Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:I'm a little disappointed-

I was hoping for a bright orange one with a longer barrel like I had as a kid.

I had the red Zapper pistol when I had an NES as a kid. :D Never had the orange or gray one, but my NES was one of the later ones, so that's probably why I had the bright red one.

As for a more faithful pistol, I think you'd have to either make a custom frame or slide to really get close to the look of it.

That or drop 4 grand on one of those Sig P210 target pistols and piss off the purists by Cerakoting it bright orange since that's probably the closest looking pistol out there right now.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Whippersnapper. The original NES gun was grey and red, just like the one in the video.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Langenator wrote:Whippersnapper. The original NES gun was grey and red, just like the one in the video.
The original NES came out two months after I was born in 1985 (I was born in August and the NES came out in October the same year).

And I know they originally had that grey and red gun, but they switched the colors after someone at Nintendo had concerns about kids safety with the grey one. So that's how we ended up with a bright orange Zapper instead of the grey one. The Japanese got one that looked like a revolver and we ended up with something out of Star Wars.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:09 pm

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:37 am

flybynight wrote:Image
Now I really want to get one of those and have a custom shop turn it into a Nintendo Zapper. :clap:

I'm off to scour the sales boards and pawn shops for a good one as well as to find someone to make my new dream happen.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:42 am

BBC's Outcasts series had orange Glocks.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:03 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Now I really want to get one of those and have a custom shop turn it into a Nintendo Zapper. :clap:

I'm off to scour the sales boards and pawn shops for a good one as well as to find someone to make my new dream happen.
I remember a .22 that had a short wooden forearm with about a ten inch barrel . I just can't remember what company made it. I thought it was Browning but when I looked I didn't see a pistol , just the carbine. The High standard has the general frame profile, but then again so does the colt woodsman and AMT lightning
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:43 pm

I think a Browning Buckmark would probably be easier to work on and less expensive than a Colt or High Standard.

That and the Buckmark is still being made, so they're not that valuable to collectors just yet.

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:25 am

In Texarkana and bored in the back seat of a Ram.

I like the buck mark option.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:09 am

flybynight wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I remember a .22 that had a short wooden forearm with about a ten inch barrel . I just can't remember what company made it. I thought it was Browning but when I looked I didn't see a pistol , just the carbine. The High standard has the general frame profile, but then again so does the colt woodsman and AMT lightning
Browning Buckmark Silhouette is what you're thinking of.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:42 pm

Doc!

Got a question for you-

How hard would it be to modify a (.308 Win. / 7.62 NATO) Remington 750 and 783 to accept one of the following types of magazines:

CETME / HK G3/41
AR-10
M14

Thanks!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:In Texarkana and bored in the back seat of a Ram.

I like the buck mark option.
I like the Buck Mark option too since it's the cheapest one and I won't be potentially ruining a valuable gun if I turn it into a Nintendo Zapper.

In other news, I finally got my Meprolight night sights installed on my Glock 21. It only took the gunsmith maybe 20 minutes to install and adjust the sights and I'm only out 25 bucks for the work.

I even made a new friend and introduced him to ZS. :clap:

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:38 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:

BBC's Outcasts series had orange Glocks.

I bet this was due to some health and safety regulation.

I wish I was joking.
Man is a beast of prey

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:13 am

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:Doc!

Got a question for you-

How hard would it be to modify a (.308 Win. / 7.62 NATO) Remington 750 and 783 to accept one of the following types of magazines:

CETME / HK G3/41
AR-10
M14

Thanks!
Assuming you aren't a machinist capable and experienced in turning out chassis systems, it will be impossible for you. The cost of custom work will be such that you'll be better off selling the 783 and buying a 700 and attaching a Magpul chassis system to use AICS mags, or buying a Mossberg MVP and using AR-10 mags. If you're not happy with just buying more of the ten round magazines for the 750, an AR build would be best, but if you want something a little classier a Garand might be the way to go. Means adding a caliber or looking for a converted model with the Schuster plug though.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... s_id/97195

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catal ... 00-sa-blk/

The main obstacle here is that neither rifle has a mag well that would be useable with those mags. The HK system is rock-and-lock, which means fabricating a new magazine well with locking points for the lugs. AR mags require a magazine well that sits well below the action like an AR to lock the magazine latch, and the M14 magazine is about the closest but still requires fabricating an entirely new magazine well. Then you have to modify the feed ramps, replace the bolt, the action springs and recoil system for the semi-auto, almost certainly need to heat treat the frame again at that point, and it still might not work right. I've heard rumors of the older models being "converted" to use surplus magazines but have never seen evidence of such barbarism, and suspect that such a conversion actually involves mating the upper end of a factory magazine to a new set of springs and a cheap surplus magazine, by way of some creative welding.

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:15 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Got a question for you-

CETME / HK G3/41
AR-10
M14

Thanks!
Assuming you aren't a machinist capable and experienced in turning out chassis systems, it will be impossible for you. The cost of custom work will be such that you'll be better off selling the 783 and buying a 700 and attaching a Magpul chassis system to use AICS mags, or buying a Mossberg MVP and using AR-10 mags. If you're not happy with just buying more of the ten round magazines for the 750, an AR build would be best, but if you want something a little classier a Garand might be the way to go. Means adding a caliber or looking for a converted model with the Schuster plug though.

The main obstacle here is that neither rifle has a mag well that would be useable with those mags. The HK system is rock-and-lock, which means fabricating a new magazine well with locking points for the lugs. AR mags require a magazine well that sits well below the action like an AR to lock the magazine latch, and the M14 magazine is about the closest but still requires fabricating an entirely new magazine well. Then you have to modify the feed ramps, replace the bolt, the action springs and recoil system for the semi-auto, almost certainly need to heat treat the frame again at that point, and it still might not work right. I've heard rumors of the older models being "converted" to use surplus magazines but have never seen evidence of such barbarism, and suspect that such a conversion actually involves mating the upper end of a factory magazine to a new set of springs and a cheap surplus magazine, by way of some creative welding.
:cry: ok, thanks for the reply.

Edit:

Good news: I haven't bought anything yet.

Bad news: Mossberg MVP and an AR-10 cost more, and I would prefer a classic style on the semi. But I would spend more on trying to customize the Remingtons.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:26 am

MDT is making modular chassis for the 783. Its a bit of an investment,.. but I think it takes AICS mags. Magpul is making mags in that format now.
Personally,.. You can pick up a savage on sale for about the same price as the 783 and have a lot more aftermarket options.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Got a question for you-

CETME / HK G3/41
AR-10
M14

Thanks!

:cry: ok, thanks for the reply.

Edit:

Good news: I haven't bought anything yet.

Bad news: Mossberg MVP and an AR-10 cost more, and I would prefer a classic style on the semi. But I would spend more on trying to customize the Remingtons.
The 783 is not a great rifle. Neither is the 700, frankly, but it's better. So is the Ruger American, Savage model 10, etc.

The 750 is an odd duck. I would suggest reconsidering what you want the rifles to accomplish.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Just out of curiosity, what are the problems with the 783 that make it not a great rifle ?

Is it as bad or worse than the 770 ?

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote: Good news: I haven't bought anything yet.

The 783 is not a great rifle. Neither is the 700, frankly, but it's better. So is the Ruger American, Savage model 10, etc.

The 750 is an odd duck. I would suggest reconsidering what you want the rifles to accomplish.
What do I hope to accomplish:

Bolt- hunting rifle with an increased mag capacity.

Semi- tactical gun that will use same mags as the bolt, that can be used when the Iranian/North Korean/Zombie Alliance invades.

I do prefer the classic look and I see the MVP also takes M14/M1A mags. So it looks like that is the direction I will go in. Mossberg MVP and Springfield M1A, it's more expensive than the Remingtons but will be better guns and prevent me from a Dr. Frankenstein custom special.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:14 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the problems with the 783 that make it not a great rifle ?

It's supposed to slot in between the 770, which is utter shit, and the 700, which is adequate at best. It's a 700 but with cost-saving measures, so while not Taurus-bad it's still Remington-bad.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the problems with the 783 that make it not a great rifle ?

It's supposed to slot in between the 770, which is utter shit, and the 700, which is adequate at best. It's a 700 but with cost-saving measures, so while not Taurus-bad it's still Remington-bad.

How so ?

I know the 770 has issues with the barrels and bolts breaking, but I'm unaware of what the 783 has problems with. I see a lot of guys in my AO trying to sell off their 770s ( often for way more than the gun is worth or what the MSRP is), but I haven't seen too many 783s for sale.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:30 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

How so ?

I know the 770 has issues with the barrels and bolts breaking, but I'm unaware of what the 783 has problems with. I see a lot of guys in my AO trying to sell off their 770s ( often for way more than the gun is worth or what the MSRP is), but I haven't seen too many 783s for sale.
It's not a Mosin-level garbage rod, but it's still a cheaper version of the 700, but still not cheap enough to beat out a Savage action. Also, it's still coming from Rustington, which might be getting better but the 770s don't inspire a lot of confidence.

Remington has been poison, and there's other options that are as good or better designed and produced with better QC.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Thanks for the info, Doc.

I actually looked at getting a 783 awhile back (local guy had one minus the magazine for about 200 bucks), but ultimately passed on it because I had no idea if they were decent rifles or not.

If I do get another bolt action rifle, I'll probably go with either Savage or Ruger. A lot of their entry level guns are close to the same price as the 783, cheaper in some places.

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:53 am

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:Random Thought \ question for today:

Read earlier today on TheFiringLine.com (not a member, just a lurker) that Stoeger 'makes' a Beretta 92 clone~ which since they are a subsidiary of Beretta, is it really a clone or is it factory over runs and second grades?

Anyway- has anyone ever heard of a Stoeger 92? All I see on their website is their 'clone' of the Beretta Cougars.
Only Beretta 92 clones I've heard of are the Taurus 92 and whatever the Chiappa one is called.
Chiappa M9~ how that is not a trademark infringement is beyond me.

The Taurus and Chiappa are both $400ish USD.

I'm looking for a cheaper M9 like pistol. I like the look, feel and function of my 92fs, but I don't want to pay $550 for an extra backup gun.

I keep coming back to a surplus Beretta 92S. Price is $300, and I could buy Beretta made mags that will fit it and my FS (even though the mag catch\release is in a different spot on the S and FS, and only factory mags will work for both). That can not be said for the Taurus and the Chiappa.

But- if Stoeger 'makes' one, it makes sense that it would also take Beretta mags.

I'll probably get a surplus 92S, but wanted to see if anyone had heard of this Stoeger 92. I think someone was confused over on that other forum.
In case anybody else wants to know:

Chiappa M9 accepts Beretta 92FS/M9 mags with no modifications- looks like all parts are interchangeable right now. Surplus 92S is still cheaper - Chiappa had mixed reviews, but most of the negative reviews seem to be from purist gun snobs. For that matter, the surplus 92S also has mixed reviews with negatives from the same group.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”