NRA Gun Clubs

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Post Reply
User avatar
my pies are piff
* * *
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Left 4 Head
Location: Oviedo, FL
Contact:

NRA Gun Clubs

Post by my pies are piff » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Hey guys. It's been a while since I had any meaningful posts on this board, but I'm starting to really get back into shooting. Recently I've realized I'm at a point financially where I can shoot more so I've been adding to my collection and buying more ammo and hitting the public ranges more.

At this point it would be worth it to join a gun club in town since I'm going to the range so much. I would prefer to join a club with an outdoor range so i can do some distance shooting. I actually found one about 3 miles from my house with an 100 yard range, trap range, plinking range, and their expanding to add more. My wife would also get a free membership with mine so it's win-win. I was all set to join in July when the next proration of membership dues starts and I was starting to look at over/under shotguns to get into trap shooting.

I don't want to get too political since this board isn't for that, but it seems like all gun clubs in my area are 100% NRA. I was in the NRA years ago but I let my membership lapse. Due to recent events, I'm not sure how the NRA protects my family's interests (I'm in a mixed race, asian/black family). What are your guys' thoughts on NRA membership? I know they're the most influential gun lobbying group.

Should I just suck it up and get a membership for me and a cheap associate membership for my wife to join the gun club, or should I just stick to public ranges? Mods, I'm sorry if this topic is too political for the board. It's just been on my mind all week.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12079
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: NRA Gun Clubs

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Due to recent events, I'm not sure how the NRA protects my family's interests (I'm in a mixed race, asian/black family).

Not sure what you are asking. Last I checked the NRA did not care at all about the interests of black/ Asians groups.


Their concerns are:

The NRA Foundation, Inc. (“NRA Foundation”) is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that raises tax-deductible contributions in support of a wide range of firearm-related public interest activities of the National Rifle Association of America and other organizations that defend and foster the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans. These activities are designed to promote firearms and hunting safety, to enhance marksmanship skills of those participating in the shooting sports, and to educate the general public about firearms in their historic, technological and artistic context. Funds granted by The NRA Foundation benefit a variety of constituencies throughout the United States including children, youth, women, individuals with physical disabilities, gun collectors, law enforcement officers, hunters and competitive shooters.

Note "all" and "Americans". So if you are not an American citizen they don't care about you. If you are criminal then they don't want to help you. If you have an interest other than the above then they don't care about that either, it isn't what they do.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
Zembecowicz
* *
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:20 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)
Location: Mt. Hood, OR

Re: NRA Gun Clubs

Post by Zembecowicz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:07 pm

I myself am an ambivalent NRA member. I won't go into why here in order to not violate the no politics rule.
There are no rifle ranges where I live that aren't affiliated with the NRA, so I just consider my membership to be a (very cheap) cost of doing business.
Aside from political reasons there is also a very solid economic reason why most gun clubs are NRA affiliated. They sell gun club insurance at very low rates. A large number of private gun clubs probably wouldn't be able to afford to keep their doors open without this insurance.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16086
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: NRA Gun Clubs

Post by raptor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:02 pm

There are two segments of the NRA.

The NRA is non-political.
https://explore.nra.org/

As noted above:
Stercutus wrote: Their concerns are:

The NRA Foundation, Inc. (“NRA Foundation”) is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that raises tax-deductible contributions in support of a wide range of firearm-related public interest activities of the National Rifle Association of America and other organizations that defend and foster the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans. These activities are designed to promote firearms and hunting safety, to enhance marksmanship skills of those participating in the shooting sports, and to educate the general public about firearms in their historic, technological and artistic context. Funds granted by The NRA Foundation benefit a variety of constituencies throughout the United States including children, youth, women, individuals with physical disabilities, gun collectors, law enforcement officers, hunters and competitive shooters.


The ILA on the other hand is actually a separate organization dedicated to dealing with the increasingly nasty political attacks against the 2nd amendment through political means. It is dedicated to the politics of the 2nd amendment.


The ZS rule is that we do not allow discussion of ILA activity on the forum, but since the NRA is a 501 (c )3 and thus prohibited by law from engaging in political activity discussion NRA activities are permissible.

Why is this relevant?

Because joining the NRA does not mean you have to support the ILA in their efforts to ensure 2nd amendment rights. You can join the NRA and enjoy the benefits of membership without donating to the ILA political fund.

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: NRA Gun Clubs

Post by SCBrian » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:03 pm

my pies are piff wrote: Due to recent events, I'm not sure how the NRA protects my family's interests (I'm in a mixed race, asian/black family).
Can you elaborate on this? PM if necessary?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.
Image

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16086
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: NRA Gun Clubs

Post by raptor » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 am

SCBrian wrote:
my pies are piff wrote: Due to recent events, I'm not sure how the NRA protects my family's interests (I'm in a mixed race, asian/black family).
Can you elaborate on this? PM if necessary?
Please take that response to PMs.

User avatar
my pies are piff
* * *
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:48 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Left 4 Head
Location: Oviedo, FL
Contact:

Re: NRA Gun Clubs

Post by my pies are piff » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:32 pm

raptor wrote:There are two segments of the NRA.

The NRA is non-political.
https://explore.nra.org/

As noted above:
Stercutus wrote: Their concerns are:

The NRA Foundation, Inc. (“NRA Foundation”) is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that raises tax-deductible contributions in support of a wide range of firearm-related public interest activities of the National Rifle Association of America and other organizations that defend and foster the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans. These activities are designed to promote firearms and hunting safety, to enhance marksmanship skills of those participating in the shooting sports, and to educate the general public about firearms in their historic, technological and artistic context. Funds granted by The NRA Foundation benefit a variety of constituencies throughout the United States including children, youth, women, individuals with physical disabilities, gun collectors, law enforcement officers, hunters and competitive shooters.


The ILA on the other hand is actually a separate organization dedicated to dealing with the increasingly nasty political attacks against the 2nd amendment through political means. It is dedicated to the politics of the 2nd amendment.


The ZS rule is that we do not allow discussion of ILA activity on the forum, but since the NRA is a 501 (c )3 and thus prohibited by law from engaging in political activity discussion NRA activities are permissible.

Why is this relevant?

Because joining the NRA does not mean you have to support the ILA in their efforts to ensure 2nd amendment rights. You can join the NRA and enjoy the benefits of membership without donating to the ILA political fund.

Thanks for the info. I talked to a few guys at the club and they let me know its basically for insurance. Most people dont really love their insurance companies. I got a few days to mull it over but some of the replies have been helpful.

Trebor
* * * * *
Posts: 4443
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:14 am

Re: NRA Gun Clubs

Post by Trebor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:27 am

The NRA offers clubs benefits if they are "100% NRA member clubs." These benefits include assistance planning new ranges and evaluating existing ranges to conform with best industry practices, the ability to apply for grants for various range improvements and events, and, I believe, insurance for the range as a whole.

So, strictly staying non political, the real benefits to the clubs make it advantageous for any particular club to become a 100% NRA member club. It's actually more common than not, in my experience.
Image
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

Post Reply

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”