You can only choose one not ideal gun in Alaska.

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

These are my choices?

Bolt action scoped .17 HMR with 5 rounds
14%
SW 357 2 inch J frame revolver with 5 rounds
19%
BFG revolver 45-70 with 5 rounds but the handle sheared off
5%
Enfield Mark 3 WW1 rifle, one round but with the sword bayonet
14%
Kentucky long rifle with ammo, wad, flint,only pwder for 5 shots
No votes
Henry 22 Lever action with 14 .22 short rounds
48%

Total votes: 21

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

You can only choose one not ideal gun in Alaska.

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:54 pm

So you are flying into Alaska on a small plane and you crash into water. The pilot dies and your guns are unreachable as they are locked in the carry all on the outside of the plane. You don't have the key and the plane is sinking fast. For reasons, you can only grab what the pilot took in the cab. He was an idiot so you only have time to grab one of his guns and the ammo loaded in said gun. No extra mags or bandoliers or loose rounds. You have to dance with the partner that brung you. These are your choices. You have a sinking feeling that the transponder might not have been working as the pilot kept saying during the flight that the government was hiding listening devices in his cheese. :P Lets say a tent and some survival gear floated to the shore so you can survive for some time but you don't know how long and you dont know when or if help is coming. Lets say civilization is 500 miles away for funzies.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

quazi

Re: You can only choose one not ideal gun in Alaska.

Post by quazi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:16 am

I voted Henry with .22 shorts, but that depends on where in Alaska, what time of year and how much food I was able to grab. Some places during certain times of the year I'd rather have the S&W.

If I'm in the inland North Slope I'd rather have the Henry. If I'm along the southern coast while the salmon are running I'd rather have the S&W.

I know this is for funzies, but I feel compelled to get pedantic and let everyone know that there is no place in mainland Alaska where you would be 500 miles away from a community of some sort. There are small villages all over the place.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:17 am

Honestly a PFD would be first thing I would grab followed by the ELT...it will be in the baggage area and generally yellow or red. Hopefully it is not one that is permanently mounted.

If you are 500 miles away then the transponder is not going to matter working or otherwise.

As for the weapon I would prefer the Enfield since it has a bayonet and can be used as a club. That said anyone I could grab would better than harsh words to the critters.

Also at the risk of being padandic most bush planes have an endurance of less than 4 hours if they have even just passengers. Fully loaded with cargo and people much less time so it unlikely to be 500 miles from a fuel source.

Still I get it ... 50 miles of wilderness may at times depending upon terrain ... may as be 500 miles. You are s

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:31 am

Honestly, I'll take the 45/70 revolver. I've shot a lot of Contender and Encore pistols. While the BFG might be unwieldy, I know I can take game out to 100 yard while defending myself at close range. Also, it'd make a good hammer. My second choice would be the Henry and the 22 shorts.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:50 pm

I'd go with the Henry so I could hopefully bag more meals of grouse or rabbits (or whatever lives up there).

I know a moose or a bear would provide a lot of jerky but if I burned ammo killing a big critter I wouldn't have the ability to defend my kill from the next predator.

Plus the Henry rifle would make a fair beating stick with that brass buttplate.

Defense would have to be my golden club, sharpened sticks and violence of action after the bullets are gone.
Boldly going nowhere

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:11 pm

I'll take the Smith&wesson. Just for the time being as since the plane is close to shore it shouldn't be too deep underwater. I can return to retrieve the other guns and gear at my leisure
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:58 pm

The point was you can only get one, let's say the lake is to deep for you to dive and make it back up.
flybynight wrote:I'll take the Smith&wesson. Just for the time being as since the plane is close to shore it shouldn't be too deep underwater. I can return to retrieve the other guns and gear at my leisure

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:06 pm

How do you plan to use it without the handle? The poll said the handle sheared off. It's the barrel, cylinder, upper frame, and hammer.
You dont' get one of these :clap:

brothaman wrote:Honestly, I'll take the 45/70 revolver. I've shot a lot of Contender and Encore pistols. While the BFG might be unwieldy, I know I can take game out to 100 yard while defending myself at close range. Also, it'd make a good hammer. My second choice would be the Henry and the 22 shorts.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:10 pm

I'm choosing the historic knife on a stick and going out with a bang. Figure this is my best chance to make a furry creature bleed if I'm locked in mortal combat, a la "the grey."

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:14 pm

The Twizzler wrote:How do you plan to use it without the handle? The poll said the handle sheared off. It's the barrel, cylinder, upper frame, and hammer.

brothaman wrote:Honestly, I'll take the 45/70 revolver. I've shot a lot of Contender and Encore pistols. While the BFG might be unwieldy, I know I can take game out to 100 yard while defending myself at close range. Also, it'd make a good hammer. My second choice would be the Henry and the 22 shorts.
Well, ferk it. I'll let the whole bag of turds sink and try my luck with a sharp stick.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:15 pm

The Twizzler wrote:The point was you can only get one, let's say the lake is to deep for you to dive and make it back up.
flybynight wrote:I'll take the Smith&wesson. Just for the time being as since the plane is close to shore it shouldn't be too deep underwater. I can return to retrieve the other guns and gear at my leisure
Kobayashi Maru ala James T. Kirk

John Titor was right

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:20 pm

flybynight wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:The point was you can only get one, let's say the lake is to deep for you to dive and make it back up.
you're going to program a virus into the airplane so that it then floats to the surface so you can gather your supplies?

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:27 pm

:clap: Don't be that way :D . I mean you could have crashed and been injured like the black guy from The Edge. It was survival scenario your the unkown black guy and your partners are Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins :shock: .

brothaman wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:How do you plan to use it without the handle? The poll said the handle sheared off. It's the barrel, cylinder, upper frame, and hammer.

Well, ferk it. I'll let the whole bag of turds sink and try my luck with a sharp stick.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Really hoping it is late spring or early summer.

In order I'd take the .17 HMR or the Henry with the shorts. Third choice would be the 45/70 Revolver. I'd have to make a go at fabricating a grip. If it had a grip it would be first choice.

I'd make sure to stick around the shore to pick up an open all the packages that come ashore. I really need the ice skates. And Wilson.

The HMR is a good long range small game getter. The scope will be useful and any rifle has a secondary function as a club. The Henry is the second best game getter.

The Enfield is near worthless and heavy. The musket loader might be a good choice but you did not mention what kind of shot and bullets and I am not interested in making due.

Everyone knows the black guy is just there for bear bait in the horror movies.

the pilot kept saying during the flight that the government was hiding listening devices in his cheese
Conveniently explains his gun choices too.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:45 pm

I spent 45 years working in the government Cheese Dept. I can assure you we hid listening devices, and bombs, and "actresses" in cheese. We got quite good at it before the CIA took over and made a mess of things.

If there was a knife in the survival supplies, I'd take the S&W revolver. If not, I'd take the Enfield. Cuz bayonet.

Then I'd rope me some sea turtles and fly out of there.

*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Tobias05 wrote:
flybynight wrote:
you're going to program a virus into the airplane so that it then floats to the surface so you can gather your supplies?
no I'm going to rig the scenario so I come out ahead. " The only unfair fight is the one you lose"
. Kirk snuck in the night before and re wrote the program to allow him to save the freighter and defeat the Klingons.
I have abandoned the sinking plane with the snubby smith. Swam to shore. Built a fire using EDC items on my person . After I warmed up I swam back out to the crash site. (Scenario edit here) dove down twenty feet to the wreck . pulled out and opened the inflatable life raft. Used that to ferry my personal guns, The dead pilots guns . The gear. That evening I sat by the fire outside my wall tent. Drinking lake cold beer after BBQ'n Carrabou steaks that were in the 160 qt cooler and hope I get attacked by at least one bear before I'm rescued. ( It will look more harrowing in the three night mini series they make about my adventure. You kinow from the best seller I wrote about the crash and all that followed . TERROR AT BLOODY BEAR LAKE by Fly B Night. ) :clap: :awesome:

John Titor was right

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:02 am

The Twizzler wrote:So you are flying into Alaska on a small plane and you crash into water. The pilot dies and your guns are unreachable as they are locked in the carry all on the outside of the plane. You don't have the key and the plane is sinking fast. For reasons, you can only grab what the pilot took in the cab. He was an idiot so you only have time to grab one of his guns and the ammo loaded in said gun. No extra mags or bandoliers or loose rounds. You have to dance with the partner that brung you. These are your choices. You have a sinking feeling that the transponder might not have been working as the pilot kept saying during the flight that the government was hiding listening devices in his cheese. :P Lets say a tent and some survival gear floated to the shore so you can survive for some time but you don't know how long and you dont know when or if help is coming. Lets say civilization is 500 miles away for funzies.
Why can't it be australia "lake. what lake?"

take the lee enfield as self defence, activate my PLB/plane's ELB and wait for rescue, use flares (survival gear) for signalling rescue crew and hopefully shoot something dramatic before they come for a good story
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:45 am

The Twizzler wrote::clap: Don't be that way :D . I mean you could have crashed and been injured like the black guy from The Edge. It was survival scenario your the unkown black guy and your partners are Alec Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins :shock: .

brothaman wrote:

Nah, Brah. It's not like that. I was just miffed I didn't read it completely. As long As I have the Survival Gear on Shore, I'd roll with is the Enfield. But, if I got stuck with the 45/70, assuming the kit has a knife and Paracord, I'd start in on a rifle stock for to the revolver or a grip of some sort. You could inlet that thing deep into a hardwood branch and "probably" be OK. Or,.... die from a massive head wound when that chunk o' stainless came flying back at your noggin. I wouldn't leave it behind if it was all I had.
Last edited by brothaman on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:30 am

Just a heads-up incase anyone missed it, the Enfield only comes with one round.

Granted it is one relatively accurate and powerful round.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:44 am

quazi wrote:Just a heads-up incase anyone missed it, the Enfield only comes with one round.

Granted it is one relatively accurate and powerful round.
I saw that but it also comes with a bayonet which IMO is likely to be more useful any way.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:07 pm

raptor wrote:I saw that but it also comes with a bayonet which IMO is likely to be more useful any way.
That's a good point, and it begs the question of do we get a knife separate from our choice of firearm? I was operating under the assumption that while we only managed to grab one gun we did manage to grab some other survival supplies as well. If we didn't then I would change my vote to Enfield.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:18 pm

quazi wrote:
raptor wrote:I saw that but it also comes with a bayonet which IMO is likely to be more useful any way.
That's a good point, and it begs the question of do we get a knife separate from our choice of firearm? I was operating under the assumption that while we only managed to grab one gun we did manage to grab some other survival supplies as well. If we didn't then I would change my vote to Enfield.
I was not sure about that. There may be one in the "survival gear" but I figured if I had to grab one I would grab the one that had a knife on it.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:34 pm

Sure. You get a knife. :P

Victorinox Golf Tool

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:41 pm

I did say he was an idiot. Maybe you shouldn't have booked the cheapest pilot :lol:

the pilot kept saying during the flight that the government was hiding listening devices in his cheese
Conveniently explains his gun choices too.[/quote]

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”