be better than some of the other crap out there.

I was thinking of a 38spl only pistol vs one that can shoot 357 as well.... but yeah. I've never tried shooting 40sw out of my 10mm. I suppose you can, however it makes me nervous.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 am 

Halfapint wrote:

Can't speak directly to that particular model, but I had a K40 (steel frame) many years ago. It shot nice enough, trigger was smooth. Biggest drawback as far as I was concerned was that is was a cast iron b*tch to disassemble.

Disassebly is by the old(er) school method of punching the slide release out to the side, ala the 1911, CZ's hammer fired pistols, etc. But the slide is small, so not a lot of space to grip, and the spring is quite stiff. I usually ended up sticking a screwdriver down through the ejection port into the magwell, and using it as a lever to hold the slide back while I popped the slide lock lever out the side.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:46 pm 

Work is slow, and I'm bored. I've got a bunch of 308 brass that are shorter than I'd like for my 308 gun. So I've been looking at case conversions that I can do to convert these to something else. The 308 is the parent case for like 5 different cases. .243win, 358win, 7mm-08rem, and .338fed.

What would people recommend? I'm kind of leaning for the .338 if/when I get a .338 lapua I can use the same bullets. I would probably end up building a bolt gun for this and use it for hunting. I'm not looking for anything more than maybe 300yds honestly 200yds is probably the furthest I'd get a shot.

Not sure, as I said bored and just thinking. Maybe I'll just melt down all the brass for giggles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:11 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Halfapint wrote:
Work is slow, and I'm bored. I've got a bunch of 308 brass that are shorter than I'd like for my 308 gun. So I've been looking at case conversions that I can do to convert these to something else. The 308 is the parent case for like 5 different cases. .243win, 358win, 7mm-08rem, and .338fed.

What would people recommend? I'm kind of leaning for the .338 if/when I get a .338 lapua I can use the same bullets. I would probably end up building a bolt gun for this and use it for hunting. I'm not looking for anything more than maybe 300yds honestly 200yds is probably the furthest I'd get a shot.

Not sure, as I said bored and just thinking. Maybe I'll just melt down all the brass for giggles.

You could always take the short brass and make a paperweight with them by getting a soap mold and some clear resin. Arrange the short brass however you want in the soap mold and then pour melted resin into it. A couple hours later and you have a neat paperweight.

I'm actually considering doing this with some .45 ACP brass that's too old to safely reload (range floor pick ups).

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 pm 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

You could always take the short brass and make a paperweight with them by getting a soap mold and some clear resin. Arrange the short brass however you want in the soap mold and then pour melted resin into it. A couple hours later and you have a neat paperweight.

I'm actually considering doing this with some .45 ACP brass that's too old to safely reload (range floor pick ups).

Hmm, interesting idea. I have wanted to a resin mold of different calibers from 22 short to 50bmg I think that would be pretty cool looking. I was thinking a really nice wood (zebra wood) polishing it up real nice, then gluing the calibers to the board then filling it with resin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Halfapint wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

Hmm, interesting idea. I have wanted to a resin mold of different calibers from 22 short to 50bmg I think that would be pretty cool looking. I was thinking a really nice wood (zebra wood) polishing it up real nice, then gluing the calibers to the board then filling it with resin.

That might be pretty cool, Halfapint.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:45 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

1. That resin idea is awesome for my future mancave/office

2. Half, Go with .338 Fed. You can get an AR10 chambered in it. Or the Savage Hog Hunter. I really like the round, but am too broke to get one.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:49 pm 

I get to pick up my new 10/22 at the LGS tomorrow. I can't wait.

(I love picking up new guns.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:02 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Just bought another AR lower for freedom.

*grumbles about where he lives looking to pass legislation*

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:49 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

the_alias wrote:
Just bought another AR lower for freedom. *grumbles about where he lives looking to pass legislation*
80%? 100%?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:06 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

MPMalloy wrote:
the_alias wrote:
Just bought another AR lower for freedom. *grumbles about where he lives looking to pass legislation*
80%? 100%?

100% by Ghost Rifles - hopefully it's decent - made me laugh to see the Anderson lower I have on my current rifle selling for like $40 and I paid $100 because I bought it when Clinton was still seen as the likely winner.

Been thinking about getting an 80% for a fun later project. Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:14 am 

A little over a year ago I bought an 80% Glock lower. Got it for something like $80 I couldn’t pass it up. I then bought the barrel a LWI stainless threaded, then the lower parts kit and just the other day I bought the slide. Well in the year or so following, I realized I bought a G17 lower and barrel, but G19 lower parts kit and slide. It’s a stripped slide so only cost me like $120.

I’m going to call midway tomorrow and see if I can exchange the slides. Does anyone know if the G19 lower parts work in a G17?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:37 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Greetings all!

Does anyone know where to get Colt or FN style ambi selectors for SEMI-AUTO rifles? If my understanding is correct, putting one of the readily-available full-auto ones in a rifle without a tax stamp is a felony...

Thanks!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:59 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

...post deleted after re-reading...

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited by 91Eunozs on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:26 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I was asking for a Colt or FN style semi-auto ambidextrous selector to bev used in M4 and M16A4 clones, like I said. I know perfectly well that you can buy other brands everywhere, that’s why I specificiy asked about Colt or FN. They have a shorter lever on the right side than on the left.

I specifically said “semi-auto”, not select fire. It’s actually quite easy to buy select fire fire control group parts... it’d just be a very bad idea to own them and a lower reciever with that third hole drilled in it at the same time. I build ARs for fun and I know all about how to be build a full-auto one. When I eventually immigrate to the US, I may buy one, just for fun.

But right now, like I said, I’m looking for a semi-auto selector. I can buy factory Colt full-auto ambi selector’s from Brownells if I wanted them.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:29 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Akin wrote:
Greetings all!

Does anyone know where to get Colt or FN style ambi selectors for SEMI-AUTO rifles? If my understanding is correct, putting one of the readily-available full-auto ones in a rifle without a tax stamp is a felony...

Thanks!

A couple places I looked, like Midwest Gun Works and Arms Unlimited are showing it as "discontinued" or "out-of-stock".

I would call and double-check with Brownells to make sure this is the semi version, but I think you may be able to put one together from the individual parts...

- Left side semi selector

- Right side lever

- Socket screw

ETA: Hey Akin, are you still working the Cons? Always enjoyed your pictures and stories.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 66  Next