It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:33 pm 

I thought this was kind of important and did not want it to get lost in the thread Houston Thread.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/abc-news-repor ... 03173.html

‘F— Off, Snitch': ABC Reporter Blasted for Telling Cops About Hurricane ‘Looting’

Quote:
ABC News chief national correspondent Tom Llamas suffered a massive Twitter backlash on Tuesday after he notified Houston police about “looting” during the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.

“We informed police of the looting and Coast Guard is flying overhead. Multiple officers now on the scene,” Llamas said in a tweet he sent and later deleted.

Many on social media accused Llamas of snitching on people in need, arguing that there is a difference between “looting” and grabbing food and supplies to survive a devastating emergency.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/08/29 ... ting-tweet

If the police have bigger worries (dead bodies in the street) they won't have the time to do anything to protect you and yours.

If a disaster is big enough people will "need" all kinds of stuff. They won't care who it belongs to and as time goes by will care less and less about what they have to do to get it.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:31 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Quote:
The hurricane has shown repeatedly that sometimes reporters’ basic human instincts can trump their notions of journalistic objectivity.

Hmmm.
So if see a reporter getting mugged, having a medical emergency or drowning what I should do as citizen journalist is to video this event and then interview him/her about the matter and write a story about it.
I should not offer him/her aid.

I shall keep that in mind if the situation arises.

As for people looting grocery stores I understand very well the argument that much of the fresh food will spoil anyway. That said it still does not give the person the right to take the food.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
, arguing that there is a difference between “looting” and grabbing food and supplies to survive a devastating emergency.

[/quote]

This is a messy situation.

One one hand what if you were the store owner and part of your preps was to use food in the store as part of your stock in an emergency, now they have taken food and supplies from your family.

Or another hypothetical situation, someone needed gasoline to survive a devastating emergency, what if they needed the gasoline from your vehicle to survive a devastating emergency.

What if people bugging out needed the crops from your garden to survive a devastating emergency.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have procured the food, just throwing out scenarios.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:58 pm 

Quote:

As for people looting grocery stores I understand very well the argument that much of the fresh food will spoil anyway

I am sure they headed straight to the produce section and cleaned out all the lettuce first thing.

:roll:

It would have better I think for the store to simply give all their fresh food away if feasible. And who knows? They may have already done that before the looters showed up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:03 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Stercutus wrote:
Quote:

As for people looting grocery stores I understand very well the argument that much of the fresh food will spoil anyway

I am sure they headed straight to the produce section and cleaned out all the lettuce first thing.

:roll:

It would have better I think for the store to simply give all their fresh food away if feasible. And who knows? They may have already done that before the looters showed up.

I am not sure about grocery stores in Houston but most in the NOLA have huge generators to run the freezers and refrigerators. They do this because their insurers require very large deductibles on inventory losses. It is cheaper to buy and install generators than pay the deductible.

As a result there should not be much food spoilage. Looting and pillaging yes, lots of it.
Spoilage not so much.
Especially in the liquor, beer and cigarette section. After all those spoil first. :roll:

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:11 pm 

It is a flood for cripes sake. If you get smokes wet they are worthless and who wants watered down booze?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:42 pm 

Another thing to keep in mind is the insurance. It's possible they have coverage for food spoilage and possibly nada for "civil unrest".

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:44 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I think the operative point here is that while one person's "looting" is another person's "scavenging for survival", the fact remains that if someone gets desperate enough, they're going to try to take your preps whether or not they think you need them.

I don't know that it necessarily follows that gun ownership is the solution. But Stercutus does make a good point that in a major disaster, you can't rely law enforcement the same way you might in normal times. What he's describing (and what we're starting to see in isolated cases in Texas) is something approaching the classic without rule of law (WROL) scenario.

The time could come when it's going to be up to you to dissuade someone from appropriating your property. I do admit having a firearm is a very effective way to do that.

I'm also brought to mind one of public emergency planners' general rules of thumb: three meals. The average person is willing to tolerate missing three consecutive meals before they start to think about what they have to do to ensure they don't miss a fourth.