Firearm Categories

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

clarence

Firearm Categories

Post by clarence » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Prompted by the Next Firearm Purchase..... Need Help thread.

What firearm categories do you recognize?

I've the following:

1. pistol (9mm Beretta PX4 SC)
2. semi-auto carbine (9mm Beretta CX4, Aimpoint H1)

3. bolt-action rifle (.223 Tikka T3 Compact, SWFA SS HD 3-9X42)
4. shotgun (20 gauge Benelli Nova Compact)

5. back-up pistol (.380 Beretta Pico)

What am I missing to complete collection (needing nothing)?

6. A big bore (Benelli R1)?

7. A .22 (Beretta Neos)?

8. A safe queen (Sako Bavarian Carbine)?

(Edited to add [and correct] red dot/scope info.)
Last edited by clarence on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's not looting if you leave a note.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Firearm Categories

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:47 pm

If you need me to tell you what you need, you don't need it. Figure what you need first, or more likely what you want, and then look for the best fit.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

mantis

Post by mantis » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:12 pm

I guess two questions.....

1) Based on that list, are you looking for something practical or just for the latest Beretta "tacticool" looking firearm you can find?

2) What purpose do you want it to serve?

A Benelli R1 is a nice hunting rifle but it will have limited defence capabilities with it's 5 rd mag. A safe Queen is of no use as a piece of survival gear and a third pistol isn't going to be much use. If you want a .22 pistol, grab a Ruger .22 pistol and dump the .380.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

clarence

Post by clarence » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Need nothing, Doc.
clarence wrote:What am I missing to complete collection (needing nothing)?
But if you can convince me I'm missing a category from the collection, I might want it.

And not looking for anything practical, mantis, just curious:
clarence wrote:What firearm categories do you recognize?
Purpose simply serving to fill the category.

Most here have firearms beyond a pistol (Glock) and semi-auto carbine (AR/AK).

All serve some purpose, practical (hunting, defense) or not (sport, shiny).

Just curious how built collection. Covering game categories (varmint, deer, bear, elephant), defensive distances (CQB, DMR, SPR), collector categories (historical, pretty, etc.)?

Or covering multiple categories? The Benelli R1, for example (which does offer a 10-round magazine), could satisfy the big game hunting category, the anti-material defensive category, big bore caliber category, etc.

What firearms did you want after the pistol and carbine, Doc?

What purpose did your firearms after the pistol and carbine serve, mantis?

Do your collections make sense?

eeb

Post by eeb » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:26 pm

What categories do I recognize? Hmm....

a.22rimfire rifle and pistol
b.carry/duty pistol(9, 40,45 etc.)
c.medium caliber rifle/carbine (AR/AK...)
d.large caliber semi-auto
e.bolt action rifle (small, medium & large)
f.slide action/lever action rifle
g.shotgun (pump, semi-auto, coachgun, or, God forbid, bolt action)
h.novelty (Deagle, S&W X-frame, etc.)
i.other

Not a complete list, not everything is required, and I don't own one of everything listed.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:01 pm

My collections make no sense at all. Desert Eagles, big magnums, moose rifles, all manner of shotguns. I don't really think of most of them as survival tools, they're toys. Lots of them just wander up to me and scream 'I'm too good a deal to pass up.'

If you're itching to buy a new gun, figure what you want to do first. If you're not, just practice with what you have and focus your money elsewhere.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:17 pm

Here's my list:

Ones I like & have.
Ones I like & want.
Ones I like.
Ones I'm not interested in.
Ones I make fun of people for owning.
Anything else not covered by the above.

Seriously, its 100% personal preference.
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

mantis

Post by mantis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:56 am

I don't have firearms categories. I have needs and I own firearms to fill those needs. I own various firearms that fill roles from hunting to varmint control to self-defence. I even own some that are just fun guns or novelty items.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:58 am

I have 2 categories, social and range toy.
3AT, rossi 877, Styre M9 are social

the calico, 410 AR, MKA 1919, 308 enfield, the saigas are range toys.

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:49 am

I think I might understand where Clarence is going. So based on what I think you're asking, I break my collection into the following categories:

Self-defense (working guns) - semi-auto pistols (service-size and compacts), compact revolvers (snubbies), semi-auto rifles (AR15s), and short-ish shotguns (18" Remington 870s and Benelli M1-Super 90s)

Hunting and pest control (working guns) - AR15s, AR10s, bolt action rifles, .44 Magnum revolvers, Glock 17 for a beater kit gun to finish downed game and make noise

Competition (USPSA and 3-Gun) - custom 1911s in .45 ACP and .38 Super, 9mm & .40 STI and SV pistols, Benelli M2 and Vinci, AR15 builds

Historic collectible shooters - Revolvers (1900-1980s), 1911s and Browning Hi-Powers, Winchester lever actions, military bolt action rifles, double-barrel shotguns, single shot rifles and shotguns

Sport hunting - Bolt action and semi-auto rifles, big-bore revolvers, various types of shotguns

Restricted (Class III) fun stuff - suppressors, short-barrel rifles, machineguns

I can't think of anything I own that doesn't fit into one of those categories. Some fit multiple categories, or at least have been pressed into service there on occasion. And obviously, the first two categories are the only ones I have an actual "need" for. The rest are for enjoyment and "quality of life" satisfaction.

clarence

Post by clarence » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks, everyone. Not meaning to try anyone's patience.

Let me try again.

All my firearms fall into the defensive category.

So I'm really asking two questions.

First, anything within that category I need?

Example responses:

1. You need an AR or two. A SBR AR is more capable than your CX-4 and a DMR/SPR AR is more capable than your T3.

2. You need a big bore. Neither your CX-4 or T3 can turn cover into concealment.

Second, is there another category I should want?

Examples:

1. You want a big bore. Shooting them is fun.

2. You want a big bore. Hunting is fun.

3. You want a .22. Plinking is fun.

4. You want a safe queen. Admiring them is fun.

5. You want an AR. Building them is fun.

6. You want a competition gun. Competition is fun.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:26 am

I dunno... I think this would be created by each individual shooter.

In my case:

Self Defense EDC / Home Defense: pistol and backup pistol, both in 9mm (and non lethal EDC stuffs)

Hiking Self Defense: the above plus a .44 magnum revolver (and a can of bear spray)

Teaching my kids: .22 bolt action rifle... perhaps eventually a 9mm carbine (but not anytime soon)

Shotgun: I own one just in case (get invited hunting, weird social breakdown / looting, etc)

Rifle: One rifle (besides the .22) that can drop anything that the .22 won't. I've decided on 7.62 x 51 mm NATO.

That's me,
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:59 pm

Thanks, everyone. Not meaning to try anyone's patience.
Let me try again.
All my firearms fall into the defensive category.
So I'm really asking two questions.
First, anything within that category I need?
it comes down to three tings.
skill - your personal ability to put the rounds on target (a .22 in the threat will beet a .50 in the wall)
range - how far away are the targets most likely to be. not could possibly, but likely.
target - what are you expecting to receive a threat of grievous bodily harm from?

so if you can hit what you are aiming for, with in the likely ranges, and the round is going to stop in the threat, then yes you have what you need.

time to start collecting for fun.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:54 pm

How about a semi auto carbine/rifle that isn't a pistol caliber?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

clarence

Post by clarence » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:42 am

Yeah, that's a good one.

An SPR, especially in .308, would be nicely complementary.

Would wait to see how Beretta's ARX-200 is reviewed (unless found an R1 in .308 first).

Have thought about the Uberti 1873 rifle and revolver pair too. Seems only right if I end up in Texas.

ShooterMike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead - Zack Snyder version
The Professionals
The Wild Bunch
Sinners & Saints

Post by ShooterMike » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:28 am

Given that you already have a bolt action rifle in .223, I'd say the only substantial hole I see is a 5.56mm fighting rifle. Likely a 16" barrel AR would fill the bill best for me if I were in your situation. I say that because it's likely the most common rifle of that type in your AO and thus would be the easiest to feed and care for.

If you end up moving to Texas, the AR15 is like "The State Rifle of Texas." Very common hereabouts.

arentol

Post by arentol » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:47 am

You don't want my full list of categories. It would be really long.

For instance, this is what I came up with in a couple minutes for handguns. Longguns would be at least twice as long, and by the time I finished that list I would likely have more things to add to this list.

1.) Handguns
..A) Revolver
....a) Defense
....b) Hunting
....c) Backup
....d) Competition
....e) Historical/Classic/Cowboy
....f) Shotgun
....g) Exotic
..B) Semi-Auto Pistol
....a) Defense
....b) Hunting
....c) Backup
....d) Speed Competition
....e) Accuracy Competition
....f) Exotic
..C) Automatic Pistol
..D) Derringer
....a) Defense
....b) Backup
....c) Exotic

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:46 am

Not that this is particularly relevant to the discussion, but I'm curious if I'm the only person in this position. I've gotten to the point where I am ridding myself of firearms and accessories for which I have no specific intended use - and "random backup" is not a valid use for me anymore. I then fit my budget into the equation, seizing discounts and good prices when possible.

To tie this into the discussion at hand, "categories" are irrelevant to me. I don't need a pistol-caliber subgun because it doesn't do anything that my current inventory of weapons doesn't also do (nor does it do it better.) I don't need a long-range precision rifle, or for that matter any form of large bore anti-materiel rifle, because it serves no valid purpose for me. I don't need two home defense shotguns. These (and others) items would be wasted money.

I don't collect weapons anymore. I use them. If it doesn't do something I need done, I'm not interested.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:59 am

LJ126 wrote:Not that this is particularly relevant to the discussion, but I'm curious if I'm the only person in this position. I've gotten to the point where I am ridding myself of firearms and accessories for which I have no specific intended use - and "random backup" is not a valid use for me anymore. I then fit my budget into the equation, seizing discounts and good prices when possible.

To tie this into the discussion at hand, "categories" are irrelevant to me. I don't need a pistol-caliber subgun because it doesn't do anything that my current inventory of weapons doesn't also do (nor does it do it better.) I don't need a long-range precision rifle, or for that matter any form of large bore anti-materiel rifle, because it serves no valid purpose for me. I don't need two home defense shotguns. These (and others) items would be wasted money.

I don't collect weapons anymore. I use them. If it doesn't do something I need done, I'm not interested.

Seems like the position I am in. Also not looking in gun shops or ads, keeps the "I want - gotta have" emotions down.

Only safe queens I want now, are family heirlooms. At least that is my current plans.
Zombies don't ski.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:19 pm

I think the OP is looking for an arbitrary list of firearm niche uses and types you often see on survival type websites to help keep gun merchants in business? We don't really do that here as you can tell by the responses. Getting shotgun to shoot upland birds for example would be pointless if you don't shoot birds.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Allow me to sing you the song of my people.

First, I was 18, and I decided that I should buy a gun. I bought a Mosin, because Big 5 had them on sale for $50. So I bought a Mosin because it was a gun I could afford. Then I was dumb, and instead of keeping a funky cool collectible milsurp gun, I dumped $200 in ATI bullshit onto it, in a misguided effort at making a "sniper rifle." I later sold it for $100 to a friend (telling him everything); he sold it for $200 to someone who didn't care, and...

Anyway, there's a lesson in there somewhere. A few, really. "Let each gun be what it is," I think. Or something.

From age 18-20, I bought guns for a few reason: I'd seen them (or one like them) in a movie. The Navy SEALs used or had used them, or one like them. They looked cool. Someone said they were cool. I saw them at a gun show and wanted them. Etc. So I ended up with an SKS, a couple of AKs, an AR, and an FA91. It was a real bitch to get to go shoot them, so mostly I just played with them in my room at home, occasionally getting out to go shoot.

At age 21, I bought a pistol. Sig Sauer P226 9mm. Made in West Germany. Love that gun. So now I had guns in categories: I had a bunch of "assault rifles," a bolt-action "sniper rifle" (until I sold it), a shotgun, and a pistol. And I'd dream up apocalyptic defensive scenarios where I'd use each one in that role, like some Doom badass, clicking through my different weapons with a tap of a button. I'm not saying this is what you're doing. I'm saying it's what I was doing.

At some point, my mind sort of changed, in how I thought about guns. It stopped being about "buy a gun because it's cool and I want one," and sort of settled out into a clearer matrix of categories.

I now think of guns in terms of the role they play in my life. Any gun can fill multiple of these categories, to varying degrees.

1. Sentimental guns. These are guns that were gifts, or played some special role in your life. I have the .30-30 Marlin my dad gave me, and the SKS my brother used to kill himself. They have a value to me that cannot be quantified, cannot be replicated, and is not reflected in their financial value. I enjoy shooting them as a form of connection to a human with whom I can no longer interact.

2. Carry guns. These are guns that I use in my everyday life. I have a Glock 21 that I carry when I'm working at the gun and pawn shop and at other times that don't involve drinking or a college campus.

3. Training guns. These are guns I use when I take classes. My AR is primarily a training gun, my Glock sometimes serves in this role, as does that Sig. My AKs might do this if I take a class with Suarez, and I recently bought a Remington 700 for a precision rifle class I might take this summer.

4. Competition guns. I've been shooting USPSA with my Sig, gonna change to the Glock for the power factor. Haven't actually done a competition yet, but I've been going to the training. If I do 3-gun I've got a VEPR12 to use, along with my AR.

5. Hunting guns. I don't hunt yet, and if I do it'll probably be archery, but my Remington 700 would be a legit deer rifle. The Marlin .30-30 might be good as well.

6. Home defense guns. I have lots of options in this category.

7. Learning guns. This is different than training guns. These are guns I own because I wanted experience with a given platform. I recently bought a used Taurus revolver so I could learn how revolvers work. (Switching the gun to your non-dominant hand to conduct a reload is really counterintuitive!)

8. Fun guns. Some guns are just fun to take to the range. All of my guns double as this.

9. Collectible guns. These are guns that you don't really shoot, or do, but their primary purpose is as objects in which you take pride of ownership. They may also hold value or serve as an investment.

10. Project guns. These are guns you want to do something to. I recently built an AR as a project gun.

So, those are ten basic categories of guns, which might help you pick roles in your life that future purchases could play. You may have others, e.g. Reenactment guns, or Work Guns if your job involves something like that.

All that being said, I think that a person benefits from having guns that can fill each of the following roles well, so that you can do all the stuff guns can do, if you're interested in doing so:

A. A handgun, for carry, competition, defense, and backup. The Glock 19 would be my go-to in this category, although many others will do just as well. (I don't own a Glock 19, but want one. I have a Sig 226 9mm, a Glock 21 .45, and a Taurus .357.)

B. A fighting rifle or carbine, for competition, home defense, killing zombies, and keeping the King of England out of your face. The AR-15 is the obvious choice. I own two, plus two AKs just to give the platform a fair day in court, and some others. The FN SCAR and Tavor both have advantages if you can afford them; I haven't bought them yet but they are in my future.

C. A shotgun, as another home defense option, as well as for hunting, 3 gun, and popping clays. I'd say it should be a 12-gauge. The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 or 590 are your basic, solid choices. I also got a Vepr 12 because it's badass.

D. A precision rifle, for hunting and long-range target shooting. I recently picked up a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC, so I can take a precision rifle class this summer.

One could thus identify any firearm as a combination of one letter with one or more numbers. E.g. my AR15 is a B3/4/6/8/10.

But perhaps I'm overthinking this. Or perhaps you are. Whatev. Hope this helps.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:30 pm

I only have 1 category:

Useful Guns.

I don't collect and have zero emotional attachment to guns. Not that I don't 'Like' guns, I do. But if something is more 'useful' comes along I'll dump the old gun in a minute.

Now when it comes to useful, different guns are more useful than others for different things. So are those the categories of which you speak?

I have a carry pistol, because it's easier to carry. I have a full size pistol, because it's more accurate and holds more rounds and would be more useful in a full on load-out scenario.

I have an semi-auto rifle that has far more range and power than a full size pistol. I have a 8" barrel 300BO pistol because it far more compact and transportable than a full size rifle.

I have a shotgun because it is much more useful for hunting due to the flexibility in loads and chance to hit on fast movers.

I just picked up a .25cal pellet rifle because it can quietly take game, as well as pests on the down low here in the hood.

So each has a practical use.
WWSD?

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:41 pm

I've not read the whole thread, but I think I have an slightly different take that is worth the post.

My "categories" fall based on a few criteria -

1) 2 guns of common caliber
2) common intent of use
3) different "specialties"

I think context helps makes my point a little more clear and is based on what I've actually done (not hypothetical)

Primary self defense
I have a Glock 17 and an LCR 9mm. The Glock is a tied and true semi auto with great reliability, capacity, and is something me and mine are proficient with. The LCR is my CCW answer - smaller, lighter, revolver reliable*. Both use 9mm, both fill the role of defense, but the Glock sits in the nightstand waiting for the house alarm to go off and the LCR goes on car rides.

Rifle fundamentals practice and cheap shootin
I have a mossberg 702 and a marlin 795 - both HIGH value .22 rifles. The mossberg is the "GFs" rifle and the marlin is "mine"... We share them, but the mossberg is set up to her liking and the marlin to mine. She liked scoped shooting, so I threw one on for fundamentals practice for us and my marlin got some tech sights for irons work. When we are at the range, we can go head to head any time we like. Great fun and versatility in a common caliber with practical applications.

Big gun go boom fun
I also have an FR-8 and a well functioning CETME, both in .308 - a bolt "scout rifle" and the semi-auto grandfather to the H&K G3 / FAL. These are great fun for me and mine and (sparing you the lengthy details) have a great love for Spanish firearms. I am not a hunter, nor do I think that TEOFTWAWKI marauders are going to be kicking in my door with heavy firepower... But if I felt a need for either situation, I think these rifles could do just fine.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:19 pm

Shit, I make up categories to rationalize purchases all the time....

...guns that start with "P": Ruger P90, SIG P226, FN PS90, CZ P-01
...guns that start with numbers: Glock 19, Smith 4506, Taurus 809, Beretta 92
...guns named after dates: 1911, CZ 75, Colt 1903, Springfield 1903, Anything .30-06, Winchester 1892
...guns with animal names: CZ Scorpion, Ruger Red Hawk, Taurus, Mare's Leg, Stoeger Cougar, Desert Eagle

It's like a Ballistic Sesame Street in my safe

(note: yeah, I only own like 2 of the guns mentioned)
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”