Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:59 am

brothaman wrote:Don't know if this was mentioned,.. but Ruger's American Rifle now comes chambered for a certain Russian cartridge. Might be my new truck gun.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle ... 16976.html
Neat. I've been looking at the Ruger American rifles and I might pick one of these up when I get some free cash.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:40 am

yossarian wrote:
raptor wrote: MS abolished CCW and went with constitutional carry so no permit is needed at all for CCW.
So no training or permit is required. The only weird thing is that "holsterless waistband carry" is proscribed. Pocket carry is ok as is waistband carry with a holster though?!
Interesting. I would guess that the logic is to prohibit "gangsta" carry. The irony is that I've met several retired LEO's that simply tuck a j-frame or 1911 or both into their waistband. These guys were retired before most of today's gangstas were born.

I wonder if a loop of shoelace would legally qualify as a holster.
It is not exactly clear in that a holster per se is not defined. It is like a lot of laws. The ideas come from people who do not understand the subject, translated from common vernacular into legalese. What could possible get lost in the process. :clownshoes:

Since My LA CCW is honored in MS I just do what I have done for the last 20 years. Keep the CCW out of sight and concealed.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:36 pm

RickOShea wrote:Or one of those minimalist, trigger guard "holsters"?

Sexy

anyone hear anything or have shot a kel-tec PLR-16?
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:44 pm

brothaman wrote:Don't know if this was mentioned,.. but Ruger's American Rifle now comes chambered for a certain Russian cartridge. Might be my new truck gun.

I see there on the website that it takes Mini-30 mags.

Okay...since Magpul is now making AK P-mags, I am wondering how well this gun would sell if it could take AK mags???

If you reloaded AND lived in a state that allowed suppressors, you could make subsonic ammo.

I worked with a guy over in Missouri once who had a CZ 527 chambered in 7.62X39. He brought some targets into work. At 100 yards, I'd say it was a 2 inch to 3 inch group kinda gun with steel cased ammo.

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:45 pm

chills1994 wrote:

I see there on the website that it takes Mini-30 mags.

Okay...since Magpul is now making AK P-mags, I am wondering how well this gun would sell if it could take AK mags???

If you reloaded AND lived in a state that allowed suppressors, you could make subsonic ammo.

I worked with a guy over in Missouri once who had a CZ 527 chambered in 7.62X39. He brought some targets into work. At 100 yards, I'd say it was a 2 inch to 3 inch group kinda gun with steel cased ammo.

If it took AK mags, I'd definitely be a buyer. Kind of like if the Mini-14 used standard AR mags and dropped the price down by about 200 bucks, I'd buy one.

I wonder if one could mod it to use AK mags.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:07 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I wonder if one could mod it to use AK mags.
How many Mini-30s have you seen converted to use AKM/AK47 mags? Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:41 pm

chills1994 wrote:If you reloaded AND lived in a state that allowed suppressors, you could make subsonic ammo.

Or, get the .300 BO version....which looks to have a faster 1/7 twist rate, which should be more accurate with the longer/heavier subsonic boolitz....

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle ... /6968.html

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:41 pm

RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I wonder if one could mod it to use AK mags.
How many Mini-30s have you seen converted to use AKM/AK47 mags? Image
Exactly zero. :oops:

Screw it. If I get one of these rifles, I'll just stock Mini-30 mags (assuming I can find them for a decent price)and not worry about AK mags for anything other than my AKs.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:19 am

RickOShea wrote:
chills1994 wrote:If you reloaded AND lived in a state that allowed suppressors, you could make subsonic ammo.

Or, get the .300 BO version....which looks to have a faster 1/7 twist rate, which should be more accurate with the longer/heavier subsonic boolitz....

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle ... /6968.html
It says "capacity: 5 " for the .300 Blackout version...

Does it not take AR (STANAG) magazines?

Because I think you can get 10 round AR mags.

Guns are icky!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:28 am

I am very very ..... excited.... yes, that is how I will say it. I am "excited."

20 rnd mags for $25-$40, so I"m on board. Not that I"m buying it today, or in the next few years, but I"m very on board!!!

Add these....

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:03 pm

So some fool on Reddit was bitching and moaning that we Americans don't use the metric system. I told him that was complete bullshit because in the average American's gun rack you're gonna find at least a couple of 5.56s, maybe a 7.62 or two, at least two 9mm pistols, maybe a 10 mm. a 7 mm bolt action and most of us are waiting for our 6.5 mm Creedmoor.

We Americans love the metric system!
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:17 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:So some fool on Reddit was bitching and moaning that we Americans don't use the metric system. I told him that was complete bullshit because in the average American's gun rack you're gonna find at least a couple of 5.56s, maybe a 7.62 or two, at least two 9mm pistols, maybe a 10 mm. a 7 mm bolt action and most of us are waiting for our 6.5 mm Creedmoor.

We Americans love the metric system!
:clap: :clap: I wish I could quite that entire line! hahahahahahahaha amazing!! :clap: :clap:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:55 pm

I was just in Wal-Mart and they had Remington 700 ADL with a scope for $349. They were also advertising the $50 Remington factory rebate. So $299 for a Remington 700 in your choice of several calibers.

I get the fact the scope was likely a throw away but what am I missing here? Does Remington make an extra cheapo Wal-Mart model?

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm not a 700 fan, and really do not follow them. But haven't they had some major issues recently with QC? Could these be factory referbs (never sold just fixed QC issues) to flood the market to improve the Remington name?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Buds has several ADLs with 3-9x scopes listed for around $400....think I'd still get a Howa. :crazy:

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Shot my first USPSA rifle match. I came last as expected :rofl:

But at least it looks like I've at least been to a gym?

Also, my shooting was actually ok, I was just slow and steady, picked up procedural and certainly was behind the curve with 15rd mags vs people running 30/40 rd ones.

Fun day.
Man is a beast of prey

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:17 pm

I am not buying one. I have an older 700 in .30-06 and do not need another one. I was just surprised at the low cost and the factory rebate getting the price to a sub$300.

I like my 700 but I never really use it anymore. I also agree there are better platforms available at similar price points...or were at similar price points. This one is priced closer to a Mosin.
Last edited by raptor on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:22 pm

raptor wrote:I am not buying one. I have an older 700 in .30-06 and do not need another one. I was just surprised at the low cost and thed factory rebate getti getting the price to a sub$300.

I like my 700 but I never really use it anymore. I also agree there are better platforms available at similar price points...or were at similar price points.
Could Remington just be trying to my back market share by taking a loss?

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:31 pm

People are getting ready for hunting season here and you need ammo for the firearm. I have not seen rebates on ammo.
Maybe they hope to make it up in ammo sales. You still have to sight the sight in the scope.

That said a factory rebate screams too much inventory and/or an improperly priced item.

I have read that firearm sales have dropped ....a lot in 2017.

This is likely a symptom. Throw in recent QC issues and I guess you get this.

Maybe it is me but a 7mm magnum for $299 seems awfully cheap, even if you throw away the scope.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:34 pm

raptor wrote:People are getting ready for hunting season here and you need ammo for the firearm. I have not seen rebates on ammo.
Maybe they hope to make it up in ammo sales. You still have to sight the sight in the scope.

That said a factory rebate screams too much inventory and/or an improperly priced item.

I have read that firearm sales have dropped ....a lot in 2017.

This is likely a symptom. Throw in recent QC issues and I guess you get this.

Maybe it is me but a 7mm magnum for $299 seems awfully cheap, even if you throw away the scope.
That's what I was thinking, the QC issues that Remington was having.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:46 pm

If it was clearance that walmart could simply have a surplus.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 am

raptor wrote:I have read that firearm sales have dropped ....a lot in 2017.
NICS checks are down a bit from 2016, but appear to be above 2015, 2014...

https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/nic ... r.pdf/view

I think there are still a decent amount of folks taking advantage of the various manufacturers rebates, and lower prices in general. But I don't know how long that will last....Not to mention all manner of craziness causing concern to some, that could also be a factor.

NICS Background Checks Continue High for June, 2017

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/0 ... june-2017/

NICS checks for June, 2017 clocked in at 1,901,768. That’s the second highest number of NICS checks for any June on record, just below 2016’s 2,131,485 checks. The third highest June was in 2015 ( at 1,529,057 checks)......As always, note that there isn’t a one-to-one relationship between NICS checks and firearms sales. The FBI’s background check system is also used for silencer sales, background checks on teachers and other government employees, concealed carry license checks, firearms transfers, and more. The average NICS-to-new gun sales ratio is a little less than .6 checks per firearm. By that calculation, over 7.5 million firearms were added to the private stock in the first half of 2017.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Problem: Broke college student need rifle light, prefer 18650 and sub $150.

Solution: Armytek? PFlexPro? Stremlight HL-X or 2L-X? Already stock 18650's.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Dogan wrote:Problem: Broke college student need rifle light, prefer 18650 and sub $150.

Solution: Armytek? PFlexPro? Streamlight HL-X or 2L-X? Already stock 18650's.
I'm not familiar with the lights you mention, but I have a Streamlight TLR-6 on my Glock 26 & it has never let me down.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”