Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

chills1994

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by chills1994 » Sat May 16, 2015 11:26 pm

What is a "swovel option"?

I have a set of moulded in non-electronic ear plugs, around here somewhere. The same lady who was pouring the moulds for the electronic ones (too rich for my blood at the time), also did my non-electronic ones.

I think she was giving hearing tests to the guys ahead of me getting the electronic ones. At the NRA show, I have seen the same set up. A guy "at the plate" getting the goo poured into one ear at a time. One on deck guy doing the hearing test. Then an in the hole guy filling out the forms.

EDIT: I think this lady was with ESP America.

Do you guys know who makes the electronic ear muffs all the X military guys wear? There always seems to be an electronic cord they have to tape or zip tie to the headband. I am curious if they are supposed to plug into some radio or walkie talkie?

Guns are icky!

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun May 17, 2015 1:11 am

chills1994 wrote:What is a "swovel option"?

I have a set of moulded in non-electronic ear plugs, around here somewhere. The same lady who was pouring the moulds for the electronic ones (too rich for my blood at the time), also did my non-electronic ones.

I think she was giving hearing tests to the guys ahead of me getting the electronic ones. At the NRA show, I have seen the same set up. A guy "at the plate" getting the goo poured into one ear at a time. One on deck guy doing the hearing test. Then an in the hole guy filling out the forms.

EDIT: I think this lady was with ESP America.

Do you guys know who makes the electronic ear muffs all the X military guys wear? There always seems to be an electronic cord they have to tape or zip tie to the headband. I am curious if they are supposed to plug into some radio or walkie talkie?
It's me fat fingering my phone while typing 'swivel'.

Peltor Comtacs are what you're seeing. Yes, the extra cables are for comms. You can get them with none, single, or dual (so you can run multiple radios from your headset). I use a velcro cable tie on my dual comm pair which you can see below.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon May 18, 2015 4:09 pm

Well, I installed the Zhukov-S stock on my AK today and it was super easy. The adjustable part was a little stiff, but I'm sure it'll loosen up once everything is broken in.

And speaking of ear pro, I almost bought a pair of Peltor electronic ear muffs at Walmart yesterday.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon May 18, 2015 4:12 pm

Wait, they sell Peltors at Wally World?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon May 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Langenator wrote:Wait, they sell Peltors at Wally World?
Yeah, it surprised the hell out of me too.

For 60 bucks, I might go back and pick them up. They're bound to work better than the little foam ear plugs I've been using for the past ten years.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:06 pm

I bought my first pair of electronic Peltors probably in about 2006. I should have bought batteries at the same time and tried them on before I left the store.

One of my speakers was crackle-y. So I always shut that muff off.

Then I bought a 2nd pair about 4 years ago. My puppy/dog had to chew the foam covering doodads that cover the microphones.

Arrgghh...

Dave, thanks for answering my question above.

Guns are icky!

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon May 18, 2015 7:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Langenator wrote:Wait, they sell Peltors at Wally World?
Yeah, it surprised the hell out of me too.

For 60 bucks, I might go back and pick them up. They're bound to work better than the little foam ear plugs I've been using for the past ten years.
Howard Leight Impact Sports are half the price and don't come from Wal-Mart. They've been good to me despite being left on all the time.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon May 18, 2015 8:28 pm

I'll probably end up just buying more of those little foam ear plugs since they've worked for me this long.

That and I'll end up researching different brands of electronic ear pro.

Looks like a visit to Amazon is in my future.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon May 18, 2015 9:02 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I'll probably end up just buying more of those little foam ear plugs since they've worked for me this long.

That and I'll end up researching different brands of electronic ear pro.

Looks like a visit to Amazon is in my future.
You can absolutely do better than Howard Leights, but you're going to pay for them. HL's are better than anything in their price range and to do better you're going to spend about twice as much money on the lower end.
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon May 18, 2015 9:05 pm

I should mention my best use for my Howards has been when mowing the lawn or whanging on things with metal. Turn on the noise cancelling and use a male-to-male audio jack to listen to Welcome to Nightvale.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon May 18, 2015 10:18 pm

So what brands would y'all recommend that are under 60 bucks ?

I can get the Peltors for a little less than 60 bucks thanks to a discount, so I'm kind of leaning towards those. But I'm open to suggestions.

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Tue May 19, 2015 1:20 am

What's the current favorite for SD pistol ammo (specifically in .45ACP, if it makes a difference)?

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Tue May 19, 2015 1:24 am

Greg Focker wrote:What's the current favorite for SD pistol ammo (specifically in .45ACP, if it makes a difference)?
Don't know what's hip these days, but I fluctuate between Hydrashok and Gold Dot, depending on what's available. I tend to gravitate towards the GD, but I just seem to shoot that a little better for some reason. *shrug*
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue May 19, 2015 1:33 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I should mention my best use for my Howards has been when mowing the lawn or whanging on things with metal. Turn on the noise cancelling and use a male-to-male audio jack to listen to Welcome to Nightvale.
I use Peltors and ear buds for mowing the lawn. HL's never seem to get loud enough for me. The earbuds I use actually double as earpro
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Phone-Wo ... /205495711
Before you ask, no, the active earpo based on their app is fucking unusable. But they are good for loud environments. I wear them on airplanes all the time.
Dave Merrill

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:40 am

Greg Focker wrote:What's the current favorite for SD pistol ammo (specifically in .45ACP, if it makes a difference)?
Federal HST 230-grain (standard pressure) does everything I want a .45 ACP to do and is currently pretty easy to find. SGAmmo has 50-round boxes and 1000-round cases for about .65 cents a round (.63 for 1000 round cases).

You can get Gold Dot a little cheaper, still high quality ammunition.

http://sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/45-auto-acp

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue May 19, 2015 12:13 pm

Barnes Tac-XPD did best in FBI tests but every single guy who I personally know/worked for me and used these type rounds to "do bad things when required" swear by Federal hydra-shok.

Read lots of good stuff about Hornady's round w/the little eraser tip material in the hollow point cavity too (edit: Critical Defense); and the Gold Dot is always near the top in tests.

Bottom line: I think you'll be fine with any premium self defense round but I have Federal Hydrashoks in my bedside pistol.

YMMV.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Wed May 20, 2015 9:36 am

Perfect timing, my hardware-brand electronic muffs messed with my cheek weld all weekend at a carbine course and I was debating getting the HLs solely based on the thinner profile. For indoor ranges I do Surefires under my electronic set, for this outdoor course I risked just the soft plugs because the clunking drove me nuts. Glad to say I came back from the course otherwise happy with my gear, minus that annoying gap in the trigger guard killing my middle finger.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed May 20, 2015 10:40 am

KnifeStyle wrote:Perfect timing, my hardware-brand electronic muffs messed with my cheek weld all weekend at a carbine course and I was debating getting the HLs solely based on the thinner profile. For indoor ranges I do Surefires under my electronic set, for this outdoor course I risked just the soft plugs because the clunking drove me nuts. Glad to say I came back from the course otherwise happy with my gear, minus that annoying gap in the trigger guard killing my middle finger.
Funny coincidence, that gap is the perfect place for a cheap foam or rubber earplug.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Wed May 20, 2015 11:14 am

I loved the array of responses I've gotten complaining about the gap on a few forums. My options are as follows:
"Just stick an ear plug in there."-Total cost, under ten cents, I have several rolling around my range bag.
"Purchase the 'gapper', it's a world renowned product that has changed my life."-Five dollars, and wondering who came up with this thing.
"Magpul trigger guard. Closes the gap, allows for gloved shooting, high speed, low drag, tactical color options." Ten dollars. Have to pick between tan or black, risking having a rifle that doesn't match my outfit perfectly.
"Purchase a custom pistol grip that closes the gap, holds a spare bolt and cleaning kit, and is endorsed by John Doe, Space Shuttle Door Gunner." Seventy dollars, plus gunsmithing if out of spec.
"Get an AK." Seventy five dollars, including fuzzy hat.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed May 20, 2015 11:18 am

KnifeStyle wrote:I loved the array of responses I've gotten complaining about the gap on a few forums. My options are as follows:
"Just stick an ear plug in there."-Total cost, under ten cents, I have several rolling around my range bag.
"Purchase the 'gapper', it's a world renowned product that has changed my life."-Five dollars, and wondering who came up with this thing.
"Magpul trigger guard. Closes the gap, allows for gloved shooting, high speed, low drag, tactical color options." Ten dollars. Have to pick between tan or black, risking having a rifle that doesn't match my outfit perfectly.
"Purchase a custom pistol grip that closes the gap, holds a spare bolt and cleaning kit, and is endorsed by John Doe, Space Shuttle Door Gunner." Seventy dollars, plus gunsmithing if out of spec.
You left out "Suck it up, buttercup." -Free :lol:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 20, 2015 11:26 am

KnifeStyle wrote:I loved the array of responses I've gotten complaining about the gap on a few forums. My options are as follows:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFI ... -s/160.htm

Twenty-five dollars, and it comes with free BCM-brand koolaid to slurp.

eeb

Post by eeb » Wed May 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFI ... -s/160.htm

Twenty-five dollars, and it comes with free BCM-brand koolaid to slurp.
The seven dollar trigger guards on that link appear to fill the gap as well, though I haven't tried them to confirm.

Personally, I generally use a Magpul "enhanced" trigger guard. Mostly just cuz it looks cool, though. I just thought the juxtaposition of all the ear pro talk and the complaint about the trigger guard gap was too good to pass up.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed May 20, 2015 4:06 pm

dirt. put dirt in it.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 20, 2015 4:54 pm

TheLastOne wrote:dirt. put dirt in it.
Nah, man, I heard that if you get dirt anywhere near an AR they explode

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”