It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1523 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:52 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 7850
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 146 times
KJ4VOV wrote:
Am I crazy for thinking about putting $600 optics on a $250 rifle?

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-day-night-rifle-scope-3-14x :crazy: :ooh:


Nope.

That's a neat optic and if I had the money, I'd put one on my 10/22 for prairie dog hunting.

_________________
Writer of "October Rising"
"Looking Forward, Looking Back"
"Looking Homeward"

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:57 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 15900
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Has thanked: 975 times
Been thanked: 514 times
Halfapint wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Am I crazy for thinking about putting $600 optics on a $250 rifle?

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-day-night-rifle-scope-3-14x :crazy: :ooh:


That would be amazing for when I'm out coyote hunting.


I was looking at this the other day for feral pigs. Does this scope require an IR emitter to work at night? I see the B&W image has the fox's eye illuminated? Is this just ad copy?

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum


Forum Rules Link


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:00 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Posts: 8009
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 117 times
raptor wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Am I crazy for thinking about putting $600 optics on a $250 rifle?

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-day-night-rifle-scope-3-14x :crazy: :ooh:


That would be amazing for when I'm out coyote hunting.


I was looking at this the other day for feral pigs. Does this scope require an IR emitter to work at night? I see the B&W image has the coyote's eye illuminated?

I'm thinking that it probably does require one. If it had one built-in the power consumption would be a lot more and they'd be talking that up as another selling point.

_________________
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:25 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Posts: 1004
Location: SC
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 42 times
Well,.. got a new (to me) truck. Time for another cheap-o truck gun!! Gotta be under $200 with optics or sights. Gotta be able to get off the shelf ammo. Likely going to be a CVA single in 308 unless I just get a steal somewhere on something used.

_________________
It stops being funny when it starts being you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:24 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Posts: 8481
Location: Gulf Coast, AL
Has thanked: 146 times
Been thanked: 320 times
RickOShea wrote:
IPSC Handgun World Shoot XVIII about to kick off in Chateauroux, France.

https://www.facebook.com/JulieGolob/videos/10155689127991983/

Napoleon stand-ups? Gotta be France.

https://www.facebook.com/JulieGolob/videos/10155695195201983/

_________________
whisk.e.rebellion wrote:
It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.



Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:10 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 15900
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Has thanked: 975 times
Been thanked: 514 times
KJ4VOV wrote:
raptor wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Am I crazy for thinking about putting $600 optics on a $250 rifle?

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-day-night-rifle-scope-3-14x :crazy: :ooh:


That would be amazing for when I'm out coyote hunting.


I was looking at this the other day for feral pigs. Does this scope require an IR emitter to work at night? I see the B&W image has the coyote's eye illuminated?

I'm thinking that it probably does require one. If it had one built-in the power consumption would be a lot more and they'd be talking that up as another selling point.



I found this at the site which I think answers the question.


Image


Image


I think the answer is YES. It needs the IR emitter and a big honking battery to run both.

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum


Forum Rules Link


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:14 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Central Cascadia
Has thanked: 168 times
Been thanked: 301 times
raptor wrote:
I found this at the site which I think answers the question.


Image


I think the answer is YES. It needs the IR emitter and a big honking battery to run both.


I meant to look into this but only had one day off this week. Holy shit balls I'm out if that's the case. I could see some needing an illuminator, but having an illuminator AND that monstrosity attached to my rifle. That would be less than ideal going through the terrain I go through. The blackberries alone would rip the plug out of the scope.

_________________
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:
Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:01 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am
Posts: 3908
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Has thanked: 671 times
Been thanked: 188 times
I'm with Halfapint. It's too much for me.

_________________
Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:23 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 15900
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Has thanked: 975 times
Been thanked: 514 times
Halfapint wrote:
I meant to look into this but only had one day off this week. Holy shit balls I'm out if that's the case. I could see some needing an illuminator, but having an illuminator AND that monstrosity attached to my rifle. That would be less than ideal going through the terrain I go through. The blackberries alone would rip the plug out of the scope.


I am sure you can uses a smaller ones but you still need an IR emitter. That is the trouble with the cheaper systems you need an external IR light source and the unit is only as good as the light source.

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum


Forum Rules Link


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:00 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Posts: 8009
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 117 times
Halfapint wrote:
raptor wrote:
I found this at the site which I think answers the question.


Image


I think the answer is YES. It needs the IR emitter and a big honking battery to run both.


I meant to look into this but only had one day off this week. Holy shit balls I'm out if that's the case. I could see some needing an illuminator, but having an illuminator AND that monstrosity attached to my rifle. That would be less than ideal going through the terrain I go through. The blackberries alone would rip the plug out of the scope.

If you read the text/specs you'll see the battery pack is for extra long (20+ hour) run times on the scope, and that normally is runs on AA lithiums for about 8 hours. I'd say that it does night vision using available light (1st gen) and if you happen to have an IR illuminator and use it that it can see the IR. Most such separate illuminators are self-powered or 12v plug in.

_________________
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:57 pm 
Offline
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Posts: 15900
Location: Greater New Orleans Area
Has thanked: 975 times
Been thanked: 514 times
This chat has gone over 60 pages so time for it to get locked. Anyone want to start Firearms chat thread # 5? If so go for it.

_________________
Duco Ergo Sum

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum


Forum Rules Link


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1523 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group