Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:08 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Finally... A 1911 mauser-esque carbine...

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... p-carbine/
The words to describe this escape me.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:23 pm

MPMalloy wrote:

"Goofy looking" seems to work for me.

And when did Iver Johnson start making guns again ? I thought they went out of business years ago.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

And when did Iver Johnson start making guns again ? I thought they went out of business years ago.
Stupid. That's what I wanted to say.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:49 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:And when did Iver Johnson start making guns again ? I thought they went out of business years ago.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:57 pm

I'm just picturing someone in shorts and a t-shirt emptying the "optional 28 round drum magazine" as fast as they can, then letting that 11" long uncovered barrel touch bare flesh.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:20 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

Just a name on imported 1911s. You may recognize their zombie and snake skin dipped 1911s... Pure class
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:39 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

Just a name on imported 1911s. You may recognize their zombie and snake skin dipped 1911s... Pure class
I actually haven't seen those, but now I'm interested in looking for them. Not that I want one, of course. I just want to see if those are as goofy looking as the carbine they're bringing to the market.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:54 pm

It’s no Ciener conversion to go with my pocket 9, but this may just be the ticket for popping those pesky feral dogs in Mogadishu... I mean out at the farm.

2A Arms .22 conversion available for preorder.

Channeling my inner Longey/Zantra aside, any thoughts from the hive mind? I’ve never owned or even used one of these kits... I assume this is a reliable setup, but again, no experience whatsoever.

I think it’d be kind of cool to throw the entire kit into a single pouch...a lot easier than carrying a second rifle when I just want to plink or pop gophers/snakes out at the ranch. I’m a big 2A arms fan too...they make good stuff and have always done right by me re: customer service and accomodating special requests/special orders.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:17 pm

91Eunozs wrote:It’s no Ciener conversion to go with my pocket 9, but this may just be the ticket for popping those pesky feral dogs in Mogadishu... I mean out at the farm.

2A Arms .22 conversion available for preorder.

Channeling my inner Longey/Zantra aside, any thoughts from the hive mind? I’ve never owned or even used one of these kits... I assume this is a reliable setup, but again, no experience whatsoever.

I think it’d be kind of cool to throw the entire kit into a single pouch...a lot easier than carrying a second rifle when I just want to plink or pop gophers/snakes out at the ranch. I’m a big 2A arms fan too...they make good stuff and have always done right by me re: customer service and accomodating special requests/special orders.
Seems like whichever brand you look at, there will be equal numbers who swear by them....and swear at them. I have a CMMG conversion kit with BHO device. Works as advertised....Although, right around 500 rounds, the tip of the firing pin broke. I replaced it with a Taccom enhanced FP, and it's been fine since.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:43 pm

[SHOT 2018] Shooting the Kel-Tec RDB Survival

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm

RickOShea wrote:[SHOT 2018] Shooting the Kel-Tec RDB Survival

Does it come with a refreshing bottle of piss to cool off after a hard day's worth of shooting??
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:40 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Does it come with a refreshing bottle of piss to cool off after a hard day's worth of shooting??
It doesn't even have an on-board storage compartment so users can keep a couple of piss bags handy.....a glaring omission by the designers.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:41 pm

RickOShea wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:Does it come with a refreshing bottle of piss to cool off after a hard day's worth of shooting??
It doesn't even have an on-board storage compartment so users can keep a couple of piss bags handy.....a glaring omission by the designers.
That issue will be dealt with when they release the Gen 2 models. :lol:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:00 pm

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 pm

My cynicism senses are tingling... He sold tracers?

Are tracers illegal? No. Are tracers armor piercing? Not normally. Is armor piercing ammo illegal? Not necessarily, you can't make it. Did he manufacture the ammo? I dunno.

Seems like they need someone to point a finger at because the shooter is dead.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:31 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:

Are tracers illegal? No. Are tracers armor piercing? Not normally. Is armor piercing ammo illegal? Not necessarily, you can't make it. Did he manufacture the ammo? I dunno.

Perhaps he was manufacturing and selling bullets without a license.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Bearcat wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

You need a license for boolits?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Bearcat wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:

You need a license for boolits?
Maybe if I could find an article that actually covered what he was being charged with and specifically why, we'd know.... But that'd be journalism, and journalism has been dead for some time now...

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 am

Here is that the article I read: https://nypost.com/2018/02/02/man-who-s ... r-charged/

The way I read it, it looks like he didn't have as much ammo on hand as dickbag wanted to buy so he put together enough tracers to fill the order.

additionally, the author(s) of the article don't know the difference between tracers and armor piercing. Yes, as far as I know you need a license to produce any kind of ammo for retail sale. Unfortunately for this guy there are few answers and the public appetite for slow cooked scape goat is quite strong right now.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:27 am

US Army’s New MHS Pistol Suffering Teething Troubles

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018 ... -troubles/

A new report from the Director of Operational Test and Evaluation (DOT&E) has revealed that the US Army’s new pistol, the XM17/XM18 Modular Handgun System has suffered from a number of failures during testing....

....The much publicised issue with pistols discharging when dropped saw SIG Sauer work with the Army to introduce “lightweight components in the trigger group mechanism.” However, the report suggests that this fix may of led to another issue. Testing found that triggers in two of the pistols tested suffered from ‘splintering’. PEO Soldier has since told Soldier Systems Daily that this was an isolated problem and that the pistols continued to work but that the trigger pull was adversely impacted....

Another issue identified was what the DOT&E referred to as ‘double ejections’. The report states:
"Both the XM17 and XM18 pistols experienced double-ejections where an unspent ball round was ejected along with a spent round. Due to the increased frequency of occurrence during Product Verification Test (PVT), the Army stood up a root cause analysis team to identify the cause of the double ejections in parallel with continued PVT. As of this report, this analysis is still ongoing."

....The report also notes that the XM17 and XM18 demonstrated “significantly more stoppages” with XM1152 ball ammunition than the new XM1153 Jacketed Hollow Point special purpose ammunition. So much so that the Army continued its PVT testing with just XM1153 JHP, while a root cause analysis team is examining the reason for issues with the XM1152 ball round....

....While many will no doubt cry ‘should have gone with Glock’ it’s important to remember that the US Military’s previous pistol, the Beretta M9, also suffered serious teething troubles when it was first adopted. Early M9’s suffered from a number of catastrophic slide failures, caused by metal fatigue, which led to injured personnel. The issues with the Modular Handgun System will no doubt be addressed in time and it is unlikely that the issues identified in the DOT&E report will slow the pistol’s roll out as it has already been issued to a number of active units.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:32 am

I was in a discussion about the new Army SIG on another forum and it seems the reporting on the report is highly exaggerated.

I haven't read the report so I can't really comment other than that I think it's the FDE paint's fault...

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:58 am

Ok. We have a thread which got on the topic of animal defense in a bug out and maybe a PAW. We also have a thread on the Boring Flamethrower.

I got to thinking, I bet the best bear/lion/wolf defense is a flamethrower. I don't know that it would do so well against alligators and similar critters. Any thoughts?

And while I'm mostly joking, I am a bit serious. :)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:14 pm

woodsghost wrote:Ok. We have a thread which got on the topic of animal defense in a bug out and maybe a PAW. We also have a thread on the Boring Flamethrower.

I got to thinking, I bet the best bear/lion/wolf defense is a flamethrower. I don't know that it would do so well against alligators and similar critters. Any thoughts?

And while I'm mostly joking, I am a bit serious. :)
Sounds heavy, and like a really good way to set your AO on fire. Not sure how much "burned to death in a forest/grass fire" is from "mauled to death by a large predator".

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:16 pm

In my mind animal defense and hunting are 2 very different matters. A successful hunt involved a single shot and kill. A defense situation involves driving off the animal. In some cases you may have kill the animal to be successful. However, you may simply be able convince the critter to go elsewhere. That and you may need a magazine full of hits and that is by no means a successful hunting kill it is a successful defense outcome.

Where am I going with this? Simple. IMO most magazine fed centerfire rifles are at least in my opinion are adequate for a defense situation involving all but the largest mammals. They may not be ideal or adequate for hunting but can be useful self defense.

YMMV
Last edited by raptor on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”