Modern MP40 semi auto

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Post Reply
User avatar
The Twizzler
* * * *
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:47 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Location: Nashville, TN

Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Saw this at a semi local gun shop yesterday. They were asking 650.00 for it. It's a semi auto, modern made MP-40 firing 9mm with 32 round magazines (probably 32 rounds :vmad: I only held it for a minute). There are a few changes; it has a 16 in barrel not a 9.9 inch, it doesn't have a folding stock, it fires from a closed bolt. Other than that it's the same gun but not costing 20 grand. It's heavy and I can't really see it as practical but it's so cool 8-). Thoughts?
Image
Image
Image
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 8662
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by RickOShea » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:04 pm

The Twizzler wrote:Saw this at a semi local gun shop yesterday. They were asking 650.00 for it. It's a semi auto, modern made MP-40 firing 9mm with 32 round magazines (probably 32 rounds :vmad: I only held it for a minute). There are a few changes; it has a 16 in barrel not a 9.9 inch, it doesn't have a folding stock, it fires from a closed bolt. Other than that it's the same gun but not costing 20 grand. It's heavy and I can't really see it as practical but it's so cool 8-). Thoughts?

This one has a 10.8" barrel...and has no stock because it is a pistol...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/GERMAN+SPORT+MP40P+PISTOL

https://www.americantactical.us/5721/detail.html

Image

"The GSG-MP40P is a new manufactured pistol and is only a replica in appearance to the original MP-40. This pistol is not compatible with original WWII MP-40 parts or magazines."
Last edited by RickOShea on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2219
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by flybynight » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Saw those awhile back at Atlantic firearms
GSG MP40 PISTOL
          Overall Length 24.5"
·         Height 7"
·         Frame Construction - Zamak 5 with Polymer Accents
·         Weapon Weight W /Magazine (Unloaded) 126 oz
·         Caliber 9x19mm
·         Barrel length 10"
·         Detachable 25 round magazine - All Metal 

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compone ... l?Itemid=0

Looks like you could SBR it pretty easy by the look of that hole in the back of the frame
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6458
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:49 pm

flybynight wrote:Saw those awhile back at Atlantic firearms
GSG MP40 PISTOL
          Overall Length 24.5"
·         Height 7"
·         Frame Construction - Zamak 5 with Polymer Accents
·         Weapon Weight W /Magazine (Unloaded) 126 oz
·         Caliber 9x19mm
·         Barrel length 10"
·         Detachable 25 round magazine - All Metal 

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compone ... l?Itemid=0

Looks like you could SBR it pretty easy by the look of that hole in the back of the frame
That's what I was just thinking.

Since the AK underfolder stocks are based off the MP40 design, it probably wouldn't be too hard to fit one of those onto the gun after getting it SBR'ed.

Also, what the heck is "Zamak 5" ?

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2219
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by flybynight » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:04 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
flybynight wrote:Saw those awhile back at Atlantic firearms
GSG MP40 PISTOL
          Overall Length 24.5"
·         Height 7"
·         Frame Construction - Zamak 5 with Polymer Accents
·         Weapon Weight W /Magazine (Unloaded) 126 oz
·         Caliber 9x19mm
·         Barrel length 10"
·         Detachable 25 round magazine - All Metal 

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compone ... l?Itemid=0

Looks like you could SBR it pretty easy by the look of that hole in the back of the frame
That's what I was just thinking.

Since the AK underfolder stocks are based off the MP40 design, it probably wouldn't be too hard to fit one of those onto the gun after getting it SBR'ed.

Also, what the heck is "Zamak 5" ?
holy crapola :shock:

Zamak (formerly trademarked as ZAMAK[1] and also known as Zamac) is a family of alloys with a base metal of zinc and alloying elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper.
Zamak alloys are part of the zinc aluminium alloy family; they are distinguished from the other ZA alloys because of their constant 5% aluminium composition.[2]
The name zamak is an acronym of the German names for the metals of which the alloys are composed: Zink (zinc), Aluminium, Magnesium and Kupfer (copper).[2] The New Jersey Zinc Company developed zamak alloys in 1929. Zinc alloys are popularly referred to as pot metal or white metal. While zamak is held to higher industrial standards, it is still considered a pot metal
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6458
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:18 pm

flybynight wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
flybynight wrote:Saw those awhile back at Atlantic firearms
GSG MP40 PISTOL
          Overall Length 24.5"
·         Height 7"
·         Frame Construction - Zamak 5 with Polymer Accents
·         Weapon Weight W /Magazine (Unloaded) 126 oz
·         Caliber 9x19mm
·         Barrel length 10"
·         Detachable 25 round magazine - All Metal 

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compone ... l?Itemid=0

Looks like you could SBR it pretty easy by the look of that hole in the back of the frame
That's what I was just thinking.

Since the AK underfolder stocks are based off the MP40 design, it probably wouldn't be too hard to fit one of those onto the gun after getting it SBR'ed.

Also, what the heck is "Zamak 5" ?
holy crapola :shock:

Zamak (formerly trademarked as ZAMAK[1] and also known as Zamac) is a family of alloys with a base metal of zinc and alloying elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper.
Zamak alloys are part of the zinc aluminium alloy family; they are distinguished from the other ZA alloys because of their constant 5% aluminium composition.[2]
The name zamak is an acronym of the German names for the metals of which the alloys are composed: Zink (zinc), Aluminium, Magnesium and Kupfer (copper).[2] The New Jersey Zinc Company developed zamak alloys in 1929. Zinc alloys are popularly referred to as pot metal or white metal. While zamak is held to higher industrial standards, it is still considered a pot metal
Well, crap. :shock:

I wonder why they didn't just make it out of steel stampings like the originals. I'm guessing it had to do with cost.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2219
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by flybynight » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:21 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
flybynight wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
flybynight wrote:Saw those awhile back at Atlantic firearms
GSG MP40 PISTOL
          Overall Length 24.5"
·         Height 7"
·         Frame Construction - Zamak 5 with Polymer Accents
·         Weapon Weight W /Magazine (Unloaded) 126 oz
·         Caliber 9x19mm
·         Barrel length 10"
·         Detachable 25 round magazine - All Metal 

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/compone ... l?Itemid=0

Looks like you could SBR it pretty easy by the look of that hole in the back of the frame
That's what I was just thinking.

Since the AK underfolder stocks are based off the MP40 design, it probably wouldn't be too hard to fit one of those onto the gun after getting it SBR'ed.

Also, what the heck is "Zamak 5" ?
holy crapola :shock:

Zamak (formerly trademarked as ZAMAK[1] and also known as Zamac) is a family of alloys with a base metal of zinc and alloying elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper.
Zamak alloys are part of the zinc aluminium alloy family; they are distinguished from the other ZA alloys because of their constant 5% aluminium composition.[2]
The name zamak is an acronym of the German names for the metals of which the alloys are composed: Zink (zinc), Aluminium, Magnesium and Kupfer (copper).[2] The New Jersey Zinc Company developed zamak alloys in 1929. Zinc alloys are popularly referred to as pot metal or white metal. While zamak is held to higher industrial standards, it is still considered a pot metal
Well, crap. :shock:

I wonder why they didn't just make it out of steel stampings like the originals. I'm guessing it had to do with cost.
Yea, think I would pass on this one.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12270
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:38 pm

I'd go with a HiPoint Carbine. Cheaper, warranted, more reliable, accurate etc.... and yet just as useless.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 8662
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by RickOShea » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:09 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I wonder why they didn't just make it out of steel stampings like the originals. I'm guessing it had to do with cost.
Well, it's GSG....I believe the majority of their pistols are zinc alloy/pot metal.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6458
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 pm

RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I wonder why they didn't just make it out of steel stampings like the originals. I'm guessing it had to do with cost.
Well, it's GSG....I believe the majority of their pistols are zinc alloy/pot metal.
That's probably true.

Isn't the 1911 style .22lr pistol they make made from an aluminum alloy or is that one zinc/pot metal as well ?

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 8662
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by RickOShea » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:56 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I wonder why they didn't just make it out of steel stampings like the originals. I'm guessing it had to do with cost.
Well, it's GSG....I believe the majority of their pistols are zinc alloy/pot metal.
That's probably true.

Isn't the 1911 style .22lr pistol they make made from an aluminum alloy or is that one zinc/pot metal as well ?
https://www.americantactical.us/76/detail.html
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
yossarian
* * * * *
Posts: 2042
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by yossarian » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:42 am

Stercutus wrote:I'd go with a HiPoint Carbine. Cheaper, warranted, more reliable, accurate etc.... and yet just as useless.

And also made from the same material as Matchbox cars :mrgreen: .
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

User avatar
gunsandrockets
* * *
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:31 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead
Location: Southern California

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by gunsandrockets » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:23 am

If I was going to buy a cool looking but expensive range toy, better to buy the GSG STG-44 .22 rimfire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o52nNKpL50

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/si ... 2__640.jpg
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12270
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:57 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I wonder why they didn't just make it out of steel stampings like the originals. I'm guessing it had to do with cost.
Well, it's GSG....I believe the majority of their pistols are zinc alloy/pot metal.
That's probably true.

Isn't the 1911 style .22lr pistol they make made from an aluminum alloy or is that one zinc/pot metal as well ?
Yes.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12270
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by Stercutus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:59 am

yossarian wrote:
Stercutus wrote:I'd go with a HiPoint Carbine. Cheaper, warranted, more reliable, accurate etc.... and yet just as useless.

And also made from the same material as Matchbox cars :mrgreen: .

So it hurts like hell when you step on it in bare feet?
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 pm
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:52 pm

It's fun for a range toy, but if it has a 16" barrel, why not have the folding stock on it?

Personally, I like something I can at least mount a red dot onto. WW2 was a long time ago, technology has progressed.

User avatar
yossarian
* * * * *
Posts: 2042
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by yossarian » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Stercutus wrote:
yossarian wrote:
Stercutus wrote:I'd go with a HiPoint Carbine. Cheaper, warranted, more reliable, accurate etc.... and yet just as useless.

And also made from the same material as Matchbox cars :mrgreen: .

So it hurts like hell when you step on it in bare feet?
Only thing more dangerous is a Lego gun.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2219
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by flybynight » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:40 pm

yossarian wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
yossarian wrote:
Stercutus wrote:I'd go with a HiPoint Carbine. Cheaper, warranted, more reliable, accurate etc.... and yet just as useless.

And also made from the same material as Matchbox cars :mrgreen: .

So it hurts like hell when you step on it in bare feet?
Only thing more dangerous is a Lego gun.
O yea? They don't call them Hot Wheels for nothing
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Trebor
* * * * *
Posts: 4443
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:14 am

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by Trebor » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:40 am

The guys who say "Get a High Point" or whatever don't understand the appeal of this gun. It's a plinker designed to look like a MP 40 for those of us who can't afford the real deal SMG. And yes, the manufacturer plans to release a folding stock for those who do the ATF paperwork for a SBR.

I was really interested in this until I got to fire one at the SHOT Show range day and it fired out of battery on me. No real damage but it really stung the heck out of my hand. After that my enthusiasm dropped quite a bit.

Still, i may try to get one to review and see if it works better when it hasn't been fired by who knows how many people during a long range day.
Image
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2219
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by flybynight » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:59 am

Made out of pot metal. Shoots out of battery. What's not to love on this.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12270
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by Stercutus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:38 pm

The guys who say "Get a High Point" or whatever don't understand the appeal of this gun. It's a plinker designed to look like a MP 40 for those of us who can't afford the real deal SMG. And yes, the manufacturer plans to release a folding stock for those who do the ATF paperwork for a SBR.
I have a number of plinkers that are knockoff's. I get them in .22lr so they are enjoyable to shoot, don't recoil, cheap to shoot and won't go boom on me and the wrong moment... maybe taking out an eye. They also cost about half what that thing does.

So if you like, change what I said to "get a GSG". It will be safer, cheaper, last longer, more accurate and be about as useful. It even comes in a wood crate and with a folding wire stock. If you want to actually suppress it that will be cheaper and easier too.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Trebor
* * * * *
Posts: 4443
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:14 am

Re: Modern MP40 semi auto

Post by Trebor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Stercutus wrote:
The guys who say "Get a High Point" or whatever don't understand the appeal of this gun. It's a plinker designed to look like a MP 40 for those of us who can't afford the real deal SMG. And yes, the manufacturer plans to release a folding stock for those who do the ATF paperwork for a SBR.
I have a number of plinkers that are knockoff's. I get them in .22lr so they are enjoyable to shoot, don't recoil, cheap to shoot and won't go boom on me and the wrong moment... maybe taking out an eye. They also cost about half what that thing does.

So if you like, change what I said to "get a GSG". It will be safer, cheaper, last longer, more accurate and be about as useful. It even comes in a wood crate and with a folding wire stock. If you want to actually suppress it that will be cheaper and easier too.
Oh yeah, get a GSG is a legit option. No argument there.

If I hadn't had that out of battery discharge I'd still be hyped up to get one. It looks right, it feels right, and it could be fun, especially if SBR'd. As is, unless I get a demo one to test, I won't be picking one up
Image
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

Post Reply

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”