Ar15 home gun smithing questions

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Post Reply
henryk-yonza
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by henryk-yonza » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:59 pm

I have a number of questions about homegunsmithing a ar15
(And others but I thought I should keep the topics separate to reduce confusion)

Part one
With the ar15 what are the parts someone should stock up on for repairs and reconditioning fit extended long term use?
What wears the most, what needs replacing most often.what is prone to failure?

Part2
Basically with only one complete ar15 and no other specific parts for the ar15
What repairs can be made to common (And uncommon) failures of average and extended use of the ar15.

(I'm not sure how to word it, but basically you have an ar15 and nothing else, if something failed or is damaged (mainspring, recoil buffer, firing pin,etc) what can be savaged from common city found items to make solid repairs)

Part 3
What tools should one aquire to have a solid but small gun smithing set. Preferably portable.
Thank you for your informed opinions

Henry (henryk) yonza
Grin the mind of hernyk yonza
you can find henry under his vehicles on a creeper.
You could even call it creepy
Working on something that he really Should pay some one else to do.

User avatar
ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 pm
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Following this thread for more information.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Part I: gas rings, extractors, barrels, magazines, and the small parts and Springs in the lower. Possibly a spare gas block.


II. Jack shit I can think of.

III: torque wrench, brass punches, Allen keys, loctite/rocksett, torque screwdriver, brass solid bore rod, wrench, and any specific tools for optics or special snowflake parts.

If you're not planning on shooting or aren't near a barrel change, most of the other parts are probably fine and you shouldn't need a gunsmithing kit.

Interested to see what others come up with.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13566
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Extended long term use? What he said and...

Barrels, 5k-20K rounds depending upon caliber, load and rapid fire usage.

Savaging/ salvaging from non-standard parts is a good way to end up with a non-functional gun.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
MacWa77ace
* * * * *
Posts: 1947
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:49 pm

henryk-yonza wrote:I have a number of questions about homegunsmithing a ar15
(And others but I thought I should keep the topics separate to reduce confusion)

Part one
With the ar15 what are the parts someone should stock up on for repairs and reconditioning fit extended long term use?
What wears the most, what needs replacing most often.what is prone to failure?
IF you want to be prepared for everything you should have a back up rifle that is the same specs as your primary and then add parts:
Bolt complete
bolt gas rings
Gas tube
Gas tube pin
AR Spring kit
Buffer tube retaining pin
BUIS
Trigger group complete
AR pin kit
cam pin
firing pin retaining pin
2 firing pins
pivot and takedown pin set
takedown pin detent spring
charging handle complete
roll pin kit

Unfortunately the one part you don't have is the one that will go first. Murph :cry: So I'd say stock everything except the upper, lower, buffertube, barrel, castlenut and barrel nut.
henryk-yonza wrote:Part2
Basically with only one complete ar15 and no other specific parts for the ar15
What repairs can be made to common (And uncommon) failures of average and extended use of the ar15.

(I'm not sure how to word it, but basically you have an ar15 and nothing else, if something failed or is damaged (mainspring, recoil buffer, firing pin,etc) what can be savaged from common city found items to make solid repairs)
Nothing. with the exception of duct tape to fix a sling or wrap a cracked stock. Use real AR parts form reputable manufacturers.
henryk-yonza wrote:Part 3
What tools should one acquire to have a solid but small gun smithing set. Preferably portable.
Thank you for your informed opinions

Henry (henryk) yonza
AR exploded parts drawing
Brass punch set
needle nose pliers
AR multi tool.
Assorted hex wrenches
Upper vise block
Lower vise block
torque wrench
Various cleaning supplies.
Ram rod
cleaning mat
Vise

But for just changing most of the parts above you should get away with a cleaning kit, the punch set and pliers.
the vises, and AR multitool are pretty necessary for changing barrel and buffer tube, which if they break :shock:
henryk-yonza wrote: What wears the most, what needs replacing most often.what is prone to failure?
firing pin [bolt]
ejector and spring [bolt]
Cam pin [bolt]
Gas rings [bolt]
IMO are arguably the ones to go first. So if you get extra bolts, a failure of one of these tiny parts can be fixed in under a minute by replacing the bolt. Then you can go back later and fix the defective bolt by changing the parts.
Last edited by MacWa77ace on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

User avatar
ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 pm
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:04 pm

What MacWa77ace said.
My wife had a broken extractor in basic training, deadlined the rifle for her, would have been an easy fix if they had just given her a new bolt.
That's all I have to add to the thread.

User avatar
majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 7046
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead
Location: Maine

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:14 pm

MacWa77ace wrote: if you get extra bolts, a failure of one of these tiny parts can be fixed in under a minute by replacing the bolt. Then you can go back later and fix the defective bolt by changing the parts.
This pretty much sums up how to approach AR repair from a tactical perspective. Carry a spare bolt with you and you're good to go for 95% of the things likely to go wrong. Leave most of the tools and spare parts at home.

User avatar
emclean
* * * * *
Posts: 1590
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:31 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by emclean » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:41 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
henryk-yonza wrote:I have a number of questions about homegunsmithing a ar15
(And others but I thought I should keep the topics separate to reduce confusion)

Part one
With the ar15 what are the parts someone should stock up on for repairs and reconditioning fit extended long term use?
What wears the most, what needs replacing most often.what is prone to failure?
IF you want to be prepared for everything you should have a back up rifle that is the same specs as your primary and then add parts:
Bolt complete
bolt gas rings
Gas tube
Gas tube pin
AR Spring kit
Buffer tube retaining pin
BUIS
Trigger group complete
AR pin kit
cam pin
firing pin retaining pin
2 firing pins
pivot and takedown pin set
takedown pin detent spring
charging handle complete
roll pin kit

Unfortunately the one part you don't have is the one that will go first. Murph :cry: So I'd say stock everything except the upper, lower, buffertube, barrel, castlenut and barrel nut.
I would add back in the buffer tube. fall on your rifle wrong, and it can snap, had a platoon leader manage to do it once.

User avatar
91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!
Location: Hill Country, Texas

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:10 am

I keep a drawer full of spare parts in my workbench...plus a couple rubbermaid boxes of larger spares, extras, parts I've swapped, etc. on a shelf in the garage.

I also carry a spare bolt and LPK replacement pins/springs and basic tools in my range bag.

My problem is that "spare" parts all too often turn into another gun... Time to give some away to family or buy a bigger safe.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

gun toting monkeyboy
* * * *
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:49 pm

He mentioned an ejector breaking, but didn't include one in his list of spare parts... ;)

I would go with the list above, and add a few ejectors, the springs that go with them, a couple of the O-rings that you can put under them, and an ejector retainer pin. The list above seems pretty long and expensive, but all you need to do is start adding a couple of pins or other small parts on to your orders when you get stuff from Midway or Brownell's. You end up with a decent collection of small parts in short order.

Having a spare bolt and firing pin is normally the fastest way to repair things that break. I believe Magpul still makes an insert for their pistil grips that holds both the grip itself for emergencies. I have those in my 7.62x39 AR simply because the 7.62x39 AR bolts are known to break. Or they are known to break when they aren't the AR15 Performance heavy duty ones...

Generally, I have an AR small parts kit, a spare bolt and an extra firing pin in the rifle bag for a bug-out rifle. One of the other things that is sometimes overlooked are spare magazines. I know that some people don't think about that, but a bad mag can play havoc with your rifle functioning. Having a couple of extras never hurts.

One other thing that you might think about is having an extra complete upper around. I know that those tend to attract new lower receivers over time. But having something that you can just drop on to your lower and keep going isn't always a bad thing. Besides, if you play the Black Friday and other sales right, you can get a basic complete one for under $300.

-Mb

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by Halfapint » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:10 pm

One tool I would add that I haven't seen is a castle nut wrench. I know people said AR tool but that one specifically is one that I bought. added bonus of that wrench is if you have a kegerator you can use it to remove the tap handle and clean your kegerator lines.....
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

JF89
* *
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Re: Ar15 home gun smithing questions

Post by JF89 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:13 pm

henryk-yonza wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:59 pm
I have a number of questions about homegunsmithing a ar15
(And others but I thought I should keep the topics separate to reduce confusion)

Part one
With the ar15 what are the parts someone should stock up on for repairs and reconditioning fit extended long term use?
What wears the most, what needs replacing most often.what is prone to failure?

Part2
Basically with only one complete ar15 and no other specific parts for the ar15
What repairs can be made to common (And uncommon) failures of average and extended use of the ar15.

(I'm not sure how to word it, but basically you have an ar15 and nothing else, if something failed or is damaged (mainspring, recoil buffer, firing pin,etc) what can be savaged from common city found items to make solid repairs)

Part 3
What tools should one aquire to have a solid but small gun smithing set. Preferably portable.
Thank you for your informed opinions

Henry (henryk) yonza
Im interested in ideas on improvised repairs too but theres not much out there. This article was based on a post off arf.com, interesting read but I havnt read the whole thread yet.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... red-ar-15/

Post Reply

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”