Lightweight, low-recoil pest control shotgun

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

quazi

Lightweight, low-recoil pest control shotgun

Post by quazi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Something I'd be interested in getting is an inexpensive, single-shot .410 handgun. Preferably full-choke and relatively light weight. By "inexpensive" I'm thinking under $300.

Does anyone make such a thing?

I'll probably end up getting a full-sized single-shot .410 or 28 gauge, but I thought I'd ask first.

I'm looking to get a pest control shotgun that anyone in my family can use for dispatching small animals. Some of my relatives have wrist and shoulder problems, so something that is both light enough for them to easily aim but doesn't beat them up would be good. The handgun thing is mostly for convenience of storage, and because I think it would be neat, but a full-sized shotgun will probably be a lot cheaper and easier to find.

Right now I use a full-choke single-shot 12 gauge and it works great, but it isn't the gun for an old lady with rotator cuff problems.

I was thinking maybe the Rossi Matched Pair that comes with a .410 and .22 barrel, and removable chokes for the .410, but they might not make it anymore so fining it might be tricky.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Lightweight, low-recoil pest control shotgun

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Taurus Judge or Taurus Judge Magnum with mild .410 loads would be the obvious choice.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:52 pm

I would like to try one of them, but don't they have absolutely godawful patterning? Also they seem to be over my budget, but maybe a used one could be found for significantly cheaper.

Maybe all .410 handguns will have really bad patterning due to the requirement for rifling? I think some of them use "straight" rifling that are grooves that don't twist and are there for the sole purpose of claiming that it's a .45 Colt handgun.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:07 pm

quazi wrote:I would like to try one of them, but don't they have absolutely godawful patterning? Also they seem to be over my budget, but maybe a used one could be found for significantly cheaper.

Maybe all .410 handguns will have really bad patterning due to the requirement for rifling? I think some of them use "straight" rifling that are grooves that don't twist and are there for the sole purpose of claiming that it's a .45 Colt handgun.
The impression I got from what you asked was that said critters were going to be at very close range. Under 20-30' the pattern should be fine, depending on the load of course.

Then your next best choice is probably going to be a "youth" shotgun in .410 that you put a pistol grip on or cut down the stock on (keeping it l;ong enough to stay legal though)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:11 pm

That's not a bad idea, and probably would be a lot cheaper than an actual .410 handgun.

Most shots are going to be within 25 yards, but 10-15 yards is probably the most common range.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Can you get low recoil loads for your 12 gauge? 3/4 oz of shot is still 3/4 oz of shot, whether from a 12 or 410. Maybe even a short double barrel as the extra weight will make the recoil less. Or a cheap .22lr rifle- they can be very light and will easily deal with most critters if you upgrade with a cheap 4*32 scope.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:33 pm

Low recoil loads are a good idea. I'll have to see if I can find some the next time I'm in town and then have my grandmother and mother try them out.

We used to always use a .22 rifle, but there are more and more people moving into the area and I don't feel comfortable firing a .22 up into the air anymore.

One funny thing is my mother and grandmother grew up only shooting iron sights and they just can't seem to get the hang of using a scope.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:09 pm

How about one of those "snake charmer" type singles? The ones with the thumbhole style buttstock...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... _id/27927/
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Comanche Firearms imported by Eagle imports used to sell single shot .410/.45LC break action handguns. Looked like an old SA cowboy gun. Dunno if you can still find them.

https://comanche.eagleimportsinc.com/co ... r-comanche
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:33 pm

RickOShea wrote:How about one of those "snake charmer" type singles? The ones with the thumbhole style buttstock...

That looks like it would work pretty well, except there's one problem I forgot to mention: half my family is wrong-handed. :lol:
JeeperCreeper wrote:Comanche Firearms imported by Eagle imports used to sell single shot .410/.45LC break action handguns. Looked like an old SA cowboy gun. Dunno if you can still find them.

https://comanche.eagleimportsinc.com/co ... r-comanche
That looks pretty neat if they can still be found.

I think I'm going to try the reduced recoil loads first, as that is the cheapest option.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:46 pm

quazi wrote:
RickOShea wrote:How about one of those "snake charmer" type singles? The ones with the thumbhole style buttstock...

That looks like it would work pretty well, except there's one problem I forgot to mention: half my family is wrong-handed. :lol:
Sounds like you have your solution. If you decide it does not work, look for a regular stock for that snake charmer.

http://www.midwayusa.com/h-and-r/br?cid=11436

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/ ... d4207.aspx

Both of the above have regular shotgun stocks for the .410 and you don't have to worry about those "blessed" folks in your family. I had one on my 20 ga Snake Charmer. Loved it. I also had to install spacers because the stock screw for that thumb hole was longer than the regular stock screw. That was fine. Some heavy rubber tube and some washers, and it was good to go.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Black Beard

Post by Black Beard » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:29 am

Another idea if your main target is squirrels and birds would be an air rifle. The diablo pellet shape is very accurate but not aerodynamic, so they run out of energy in 100-200 yards. No good for big stuff or defense and really good ones are expensive. Plenty of the cheaper ones are child sized/weight and good for 30 yards.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:20 am

quazi wrote:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:38 am

RickOShea wrote:
quazi wrote:

What difference does it make that one is left handed with this firearm?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Whoops, I didn't notice that the bevel behind the pistol grip was on both sides, on most thumbhole stocks I've seen it's only on one side.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:54 pm

This is not what you asked for, but I tried and abandoned .410 and .38 snake shot. I have found a Ruger 10/22 to be both effective and cost efficient. It is quieter than the others and the snakes could not tell the difference.

The .410 is useless for anything else and the .38 snake shot out of a 4 inch rifled barrel produced large groups unless I am too close. The .410 caused damage to be chicken coop. The
38 shot shell did not. The .22 caused less damage than the .410.

BTW I used these on water moccasins only so YMMV.

The drill is to put one to the head and one to the heart. Then wait for it to stop writhing and use a shovel to dispose of the carcass. They are bayou degradable.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:09 pm

I'll show you a gun:

https://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns ... slayer-iv/

That fits the bill but it will run $500-600. There may be cheaper one out there.

You are better off with a light 12GA shot shotgun for snakes. Or a .22 SA pistol. And a shovel as Raptor pointed out. When I lived in East Texas rattlers were too common for my taste in my yard. I used the derringer and the shovel technique to good effect. Ear plugs. You will need them with the bigger gun.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:34 pm

raptor wrote:This is not what you asked for, but I tried and abandoned .410 and .38 snake shot. I have found a Ruger 10/22 to be both effective and cost efficient. It is quieter than the others and the snakes could not tell the difference.

The .410 is useless for anything else and the .38 snake shot out of a 4 inch rifled barrel produced large groups unless I am too close. The .410 caused damage to be chicken coop. The
38 shot shell did not. The .22 caused less damage than the .410.

BTW I used these on water moccasins only so YMMV.

The drill is to put one to the head and one to the heart. Then wait for it to stop writhing and use a shovel to dispose of the carcass. They are bayou degradable.
I have to like this post if for nothing else than the pun at the end. :lol:

I've considered buying some snake shot for my Ruger 22/45 or my GP100, but I think the local PD would be mad at me if I fired either one in my yard since I live inside city limits.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:38 pm

No snakes in Alaska (maybe a few once you get far enough down the panhandle to basically be in Washington, but none where I live).

I generally find myself firing up into the air at 10-15 yards. The squirrels and birds that are problems tend to run off when they see me coming, but often not very far. Certain birds seem to know what's going on though so they don't pause for more than a brief moment before flying off again, so I've found a shotgun to be pretty handy.

I have several air rifles, and while that's not a bad idea I think the break-action one is too stiff for my mother and grandmother while co2 one is too fiddly to get ready. I have a multi-pump that might okay but I'm thinking the low-recoil 12 ga. shells are what I'm going to try first.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Well two out of three, it's lightweight and a shotgun

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Stercutus wrote:I'll show you a gun:

https://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns ... slayer-iv/

I have something similar in the ole safe....and it's about as enjoyable to shoot as one would expect.Image

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:48 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: I've considered buying some snake shot for my Ruger 22/45
The snake shot in .38 spl are not effective. Do not bother with .22 snakeshot unless you are shooting insects.

I use standard velocity .22LR solids.

I also have a lever action that shoots.22 short and CCI .22CB. The .22CB out of a rifle is very quiet. They are also effective against snakes. I have used this lever gun with .22 shorts and .22 cb for pest control in areas where noise is undersirable.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:19 pm

raptor wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: I've considered buying some snake shot for my Ruger 22/45
The snake shot in .38 spl are not effective. Do not bother with .22 snakeshot unless you are shooting insects.

I use standard velocity .22LR solids.

I also have a lever action that shoots.22 short and CCI .22CB. The .22CB out of a rifle is very quiet. They are also effective against snakes. I have used this lever gun with .22 shorts and .22 cb for pest control in areas where noise is undersirable.
I don't think my 22/45 would cycle the .22lr snakeshot anyway. I used to work at Walmart in the sporting goods section and I'd spend time reading the ammo boxes. The CCI snakeshot boxes always had a warning about using it in semi autos.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about snakes too much out here since it's very rare for any to be in town. We do get coyotes every now and then, but I've got ammo to take them out if need be.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:39 pm

The .22 short, CB and snake shot will not cycle most semi autos. You can feed then one at a time but doing that with a 10/22 is difficult. The lever action is tube fed and feeds the shorts and CB reliably.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”