Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dogan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Rev wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Slings, arrows, and traps would be my go-to for grid-down shit once bullets run out. I got pretty good with a wrist rocket back in the day, okay with a thong sling.
I've been looking into crossbow designs, but really if you can find the materials and have even a small community black powder should be completely doable.
Already have a compound bow, slings and traps are in my future as well, black powder while I have shot it and see both the appeal and the usefulness for both larger than raccoon or fowl, is simply not something I'm ready to get into yet.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I was assuming maximum quietude. Although modern designs are less so, a simple sling and/or bow tends to be quieter than a smokerod.
This. My complete ready for a PAW scenario arsenal would include defensive rifles (in the works), carry guns for me and my SO (have mine, working on hers), .22's for small game (done), a small cache of loaners for family who may be in my AO or have to leave theirs behind (done), pellet guns (already have .177 pistols and a .177 rifle but I feel they don't pack enough punch for me to comfortably harvest small game with) redundant slings (don't have any ATM), bows for me and my SO (I have one already), traps (none yet beyond mousetraps and knowledge).

A .22 caliber rifle with similar characteristics as a subsonic single shot .22, but fewer restrictions on reloading? Very appealing. And the .22 pellet (actual aerodynamic pellet, not merely .22 BB) kits I've seen online have quite a bit of appeal, as beyond the basic casting moulds there are also swaging assemblies available to improve consistency and tailor the shape of pellets, allowing for stepped or flared skirts and more advanced pellet design than essentially a miniature shotgun slug. A .22 pellet rifle also has appeal in that, as I live in city limits right now, I could practice with it indoors with appropriate precautions. Pellet guns in .25 and .357 both have their appeal but will require more research, and appear to be for the moment prohibitively expensive while my AR's remain unfinished (.357 pellet gun or a nice upper? No competition.). However .357 pellet guns apparently are powerful enough to harvest deer sized game including feral pigs.

About the rimfire reloading kits, I've seen a few and they seem janky as all hell. Ground up match heads? Really?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:32 pm

If you had a single-shot like an HR Survivor or a TC contender, you could get a custom barrel for slinging heavy cast .223 at subsonic speeds. Probably need a custom chamber and molds, though. I think you'd be better off using something supersonic with a can than trying to reinvent the wheel. That, or keep practicing with a regular pistol and aim for the noggin.

Logistics puzzle: safe, containing NFA funstuff, currently lives in FL. Later this year, moving out of IL and would like to bring safe, with funsies, to new place. Funsies require filing "I'm moving, dickheads" papers, which means having an address. Address weill liekly not be known with enough advance to get papers filed before moving. Following move, more school.

Any suggestions? I can mail the guns to myself, but that requires going back to FL, and the price of shipping the guns, safe, and two plane tickets might make it easier to rent a small Uhaul and drive everything back. Other alternatives include selling the safe cheap, or donating it to my brother, and just buying a new safe at new location, then mailing said funsies to myself. Shit's complex, yo.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:18 pm

I damn near did a stupid thing last night.

I almost traded my newest shotgun for a Taurus Judge. :oops:

Thankfully, I stopped myself before it was too late and also that the guy wanting to trade found another gun instead.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:46 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I damn near did a stupid thing last night.

Thankfully, I stopped myself before it was too late and also that the guy wanting to trade found another gun instead.
I have been just disappoint with mine. The only thing it shoots worth a damn are slugs or those weird disc loads. Buckshot covers a silhouette at five yards, give or take. Doesn't throw .45 colt worth a damn either. Put it on the long list of things that suck unsurprisingly.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:32 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I damn near did a stupid thing last night.

I have been just disappoint with mine. The only thing it shoots worth a damn are slugs or those weird disc loads. Buckshot covers a silhouette at five yards, give or take. Doesn't throw .45 colt worth a damn either. Put it on the long list of things that suck unsurprisingly.
Now I'm really happy the trade didn't happen.

I've got no time for crappy guns.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:47 pm

I scored another two boxes of .22LR today.

Local guy was selling some CCI .22LR rounds on a local trade board and I met him at his house to pick up the ammo. As he's handing me the first box, he says "I've got another box of this. You want it ?".

I asked how much he wanted, he told me the amount and I went back to my truck to get more money. A few minutes later and I'm driving off with two bulk boxes of premium ammo.

I must be a damn .22LR magnet or something because that's twice in the last week or so that I've scored .22LR ammo. :lol:

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:59 am

Regarding the pellet gun discussion,.. pellet rifles are finicky about what pellets they shoot well. Also, given your purpose, you'll want to stock up super deep. Also you want a good pellet. That means you'll want to shoot Crosman Premiers HPs or Domes. The large percentage of decent pellet rifles shoots these well. You have to try a couple of guns to find one that shoots those well. Some folks think that isn't a big deal, but when you want stock 20,000 pellets you'll need it to be cheap. Also, its worth to get a really nice air rifle. Triggers are notoriously shitty on cheap airguns. If you get a Benjamin, you'll likely be looking upgrade the trigger if you want Minute o' Squirrel noggin accuracy. They aren't all bad, but the good ones aren't that great. If you want the best from the concept, do a lot of research and be ready to drop about $300 on your airgun.

I think I read here on in the ZS posts regarding the price of rimfire rifles. Paraphrased "Why would you spend so little on the rifle you're like to shoot the most?".

Also, regarding the cheap sonic re-loadable 22... 2 things,.. If you have to go custom, have you thought wildcatting? 22-357 would be pretty slick. The reloading would be stupid cheap. The brass would never ever wear out. Or maybe subsonic 30-30? Also cheap to reload. Initial cost would be cheaper, but the reloading would be a little more. I've shot rabbits with subsonic 150 gr Flat Nose bullets. Just pokes a pinky finger sized hole through them. These are actually a lot less destructive than high velocity rimfire stuff and would be much more versatile vs other game. Would be great if you every got a suppressor, too.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:06 am

Well I bought my first true kydex holster. Bravo concealment for my G19.

Now can anyone help me find a Surefire x300U for under $230?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:42 am

0122358 wrote:Well I bought my first true kydex holster. Bravo concealment for my G19.

$200 shipped on the ebay. Your choice of black or tan.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:34 am

0122358 wrote:Well I bought my first true kydex holster. Bravo concealment for my G19.

223 on Amazon.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:56 am

Mr. Potterfield has them for $209.99 plus shipping.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/159126 ... s-aluminum
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:02 pm

brothaman wrote:

Can you recommend a reputable seller? I say a couple for 199 but don't want to risk issues or the like.

Thanks y'all.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:34 pm

Just wanted to post an update in here. I bought that Remington 770 a few months ago because I got the rifle for free with the purchase of about 200rds of factory ammo. We'll I just want to say this POS lives up to it's really REALLY shitty reputation.

First thing that happened is the bolt lock broke. I had to be careful every time I cycled the bolt not to pull to hard or to fast or I might pull the whole thing out. That in and of itself isn't a big deal I can replace that.

But last week I went to sight in my scope to about 250-275yrds (about the extent of this gun) and I tried to pull the bolt back after a shot. Well it wouldn't move. So I tried a little harder... Nothing. So I finally ejected the mag, sat the thing on my lap and used the palm of my hand to try and cycle the bolt. It finally cycled... Except it was only the bolt handle. Yup, apparently the bolts on these gun are held on by super glue. I broke the damn bolt off.

I have yet to contact Remington but..... wtf?! Oh well.... It was cheap, I knew the risks going in, I cannot say I'm really that angry or surprised. Though I guess I just thought that people like to bitch about things for no reason. The 770 actually stands up to all the shit people say.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:06 am

Halfapint wrote:Just wanted to post an update in here. I bought that Remington 770 a few months ago because I got the rifle for free with the purchase of about 200rds of factory ammo. We'll I just want to say this POS lives up to it's really REALLY shitty reputation.

First thing that happened is the bolt lock broke. I had to be careful every time I cycled the bolt not to pull to hard or to fast or I might pull the whole thing out. That in and of itself isn't a big deal I can replace that.

But last week I went to sight in my scope to about 250-275yrds (about the extent of this gun) and I tried to pull the bolt back after a shot. Well it wouldn't move. So I tried a little harder... Nothing. So I finally ejected the mag, sat the thing on my lap and used the palm of my hand to try and cycle the bolt. It finally cycled... Except it was only the bolt handle. Yup, apparently the bolts on these gun are held on by super glue. I broke the damn bolt off.

I have yet to contact Remington but..... wtf?! Oh well.... It was cheap, I knew the risks going in, I cannot say I'm really that angry or surprised. Though I guess I just thought that people like to bitch about things for no reason. The 770 actually stands up to all the shit people say.
Wow...good to know

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:50 am

chills1994 wrote: Since everybody seems to be focused on the brass being bad, I'll throw this out there and say the primers were undersized.
This may in fact be the case as in the last week I had five more 300 BO casings where the primers fell back out and two .223 casing. Primers I was using are Remmington small rifle. I think I have others in the cabinet I will have to try and see if they will fit in the casings where the Remmington primers all fell out.

All the 300 BO casings that failed re-priming are Barnes head stamped. as that's what the Remmington UMC factory loads are.
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:42 pm

I did an ammo count yesterday and was surprised to find I've got a halfway decent stock going right now.

Granted, most of it's just cheap range ammo, but there's some premium stuff in there as well.

Speaking of which, CCI AR Tactical .22LR is good ammo, right ? I ask because that's what I picked up the other day from a local guy.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:29 pm

I just had a really stupid thought.

Has anyone ever tried making a lightweight scope out of something like carbon fiber or a similar lightweight, yet strong material ?

A friend of mine is trying to build a super lightweight hunting rifle and he's wanting to shave every ounce of unneeded weight that he can. His eyesight sucks (childhood accident) and he's requiring a scope to actually hit anything, but he wants one that is as light as he can get without sacrificing durability or strength. Which is where the idea of a carbon fiber scope comes in. I've checked pretty much every top of the line maker out there and so far none of them offer a carbon fiber scope.

I'm afraid my friend may have to just stick with a regular scope and learn to live with a rifle that weighs a little more than he wants.

ETA: Did a little light digging via Google and it appears someone back in the late 1980's did in fact file a patent for a carbon fiber rifle scope housing. I've never seen one of these even though the patent info lists Bausch and Lomb, Bushnell and Benjamin Sheridan on it.

Did these companies make a carbon fiber scope and discontinue them or did the idea never get off the ground ?

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:22 am

0122358 wrote:
brothaman wrote:

Can you recommend a reputable seller? I say a couple for 199 but don't want to risk issues or the like.

Thanks y'all.
I don't recognize any sellers at a glance, but I did see the best prices from sellers with 25k+ feedbacks. My usual rule of thumb for ebays stores is 5k or positive feedbacks, but nothing that ships from outside the US. I haven't had any problems.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:40 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I just had a really stupid thought.

Has anyone ever tried making a lightweight scope out of something like carbon fiber or a similar lightweight, yet strong material ?....
What magnification does he need? Best (...I think) you can do on a budget is a weaver classic 2-7 @ about 9.5 oz. Their 2-10 is 11 oz. (basing all this on memory so may want it double check). If he spends more he can do a Leupold ultra light. The extra cash will only save you a smidge more than an oz.

I don't' know of any carbon fiber optics, but I don't think that CF would save that much weight over aluminum anyway. What about rings and mounts? Is he going a bolt action or AR? What's his weigh goal? If he's going AR, that Aero Precision ultra light mount is pretty nice.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:30 pm

brothaman wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I just had a really stupid thought.

Has anyone ever tried making a lightweight scope out of something like carbon fiber or a similar lightweight, yet strong material ?....
What magnification does he need? Best (...I think) you can do on a budget is a weaver classic 2-7 @ about 9.5 oz. Their 2-10 is 11 oz. (basing all this on memory so may want it double check). If he spends more he can do a Leupold ultra light. The extra cash will only save you a smidge more than an oz.

I don't' know of any carbon fiber optics, but I don't think that CF would save that much weight over aluminum anyway. What about rings and mounts? Is he going a bolt action or AR? What's his weigh goal? If he's going AR, that Aero Precision ultra light mount is pretty nice.
My friend decided to just forget his ultra lightweight idea and bought an AR and a Bushnell TRS-25 instead.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:45 pm

It is a beautiful day today in the St. Louis area. I would much rather be at the range right now.

:(

This local place I go to opens at noon and closes at 6PM.

There is always tomorrow. Right? But I bet it will be raining. So I am going to head home and reload some .223. Initially, there were some problems getting the Dillon powder measure on the 650 dialed in, but I think I have it now.

I really want to get that Vortex scope sighted in.

I bought some Black Hills .223 grain ammo that I am going to use as like a " control " to compare against my reloads.

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:46 pm

See?

I am so anxious to get some Vitamin P (Pew! Pew! Pew!), that I double tapped my post.

Guns are icky!

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:21 pm

chills1994 wrote:See?

I am so anxious to get some Vitamin P (Pew! Pew! Pew!), that I double tapped my post.
Vitamin P. I'll have to remember that. :clap:
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:03 pm

Blue Loc-Tite ought to hold the front sight tower on a shotgun under recoil, right ?

The shotgun (Tristar Raptor ATAC) I got in trade had a really loose front sight and I couldn't find my red Loc-Tite anywhere (it's somewhere in my tool drawer, I just don't know exactly where), so I put a couple drops of blue Loc-Tite under it and it's seeming like it's holding pretty tight.

I'll know for sure when I get to the range and fire off a box of shells. If it doesn't hold, I guess it'll have to either be soldered or I'll need to find my red Loc-Tite and go from there.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”