It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cashe Gun Thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:16 am 

flybynight wrote:
Yea you know, just talking about where you hid your stuff don't count. Detailed maps of where you hid it and list of whats in it or it didn't happen . :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

Then it didn't happen.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:09 pm 

I have a couple jungle pak blankets compressed down to save space. and some thick mylar tarps, water, food, 2 flashlights, 2 headlamps (both with batteries taken out), no clothes been debating about that but think I'll have clothes. other thigns as well. I figure I can throw the POS in there just in case. But keep an eye out at the LGS and pawnshops for some cheap more reliable gun(s) so I can stash them.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Post subject: Re: Cache Gun Thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:34 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

To properly prepare anything to cache outdoors is a detailed PITA.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:41 pm 

My understanding of the lost rifle was he had set his rifle against a tree while hunting with his father. Dad fired a shot and called for help having some kind of trouble with a downed buck. My friend heard “bang”...”help!” and ran to his dad. Should he have grabbed his rifle? Sure, but he didn't. When he sorted things sorted out with dad and went back he could not find it. Fast forward a year, leaves, light and such different he runs across the same rifle.
I wasn't there I'm just sharing the story I was told when I bought a ½ case of enfields and he was extolling their virtue as he bought one.

I really hadn't heard of junk cars begin stolen, that's disturbing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:18 pm 

2now wrote:

I wish people stole junk cars around here. There are more than a few people in this area that have yards FILLED with cars. I've thought of using an old car without the tires or up on blocks as a cover for a stash. Cars get prowled here all the time, I would not feel comfortable leaving things, even secured, in a car.

I did get the LCP380 as a stash gun, but I like the way it shoots. I'm having a hard time thinking about letting this one go.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:23 pm 

I may be the minority here...but why not a Hi Point?
They are cheap. They work. If you get it with society still intact and have problems, their CS is good.

Ugly and heavy, sure but they work.

Id also suggest a heritage. Cheap revolver and they work. Both above the SNS's quality.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:53 pm 

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
I may be the minority here...but why not a Hi Point?
They are cheap. They work. If you get it with society still intact and have problems, their CS is good.

Ugly and heavy, sure but they work.

Id also suggest a heritage. Cheap revolver and they work. Both above the SNS's quality.

I've thought about one, but the issue is, no one I've found (even pawnshops) sell them. I've gone to all the gun stores I know of in my area and never found one. Buying online and then shipping seems stupid because they are so cheap paying the FFL fee they charge would defeat the purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:16 pm 

brothaman wrote:
I actually have two cached guns. I got a old crusty but working H&R shotty and a grungy Rossi single in 308. I tested for function, then covered in synthetic wheel bearing grease, wrapped in aluminum foil, the saran warp, then vacuum packed with an industrial food saver. Stuffed each one in a 6 inch PVC pipe with sealed up ammo, a crushable backpack and socks and underwear.

I don't expect it to work out. I really just wanted to see what it would look like in 10 years time. I have a web calendar meeting set for 2023 to check on one of them.

Now that i'm describing it,.. it feels really stupid. The grease was likely a bad idea with some of the plastic parts.

Outside the possible plastic parts issue, I think it's a reasonable method.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:46 am 

Slightly off topic, but on the subject of caches, I was hiking in the Superstiton Mountains in AZ a few years back and came upon a cooler kid sticking out of the ground at the crest of a hill, far away from any hiking trail/road. Curiosity got the best of me (in my mind it was either going to be drugs or a head) and found a rolled up sleeping bag, lantern, etc... it looks like it had probably been uncovered by rain, but the inside wasn't sealed and it was absolutely swarming with spiders.

I let it be and fought back the urge to set the whole hillside on fire. But anyway, point being when it was buried the guy probably thought it would be sealed well against the elements, but everything inside was ruined.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 am 

2now wrote:
My understanding of the lost rifle was he had set his rifle against a tree while hunting with his father. Dad fired a shot and called for help having some kind of trouble with a downed buck. My friend heard “bang”...”help!” and ran to his dad. Should he have grabbed his rifle? Sure, but he didn't. When he sorted things sorted out with dad and went back he could not find it. Fast forward a year, leaves, light and such different he runs across the same rifle.
I wasn't there I'm just sharing the story I was told when I bought a ½ case of enfields and he was extolling their virtue as he bought one.

Out here they don't steal the whole car (I wish they did too, I've got one neighbor with 17 cars, trucks and old tractors in his front yard). They steal the metal off of them that is valuable and cart it off to the recycle center.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:22 pm 

On the stolen junk car issue,.. when steel and metal prices where high, broken down cars were getting stolen from the side of the interstate highways. People were reporting that they'd run out of gas and come back to find the car gone. Cars were getting stolen from junkyards and backyards, too.
We have a steel mill locally. At some point there was a LEO there during the daylight hours seeing what came in to be recycled.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:52 pm 

http://www.itstactical.com/intellicom/tradecraft/cache-is-king-learn-how-to-plan-and-create-your-own-survival-cache/

Stumbled upon this last night, thought some might find some useful info in there.