It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First real gun safe
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:26 pm 

So I'm moving in the next couple of months (yes its finally happening this time) and for the time being I'll be leaving the vast majority of my firearms at my parents house except for my 12 gauge, my G19 and Snub nosed 442. I'd bring the rest but all I have is a stack-on security cabinet which works well for the area my parents live but where I'm moving...its...the city near a nasty part of town.

So my first major purchase is going to be a true gun safe. One that is fireproof and heavy duty with the ability to be anchored down. Something that can't be pried open. You all know a burglary is a time sensitive operation and the longer it takes to access stuff, the more they might give up.

There are so many different brands and I'm kinda confused on what to go with. For size, lets start at a 14 up to a 20 long-gun safe. That will give me room to grow in the future. American made if possible unless its a highly recommended foreign imported. I'd like the $6-800 dollar range but am willing to jump to $1000 if absolutely needed. Door mounted storage for mags/handguns/etc would be nice. The ability to store in a normal closet would be a highly desirable extra.

So what about access routes? E-keypad, combo lock? Any true defensive firearms will be stored in a separate set up for quick retrieval. How do fire ratings work and what is recommended?

Thanks everyone. If you have pictures of what you have or recommend that would be great.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: First real gun safe
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:19 pm 

You should absolutely check out Sturdy Safe. American made, thick steel is their business. Check out their videos too. Informative and they'll definitely give you a new perspective on RSCs.

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:31 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

First of all, congrats on thinking ahead and planning for your security/storage needs. Seriously, you'd be surprised how many folks don't.

That said, for $6-800 you won't be getting a "safe" but rather a residential security container (RSC). Not a problem as I've had a few over the years and still have one bolted to the floor and two walls in my master bedroom closet right now.

For less than a couple thousand $ you're buying moderate fire protection and maybe 5 minutes protection from an experienced/determined thief; maybe a couple more minutes if bolted down. Again, nothing wrong with that as your biggest threat is likely something less than a fully engulfed home fire and on the other side, a smash-and-grab theft.

There are literally dozens of brands out there in your price range (like the one I bought from Costco)...several are the same brand, with slightly different features and different paint and sold through various outlets under different names. The biggest thing to look for in this price range is an actual UL rating. There should be several reputable sellers in your AO with a lot of different choices.

Lots of info out there, but here's a good place to start: http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/m ... tection/2/

As for me, my next big purchase (or if we move this summer, one of the first things going in to our new house before the walls are all in) is the biggest Pendleton safe I can afford: http://www.pendletonsafes.com/about/under-the-hood/

Yes, there are others out there, maybe even better for the money, but I always loved their quality and the way that carousel spins. A friend has one and I've been jealous as hell ever since!

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited by 91Eunozs on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:01 pm 

91Eunozs wrote:
First of all, congrats on thinking ahead and planning for your security/storage needs. Seriously, you'd be surprised how many folks don't.

That said, for $6-800 you won't be getting a "safe" but rater a residential security container (RSC). Not a problem as I've had a few over the years and still have one bolted to the floor and two walls in my master bedroom closet right now.

For less than a couple thousand $ you're buying moderate fire protection and maybe 5 minutes protection from an experienced/determined thief; maybe a couple more minutes if bolted down. Again, nothing wrong with that as your biggest threat is likely something less than a fully engulfed home fire and on the other side, a smash-and-grab theft.

There are literally dozens of brands out there in your price range (like the one I bought from Costco)...several are the same brand, with slightly different features and different paint and sold through various outlets under different names. The biggest thing to look for in this price range is an actual UL rating. There should be several reputable sellers in your AO with a lot of different choices.

Lots of info out there, but here's a good place to start: http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/m ... tection/2/

As for me, my next big purchase (or if we move this summer, one of the first things going in to our new house before the walls are all in) is the biggest Pendleton safe I can afford: http://www.pendletonsafes.com/about/under-the-hood/

Yes, there are others out there, maybe even better for the money, but I always loved their quality and the way that carousel spins. A friend has one and I've been jealous as hell ever since!

You don't know what you don't know...and now I'm thinking...shit. I mean I do plan on converting my bedroom door to one with a lock maybe even a dead bolt and possible door devil. Window will be reinforced with anti-shatter film and a Charlie bar.

As for the safe...er RSC. I mean I want to think ahead but even now I know it would take probably 3-5 years to save up for an actual "safe"

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:23 pm 

A gun safe even a cheap one is better than none at all.

A cheap gun safe (locked, bolted down) will stop most burglars. Most burglars suck at being burglars and simply try to force most things open with whatever they have. They are looking for a quick score in and out.

If you let it be known that you have nice guns or expensive items in the safe, or people think that you do than you could draw the eye of someone who steals for a living. Even a really nice safe won't stop someone with the proper skills. Better not to let anyone know you have a safe or guns.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:43 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

0122358 wrote:
...As for the safe...er RSC. I mean I want to think ahead but even now I know it would take probably 3-5 years to save up for an actual "safe"

Tell me about it... My neighbor has not one, but two of these bolted down in his garage...with custom poured high strength concrete walls on three sides.

http://www.gunsafes.com/VaultPro-Monste ... -Safe.html

Edit: now that I read that description, I don't think that's the right one...I know he paid ~$10K each but I know I saw a TL-30 rating on the inside of the door.

Maybe if I manage to stick around in my current job long enough for my stocks to vest...we'll see if I can stand it that long!

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:21 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

0122358 wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:

That said, for $6-800 you won't be getting a "safe" but rater a residential security container (RSC). Not a problem as I've had a few over the years and still have one bolted to the floor and two walls in my master bedroom closet right now.

You don't know what you don't know...and now I'm thinking...shit. I mean I do plan on converting my bedroom door to one with a lock maybe even a dead bolt and possible door devil. Window will be reinforced with anti-shatter film and a Charlie bar.

As for the safe...er RSC. I mean I want to think ahead but even now I know it would take probably 3-5 years to save up for an actual "safe"

Just don't secure your bedroom so we'll you can't get out of it in a hurry.

Theft is part social engineering, so if you're not putting up "ROB THIS HOUSE" signs, telling the mailman and about your friends about your cool gun collection, and you make even basic effort to put it somewhere out of sight and difficult to access with a handtruck, you'd be pretty far along on preventing theft.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:08 pm 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
0122358 wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:

Just don't secure your bedroom so we'll you can't get out of it in a hurry.

Theft is part social engineering, so if you're not putting up "ROB THIS HOUSE" signs, telling the mailman and about your friends about your cool gun collection, and you make even basic effort to put it somewhere out of sight and difficult to access with a handtruck, you'd be pretty far along on preventing theft.

Naturally PERSEC is in play, as well as additional home security upgrades as my roommates and I can afford them to make it a layered tier of "obstacles". I 90% of the time don't talk about what I own and if I do its vague and downplayed.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:11 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

If you find internet experts, anything shy of a bank vault is not actually a "safe" but a piece of trash container with a fun acronym. And criminals will be lining up with their crowbars to get into it in under 30 seconds because they are garbage. They will also tell you about their brother's neighbor's cousin that bought a safe at Dick's and Mark Wahlberg from The Italian Job and George Clooney from Ocean's 11 pulled a heist and got away with his 3 Mosin Nagants.

Go to the big box store and get a decent brand within your budget. Here's a video that has cool info to look at, but clearly the guy is selling safes, and not every feature can fit into a budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:58 pm 

I will addendum to my previous post:
JayceSlayn wrote:
You should absolutely check out Sturdy Safe. American made, thick steel is their business. Check out their videos too. Informative and they'll definitely give you a new perspective on RSCs.

I also agree with others saying that making sure whatever's in the safe is a low-profile target is priority 1. If the safe is small, maybe try to disguise it - at least don't have it as the first thing you see inside the front door.

When some smash-n-grabber goes rifling through your house, their interest might initially be piqued if they see something with a big lock on it, but if it doesn't look haul-able or open-able within a few minutes, the trend seems to show that most will just leave it alone. I wouldn't put it past them to come back later with some back-up, but for pass #1, it'll probably be safe.

And of course, if someone is reasonably competent and knows you're not going to be home or a few days (and thinks whatever's inside is worth the effort), then anything short of a few tons of steel/concrete is probably not going to stop them. While it can get expensive in a hurry still, the main goal is to make the perceived outlay of effort/time/expense by the attacker outweigh the perceived value within.

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:45 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I recommend very strongly that any safe you have be placed out of sight. Put it in a closet. Put it under a table. If you do not have the room to hide it build a cabinet around it.

A safe out in the open is just begging for trouble.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:39 am 

If you're planning on moving again a take apart safe like http://www.zanottiarmor.com/safes.htm will very possibly serve you better!

If you're not going to be moving any time soon https://www.sturdysafe.com offers a lot of box for the money! They go with heavier steel and better locks instead of fancy paint and plush interiors.

They are also customizable to make them harder to get into and don't use drywall/sheet rock like most other manufacturers as the fire insulation opting for ceremic and fiberglass instead!

Oh and they also test their safes in actual burns not labs which seems better studied to me.

Anyway I second watching their videos and making an informed decision!

Either way bolt it down! Large Diameter Tapcons are perfect for that in a slab and have very impressive numbers before they fail!

SD

Si vis pacem, para bellum!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:19 pm 

STURDY SAFE is the best

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:53 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

91Eunozs wrote:
...As for me, my next big purchase (or if we move this summer, one of the first things going in to our new house before the walls are all in) is the biggest Pendleton safe I can afford: http://www.pendletonsafes.com/about/under-the-hood/

Damn that is an awesome looking feature, got to do more research on them.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:42 am 

Why don't you take that money you have for a safe and put it toward rent in a better part of town???

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:27 am 

ViennaGambit wrote:
Why don't you take that money you have for a safe and put it toward rent in a better part of town???

Nice homes get burglarized too.
A safe is a great investment no matter where you reside

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:42 am 

I have one Cannon and one winchester safe. This is a pretty nice safe. My main concern with a safe is fire protection and secondly theft protection. If I had to do it over again I would buy 2 24-30 gun safes just for the ease of bringing them into my house. Poke around, these units are plenty good for most situations. Take a look at the Winchester 10 gun it's only 200 lbs and $329 that might be a good option, you gotta remember that you may have to move this thing multiple times as you are a young fella and may move several more times, no reason to move dead space while your waiting to fill a bigger safe.

Cannon big safe
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... 40-60-safe

Winchester 10 gun
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... ronic-lock

"Nobody is totally useless you can always be a good bad example"

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Old thread that I already replied....

....But.....

I once almost build a gun safe out of an old water heater. Those things are everywhere. And who cracks one of those open if they are in a closet?? No one, it's like a hot water bomb in real life.

...Carry on....

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:11 am 

Update for those interested:

I've decided with the Liberty Colonial 30 from my local liberty dealer, with the upgrades and installation it'll be around 1900 bucks but worth it for what I'm getting.

http://www.nwsafe.com/safe-colonial-safes-ps-7.html

My roommates also pooled our money and got a monitored home security system from a reputable company, they were running a sale so we went for it.

The safe is going in my room, which is locked when Im not home (door knob, monitored window with dowel and curtains), inside my closet which is always closed and will be modified to lock. And the safe will be professionally installed/bolted down.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:48 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

:thumbs up

Nice...and congrats!

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:41 pm 

91Eunozs wrote:

Nice...and congrats!

Now I just need to save up half of it then ill pull the other half out of savings, I'm hoping ill be able to get it installed (based on their turn around times for delivery which is usually a couple weeks based on their delivery location schedule) the middle of July.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:17 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

0122358 wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:

Nice...and congrats!

Now I just need to save up half of it then ill pull the other half out of savings, I'm hoping ill be able to get it installed (based on their turn around times for delivery which is usually a couple weeks based on their delivery location schedule) the middle of July.

It'd be worth it to rent a truck and heavy duty dolly to deliver/install it yourself or with good, trusted friends/family.

No need to advertise where a nice safe full of something worth protecting is to anonymous strangers you know nothing about.

Just my $.02

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
zengunfighter wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:34 am 

Searching for genuine audits of firearm safes? Welcome, you've gone to the opportune place.

This site is committed to sharing reality about gun safes. That implies the great, the awful, and the monstrous that you won't hear most anyplace else.

In case you're in a rush, in 4 minutes you can take in the most imperative things you have to know.