Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by the_alias » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:19 pm

Hating on Glocks just reminds me of hipster beer snobs who sneer at me buying Miller Lite or Budweiser. Both are alcohol and get you drunk at the end of the day :) . I don't care if you dislike Glock or cheap lager though...

That being said if you have a Gen3 and want to experiment with slight angle change aftermarket back stop the GripForce Adapter has been very good to me.

I like my SIGp226 and I probably shoot it a tad better than my Glock Gen 3 19 in SA mode but the Glock is reliable, works everytime and I've been doing better each IDPA match I've shot with it. I'd like to look at some other striker fired pistols and I will time and money permitting.

Next purchase is likely to be a M&P Shield in 9mm.
Man is a beast of prey

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:and for me personally, the difference from 15 to 17 is not that great- but a 6/7 round mag I would not even consider carrying. So when I say 'if you need a 17 round mag... blah blah blah ass-hat bullshit' I'm saying my 15 round mag I enough for me, why not you?
I think more capacity is better, but there are diminishing returns to each additional round. The difference between one round and two rounds is far more significant than the difference between two rounds and five rounds, and the difference between two rounds and five rounds is far more significant than the difference between five rounds and ten rounds, and so on.

I think that most of us would agree with you that by the time it comes to 15 rounds vs 17 rounds other factors are far more important. All other things being equal I'd rather have 17 rounds than 15, but I'd rather have two rounds less and a pistol that was easier to carry, easier to shoot well, cheaper, or any number of other small advantages.

I actually have a 5-shot revolver on me more than any other handgun. Part of this is for convenience, but there are other dumber reasons like how I lost my other pistol's holster over a year ago. Many of my friends and family are revolver or single stack fans. They sometimes make the following argument, which I think is legit:
"It's pretty unlikely that I will ever need to shoot another human, and if I do it is more likely than not that 5/8 shots will be enough, therefore I feel comfortable carrying a revolver//single stack."

While I think the above argument is fine, they sometimes say things along the lines of the following, which absolutely drives me up the wall:
"If I can't do it in five shots, I can't do it at all!"

I think the above is a pretty dumb statement. Not that I've heard anyone on ZS say that in a long time. Mostly I hear it in meat space.

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:40 pm

the_alias wrote:Hating on Glocks just reminds me of hipster beer snobs who sneer at me buying Miller Lite or Budweiser. Both are alcohol and get you drunk at the end of the day :) . I don't care if you dislike Glock or cheap lager though...
I call my brother a gun hipster all the time. :lol:
the_alias wrote:That being said if you have a Gen3 and want to experiment with slight angle change aftermarket back stop the GripForce Adapter has been very good to me.
I might have to try that out. How much width does it add to the grip? I'm not sure how much of my problem is with the grip angle and how much of it is with the big circumference. Maybe changing the angle makes the width less of a problem?

Not that it is horrible as it is. When I hold my G29 I don't hate it, I just feel like it could be better. It's not enough to be worth selling it though.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:53 pm

If the gun works and you like it, I guess that's all that matters.

I may dislike certain brands, like Lorcin or Jennings, but I'm not going to call someone an idiot if that's all they can afford or if they feel it's the right gun for them.

Some folks swear by them, and some folks swear at them.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:30 pm

quazi wrote: I might have to try that out. How much width does it add to the grip? I'm not sure how much of my problem is with the grip angle and how much of it is with the big circumference. Maybe changing the angle makes the width less of a problem?

Not that it is horrible as it is. When I hold my G29 I don't hate it, I just feel like it could be better. It's not enough to be worth selling it though.
Picture says 1000 words

Man is a beast of prey

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:03 pm

quazi wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:and for me personally, the difference from 15 to 17 is not that great- but a 6/7 round mag I would not even consider carrying. So when I say 'if you need a 17 round mag... blah blah blah ass-hat bullshit' I'm saying my 15 round mag I enough for me, why not you?
I think more capacity is better, but there are diminishing returns to each additional round. The difference between one round and two rounds is far more significant than the difference between two rounds and five rounds, and the difference between two rounds and five rounds is far more significant than the difference between five rounds and ten rounds, and so on.

I think that most of us would agree with you that by the time it comes to 15 rounds vs 17 rounds other factors are far more important. All other things being equal I'd rather have 17 rounds than 15, but I'd rather have two rounds less and a pistol that was easier to carry, easier to shoot well, cheaper, or any number of other small advantages.

I actually have a 5-shot revolver on me more than any other handgun. Part of this is for convenience, but there are other dumber reasons like how I lost my other pistol's holster over a year ago. Many of my friends and family are revolver or single stack fans. They sometimes make the following argument, which I think is legit:
"It's pretty unlikely that I will ever need to shoot another human, and if I do it is more likely than not that 5/8 shots will be enough, therefore I feel comfortable carrying a revolver//single stack."

While I think the above argument is fine, they sometimes say things along the lines of the following, which absolutely drives me up the wall:
"If I can't do it in five shots, I can't do it at all!"

I think the above is a pretty dumb statement. Not that I've heard anyone on ZS say that in a long time. Mostly I hear it in meat space.
This is why i carry my G19 with stock magazine and a GL9 21 round magazine as back up...or 75% im just carrying my J-frame 5 shot 442
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:00 pm

Today I learned that there is such a thing as 9mm rimfire and that it was made for the Winchester Model 36 bolt action shotgun. What would you use a 9mm shotgun shell for?
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Towanda wrote:Today I learned that there is such a thing as 9mm rimfire and that it was made for the Winchester Model 36 bolt action shotgun. What would you use a 9mm shotgun shell for?
Varmits would be my guess.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:38 pm

the_alias wrote:Hating on Glocks just reminds me of hipster beer snobs who sneer at me buying Miller Lite or Budweiser...
Funny/ironic thing is I've always thought the same thing of Glock fan-boys, no offense. :clap:
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:41 pm

I really need to stop going to Academy. Every time I go in that store, I end up leaving with more than I came in for. :lol:

Case in point, I was there yesterday looking for an extended butt pad for the CTR stock I have on my Hungarian AK. I got the butt pad along with an Mlok afg and a 5.11 tactical baseball cap.

If I would've had some extra cash, a nice Ruger Mark 4 .22 pistol would've come home with me. Maybe they'll still have it next year when tax time rolls around and I'll be able to get it then. :clap:

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:52 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Towanda wrote:Today I learned that there is such a thing as 9mm rimfire and that it was made for the Winchester Model 36 bolt action shotgun. What would you use a 9mm shotgun shell for?
Varmits would be my guess.
I did some googling and the Winchester 36 was sometimes referred to as a "garden gun" which I think would backup the varmint/pest control theory.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:59 am

I don't need a faux dissipator. I have other things I need to do first. BUT GODDAMN I WANT TO.

Mk4's are nice, put a few hundred rounds through one a few weeks ago. Going to wait for more aftermarket support though, or for Ruger to come out with a factory threaded model.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:11 pm

Dogan wrote:I don't need a faux dissipator. I have other things I need to do first. BUT GODDAMN I WANT TO.

Mk4's are nice, put a few hundred rounds through one a few weeks ago. Going to wait for more aftermarket support though, or for Ruger to come out with a factory threaded model.
I'd like to see a 22/45 version come out soon, but I'm not sure how that'd work seeing as how they use a polymer frame. Unless they can use an aluminum or steel frame like the others, a 22/45 version probably isn't a possibility.

Still, that's not a deal breaker for me. I like the grip angle, the gun feels great in my hand and the fact it's super easy to take down for cleaning is enough for me to want one.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:48 pm

By that you mean a 22/45 with the Mk4 takedown system right? I think that'll happen in the next few years to be honest. Even with a poly frame all the Mk4 system needs to work is metal indexes for the latches, so with a few tweaks I don't see why they couldn't give a 22/45 the same treatment.

I'm also debating just saving a few hundred by starting with a Mk2 or 3, installing a Majestic speed strip kit, then pour the extra funds into upgrades.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Dogan wrote:By that you mean a 22/45 with the Mk4 takedown system right? I think that'll happen in the next few years to be honest. Even with a poly frame all the Mk4 system needs to work is metal indexes for the latches, so with a few tweaks I don't see why they couldn't give a 22/45 the same treatment.

I'm also debating just saving a few hundred by starting with a Mk2 or 3, installing a Majestic speed strip kit, then pour the extra funds into upgrades.
Yeah, that's what I mean.

I figure it ought to be maybe a year before we see one of those. Maybe that's what Ruger is bringing to SHOT Show next year.

Even so, I still want one and hope to get one next year.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:09 am

In my AO the answer is rattle snakes. I have carried shot shells in my 9mm for snakes while mowing the yard prior to getting a 357mag for snake duty.
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:46 pm

My guess for what use a 9mm Rimfire would have is for snakes and maybe really small game like squirrels.

I've heard of 9mm Rimfire before, but it's been years since I've seen any rounds or even guns for sale. Last time I saw one was back in 2005 at a little hole in the wall type gun shop in Groves Texas.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:25 pm

Probably small birds as well. I'm guessing it's something that can be used in suburbs-level population densities without putting one's neighbors in danger.

I wonder if it was one of those things that was popular in other countries and just never took off over here? My first thought is that being a rimfire it's an old cartridge that had to have gained enough popularity to keep being produced, but it obviously wasn't popular here.

The only other reason I can think for it to be a rimfire is to make the design cheap? It's a single-shot bolt-action of apparently the same design as many older .22 LR rifels, so maybe someone got the idea to just scale it up a bit? Is the 9mm rimfire shotshell based off a 9mm rimfire rifle cartridge that used to be popular?

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:40 pm

they were called garden guns. They were used to remove rodents from the yard. I remember NRA magazine had them for sale for cheap. I seem to remember like ten bucks or so , but I don't remember who the manufacturer was. They were pretty popular in Europe pre war. There was no standard 9mm shell. Seemed like the shells were proprietary to each maker. But the Winchester used the 9mm flobert and so did some others.

German Muchler garden gun Image neat stuff
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:01 pm

I looked to see if there was a image of one of those ads. Couldn't find one .... but did find this makes ya want cry for the good old days. Image
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:12 pm

flybynight wrote:I looked to see if there was a image of one of those ads. Couldn't find one .... but did find this makes ya want cry for the good old days. Image
Someone get me a time machine, some era correct money (lots of it), a big Uhaul trailer and the addresses of gun shops that were around at the time of this ad.

Anyone feel like making a trip to the past for one hell of a shopping spree ? :clap:

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:33 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
flybynight wrote:I looked to see if there was a image of one of those ads. Couldn't find one .... but did find this makes ya want cry for the good old days. Image
Someone get me a time machine, some era correct money (lots of it), a big Uhaul trailer and the addresses of gun shops that were around at the time of this ad.

Anyone feel like making a trip to the past for one hell of a shopping spree ? :clap:
Be sure to pick up some Carl Gustavs, Madsens, and a few 1919's. Stop in at 1985 to say your uncle died and get them all papered. And a PPSH41 for me. If you can't find one I'd be happy with a Goryunov. :wink:

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:33 am

Easiest era correct money for time travel would just be gold ...

I've heard stories of the stores downtown Toronto selling enfields out of 50gallon barrels for $5 each, the "expensive" ones were unissued still in wood crates.
BullOnParade
It has to start somewhere. It has to start sometime. What better place than here? What better time than now?

Bug Out Bag for:
Baby
Dog

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:42 am

Dogan wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Be sure to pick up some Carl Gustavs, Madsens, and a few 1919's. Stop in at 1985 to say your uncle died and get them all papered. And a PPSH41 for me. If you can't find one I'd be happy with a Goryunov. :wink:
Roger that, Dogan. :lol:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”