Attaching a Pistol to a Pistol

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Stercutus

Attaching a Pistol to a Pistol

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:43 pm

If you attach a pistol to a pistol does it become an NFA item? I know attaching a pistol to a rifle should make it an NFA item.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

quazi

Re: Attaching a Pistol to a Pistol

Post by quazi » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:14 am

Not sure if the Arsenal AF2011-A1 is relevant to this conversation.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:33 am

If you're not adding a stock, it would seem more in danger of becoming an AoW if the second pistol acts as a VFG.

Ask ATF?
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:34 am

"Is my gun not scary? It was very difficult to make." The Green Hornet
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:46 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:If you're not adding a stock, it would seem more in danger of becoming an AoW if the second pistol acts as a VFG.

Ask ATF?
That is what I was thinking.

I saw this abortion at the gun shop:

Gunshop guy said it slapping it on an AR pistol would not make it an AOW but I disagreed. It is an academic question only, there is no danger of me actually buying that POS.
You go over and under
I go through

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:32 am

Stercutus wrote:
Gunshop guy said it slapping it on an AR pistol would not make it an AOW but I disagreed. It is an academic question only, there is no danger of me actually buying that POS.
Was Gunshop guy talking about something along these lines, but on an AR pistol?

ATF legality is just one of many questions that immediately spring to mind, like:

"Why?"

"Have you no shame?"

"Where is your man card?"

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:24 pm

We agreed that putting it on a rifle would make it an NFA item. It would be an SBR. That got me to wondering about putting it on an AR pistol. Figured ZS was just the place for someone to have been dorky enough to have tried and yet found and followed the law precisely in that regard.

I did read some of the promotional material:

"There are a wide variety of missions upon which the employment of the Zip 22 can create success." I lol'ed. Couldn't think of any but it was funny.
You go over and under
I go through

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Went into a well established pawn shop not long ago, and they had one of those Zip guns attached to a cheap AR. Counter Guy and the owner refused to believe me that it was an unregistered SBR because you can buy the mount online....
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:39 am

mounting a pistol to a pistol would give you a forward vertical grip, thereby making it an AOW.
the "main" pistol would cease to be legally a pistol cause it would no longer be "A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand"
per 27 CFR 479.11

something similar I can across on the web about adding a vertical grip to an AR pistol.
http://johnpierceesq.com/?p=602

I think you're making some assumptions on how the two pistols are attached. I can think of a couple ways that you could do it without making a forward grip.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:24 am

It would only be a forward grip if you mounted another pistol to the rail of the first pistol.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:23 am

crypto wrote:It would only be a forward grip if you mounted another pistol to the rail of the first pistol.
true, but still the second grip with a trigger would arguably make it no longer designed for use with a single hand, which is the definition of a pistol.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:35 am

Assault Life wrote:Went into a well established pawn shop not long ago, and they had one of those Zip guns attached to a cheap AR. Counter Guy and the owner refused to believe me that it was an unregistered SBR because you can buy the mount online....
I went to a local pawn shop, they already don't know a bolt carrier group from their own asshole, and saw an AR pistol with 7.5" bbl and a vert grip on it. I explained to the owner he had an unregistered AOW in his case, his response was he's "cool" with the ATF so it's no biggie really. I left and have never gone back. Apparently the owner was an Army sniper...riiiight...

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:57 pm

Assault Life wrote:Went into a well established pawn shop not long ago, and they had one of those Zip guns attached to a cheap AR. Counter Guy and the owner refused to believe me that it was an unregistered SBR because you can buy the mount online....
Call the ATF on them...but safeguard their dogs first
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:45 am

0122358 wrote:
I would not do that, the BATFE doesn't need another cockamamie excuse to justify their budget.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:34 pm

URBAN ASSAULT wrote:
0122358 wrote:
I would not do that, the BATFE doesn't need another cockamamie excuse to justify their budget.

-urban
I should have made that blue text
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:39 pm

0122358 wrote:
URBAN ASSAULT wrote:
0122358 wrote:

-urban
I should have made that blue text

You can add a "~" to the end of a sentence to denote sarcasm. And guys, adding a forward grip to a pistol is only a problem if the overall length of the pistol is under 26". If you have, say, an AR pistol, with a 10.5" barrel, that can easily be over 26" in length. At which point the ATF simply classifies it as an "other firearm", and you can do what you want with it. Although putting one of those zipgun monstrosities on the front would be questionable. Not so much from a legal standpoint as from a "WTF are you thinking?" standpoint.

-Mb

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:43 pm

You can add a "~" to the end of a sentence to denote sarcasm. And guys, adding a forward grip to a pistol is only a problem if the overall length of the pistol is under 26". If you have, say, an AR pistol, with a 10.5" barrel, that can easily be over 26" in length. At which point the ATF simply classifies it as an "other firearm", and you can do what you want with it. Although putting one of those zipgun monstrosities on the front would be questionable. Not so much from a legal standpoint as from a "WTF are you thinking?" standpoint.
I see the effect on the AR what does it do to the .22 pistol that is attached? Does it become an SBR? You have now attached what is essentially a big ass stock to it.
You go over and under
I go through

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Stercutus wrote:
I see the effect on the AR what does it do to the .22 pistol that is attached? Does it become an SBR? You have now attached what is essentially a big ass stock to it.
If the Ar PISTOL has no stock, how would the attached pistol have a stock? I imagine the zip would not count as a vfg, in the same way that mag wells do not. It is not designed as for grip, and the second gun could still be fired one handed. You may also be able to make the afg argument for it as well.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:34 pm

now, just for the sake of discussion..

adding a 22 zip to the bottom rail of a RIFLE ar15, = a SBR

what if the AR15 is registered as a SBR already?

wouldn't you have to register the zip, not the AR as a SBR?
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:15 am

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”