Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 0122358 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:33 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Don't the MK25's have the DAK trigger or did they put a different trigger in them ?
I think its the standard 226 trigger...not sure. I still plan on getting the SRT for it along with some G10 grips.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:11 pm

It has a decocker, so it's DA/SA. DAK is basically a lightened DAO. I liked the SRT and SA shooting with my 229. Double action was alright..not as good as my S&W revolver, though.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:26 pm

I finally shot my rifle for the first time. Indoor 100 yard range in Manassas--very nice. I will be back for more.

First time I've fired a rifle in over a decade. :ooh:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Beowolf wrote:I finally shot my rifle for the first time. Indoor 100 yard range in Manassas--very nice. I will be back for more.

First time I've fired a rifle in over a decade. :ooh:
I need to hit the range since I've done some work to my AK to see if all my time and effort was worth it.

I also need to fire my Glocks as well.

My guns have sat silent for a bit too long. :oops:

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Anyone have experience with ALG AR triggers? Are they worth it over stock mil spec?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:24 am

^i have 4 of them. I like them a lot.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:45 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:The Majestic Arms Speed Strip kit has turned me around on the Rugers. Way easier to field-strip. I also removed the LCI and disabled the magazine safety, which really made it easier to seat the mags and has cut down on the FTEs. Honestly I prefer the original MKIII grip angle better, and will probably sell my 22/45 and get a TacSol reciever for my MKII.
Are you still in Florida? And which model 22/45 is it, I'm in the market for one.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:19 am

KnifeStyle wrote:Anyone have experience with ALG AR triggers? Are they worth it over stock mil spec?
Yeah I like my ACT. Never tried the QMS.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:23 am

AS556 wrote:
KnifeStyle wrote:Anyone have experience with ALG AR triggers? Are they worth it over stock mil spec?
Yeah I like my ACT. Never tried the QMS.
Just got my first ACT trigger a month ago. I'll +1. Its pretty nice for the price.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:04 pm

Would you all say the ACT trigger feels smoother, or lighter?
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:05 pm

Assault Life wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:The Majestic Arms Speed Strip kit has turned me around on the Rugers. Way easier to field-strip. I also removed the LCI and disabled the magazine safety, which really made it easier to seat the mags and has cut down on the FTEs. Honestly I prefer the original MKIII grip angle better, and will probably sell my 22/45 and get a TacSol reciever for my MKII.
Are you still in Florida? And which model 22/45 is it, I'm in the market for one.
Illinois, unfortunately. It's the first-run Lite.

ACT feels less gritty than a standard trigger, not much lighter. I've been thinking about switching one of mine out for something nicer though. If I had it to do again, I think I'd grab an RRA NM two-stage and maybe a CMC if I found one on sale.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Ditto to what others have already said... I have them in 3 of my current rifles and have put them in a half dozen or so others that I've built for friends and family. Great trigger, especially for the money.

Check the address...same as Geissle. Built on the same machines & tooling as the $250+ triggers, just not guaranteed to be match grade.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:36 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:...

ACT feels less gritty than a standard trigger, not much lighter. I've been thinking about switching one of mine out for something nicer though. If I had it to do again, I think I'd grab an RRA NM two-stage and maybe a CMC if I found one on sale.
I have a CMC in my daughter's rifle, nice trigger. Feels about the same as the ACT QMS to me but I'm not that sensitive to these things. Nice drop in trigger group; certainly slightly easier to install.

Only have that one CMC, so a single data point... Nice trigger but it was twice the $$ as the ACT, at least for the one I bought.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:47 am

Ok no more watering the gardens in tacticool flip flops as of this morning.
Regulators mount up.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:27 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Ok no more watering the gardens in tacticool flip flops as of this morning.
LOL.....A couple weeks ago, when it was raining like hell around here, I went out to my detached carport to get something out of my truck during a lull in the downpour. As I opened the driver's door I just happened to look down, and a baby rattler (about a foot long) went haulin' ass between my feet.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:18 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Image

Ok no more watering the gardens in tacticool flip flops as of this morning.
Hey, skin that sucker and you could make a cool hat band. :D

I actually still kind of want a snakeskin hat band. Might have to buy a cowboy hat to make use of one, though.

As for footwear while in snake areas, I'm thinking thick leather and steel toe boot would work perfectly.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:46 pm

I was literally watering the tomato plants in basketball shorts and flip flops turned to water the plant in that green tier and there he was coiled up a foot and a half from me tounge flicking and just sitting there. I about needed a new pair of underwear and a sedative. Backed away slowly went and got the shovel and removed his head. Once the body stopped squirming about an hour and a half later I stretched him out and he cam in at just over 31 inches with the head removed. All in all it was pretty docile with a bulge in the middle of the belly telling me he was just trying to digest a meal. I hope it was the pack rat that I kicked out of the grass when I was mowing last weekend as that would be bonus. So glad I mowed last weekend as the grass was about a foot tall right where it was at. I have switched to my issued combat boots for watering and have put my 357 Mag back on my hip with snake shot. First damn one I have found in the yard in four years. So glad the kids were in summer school and not out back playing and that the dogs are fenced out of the gardens.

Rick I know how you feel with the baby one by your feet.

As for the hat band I don't really ever where my cowboy hat and had no interest in skinning the thing and dealing with drying the hide and all that. I did save the rattle for chimp though as he mentioned to me a couple of years ago he wanted one. not an impressive rattle as it was only three rattles.
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:00 pm

Thanks, Zobmiedown. :D

I've lived in West Texas close to 9 years now and I've yet to see any rattlers. I've seen plenty of horned toads (almost caught one to keep as a pet) and roadrunners, but no snakes so far.

Hell, it was a few months ago that I saw the first jackrabbit out here.

ETA: I hope you buried that snake head real deep, dude. Suckers can still get you even after you've cut their heads off hours later.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:02 pm

In gun related news, I picked up two boxes of .22LR this morning at Walmart.

It's nothing fancy, just that Federal Auto Match stuff. But still, I actually found .22LR rounds on the shelf. I should've taken a picture, come to think about it.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:04 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Thanks, Zobmiedown. :D

I've lived in West Texas close to 9 years now and I've yet to see any rattlers. I've seen plenty of horned toads (almost caught one to keep as a pet) and roadrunners, but no snakes so far.

ETA: I hope you buried that snake head real deep, dude. Suckers can still get you even after you've cut their heads off hours later.
I grew up in the high desert of Southern CA and was taught that you put the severed heads in a tin soup can and crush it so it cant fall out which is what I did with it and then put it in the dumpster with the body minus the rattle.

If you found .22lr on the shelf at walmart you need to go buy a lottery ticket as well.
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:15 pm

zobmiedown wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Thanks, Zobmiedown. :D

I grew up in the high desert of Southern CA and was taught that you put the severed heads in a tin soup can and crush it so it cant fall out which is what I did with it and then put it in the dumpster with the body minus the rattle.

If you found .22lr on the shelf at walmart you need to go buy a lottery ticket as well.
I'll go buy one later, Zobmiedown. It might actually be my turn to win the jackpot this year. I could do a lot with 60 million bucks.

And there was a decent stock of .22LR there as well. Not quite like we're used to, but it was ok.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:28 pm

Bought a Vortex PST 1 to 4 power scope with illuminated reticle.

Just doing a quick image google search, this is what the reticle looks like:

I haven't mounted it yet. Maybe on Friday I can make it to the range.

I am still deciding on whether to put on the AR carbine chambered in 7.62X39, or on the 20 inch heavier barreled .223 AR.

EDIT: another online review of that scopes says that the the inside of the circle is 20 MOA. IIRC, an IDPA/USPSA target is 18 inches wide. So in theory if a human torsoe can fit exactly inside the circle, they are about 100 yards away.

Guns are icky!

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:51 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I'll go buy one later, Zobmiedown. It might actually be my turn to win the jackpot this year. I could do a lot with 60 million bucks.
Like buy a case of .22!
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:42 pm

00dlez wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Like buy a case of .22!
I was thinking a pallet of .22LR actually. :clap:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”