So what endangered round is going to outlive you?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Which round is the Energizer bunny?

1. 22 Short- weak and unreliable why would you want it?
23%
2. 16 ga- Why not choose 12 or 20 ga
23%
3. 357 Sig- an overpriced 40 cal
8%
4. 35 Remington- less power and more recoil... why?
No votes
5. 8mm Mauser- great back in the day but not anymore
23%
6. 303 British- less suitable than 8mm Mauser but more $
15%
7. 41 Magnum-why not choose 44 Mag more power and cheapr
8%

Total votes: 13

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

So what endangered round is going to outlive you?

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:41 pm

There are a lot of rounds out there that have been described as outdated and almost certainly to go extinct within a short time. Some have been on this list for a while. So which round is gonna beat all the prognosticators (sp?)
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

woodsghost

Re: So what endangered round is going to outlive you?

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 pm

1) are we assuming "in the United States?" Because a bunch of those will likely live on quite a while in certain parts of the world.

2) Lifespan is different for different folks here, so "outliving" will mean different things. For some, that would be about 70 years. For others, that would be about 15 years. In 15 years I expect all those rounds to still be around.

3) In 70 years I expect all those rounds to be around, though some in VERY limited quantities. I'm looking hard at the .357 Sig..... and honestly I would have thought the .35 Rem would have bit the dust a while back, but it is still as effective today as it was then. I have a friend who LOVES that round.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:21 pm

If the .45GAP can keep hanging on, I don't see any reason for any of those other calibers to die off. Hell, I even managed to find a box of .32NAA after reading this thread.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:56 pm

Personally I am a fan of 16 ga but people have been predicting the death of it for 30 years and yet it still hangs on. The point is of these rounds, all considered on death's door what do you think will hold on the longest ( or never die). There are some good rounds that for different reasons died out. 455 webley, 9mm steyer, 222 remington, 45-90, 38 colt, 10 mm Gasser, 357 Maximum. There also some popular or somewhat popular now I think will die like 300 Blackout, 50 AE, 327 Mag, and .17 HMR.

hondo

Post by hondo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:44 pm

16 ga is popular in Europe, same goes for 8mm Mauser, just check European gun makers web sites, Mauser, Steyr,etc. making rifles in 8x57 mm.

rednekrampager
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell i love them all.

Post by rednekrampager » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:07 am

hondo wrote:16 ga is popular in Europe, same goes for 8mm Mauser, just check European gun makers web sites, Mauser, Steyr,etc. making rifles in 8x57 mm.
I really love the 8mm Mauser. It's my go to hunting rifle.

Then again , I really like that bullet so much I'm building myself an 8mm-06. Just because I can.
Get off my lawn!!

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:07 am

The Twizzler wrote: There are some good rounds that for different reasons died out. 455 webley, 9mm steyer, 222 remington, 45-90, 38 colt, 10 mm Gasser, 357 Maximum.
You're going to have to try harder to come up with "dead" calibers. With the exception of the Gasser (and I'm assuming you meant 8mm), MidwayUSA has factory ammo and new brass in stock. There are dies available for all of them.

Sure, you can't find them at Wally World, but it takes a lot to kill off a cartridge. As long as there are functioning guns out there the caliber will at least limp along.
" So, brave knights,

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Well dang, Yossarian you make a good point. I don't normally see those calibers in my area gun stores but I guess they live online. I guess maybe dead isn't the right word, maybe diminished? What would you say are smokeless powder dead rounds?

yossarian

Post by yossarian » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Right now I can't think of one. I googled "obsolete firearm calibers" but most of those showed up here https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/ca ... goryId/607 also. Their list of handgun brass is pretty impressive too. .310 Cattlekiller anyone?

I thought maybe some pinfires would qualify as "dead", but then I found this http://hlebooks.com/pinfire/pin01.htm

I'm certain that there are calibers that are pining for the fjords, but they are so obscure that coming across a functioning weapon that needs them would be very unlikely.
" So, brave knights,

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:06 pm

It's amazing what you can find on the internet. I have a friend with a 24 gauge shotgun that belonged to his grandfather and he wanted to shoot it once. One trip to the internet and, sure enough, there's one company still making factory loaded shells and one making brass hulls. Surprised me, I figured it was a long dead gauge.

hondo

Post by hondo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:12 am

rednekrampager wrote:
hondo wrote:16 ga is popular in Europe, same goes for 8mm Mauser, just check European gun makers web sites, Mauser, Steyr,etc. making rifles in 8x57 mm.
I really love the 8mm Mauser. It's my go to hunting rifle.

Then again , I really like that bullet so much I'm building myself an 8mm-06. Just because I can.
From time to time I use Mauser loaded with S&B or PPU ammo for bear hunting. Mostly for kick and giggles in reality it is strong enough to take a moose or brown bear down.

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:39 am

The Twizzler wrote:Personally I am a fan of 16 ga but people have been predicting the death of it for 30 years and yet it still hangs on. The point is of these rounds, all considered on death's door what do you think will hold on the longest ( or never die). There are some good rounds that for different reasons died out. 455 webley, 9mm steyer, 222 remington, 45-90, 38 colt, 10 mm Gasser, 357 Maximum. There also some popular or somewhat popular now I think will die like 300 Blackout, 50 AE, 327 Mag, and .17 HMR.

.357 Max is not dead- single shot rifles and pistols are still chambered in it. But the reason you can't find it in revolvers anymore is because the gas pressures were too high and using it was tantamount to taking a cutting torch to the top strap of your revolver. With today's metallurgy, it might work- but it didn't back then.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:46 am

yossarian wrote:Right now I can't think of one. I googled "obsolete firearm calibers" but most of those showed up here https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/ca ... goryId/607 also. Their list of handgun brass is pretty impressive too. .310 Cattlekiller anyone?

I thought maybe some pinfires would qualify as "dead", but then I found this http://hlebooks.com/pinfire/pin01.htm

I'm certain that there are calibers that are pining for the fjords, but they are so obscure that coming across a functioning weapon that needs them would be very unlikely.

Me and my family are unapologetic capitalist- this thread reminds me of something I heard a lot as a child: you can get anything done if you throw enough money at it.

Even if these 'dead' rounds weren't offered in a specialty catalog- you could pay someone to custom make them.

But at some point using a rare round (that is a better description of Twiz's question) is cost prohibitive.

And what is our benchmark here, the Walmart ammo case? If so, then 7.62x54R has been 'dead' for decades.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:15 pm

Ok, I thought of a few, close to death
Gyro Jet rounds.

2.7mm Kolibri

25 NAA-

284 Winchester

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Maybe 7.62 Nambu? Spelling?

8mm Nambu. 8x22, to be specific. Gotta die pretty soon here.

Nice work on those other picks Twizz!

.223 caseless, fired from the VEC-91. I remember when that stuff was actually for sale.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... er-vec-91/

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:25 pm

Damn you got the gyro jet! I love that such a bizarre round, but it can be shot underwater!!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 pm

14 gauge shotguns.

I believe we can sing the dirge for that one.
Boldly going nowhere

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:06 pm

Did anyone pick these?

.25acp (still tons of firearms for this caliber, though few still are made today)
.38 S&W (Still tons of pre ww-2 revolvers out there, again few if any are made today)

I think (not positive) .32 long and short,.38 long and short have ceased production so they would not count

.32-20 and .44-40 are ancient but I am sure they will around as long as Cowboy Action events are still going which I suspect will be an event for quite some time. So I am not sure they qualify as endangered.

I will go with .38 S&W. Of the ones on the ballot I went with .41 mag since it is still a niche cartridge for some hunters.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Don't forget the zombie rounds.
No, not the hornady marketing fad -
Real deal, 5mm rimfire? Dead and gone, aguila comes along and boom - zombies.
30 carbine, wasnt dead - but was close enought to start smelling.
Others?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:09 pm

.22 Spitfire would be a good one for the endangered list.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:23 pm

What about the old 10 gauge ?

I know 8 gauge is pretty much a relic of a bygone era, but 10 gauge seems to be barely hanging on and it's usually a bunch of die hard fans of it that are buying it all.

Neville

Post by Neville » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:13 pm

300 Savage and .35 Remington are good bets. Nothing wrong with either of these. The guns chambered in these rounds, with proper care, will last a lifetime of shooting. Still on the shelves after almost 100 years... that's not a bad run and I doubt they're done yet.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:48 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:What about the old 10 gauge ?

I know 8 gauge is pretty much a relic of a bygone era, but 10 gauge seems to be barely hanging on and it's usually a bunch of die hard fans of it that are buying it all.
10 gauge was basically dead, until hunters had to start using steel shot, this forced its comeback and because of that, it's still popular with waterfowl and turkey hunters. I actually don't see it going anywhere unless specialty lead-free 12ga loads (like tungsten) end up being consistently cheaper than steel 10 ga loads.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Dooms wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:What about the old 10 gauge ?

10 gauge was basically dead, until hunters had to start using steel shot, this forced its comeback and because of that, it's still popular with waterfowl and turkey hunters. I actually don't see it going anywhere unless specialty lead-free 12ga loads (like tungsten) end up being consistently cheaper than steel 10 ga loads.
Good point. I had forgotten about the lead free shot requirements.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”