When TV shows and movies get it wrong

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Re: When TV shows and movies get it wrong

Post by Langenator » Tue May 26, 2015 12:30 pm

Neptune Glory wrote:I think my favorite was the original Robocop movie. It featured a Barret .50 caliber that could shoot giant balls of light and destroy cars, and even take the entire upper half off of a giant sized, armored robot.
To be fair, they were calling it a "Cobra Assault Cannon," not a Barret M82.

Kind of like in Demolition Man, when Wesley Snipes was running around with a HK G11, I mean, "Magnetic Accelerator Gun".

Or Imperial Stormtroopers with MG34s and Sterling SMGs.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 26, 2015 12:36 pm

There's a scene in "Boondock Saints 2" (great movie, by the way.) where the female FBI agent (I forget the actresses name) cocks the hammer of her clearly hammerless 1911. Which was a compact Para Ordnance LDA, I think.

She pulls the gun, makes the motion of thumbing back the non-existent hammer, and you hear the sound.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue May 26, 2015 12:42 pm

Worse than that, I've seen multiple instances of actors thumbing the hammer (or the sound coming from off screen) on Glocks.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 26, 2015 1:00 pm

Langenator wrote:Worse than that, I've seen multiple instances of actors thumbing the hammer (or the sound coming from off screen) on Glocks.
Yeah, I've seen that too.

I can't name the movies for the life of me, but they're out there.

Another one I hate is the "Guy gets shot with random gun and gets sent flying back ten feet" style of physics most Hollywood movies have. A good example of bad gun physics is Bruce Willis' "Last Man Standing" film from the 90's.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Tue May 26, 2015 1:12 pm

My particular gripe of late is the gun hold/shooting style of Detective Danny Reagan (Donnie Wahlberg) in Blue Bloods - he almost always has his right (weakside - character is a leftie) shoulder forward, with his elbows tucked in tight and the pistol up close to his face.

That, and somehow in the NYPD he's allowed to run around with what appears to be a Kahr. Everyone else has Glocks, but he's got a Kahr.

Unfortunately, i can't find any good pics of his shooting pose.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 26, 2015 1:24 pm

I just watched a couple clips of his shooting and it does look a bit weird.

I wonder what the deal with that is. Could they not find anyone to teach them how to properly hold a gun or shoot ?

Chirpy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dead Snow

Post by Chirpy » Tue May 26, 2015 1:35 pm

Langenator wrote:My particular gripe of late is the gun hold/shooting style of Detective Danny Reagan (Donnie Wahlberg) in Blue Bloods - he almost always has his right (weakside - character is a leftie) shoulder forward, with his elbows tucked in tight and the pistol up close to his face.

That, and somehow in the NYPD he's allowed to run around with what appears to be a Kahr. Everyone else has Glocks, but he's got a Kahr.

Not great, but...

"And I prep not because I'm scared of someone coming to take from me, but rather because I fear not being able to render help to those who have helped me. "

phractal - 4/2/13

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Chirpy wrote:
Langenator wrote:My particular gripe of late is the gun hold/shooting style of Detective Danny Reagan (Donnie Wahlberg) in Blue Bloods - he almost always has his right (weakside - character is a leftie) shoulder forward, with his elbows tucked in tight and the pistol up close to his face.

Not great, but...

That is a Kahr. Not sure what model, but it's a Kahr alright.

Did the prop department run out of Glocks for the show or why did they give Donnie Wahlberg a Kahr ?

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Tue May 26, 2015 2:57 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Chirpy wrote:

Not great, but...

That is a Kahr. Not sure what model, but it's a Kahr alright.

Did the prop department run out of Glocks for the show or why did they give Donnie Wahlberg a Kahr ?
What's even weirder about his shooting stance is that the character was a Marine (Fallujah vet) before he was a cop. And I know the Corps doesn't teach people to shoot like that.

I'm guessing that Donnie Wahlberg feels about orthodox shooting stances the way his wife feels about vaccines. :lol:

No clue. It's not a story/character element, like he's undercover and needs something that isn't a "cop gun." It's never explained, although it is consistent through all four seasons of the show that are on Netflix. So there's that.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Burnt Toast

Post by Burnt Toast » Wed May 27, 2015 12:00 am

In any/all given movie and tv shows, the shooter purse their lips

Are you shitting rocks or shooting? And where are the ejecting shells?

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:40 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:

I could go on. But the worst was in Longmire when a bad guy's shotgun made a pumping noise off screen, only to pan over and show a double barrel shotty.
Don't forget Longmire, a Sheriff in Wyoming, asking a lady(on her property) if she "had a permit for that pistol".

The series is obviously written by people who don't know diddly about firearms. I find this ironic, because I think the TV series attracts a demographic that is more familiar with firearms. Also Katee Sackhoff is a gun person.

The books are far better, the .45-70 was determined to be an antique because of blackpowder residue(in the TV series some random hunter says it's ".45-70, antique round"), no references to ownership permits other than with NFA items, Walt is irritated when someone sells a shotgun to a escaped prisoner without conducting a background check but doesn't arrest the seller, etc. The author obviously knows guns...or is smart enough to ask his neighbors in Wyoming if he has a question.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:35 pm

One I haven't seen mentioned and a pet peeve of mine is the one that screams "I have never fired a live gun in my life" and a complete a total lack of awareness of any level of recoil above that which is found in a blank firing pistol, holding it as far down on the grip as it is possible to get and a huge gap seen between the top of the hand and the top of the back-strap/beavertail...................
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

I'll just leave this here...

That's avatar material right there folks... :awesome:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:38 pm

91Eunozs wrote:I'll just leave this here...

Aside from the lack of trigger discipline and the upside down front sight, that looks like it'd be a pretty good author photo for a gun book from the 1980s :lol:

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:42 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:I'll just leave this here...

Aside from the lack of trigger discipline and the upside down front sight, that looks like it'd be a pretty good author photo for a gun book from the 1980s :lol:
The gun looks like a 'rubber duck.'
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:02 pm

On "The Simpsons", you hear Moe racking a pump shotgun, then they show him with a double barrel coach gun.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:06 pm

Langenator wrote: The gun looks like a 'rubber duck.'
Agreed. It's a bit grainy, but the mag release appears to be horizontal, indicating a rubber duck. Was thinking it might be Airsoft, but those are usually correct, iirc.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:55 pm

eeb wrote:On "The Simpsons", you hear Moe racking a pump shotgun, then they show him with a double barrel coach gun.
To be fair, it is a cartoon. The only ones I've seen get guns right are a few Japanese cartoons (Gunsmith Cats and a few others).

Speaking of double barrel pump shotguns, I wonder how long it'll be before we see those DP-12 guns Cheaper than Dirt has for sale in some movies ?

desert fox

Post by desert fox » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:31 am

One of my favorites is glocks getting their hammers cocked....
One mans trash, is another mans come up.

http://www.zazzle.com/gunowner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/AndIAmAGunOwner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mormon.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:27 am

Walking dead and knives through skulls. It seems to be getting easier and easier. I assume soon they won't even bother with knife and just stab them to death with their finger.

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:30 am

eeb wrote:On "The Simpsons", you hear Moe racking a pump shotgun, then they show him with a double barrel coach gun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trW4xcrihWU

phydaux

Post by phydaux » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:18 am

Not TV, but I had an author I used to follow, Laurel Hammilton. The main character in the series was Annita Hill, basically a PI, and made a big point about how she was just a little slip of a girl, and couldn't arm wrestle the bad guys, so she had to be constantly on her guard and be ready to shoot first at the slightest provocation.

Annita carried a Browning Hi Power as her primary weapon and a .38 Special Derringer as her back-up weapon.

The author was constantly having the main character get into guns out confrontations with bad guys, and when she wanted to show them that by God she meant business Annita would thumb the hammer back on her Browning Hi Power. But the Hi Power is a single action semiautomatic. It the hammer isn't ALREADY back on a loaded chamber, then the gun is USELESS.

Another time Annita pulled her Derringer on a bad guy, then went on this long diatribe about how her Derringer was a .38 Special, and that meant she might have loaded .22 bullets that morning or she might have loaded .44 bullets that morning, or she might have even loaded Magnum bullets that morning, and did he really want to take a chance on how big of a hole she was going to make?

Obviously someone had tried to explain to the author how Derringers can come in .22 LR, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, and .44 Special, and how you can buy any calibur Derringers you want, and if you have a .357 Magnum then you can load .357 Magnum bullets OR .38 Special bullets, and it all just kinda gelled together in her mind that a Derringers was some kind of magic gun that you could fire any bullets you want out of it.

Eventually little mistakes like that soured me on the series.

phydaux

Post by phydaux » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:20 am

drop bear wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trW4xcrihWU

I actually think Moe's pump action double barrel is intentional sillyness.

phydaux

Post by phydaux » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:25 am

Since we're busting up on The Walking Dead, first five minutes of Season 1, Episode 1 - The cops are at a baracade, and Rick tells the new guy that his gun, CLEARLY a Glock 17, won't be of much use with the safety on. The rookie nods and then mimes flicking off the external safety of a handgun that has no external safety.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”