It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:41 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Have been on the waiting list for these sweet ultralightweight sights for over a year, but they disappeared from the Leitner-Wise website sometime in the last couple of months.

As I was moving my Bobro set over to the new 3-gun rifle in anticipation of switching over to a red dot, I dug deeper to try to find two sets of the eSights anywhere so I could finally finish the "James" build. Found this interesting bit along the way: http://carbonitefinish.com/courtroom_regular.html

So, yeah... Not gonna be holding my breath. Too bad, looked like a cool product.

Anyone have any ideas for lightweight BUIS other than my current favorite Bobro setup?

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:13 pm 

They look like they would snap like twigs in field use.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:08 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Stercutus wrote:
They look like they would snap like twigs in field use.

Concur... That said, the intended use for these was on a PDW with a red dot. They'd almost never be deployed and if they were then things have gone seriously sideways anyway...I was looking for a true last ditch backup with minimal weight.

When out hunting I have a scoped rifle with low profile iron backups or an AR with a FSB.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:21 pm 

I know a lot of people hate them, but magpul MBUS, their polymer back up sights, might work for you. They are light weight, and can take a surprising amount of abuse. And you could probably carve a bit more of the meat off of them with a file and sandpaper to get the weight down even more if it is that critical for you. The one proviso is that you don't mount the front sight directly on the gasblock. I have never seen it happen, and I have had one mounted on a gasblock for years, but supposedly you can get the block hot enough to melt the sight. If you put it on a rail, it is fine.

-Mb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I have been happy with Larue's BUIS: http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-buis-qd-lt-103

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:43 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

gun toting monkeyboy wrote:
I know a lot of people hate them, but magpul MBUS, their polymer back up sights, might work for you. They are light weight, and can take a surprising amount of abuse. And you could probably carve a bit more of the meat off of them with a file and sandpaper to get the weight down even more if it is that critical for you. The one proviso is that you don't mount the front sight directly on the gasblock. I have never seen it happen, and I have had one mounted on a gasblock for years, but supposedly you can get the block hot enough to melt the sight. If you put it on a rail, it is fine.

-Mb

Yup, like MBUS just fine; have them on pretty much every one of my "work" rifles out at the ranch. No issues whatsoever and they hold up really well to regular use, with no real loss of zero that I can discern even after hundreds or thousands of rounds depending on the rifle.

What I was looking for in those esights was exactly why they're called that....emergency backups with almost no weight penalty. Absolutely wouldn't consider them for day-to-day primary or even occasional backup use.

The Bobro set is pretty good and pretty light too...I'm liking them more as I get more time behind them on the latest build.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote: