Trunk Gun Case

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Trunk Gun Case

Post by Halfapint » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:01 am

Greetings hive mind! I come to you with a quandary.

I've decided to make my AR pistol (300blk) my trunk gun. Being a responsible gun owner I want to make sure it's secure. I was looking at a Pelican case (1605), it is 26" inside length my gun is 24 1/3". I'm wondering if there's another option, or what do people on here use? I would prefer black or grey (match the interior). I am not dead set on a pelican, as I think they are a bit flashy, however I know they are damn near indestructible.

What are your thoughts?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Trunk Gun Case

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:11 am

How are you attaching it to the vehicle?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:44 am

Through the under body metal. I had it up on a a lift and scouted out a nice area that I can drill a couple holes and put a couple of bolts through. This would mean I have to drill through the case but I'm ok with that. Silicone sealant will be used to seal it from outside moisture.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:57 am

There are some Pelican knock-offs out there that are almost as good.

Is the case either vertical or perpendicular in relation to the driver and passengers?
Is it visible from the outside?
Will there be potential to have stuff piled on top of the case?
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:19 am

Halfapint wrote:Greetings hive mind!
One of us, one of us, one of us...

I haven't set this up yet but, my idea was very similar to yours. My plan is to use carriage bolts though, running in from the outside up and thru the case, that way there is no way to unbolt it from the outside or unbolt it if you can't open the case. Then will also use some rubber grommets large washers and tar coating to waterproof that connection.

With carriage bolts you have to cut a square hole though.

I haven't decided on a polymer case or diamond plate steel one yet either though. Or the size as I may be storing other stuff in it too. The other idea I had was to use a safe cable that starts and stops inside the case and connects to something inside the trunk.

I like these kinds too though, there's one type that mounts to the ceiling of your car. But I'm thinking of a case because of the 'other stuff'.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:42 pm

Stercutus wrote:There are some Pelican knock-offs out there that are almost as good.

Is the case either vertical or perpendicular in relation to the driver and passengers?
Is it visible from the outside?
Will there be potential to have stuff piled on top of the case?
It will be perpendicular and mounted in the trunk so it can be accessed if I drop the rear seat down. Being in the trunk it won't be viewed from outside unless the trunk is open. My car is usually spotless unless I'm going to the range or going camping, but of course there could be times where things are piled on.

This is going to be in a car so it'll be a little harder to have something that long. I also don't want the diamond plate. But your mounting idea is pretty much spot on to how I want to try it.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:14 pm

If I may suggest....a toolbox.
You can easily, if you so desire, bolt it to the floor of your trunk in the manner you've mentioned.
It's inexpensive.
It looks like something that should be in a car trunk, as opposed to a pelican case. Slap an STP sticker on the outside of it and anyone who catches a glimpse of it in your trunk will think it's your roadside breakdown kit. In a pinch you can use it as a carry case for your weapon.
http://quarterbore.com/ar15m16/toolbox.html
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

moab

Post by moab » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:00 pm

I own several Pelican cases. Including the full size rifle ones. I think if you used a plate inside the case to bolt it to the floor you'd be ok. To displace the force of say 4 drilled holes with bolts in them. And there are other cases out there that are just about as good as Pelicans for a lot less. Can't remember the brand name. But one I looked at was just the same only way cheaper. I also know that if you live close to Torrance CA they sell seconds for a lot less. I like the Pelican type case over a metal case as it won't rust or draw in moisture. Metal would not be a good choice in my mind.

What type of vehicle are you trying to do this on? And where in the vehicle?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:08 pm

It's going in an Audi A4 in the trunk behind the rear seats.. I've seen a lot of the cheaper versions on Amazon. The problem I'm having is finding the proper size. Pelican makes one that is perfect but it's $500 because it's "specialty." While 500 isn't a deal breaker, it's just a tough pill to swallow for a trunk gun case.

Also fun note A4s have a hidden compartment that is really great for hiding things in the trunk. If I cut a little of the plastic in the trunk, I could easily hide my 26" bbl 308 in there and no one would know. Unfortunately it swallowed 3 mags of my 300blk, so I have to take my inside quarter panels off to get them back. Lol

moab

Post by moab » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Halfapint wrote:It's going in an Audi A4 in the trunk behind the rear seats.. I've seen a lot of the cheaper versions on Amazon. The problem I'm having is finding the proper size. Pelican makes one that is perfect but it's $500 because it's "specialty." While 500 isn't a deal breaker, it's just a tough pill to swallow for a trunk gun case.

Also fun note A4s have a hidden compartment that is really great for hiding things in the trunk. If I cut a little of the plastic in the trunk, I could easily hide my 26" bbl 308 in there and no one would know. Unfortunately it swallowed 3 mags of my 300blk, so I have to take my inside quarter panels off to get them back. Lol
$500 is a bitter pill to swallow. I agree. I think Pelican cases are now over priced. Considering their competition. Mine were bought long ago. And I think I even bought some of them as seconds. Same goes for Yeti coolers. There's another brand called RTIC I think. That is a fraction of the cost.

If your going to bury it behind the backseats. I wonder if a simple rifle mount wouldn't work? Where do you live? Is it a wet climate? I'd think you could oil it up good or even put it inside a bag and then the mount. And you'd be safe from it corroding.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Seattle area so yeah it's a bit damp. I keep my guns pretty well oiled but sometimes still get a bit rusty. I personally would prefer a hard case, as Seattle and outlying area are the highest in the nation for "property crimes." Busted out windows and cars being prowled are very common. I've had luck with the Audi not being targeted, but I keep it pretty spotless inside so it doesn't look to have anything of value.

Don't want to make it easy for a criminal to steal the gun when it's in there (not that they couldn't). I've kinda put the project on hold as I've been busy with other projects and such, and I really don't want to spend 500 on a case just to drill holes in it and in my car. That and I've never needed a "trunk gun" before, though I like the idea as a just in case my pistol caliber isn't enough (though I've never needed my pistol either..... Knock on wood).

50 Mission Cap

Post by 50 Mission Cap » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:25 pm

Another advantage of the Pelican type case is that they're mostly water tight. I know it's in the car, but you could throw a rechargeable desiccant bag in there to further prevent any light surface rust. In the PNW moisture would work it's way in with temperature swings.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:48 am

Oil will only do so much, throw a rechargeable dessicant in the case.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:46 pm

There are dedicated car trunk rifle safes that cable to the car's frame. TruckVault and Snapsafe are two brands that come to mind. In your shoes, I would prefer a dedicated steel safe over a polymer air cargo container.

quino171

Post by quino171 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:04 pm

moab wrote:I own several Pelican cases. Including the full size rifle ones. I think if you used a plate inside the case to bolt it to the floor you'd be ok. To displace the force of say 4 drilled holes with bolts in them. And there are other cases out there that are just about as good as Pelicans for a lot less. Can't remember the brand name. But one I looked at was just the same only way cheaper. I also know that if you live close to Torrance CA they sell seconds for a lot less. I like the Pelican type case over a metal case as it won't rust or draw in moisture. Metal would not be a good choice in my mind.

What type of vehicle are you trying to do this on? And where in the vehicle?
I have seen Plano cases for about $60.....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:54 pm

Here's my Grey Man - Ridgid Small Toolbox, Trunk Gun case. I just finished it. Sort of.

The case was $29.99 at HomeDepot.
The Kaizen foam inserts were ordered in to fit the case at $33.00. https://kaizeninserts.com/
I got a $7 vinyl covered bike cable at Walmart to secure the case to the inside of the trunk.
And the only issue I'm having is the lock. I have a Brinks 4 digit combination lock on it, $7.99. But the shackle is kind of thin, and that's because its the only shackle size that will fit thru the hole in the case. I'm still on the lookout for something better.

There are actually two levels of the foam that when I'm 'really' finished I will need to glue together. The deepest cuts so far are the dual mags and optic; the lower and can, only cut into the top layer for example. Top layer is about 1.25" and the second is about 3". I still need to cut in the space for the mounted weaponlight which will go on the underside of the front rail as you're looking at it there. [90 degrees as the crow flies] Currently not mounted. And then a space for the sling. I have to figure that one out, probably under the lower. Or under the two grips. Have to overthink it for a while.

Lifetime gamer watch at:

ImageImageImage

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:47 pm

How about fabricating some strap steel that encircles the box with a flange in front to lock together with a real lock. It would have to be two pieces. You could have the front set up for the padlock and the back would have the cable. You wouldn't have to worry about the substandard lock fitting the existing hole
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:05 pm

If they've already gained access to the trunk then they likely have tools that would just rip the hasp off the box or pry it open after releasing the other hasp. The cable just calls attention to it as being something very valuable every time you open the trunk. Go true grey man. Take that purty box and beat it up some. Give it some scuffs, get some dirt on it, maybe hit it with an ugly shade of spray paint in a couple of areas. Put a lock on each hasp, run an old piece of chain through the handle and face that towards the back of the trunk so it isn't obvious that it's chained.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:20 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:05 pm
If they've already gained access to the trunk then they likely have tools that would just rip the hasp off the box or pry it open after releasing the other hasp. The cable just calls attention to it as being something very valuable every time you open the trunk. Go true grey man. Take that purty box and beat it up some. Give it some scuffs, get some dirt on it, maybe hit it with an ugly shade of spray paint in a couple of areas. Put a lock on each hasp, run an old piece of chain through the handle and face that towards the back of the trunk so it isn't obvious that it's chained.
I did that to the car. :clap: The car is the grey man because I have other prep stuff in there too that have some value. I've thought about the security aspect a lot. Good ideas.
Thanks for the input, I just turned the box around and you can't see anything. But my strategy is that the greyman car is unnoticeable an not deserving of the least consideration in the first place. You're absolutely right, once trunk is compromised, it's game over really.

Because I know the lock and cable i'm using can be defeated with the right tool, [Consider how secure this is. >> https://www.concealedcarrypro.com/image ... rInCar.jpg ] and so can a large lock shackle and a chain. Two locks take about 10 seconds longer than 1 if you have a bolt cutter. IME cables are harder to cut with a bolt cutter than chains. But if you have a cable cutter_ then they go down like wet spaghetti. A battery or power cut off wheel works great on the box, the shackle, the cable, and the chain of any diameter. But what car crook carries both a bolt or cable cutter or cutoff wheel into the field? They'd really need to steal the car I think, and if they do that, no amount of security will withstand time in a shop. Only bike thieves carry cable cutters, everyone else carries bolt cutters. Macgyver is the only one I know who carries all three or can fashion them from his surroundings.

flybynight wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:47 pm
How about fabricating some strap steel that encircles the box with a flange in front to lock together with a real lock. It would have to be two pieces. You could have the front set up for the padlock and the back would have the cable. You wouldn't have to worry about the substandard lock fitting the existing hole
flybynight, I'm worried about its water resistance being compromised as they would have to be bolted onto it, and also want to use it as a plain old gun case so it shouldn't look like a d!rty b0mb from Strikeback I'm carrying around :wink: . I don't want this case to be permanently mounted to the car either because it does double as a plain old gun case that I can carry into the range, etc. I did think about mounting a better lock hasp already, just not the straps all the way around, but nixed it because i thought anyone who has time/tools to work on any security measure, has time to defeat any measure. But I'm pretty sure there is a shackle out there 1-2mm larger that would be a bit better, and with a better combo mechanism, but again, the right tool can cut even the largest shackles. So the lock/cable isn't for the guys with the tools, its for the guys who didn't come prepared and don't have time to mess around or make a lot of noise.

I'm open for more ideas though. I'd be interested in securing the trunk more so it can't be accessed. But right now there is a manual lever release to pop it from inside the cab. There is a key fob release. There are seat releases inside the cab that flip the back seats forward revealing the trunkspace. And the trunk key latch. The only thing i don't really use is the seat releases.
Lifetime gamer watch at:

ImageImageImage

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:40 pm

It's been my experience of late that more thieves are carrying cheap Harbor Freight level battery angle grinders and cutoff wheels because they're more effective than bolt cutters and less obvious.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Somewhat amusingly, this popped up in my Youtube feed: Building the ULTIMATE Vehicle concealed carry system E22.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:37 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:05 pm
Somewhat amusingly, this popped up in my Youtube feed: Building the ULTIMATE Vehicle concealed carry system E22.
I don't get how he considers that concealed.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:22 pm

NT2C wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:37 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:05 pm
I don't get how he considers that concealed.
It's only visible when the rear seats are down.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:39 pm

The truck I purchased actually has a built in gun spot. The Audi got retired after the accident. The only thing I need to figure out is how to get it to lock.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”