Firearms Chat 4: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

brothaman

Re: Firearms Chat 4: #pewpewlife

Post by brothaman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:32 am

Its smaller to carry. I can pack 200 ct 22WMR in a tight spot. Its loud, but not as loud as 223. Very little recoil. Got a little more stank on it than 22LR. but not so much that it explodes small game. 22 mag rat shot is good pest control. All that,.. and 223 isn't great in a hand gun. A 4-6 inch revolver in 22 mag makes a nice trail and camp gun. The PMR puts 30 22 mag in the palm of your hand. And 22 mag wasn't always so expensive.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:23 am

I suppose that for a first gun it's not bad. Especially if they aren't real familiar with guns. Don't get me wrong I wasn't really trying to knock the round or the ballistics for it. Just the cost they said they paid about 500 for the guns (unsure of what they bought). I was just trying to explain to them they could have gotten a cheaper gun, and a round that's generally better all around, and from what I've seen cheaper.

But hey, I cant wait to shoot one.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:43 am

Halfapint wrote:I suppose that for a first gun it's not bad. Especially if they aren't real familiar with guns. Don't get me wrong I wasn't really trying to knock the round or the ballistics for it. Just the cost they said they paid about 500 for the guns (unsure of what they bought). I was just trying to explain to them they could have gotten a cheaper gun, and a round that's generally better all around, and from what I've seen cheaper.

My Savage 93 cost well under $300, with a Bushnell 3-9x scope, out the door. As for shooting the round, it's a steroid enhanced .22 LR. I don't know how old you are, but you might be old enough to remember all the overblown hype and hullaballoo that was going around when CCI first came out with the Mini-Mag line of high velocity .22LR. Of course, the round didn't really stand up to the hype (one ad I remember compared the energy of a single round with the energy of a VW Bug engine), but it was still a great round, and an improvement over the old standard velocity .22LR of the time. If they'd actually made it to live up to the hype though they'd have been making the .22 WMR. It's a nice plinking and small game round. There's hardly any more recoil than the .22 LR. Just a little bit louder (think a really good firecracker) and pretty explosive results downrange. I took shots at a row of water bottles I setup 25 yards downrange and they just vaporized. Found chunks of the bottles afterward but the hit just made a cloud of water vapor/droplets. Fun times. :clap:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:59 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
Halfapint wrote:I suppose that for a first gun it's not bad. Especially if they aren't real familiar with guns. Don't get me wrong I wasn't really trying to knock the round or the ballistics for it. Just the cost they said they paid about 500 for the guns (unsure of what they bought). I was just trying to explain to them they could have gotten a cheaper gun, and a round that's generally better all around, and from what I've seen cheaper.

My Savage 93 cost well under $300, with a Bushnell 3-9x scope, out the door. As for shooting the round, it's a steroid enhanced .22 LR. I don't know how old you are, but you might be old enough to remember all the overblown hype and hullaballoo that was going around when CCI first came out with the Mini-Mag line of high velocity .22LR. Of course, the round didn't really stand up to the hype (one ad I remember compared the energy of a single round with the energy of a VW Bug engine), but it was still a great round, and an improvement over the old standard velocity .22LR of the time. If they'd actually made it to live up to the hype though they'd have been making the .22 WMR. It's a nice plinking and small game round. There's hardly any more recoil than the .22 LR. Just a little bit louder (think a really good firecracker) and pretty explosive results downrange. I took shots at a row of water bottles I setup 25 yards downrange and they just vaporized. Found chunks of the bottles afterward but the hit just made a cloud of water vapor/droplets. Fun times. :clap:
The fun times is one reason why I keep my Mosin around. I've considered selling it or trading it for something else, but every time I think about selling it, I recall the fun times I had turning rotten watermelons into mist with it and I put it back in the rack.

I want a .22 magnum rifle at some point and I wish Ruger would bring back the .22 magnum version of the 10/22.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:43 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: I want a .22 magnum rifle at some point and I wish Ruger would bring back the .22 magnum version of the 10/22.
CZ and Excel both make pretty decent .22 WMR semi-autos, as does Magnum Research

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/categor ... scend&cx=0

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:46 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: I want a .22 magnum rifle at some point and I wish Ruger would bring back the .22 magnum version of the 10/22.
CZ and Excel both make pretty decent .22 WMR semi-autos, as does Magnum Research

Neat. Thanks for the link, KJ4. :)

It'll be awhile before I actually buy one, but it's nice to have options to look at. I was thinking a Savage in .22 magnum, but the CZ guns are making me rethink my idea.

I also want one of those CZ bolt rifles in 7.62x39 too. :clap:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:50 pm

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... _id/48972/
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:57 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

Neat. Thanks for the link, KJ4. :)

It'll be awhile before I actually buy one, but it's nice to have options to look at. I was thinking a Savage in .22 magnum, but the CZ guns are making me rethink my idea.

I also want one of those CZ bolt rifles in 7.62x39 too. :clap:
The Savage .22 magnum semi-autos look good. My buddy wants one in .17 HMR and will probably pick it up today at Gander Mountain (if they have any left). I went for the model 93 bolt action to keep the cost under $300, since I had $500 to work with and wanted accessories with it (sling, case, tripod shooting stick, cleaning kit, Picatinny rail, light, ammo, etc.)

Makes for a nice varmint gun. Here's my buddy that wants the semi-auto, trying it out at his farm, looking for groundhogs to pop.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:06 pm

I've been wanting to go prairie dog hunting for the longest time and while my .22LR rifles may be sufficient, I figure a .22 magnum might be more reliable for putting them down.

I know some guys who use .300 Win Mag and .50 BMG rifles for that, but that's a bit overkill on an animal that's maybe the size of a sack of flour. Granted, it's interesting to see the damage a .50 BMG can do to a prairie dog, but that's a waste of expensive ammo to me when a .22LR or .22 magnum can kill one just as dead (ok, it won't turn a prairie dog into pink mist like a .50 cal, but still).

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:44 pm

I really wish the 17 M2 would have been successful. A guy at my gun range let me borrow a contender barrel back when it was the new hotness. Stupid accurate. No recoil. Great for small game.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:46 pm

FYI: the local WalMarts are overflowing with .22 ammo of all brands. A number of stores have no limit on the number of boxes to purchase.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:57 pm

teotwaki wrote:FYI: the local WalMarts are overflowing with .22 ammo of all brands. A number of stores have no limit on the number of boxes to purchase.
Went into a my local walmart while waiting to get my tire professionally repaired. They have a GARBAGE selection of ammo, like a small counter with an upright display case. That's all they have, even big 5 has more!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Wal-Mart is pretty much the only store around here that DOESN'T have it cause some fudds buy it up and take it to gun shows trying to get rich.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:32 pm

There are three WalDaddys within 15 miles of me, but it's been 3+ years since I've been in one.....so I have no idea what their ammo situation is. :ooh:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:59 pm

00dlez wrote:Wal-Mart is pretty much the only store around here that DOESN'T have it cause some fudds buy it up and take it to gun shows trying to get rich.
There used to be a website or an app that would tell you when your local walmart was getting .22LR ammo.

I stocked up a few years ago when a local Gander Mountain store was opening.

I want to say I spent like 300 or 400 dollars on just .22LR .
I had so much ammo that I kept the Gander Mountain basket that I used to carry all the ammo out to my truck.

I am probably all set for .22LR for the rest of my life.

There was a time when I shot two steel challenge type matches each month. I got tired of picking up my centerfire brass to reload later, so I was just shooting .22LR. My Beretta .22LR conversion rain flawlessly.

Then I had an Advantage Arms .22LR kit for my 1911.

I put a C-more red dot on it.

And it ran like a scalded ape too. :D

So that was about 300 rounds of .22 a month.

on a side note, my little Savage 93 in .17 HMR never did group worth a darn. I have to wonder if it is the scope or scope mounts???

If I were to ever go prairie dog hunting (shooting), I would take at least 3 rifles with me: a .223 , a .22-250, and a .243.

Guns are icky!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:03 pm

I leave for Handgun 101 in 30 minutes & I have Handgun 102 tomorrow.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Halfapint wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Ugh....just fell into the .300 BO "pistol" truck gun trap.Image
ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
Gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:15 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Ugh....just fell into the .300 BO "pistol" truck gun trap.Image
ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
Gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble...

How's the bandwagon? Is it everything you ever hoped and dreamed it would be? I know it is. What's your mag loadout look like? 220gr subs? 150gr? or 110gr? Curious what you're shooting.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Halfapint wrote:How's the bandwagon? Is it everything you ever hoped and dreamed it would be? I know it is. What's your mag loadout look like? 220gr subs? 150gr? or 110gr? Curious what you're shooting.
Haven't shot it yet. Was going to this morning, but ended-up throwing sod at a buddy's house instead...and now our regularly scheduled afternoon T-storms are kickin'. I'm gonna try again tomorrow morning.

Right now I have a couple hundred rounds of 124 gr. FMJs and a couple hundred Hornady 110 gr. V-max to break it in/sight-in with. Think I'm gonna get some Barnes 110 gr. TAC-TX for serious stuff....it's supposed to be pretty nasty out to a couple hundred yards.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:54 pm

chills1994 wrote: on a side note, my little Savage 93 in .17 HMR never did group worth a darn. I have to wonder if it is the scope or scope mounts???
Could just have been that particular gun. Some guns also shoot better with certain ammo. Mine seems to have excellent accuracy with the Winchester HV... when it fires. I have 200 rounds of CCI .22 Mag coming on Monday. I'll post up a report on how it groups.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:45 am

brothaman wrote:I really wish the 17 M2 would have been successful. A guy at my gun range let me borrow a contender barrel back when it was the new hotness. Stupid accurate. No recoil. Great for small game.
I've always wanted a Mk1 Target in 17M2 because why not. Something about bottle necked cartridges in handguns (not 5.7 cause that safety is disgusting) just tickles me.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:25 am

Back to the range today. Today will be a better day.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:53 am

Dogan wrote:
brothaman wrote:I really wish the 17 M2 would have been successful. A guy at my gun range let me borrow a contender barrel back when it was the new hotness. Stupid accurate. No recoil. Great for small game.
I've always wanted a Mk1 Target in 17M2 because why not. Something about bottle necked cartridges in handguns (not 5.7 cause that safety is disgusting) just tickles me.
That would be the poo.
I've got a some extra scratch together for a new,.. something. I was looking hard at a Single Seven 327. But I also really like that 17 HMR Single Six. It'd make a nice companion to my Henry Octagon in 17 HMR. To FERK your PCC combo. I want a RRCR (Rimfire Rifle Caliber Revolver) Combo.

I'm so not a tactical dude. I think its becoming very obvious that I just want to shoot all the guns. I'm not prepared for Z-Day. Imma just eat brass, plant and grow rifles, and drink gun oil when WROL happens.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Rethinking the EoTech on the "truck gun". It can get pretty hot in the cab when it's just sitting in the sun, and IIRC the thermal drift problem starts kickin' in around 120°F. I thought about swapping it out with an AP Micro or an RMR, then I saw a vid where sumdood did a hot & cold test on his Micro.....and it experienced some shift also (not as bad as an Eo, but still noticable).

I have a laser thermometer around here somewhere. Maybe I'll do a little test: leave it in the truck out in the yard for a few hours and let the cab get nice and hot, then take a temp reading on the optic to see how warm it actually got, then run back to the backyard range and blast a few groups to see if there is a noticeable shift.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”