Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

procyon

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by procyon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:37 pm

Halfapint wrote:Just wanted to post an update in here. I bought that Remington 770 a few months ago because I got the rifle for free with the purchase of about 200rds of factory ammo. We'll I just want to say this POS lives up to it's really REALLY shitty reputation.

First thing that happened is the bolt lock broke. I had to be careful every time I cycled the bolt not to pull to hard or to fast or I might pull the whole thing out. That in and of itself isn't a big deal I can replace that.

But last week I went to sight in my scope to about 250-275yrds (about the extent of this gun) and I tried to pull the bolt back after a shot. Well it wouldn't move. So I tried a little harder... Nothing. So I finally ejected the mag, sat the thing on my lap and used the palm of my hand to try and cycle the bolt. It finally cycled... Except it was only the bolt handle. Yup, apparently the bolts on these gun are held on by super glue. I broke the damn bolt off.

I have yet to contact Remington but..... wtf?! Oh well.... It was cheap, I knew the risks going in, I cannot say I'm really that angry or surprised. Though I guess I just thought that people like to bitch about things for no reason. The 770 actually stands up to all the shit people say.
My FIL had one. He kept it about a month before he traded it off. Pretty much the same issues.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Dogan wrote:A .22 caliber rifle with similar characteristics as a subsonic single shot .22, but fewer restrictions on reloading? Very appealing. ...About the rimfire reloading kits, I've seen a few and they seem janky as all hell. Ground up match heads? Really?
Why don't you get a LA .357/.38?
Easy and cheap to reload. If you want a subsonic round - load up some light .38's. They don't tear up meat on small game and with .357's it is fine on deer sized critter. With a set of 'look under' scope mounts you just set the scope up for .357's and the iron's for .38 and you don't have to worry about changing the zero. Brass is generally easy and cheap to find. A pound of powder goes a LONG way for .38's. And you can cast the bullets.
Plus lever guns just look good...

Oh, and you can get a handgun that uses the same bullets if you like wheelguns.

procyon

Post by procyon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:50 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I damn near did a stupid thing last night.

I almost traded my newest shotgun for a Taurus Judge. :oops:

Thankfully, I stopped myself before it was too late and also that the guy wanting to trade found another gun instead.
I like .410's.
I will never own a Judge.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:59 pm

procyon wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I damn near did a stupid thing last night.

I almost traded my newest shotgun for a Taurus Judge. :oops:

Thankfully, I stopped myself before it was too late and also that the guy wanting to trade found another gun instead.
I like .410's.
I will never own a Judge.
First gun I ever fired was a .410.

As for the Judge, I was really glad the deal never happened because I imagine that I'd have felt some big time regret.

On the other hand, I'm considering trading off the shotgun for a .22LR pistol.

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:04 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Blue Loc-Tite ought to hold the front sight tower on a shotgun under recoil, right ?

The shotgun (Tristar Raptor ATAC) I got in trade had a really loose front sight and I couldn't find my red Loc-Tite anywhere (it's somewhere in my tool drawer, I just don't know exactly where), so I put a couple drops of blue Loc-Tite under it and it's seeming like it's holding pretty tight.

I'll know for sure when I get to the range and fire off a box of shells. If it doesn't hold, I guess it'll have to either be soldered or I'll need to find my red Loc-Tite and go from there.
I've always soldered them on. Even then they still work loose or fall out after long enough.
But I hate having to try and peen them in.
Assuming that is even possible with your gun. Not familiar with that brand.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:07 pm

procyon wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Blue Loc-Tite ought to hold the front sight tower on a shotgun under recoil, right ?

The shotgun (Tristar Raptor ATAC) I got in trade had a really loose front sight and I couldn't find my red Loc-Tite anywhere (it's somewhere in my tool drawer, I just don't know exactly where), so I put a couple drops of blue Loc-Tite under it and it's seeming like it's holding pretty tight.

I'll know for sure when I get to the range and fire off a box of shells. If it doesn't hold, I guess it'll have to either be soldered or I'll need to find my red Loc-Tite and go from there.
I've always soldered them on. Even then they still work loose or fall out after long enough.
But I hate having to try and peen them in.
Assuming that is even possible with your gun. Not familiar with that brand.
Neither am I, Procyon.

I traded a Yugo SKS for it awhile back to a local guy and I realized today that I don't really need three shotguns.

Hopefully, I can trade it off for a .22LR pistol soon. It's a decent gun, but I'm used to pump actions and actually kind of prefer those.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:46 pm

Well...

I just about zipped through two pounds of H335 in making my .223 reloads.

There were some hiccups along the way with my Dillon 650, but once I got those ironed out, it was a real pleasure.

There is a certain pattern of clicks and clacks the machine makes when it is running right.

The most important one being when a completed round falls into the loaded round bin.

It's like this scene from the Lord of War:

Ka-ching! Ka-ching! Ka-ching!

Guns are icky!

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:59 pm

I wanna Dillon progressive press so bad. I've been loading on a single stage for too long. The process is getting tiresome.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:48 pm

So did the Ruger AR-556 ever actually get released?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:40 pm

quazi wrote:So did the Ruger AR-556 ever actually get released?
I've yet to see one in person, but I have seen several online.

I know Summit Gunbroker has some in stock the last I checked.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:35 pm

Has this dope card been shared here yet?

Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:34 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
quazi wrote:So did the Ruger AR-556 ever actually get released?
I've yet to see one in person, but I have seen several online.

I know Summit Gunbroker has some in stock the last I checked.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if they had actually shipped some of them or had just sent out some review models. It looks like Summit Gunbroker is out of stock right now like everyone else. I wonder if the price will be higher when they get back in stock?

My father was asking about a relatively inexpensive AR that wasn't junk. I don't know that much about ARs, but the first one I thought of was a S&W M&P. I also have read that PSA makes a decent rifle for the price, but my dad doesn't want to bother with ordering online and I'm not sure how common it is to see PSA rifles in the stores. I also read that the Ruger AR-556 was supposed to be pretty cheap.

Any other brands I should recommend to him?

I'm also probably going to be looking to get an inexpensive AR a couple months from now, depending on finances. I don't really need one, but I want one and it seems like they're as cheap now as they're ever going to be.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:05 pm

I found the one massive downside to FrogLube. My cleaning rag smells just like the litter boxes, all minty fresh. Woke up to the table, my gym clothes, and my reuseable grocery bags smelling like ORVI fired brass and a mound of what defintiely were not bite sied snickers on the table next to it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:21 pm

I've got a bit of a dilemma here, guys.

I put my Tristar Raptor ATAC 12 gauge shotgun up for trade and a guy offered me a Charter Arms .38 snubby for it.

If I remember correctly, Charter is one of the cheaper brands so I'm not sure if it'd be a good trade or not.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:37 pm

That's a $250 gun for a $350 shotgun.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:43 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:That's a $250 gun for a $350 shotgun.
That's what I was figuring, Doc.

Thanks.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:50 pm

Anyone know a good way to mount a decent light on a Marlin Leverblatt?

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:26 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I found the one massive downside to FrogLube. My cleaning rag smells just like the litter boxes, all minty fresh. Woke up to the table, my gym clothes, and my reuseable grocery bags smelling like ORVI fired brass and a mound of what defintiely were not bite sied snickers on the table next to it.
One of my then girlfriend's cats hopped into one of my range bags and pissed in it.

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:37 am

brothaman wrote:I wanna Dillon progressive press so bad. I've been loading on a single stage for too long. The process is getting tiresome.

Thank goodness for the Brian Enos forums because of the hiccups I was experiencing trying to reload .223. The last time I reloaded .223 was probably like 3 years ago and I might have used my 550 at the time.

So on the BE forums they have a seperate reloading subforum. That is further broken down into Dillon and non-Dillon sections. And then there are sub sections for 9mm, .40, .45, and rifle reloading.

The search function works well too. So just punch my problem into the search window, and like 4 pages of results would pop up.

I really took my time making this ammo. Making sure I had the powder measure dialed in, and eyeballing the mouth of each case to make sure it was adequately charged. Since my flip top boxes only hold 50 rounds, I would only make that many, case gauging each one, putting it into a flip top box, checking for high primers, and then dumping the 50 rounds into a GI surplus ammo can.

PRO TIP: walmart sells black chalkboard tape. Cut a few pieces off stick it on said surplus ammo can. Then use chalk to write what the load was.

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Still trying to trade off my Raptor shotgun with no luck.

So far, I've only had a guy try to trade me a Charter Arms .38 special snubby and a weed eater.

The snubby was interesting, but I've got no use for a weed eater at the moment since I live in an apartment with absolute zilch for a yard. Well, that and the complex owner has folks doing the yard work anyway.

So I'm back to square one with this. I really want to trade for a .22LR pistol (wanted a Buckmark until my cousin mentioned the recoil buffer being made of cork on that gun), but I'm thinking I'll have to just sell it outright and go buy one myself.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Anyone know a good way to mount a decent light on a Marlin Leverblatt?
If you wanna drop a hunerd-fawty bone, Grizzly Customs is your huckleberry...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:29 pm

brothaman wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Anyone know a good way to mount a decent light on a Marlin Leverblatt?
If I had the scratch I'd have a full Grizz custom gun. I'd like to keep it cheap, just because I don't have an outrageous amount in the gun.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
brothaman wrote:
If I had the scratch I'd have a full Grizz custom gun. I'd like to keep it cheap, just because I don't have an outrageous amount in the gun.
What about of of those old style revolver light mounts clamp things? Clamp it to the barrel and the mag tube and D&T the side to mount a short stick of rail. Would be like the Grizzly mount?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:33 pm

brothaman wrote:
140 bucks for that ?

I get that Grizzly makes some great stuff, but I'm not seeing how that'd cost 140 bucks.

I wonder if someone with access to a lathe or something could whip up a homebrew version of that for less money ?

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”