Favorite type of recreational shooting?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

quazi

Favorite type of recreational shooting?

Post by quazi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:20 am

I was curious what everyone's favorite type of recreational shooting is.

I thought about making a poll, but even reduced to categories there are a lot of options.

Personally, my favorite is just plinking cans, especially with .22 lr handguns.

Stercutus

Re: Favorite type of recreational shooting?

Post by Stercutus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:31 am

So far plinking goes.... toys.

Army men, cowboys, Indians, plastic cars you name it.

A big bag for less than $10 at the dollar store last months.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:05 am

Stercutus wrote:So far plinking goes.... toys.

Army men, cowboys, Indians, plastic cars you name it.

A big bag for less than $10 at the dollar store last months.
I used to LOVE shooting the happy meal toys that my boys left on the floor (for me to step on). it was the perfect revenge.
I still giggle thinking about hitting Blue (from Blues Clues) a 30-30. the ears when opposite ways, part of the head went straight up, and there I am on the firing line of McKellar lodge rod and gun club laughing like a loon, the other few guys on the line looking at me funny.

so I agree with toys as great targets.

but my favorite type ends up being where you are at the range with a bunch of friends and spend more time shooting the shit, that shooting rounds.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:29 pm

Roving at the Marks is absolutely fantastic, though hard enough to do with a bow, with a rifle, I imagine it'd be near impossible.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:51 pm

Ad'lan wrote:Roving at the Marks is absolutely fantastic, though hard enough to do with a bow, with a rifle, I imagine it'd be near impossible.
I'd never heard of that before. Sounds really fun. Is it true that golf is directly descended from Roving at the Marks? It makes sense, but it could also be apocryphal.

With rifles it would be hard to do safely, but under certain circumstances it could be done (the moving from place to place, shooting at unknown ranges part of it that is.) There are certain competitions where they do that, but my understanding is that usually people do it one at a time rather than moving around as a big group, so that would take a bit of the social fun out of it.

I only did a quick read on one webpage about Roving at the Marks, so I might not have an accurate understanding of what it is.

minengr

Post by minengr » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:24 am

Several years ago I had some spinners made from scrap metal lying around at work. They've been permanent residents at my buddies range ever since. I've also found golf balls make fun targets.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

doc savage
Favorite Zombie Movies: no favorite yet.
does resident evil count? :)

Post by doc savage » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:26 am

steel swingers

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:25 am

The kind where I don't have to pay attention to how much ammo I am shooting. :)
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:18 pm

I shoot competitive bullseye pistol on a weekly basis, alternating between ISSF and NRA regulations.
Rifle is mostly for plinking, though I should be purchasing something soon for long range precision.
3 gun might be in my semi distant future.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:04 pm

I used to shoot sporting clays and enjoyed it immensely. Every Saturday we would run through both courses of 25 clays, twice, so 100 targets in total.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:51 pm

I shoot on my farm or in the swamps nearby. So I prefer objects that are organic and deteriorate without the need for me to pick them up.

So:

Over ripe vegetables from the garden. Hit them with a .357 and the chickens will love the resulting mess. Be careful of your backstop if you shoot them in the garden.

Political yard signs are great. They have their own stands. They are robust and you can staple paper targets to them. You can even have them delivered for free to your house at election time. :rofl:

Pine cones are great targets that fly when you hit them with almost anything. They are plentiful in my area.

Worn out water hose is a great target for practicing shooting snakes. Cut it in 5 ft lengths and place them along the path in different areas to the shooting area for a "pop" quiz.

1/4 inch diamond plate steel scraps are also great targets when hung by rope from bracket.

My favorite is simple plinking with cheap ammo and a few friends. I prefer closer ranges with a pistol with no set sequence and variable distances lately with a 9mm.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:22 pm

NamelessStain wrote:I used to shoot sporting clays and enjoyed it immensely. Every Saturday we would run through both courses of 25 clays, twice, so 100 targets in total.
Back in high school my family used to shoot clay pigeons about every other weekend. We were just using those plastic hand throwers, we didn't do anything formal. IIRC back then a box of 90 clay pigeons was $4 and a bulk pack of 100 trap loads was about $10. Good times for not much money.

Does any company make a somewhat decent semi-auto .177 pellet rifle that can run off of 12 gram CO2 cartridges and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? The Gamo 1077 looks fun and is only $70, but a lot of the reviews make it sound like it doesn't last long before something breaks. I'd like something to fill the cheap plinking itch since the .22 LR situation still sucks.

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:31 pm

I do like taking my daughter to the range and just shooting a few hundred rounds of ammo at a bulls eye target at 50 yards. She shoots my Ruger 10/22 and I usually shoot my AK.

I also enjoy shooting IDPA matches. It's a bit more of an adrenalin rush between the time factor and the fact that your "competing" against someone else. Almost everyone I have met at matches is friendly and fun to shoot the BS with after we are done shooting the guns.

My club has a weekly practice night and it's fun to sit around for half an hour afterwards and talk guns, hunting, politics, or whatever. I suspect that if the practices were held on weekends we might end up talking late into the night, but being as it's a week night we usually call it quits by 9 PM.

As far as targets I would like to get one of those ground bouncer plastic targets that rolls around as you hit it. Seems like it would be quite fun.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:32 pm

I like clay pidgeons with a pistol (not airborne of course). It's more exciting than paper punching but isn't a waste of ammo like spraying random targets.

I'm also a fan of shooting cans at 100 with non-scoped rifles as fast as I can offhand. Not hard, but makes you concentrate and is very satisfying.

Green army men sounds like such a good idea!!!! Just like in "Home Alone" movie
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

phydaux

Post by phydaux » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm looking at getting into skeet/trap/sporting clays.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:24 pm

Ad'lan wrote:Roving at the Marks is absolutely fantastic, though hard enough to do with a bow, with a rifle, I imagine it'd be near impossible.
Wax bullets?
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... x-bullets/

I like to hang anything unusual (plastic soda and sports drink bottles, ping pong balls, abandoned piñatas, etc.) in front of the target and fling away.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Couple of favorites because I can't pick one :rofl:

Shooting cheap off brand soda cans because it makes me laugh, this is pretty rare though because it would be expensive for me really quickly, not to mention having to go pick them up afterwards.
Run and guns, just something I've always liked.
Teaching new shooters, there's that moment where the fear or anxiety is going away and the smile spreads across their face :clap:

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:18 pm

Steel plates for fun plinking, woods run and gun for getting my mall ninja on (buddy has a set up in a valley so you have a 270 degree safe vector of fire), and open class rimfire for actual competitive recreational fun. As soon as I get another AR completed I'm going to pick up a pistol and look at getting into 3-gun.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:25 pm

I've been getting more and more into trying to shoot tiny groups with centerfire rifles.

I still enjoy plinking, but it's nice to have clearer goals and be better able to track my progress rather than just making cans dance.

majorrath

Post by majorrath » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:45 pm

When can find cheap at Dollar store, BigLots, etc... cases of shaving cream and/or silly string! Upside - instant response to direct hit.. downside - cleanup kinda sucks

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:04 pm

quazi wrote:I've been getting more and more into trying to shoot tiny groups with centerfire rifles.

I still enjoy plinking, but it's nice to have clearer goals and be better able to track my progress rather than just making cans dance.
I bounce back and fourth between traditional and freakurve (sighted recurve) archery for the same reason. Traditional archery, especially the historic tackle, is way more fun, but after some time behind a sight, I'm a much better shot.

If you want to track your progress there are plenty of apps that you can use for that. I'm partial to the MyTargets archery app by Florian Dreier (Google play store) since I can track multiple rounds and equipment setups. A quick check found plenty of similar apps for ISSF shooting.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks, I'll have to check the MyTargets archery app and the ISSF app out. Right now I'm just using a Google spreadsheet.

Traditional archery is something that I think would be fun to get into, but I'm not sure. I've got a problem with my left elbow that keeps me from fully extending my left arm (it doesn't hurt, it just locks at about 80% extension). It seems like that would be a real handicap when it comes to archery, but I don't really know. Do you think it would?

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:18 pm

quazi wrote:Thanks, I'll have to check the MyTargets archery app and the ISSF app out. Right now I'm just using a Google spreadsheet.

Traditional archery is something that I think would be fun to get into, but I'm not sure. I've got a problem with my left elbow that keeps me from fully extending my left arm (it doesn't hurt, it just locks at about 80% extension). It seems like that would be a real handicap when it comes to archery, but I don't really know. Do you think it would?
80% extension might be a problem since you won't be able to get your bow arm into a really efficient position. There's a couple ways around this. The first is to shoot with a bent arm. Howard Hill, who is arguably one the best longbow shooters ever, shot with a bent arm due to his inability to find good quality tackle that could fit his over 6 foot frame (and his bows have severe handshock). The second is to shoot left handed and wear a translucent (frosted) eyepatch over your right eye.

My advice is to seek out a range and instructor to get some personal instruction to find out what works best for you.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:31 pm

I like the idea of learning to shoot left-handed, just so I have a reason to wear a badass eye patch. :lol:

I'll have to see if there are any instructors nearby.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”