Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

chills1994

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by chills1994 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:46 am

TheLastOne wrote:And magpul makes a 10/22 stock.

Magpul: printing money since forever
I was image google'ing something else entirely which led me Anschutz BR50 rifles. Which in turn led me to KIDD rifles.

Doing some more google'ing, I haven't figured out yet if KIDD makes their own receivers and/or complete rifles.

I'm pretty sure Volquartsen still makes their own 10/22 teceivers, and possibly complete rifles.

LGS has a tricked out 10/22. It has big scope with a sun shade on (a Tasco, I think). At first I thought the whole thing was Volquartsen because of some part that was on it. The price tag was $600 plus. I took the gun down off the wall and turned it around to see the name "Ruger" on the receiver. That made me sad. :(

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:22 am

Picked up a Pelican 1700 case the other day off of CL. I was thinking that my black cordura rifle bag with the external mag pouches would scare the neighbors.

So as soon as I got the Pelican 1700, I headed off to a local Guitar Center to get a bunch of different band bumper stickers (Rush, Nirvana, Sublime, etc.) I think it makes for decent camouflage. It looks more like a case for a bass guitar now. I was looking for ways to attach a shoulder strap to it, so I went looking for hardware for it at a Lowe's. No one even batted an eye as I wheeled and carried it around the store. The cashier didn't give it a second look either as I bought two key chain type carabiners, which fit the case's padlock holes.

Guns are icky!

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Hollis wrote:
procyon wrote:
Hollis wrote:CQB is not the same as HD.
I'll bite.
Other than the lack of a team - how is clearing my house (HD) different?
Not being snarky, just curious as to how you see it.

I looked at your comment from several parts.

The first part is Marines, their training and that they operate offensively (generally)

The M16 is a battle rifle, similar to a AR but not the same. Not so much the rifle, but the training of the person welding that rifle. There is a pretty good joke on how the Marines would secure a building VS the other services. Tactics, training and culture. There are reasons why the Posse Comitatus Act was signed. LE's training is not the same as Marine 0311's. Your average LE does not have the same training as LE Swat team.

The difference in offense VS defense. Lots to be discussed there.

As I mentioned in the past there are other variables to look at on deciding the best firearm for HD. For those who have trained and got all of the certificates, room clearing is probably better lest to them.

The choice of the rifle, again the most important factor, IIRC, is the person holding it.

We are talking about a home, how big is your home? There issue of the penetration power of the round does becomes a issue. One guarantee in shooting, is that a person will hit something, maybe more than one something. I would saying training and even luck is a important factor.

Because Marines do it, may not be a good reason for the average civilian doing it. A thought.

I think the other thing is Battle as in CQB. IIRC most self defense exchanges are at a short distance and very few rounds expended. Battles seems to me, imply lots of rounds going down range. Maybe my bias.

Personally, where I live a AR would be just as good as any other firearm. If I am in the kitchen when a intruder presents themselves I would probably grab my cast iron skillet rather than run off to another room.

Those are my thoughts. At this current time, I do not see my HD situation being anything close to a firefight/battle. If I lived in Syria, belt feds would be my choice.
I don't know if it is true or not, but I did find this:

http://www.militarymuseum.org/LARiots1.html
[div]"Police officers responded to a domestic dispute, accompanied by marines. They had just gone up to the door when two shotgun birdshot rounds were fired through the door, hitting the officers. One yelled `cover me!' to the marines, who then laid down a heavy base of fire. . . . The police officer had not meant `shoot' when he yelled `cover me' to the marines. [He] meant . . . point your weapons and be prepared to respond if necessary. However, the marines responded instantly in the precise way they had been trained, where `cover me' means provide me with cover using firepower. . . . over two hundred bullets [were] fired into that house."[1]
The link does not seem to work anymore. I have heard this story before, Maybe bogus, Maybe my google fu is not so good.

@AS556, Nice looking dura coat job.
I am just catching up on this forum but I saw this and had to respond. This is in fact a true story. Happened during the LA riots I was there assigned to 1st Marine Division headquarters and was in the comm center when the report came in. It was right after that they took the Marines out of the LAPD squad cars as it was determined there was a language barrier between the LAPD and the Marines. What the article does not say is that the guy was found crying in his bathtub covered in his own urine and fecal matter.
Regulators mount up.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:49 pm

OK y'all I need a bit more help. I've looked but get conflicts in my answers. I'm looking at/have a Polish M64 RPK in my cart for a distributer and need to know, yes its not chrome lined but do the M64s have a heavy barrel and heavy receiver? Its 698 plus tax a decent price. Thanks.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:50 pm

chills1994 wrote:
TheLastOne wrote:Only Dave's hands can make a 43 look like a 35.
I thought that was a 35 and Dave just has Andre the Giant hands.

:lol:
If I ever need to send someone a dick pic, I'm definitely making Dave hold it for the shot. It'll look like a damned baseball bat.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:41 pm

Jeriah wrote:
If I ever need to send someone a dick pic, I'm definitely making Dave hold it for the shot. It'll look like a damned baseball bat.

Lego makes baseball bats......................

Ok I owe you a beer or two or more. :)
Zombies don't ski.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:56 pm

0122358 wrote:Ok can anyone tell me if these are the real deal and will work unlike cheap imitation drums?

http://www.jgsales.com/romanian-ak-47-7 ... -3785.html
I bought one. It is legit. The Romanian drums are Chinese-style; you open the back plate and load rounds that way, then wind it up.

This has the advantage that you can load it but not wind it, if you're worried about wearing out your spring. I have no opinion on the issue of whether storing a spring compressed is an actual issue; I don't worry about it with normal mags but maybe drums are different?

Loading the mag is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. There are how-to videos online (possibly on J&G's website) that make some sense of it. The drum also comes with a paper instruction sheet.

I did have a malfunction the first time I used it, caused by my error in loading the drum. It is important to follow the instructions and try it out a few times to make sure you've got it before loading a drum and taking it into action. This is especially true if you plan on loading fewer than 75 rounds into the drum; you can do it, but you have to follow the instructions or your drum will stop feeding partway through, even though there are still rounds in it.

Overall: I highly recommend this drum, it's awesome, makes you feel like Rambo, gets your dick hard, works well, but RTFM.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:15 pm

Jeriah wrote:
0122358 wrote:Ok can anyone tell me if these are the real deal and will work unlike cheap imitation drums?

http://www.jgsales.com/romanian-ak-47-7 ... -3785.html
I bought one. It is legit. The Romanian drums are Chinese-style; you open the back plate and load rounds that way, then wind it up.

This has the advantage that you can load it but not wind it, if you're worried about wearing out your spring. I have no opinion on the issue of whether storing a spring compressed is an actual issue; I don't worry about it with normal mags but maybe drums are different?

Loading the mag is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. There are how-to videos online (possibly on J&G's website) that make some sense of it. The drum also comes with a paper instruction sheet.

I did have a malfunction the first time I used it, caused by my error in loading the drum. It is important to follow the instructions and try it out a few times to make sure you've got it before loading a drum and taking it into action. This is especially true if you plan on loading fewer than 75 rounds into the drum; you can do it, but you have to follow the instructions or your drum will stop feeding partway through, even though there are still rounds in it.

Overall: I highly recommend this drum, it's awesome, makes you feel like Rambo, gets your dick hard, works well, but RTFM.
Awesome, thanks Jeriah. I'll pick up 2-3 in the next week when I order my RPK :crazy:
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Just ordered my RPK...here's to hoping it passed the drunken monkeys :rofl: :lol: :lol:

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Does anyone like DAO???

I was trying to wring out the most accurate pistol I own, using clay pidgeons at various ranges and taking my time shooting.

I kid you not, I was most accurate with my little subcompact SCCY with a DAO trigger at some dumb ranges. I hit an orange and a spray paint lid and other various fruits at about 30 yards standing (that's really good for my average skills). I even used it to clean up with clays that I missed with my other full-size 9mms.

It may have been my luckiest shooting ever, or staging the double action trigger may be best for my crazy long fingers (I have trigger slap issues sometimes). I'm not the best shot ever, but I think I can get good with a DAO.

Now it's time to buy a SIG P250....
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:20 am

I like DAO with revolvers just not semi autos, funny about the SCCY though, I'm most accurate with my $200 striker fired subcompact Taurus 9mm. Go figure.

Hitting an orange with a handgun at 30m is good shooting in my book. I think a lot of people exaggerate their skill with a pistol, pistols, at least in my experience, are really hard to master.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:26 am

AS556 wrote:I like DAO with revolvers just not semi autos, funny about the SCCY though, I'm most accurate with my $200 striker fired subcompact Taurus 9mm. Go figure.

That is the thing, If we had 10 different pistols/revolvers of the same caliber, over time one would probably prefer one or two over the others. There are things reading will not answer, such as fit and feel.

Your Taurus was made for you and the makers never knew that.
Zombies don't ski.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:26 am

AS556 wrote: Hitting an orange with a handgun at 30m is good shooting in my book. I think a lot of people exaggerate their skill with a pistol, pistols, at least in my experience, are really hard to master.
Well normally I'm a paper plate at 10 yards kinda guy... "good enough for who it's for".

So I decided to try it out again this morning to see if I could tag some little things at long distance to make sure it was not just a few lucky shots. But it seems between last night and this morning (I carried it at the movies), I managed to bust loose the rear sight of my SCCY and it needs to be glued back in its dovetail.... it seems my run of good luck ran out.

The quest continues....
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:24 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
AS556 wrote: Hitting an orange with a handgun at 30m is good shooting in my book. I think a lot of people exaggerate their skill with a pistol, pistols, at least in my experience, are really hard to master.
Well normally I'm a paper plate at 10 yards kinda guy... "good enough for who it's for".

So I decided to try it out again this morning to see if I could tag some little things at long distance to make sure it was not just a few lucky shots. But it seems between last night and this morning (I carried it at the movies), I managed to bust loose the rear sight of my SCCY and it needs to be glued back in its dovetail.... it seems my run of good luck ran out.

The quest continues....
Ought to have that slide machined for a nice reflex sight. I've always been told that you're supposed to spend more on the optic than the gun. ;)
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:48 pm

Funny you should mention that. I just spent more on an eye exam and glasses for my wife than the AR I had redone for her. :lol:

Had a old Bushmaster redone into the purple one for the wife and ended up using the spare parts left over to build the other one for my father in law with the understanding that when he is done with it then it becomes mine. Was my first build from parts and both are very accurate rifles now. Now have parts being delivered by UPS tomorrow to build another one.
Last edited by zobmiedown on Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:13 pm

Well, I ordered a magazine extension for my 870 Express and now I just have to figure out how to grind down the dimples in the factory mag tube.

I figure I can go buy a Dremel, but the grinder bits are kind of short and the mag tube dimples are a little further in than I think the bits can extend.

If all else fails, I take my gun to a gunsmith with the proper tools and pay him to grind out the dimples.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Won't a hand file work? Either way let us know what route you take, I'm going to be adding an extension to ny 870 soonish.

Took my $199 Wingmaster with 28" bbl, got a 18" Rem barrel, Hogue furniture and Duracoated the receiver and barrel FDE. Now just need a mag extension, light, sling and side saddle. It's shaping up nicely.

Greg Focker

Post by Greg Focker » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Jeriah wrote:
chills1994 wrote:

:rofl:

Dave could literally "Open up a brand new market! Never been done before!" if he can mentally get past the *squick* factor :crazy:

They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the nuts work loose,
They do not teach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when they damn-well choose.
-The Sons of Martha; R. Kipling

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:44 pm

anyone point me in a direction for a scope that is good for about 600 yards that doesn't cost 500+$$
so a far i am looking at
http://www.amazon.com/Crossfire-II-18x4 ... fle+scopes

and

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXKNPVG/ref ... U3QQBFLV4H

or
http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-6-24x50-Ex ... B001JJCHHU

does anyone have any experience with these brands or scopes?
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:09 pm

I have a good amount of experience with the Vortex Crossfire II, in 4-12x and 6-18x. I think they are one of the best deals(if not the best) on the market for budget glass. Crystal clear and gathers plenty of light for low-light shooting. That would be my top choice out of those. Stay away from Barska.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:54 pm

AS556 wrote:Won't a hand file work? Either way let us know what route you take, I'm going to be adding an extension to ny 870 soonish.

Took my $199 Wingmaster with 28" bbl, got a 18" Rem barrel, Hogue furniture and Duracoated the receiver and barrel FDE. Now just need a mag extension, light, sling and side saddle. It's shaping up nicely.
A hand file might work, but it'd probably take a long time to file down those mag tube dimples.

I'll probably end up taking my gun to a gunsmith since I'd rather have a professional do the work. I'm too afraid of screwing up a perfectly good gun.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Greg Focker wrote:
Jeriah wrote:
chills1994 wrote:

:rofl:

Dave could literally "Open up a brand new market! Never been done before!" if he can mentally get past the *squick* factor :crazy:
I'll have to advertise on Craigslist :mrgreen:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

AS556

Post by AS556 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Magpul just recalled their Glock Pmags lol. Apparently they don't work in the 26/19? I just used my 2 today and they ran just fine.

One would think you'd test them in those platforms..

Magpul, I am disappoint.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:28 pm

We'reWolf wrote:anyone point me in a direction for a scope that is good for about 600 yards that doesn't cost 500+$$
so a far i am looking at
http://www.amazon.com/Crossfire-II-18x4 ... fle+scopes

and

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXKNPVG/ref ... U3QQBFLV4H

or
http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-6-24x50-Ex ... B001JJCHHU

does anyone have any experience with these brands or scopes?
Like a lot of other things in life, you do get what you pay for...even moreso with optics.

In my own personal experience, with optics right around the $250 price point... it really separates the chaff from the wheat. Then the next big jump up in quality or features seems to be right around your $500 parameter.

Then $750 ish...then say $1,000 to $1,200. Past that you are in Swarovski z6i territory and Elcan Spectre neighborhood.

Guns are icky!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”