Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Halfapint wrote:Kinda butt hurt. Went to the LGS yesterday and looked at some of the used guns. They had an LC9 for $125. I looked at it and said I was interested. I asked the guy to see another gun and he got it. I told him that I was still interested in the LC9. I took the G40 and went to the range and shit a mag, can back and another guy was filling out the paperwork for the LC9. :(
[sarcasm] Well, damn, I wouldn't have bought it if I knew that was you.

I'll let you have it for $250. [/sarcasm]

That sucks man. But I can also see the dealers position. A guy on the range 'very interested' vs. a guy in front of me waving money at me.

Still, I'd hate to be the dealer when you came back to the counter. [awkward!]
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:04 pm

Haha I just said I was butt hurt, not that I was angry at the dealer. I get it, "shut up and take my money" trumps hey I might get this in a minute.

And I really didn't NEED another gun, but at that price it's practically free. Oh well I guess I'll just have to go in more often.

I had to shoot the g40 because I had to cancel my order when it first came out. So I think this was the g40's way of mocking me yet again. Damn you glock!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:13 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Dogan wrote:When you say turn it into a carry gun, do you mean just cerakote it or put a Detective slide on it?
Wait, they still make the Detective slides for BHPs ?

Then again, I haven't really looked at BHPs in years so they very well might still be making those and I'm just an idiot. :lol:
They don't to the best of my knowledge, but also to the best of my knowledge they are out there floating around and are just a straight slide swap.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:55 am

Halfapint wrote:Haha I just said I was butt hurt, not that I was angry at the dealer. I get it, "shut up and take my money" trumps hey I might get this in a minute.

And I really didn't NEED another gun, but at that price it's practically free. Oh well I guess I'll just have to go in more often.

I had to shoot the g40 because I had to cancel my order when it first came out. So I think this was the g40's way of mocking me yet again. Damn you glock!
I hate Glocks.

I mean I REALLY - HATE GLOCKS!

I hate the way they feel in my hand.

I hate the way they look.

I hate their magical no safety- safer than a safety- two stage trigger.

I hate how everyone thinks they are the greatest things in small arms since the sling.

I hate how every dealer tries to ram one down your throat when you go gun shopping.

And most of all, I hate their double stack mag that is now standard on just about every hand gun. If you think you actually need a 17 round clip, either you need to practice your shot placement or you need to get the Hell out of whatever war zone your hanging out in.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:24 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
0122358 wrote:
Dogan wrote:When you say turn it into a carry gun, do you mean just cerakote it or put a Detective slide on it?
Cerakote it, new grips, bobbed hammer, paint the sights, extended safety, all new springs and taking out the magazine disconnect.
What color you Cerkote-ing it ?

I've been tempted to Cerakote one of my AKs, but I'm thinking I'll just leave them with the factory finish for the time being.

I do need to get some cold blue for my Hungarian AK since I had to file a bit on the safety notch. It wasn't deep enough and was letting the safety lever go too far up. I've got it sealed up with some clear nail polish, but that's not going to be long term enough for me.
Probably something matte blackish, simular to parkarizing. non-glare "tacticool"
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:44 pm

Booooo! Pink and white zebra stripes or don't bother! :P

ETA: Single stacks are all the rage these days, but I think double stacks usually fit my hand just fine so why not?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:13 pm

I love my Glocks and plan to add another couple to my collection. I kind of want one of those G41 MOS ones, but I don't run an optic on any of my handguns (though it might be a good idea since my eyesight sucks).

I also kind of want one of those Ruger American 9mms, but I already have a 9mm that's relegated to range toy status. Well, that and Glock mags are so damn cheap that I might just grab a G17 and be done with it.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Glock 40 MOS is the next "practical" firearm that I want to get. I don't think I'm going to put an optic on it though.

I will say that the Gen 3 Glock .45/10mm pistols have a grip that's just a tiny bit too big for me. The Gen 4 pistols aren't as bad though.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Halfapint wrote:Haha I just said I was butt hurt, not that I was angry at the dealer. I get it, "shut up and take my money" trumps hey I might get this in a minute.

I hate Glocks.

I hate how everyone thinks they are the greatest things in small arms since the sling.

I hate how every dealer tries to ram one down your throat when you go gun shopping.

And most of all, I hate their double stack mag that is now standard on just about every hand gun. If you think you actually need a 17 round clip, either you need to practice your shot placement or you need to get the Hell out of whatever war zone your hanging out in.
I hear you. I hated my first three Glocks too. They were all 17's. You can't say I didn't try. At the end I hated them passionately. Then I fell in love with .45 HKs. Then the economics of a 9mm made me reconsider. I got a Glock 19. I am disgusted to say that I love it. I don't love it enough to dump my HKs but enough to keep it.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:43 pm

The Gen 3 grips always felt a little odd to me. Like holding a plastic brick that had sat a little too long in the oven and melted weird.

When the Gen 4's came out and they had the replaceable back straps, I took a look at them and they felt really nice. No weird melted plastic feel. I ended up placing an order for a G21 with my FFL dealer and later bought a G41 to compliment it.

I've got a holster for my G21, but I need to get a better one for my G41. I'd like to get one that fits the G41 and the TLR-1s I have on it right now.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:

I hate Glocks.

I hate Glocks too.

When I first started ahooting IDPA in 2005, it seemed luke everybody either shot Glocks or 1911's.

I had a Colt 1911 at the time, that would jam every now and then. I also had a Taurus knock off of the Beretta 92. That gun actually ran well. As money allowed, I upgraded to Beretta, Brig Inox's to be exact.

I still caught a bunch of crap from Glock fanboi's.

I was with you right up to the end though.

Guns are icky!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:44 pm

You are getting sleepy, very sleepy...

Glocks are the best.... Glocks are the best
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:50 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote: And most of all, I hate their double stack mag that is now standard on just about every hand gun. If you think you actually need a 17 round clip, either you need to practice your shot placement or you need to get the Hell out of whatever war zone your hanging out in.
You don't always get to pick your fights. And suppressive fire is a thing. So is pucker factor.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:44 pm

quazi wrote:Booooo! Pink and white zebra stripes or don't bother! :P

ETA: Single stacks are all the rage these days, but I think double stacks usually fit my hand just fine so why not?

Double stack grips fit my hands much better in a two-handed grip - with the two best in my safe being the CZ-97 and Beretta 92FS, two guns whose grip size is often complained about.

Now, for a one hand grip, 1911 all day long.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:01 am

I didn't mean to start something...........

Yeah, I can't even type that with a straight face.

I believe in unfettered capitalism.

I don't like Glock = I don't buy Glock

You do like Glock = you do buy Glock

I just get tired of walking into gun stores and saying 'I want ----', and the first thing out if every (and I do mean every) dealer's mouth is 'well, I have this Glock'.

And what really pisses me off, and this happened last weekend, is when I go in and show the dealer the gun I want on my phone (early Beretta 92s we were discussing last week) and ask them to handle the transfer, and they say 'oh, we can't do that (even though they did it back in July for my birthday)- but we can sell you this Glock we have in stock. It's a 10mm, but that's close enough to what you want, right?'

Yeah, I guess if would be except for the years I've been spending buying and storing 9mm.

9mm please, and preferably the one I asked for.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:28 pm

I hate Glocks, when I got my first real handgun I went and looked all around and tried to love Glocks. I just couldn't, hated the grips, hated the feel, hated everything about them. Then the G40 came out, with the Gen4 grip, and butter smooth action...... love. love love love.

Plus a 10mm with 6" bbl <3
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote: And most of all, I hate their double stack mag that is now standard on just about every hand gun. If you think you actually need a 17 round clip, either you need to practice your shot placement or you need to get the Hell out of whatever war zone your hanging out in.
:roll: What a stupid and ignorant statement.
Man is a beast of prey

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:16 pm

The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:14 am

the_alias wrote:
:roll: What a stupid and ignorant statement.
What an incredibly inflammatory and divisive statement that is~ I wasn't aware that we had trolls for mods on these boards.

It wasn't enough to simply say you disagree with me, as other non~moderating members have, you had to question the intelligence of the statement and vicariously the intelligence of it's author.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:54 am

I make stupid and ignorant statements from time to time and get called out for it, it's nothing special. People who don't get surrounded by "yes men" who never challenge them or evolve their thinking. One of the reasons I always liked ZS is you'll get called out for being wrong, stupid, and ignorant.

I've never heard anyone from people who have been in a firefight tell me "I wish I had less ammunition" - it seems easy to extrapolate this would apply in a worst case civilian self defense situation as well.

Shot placement is great; on the range. Can you guarantee you're going to react as your body dumps a huge amount of adrenaline, you're fighting back potentially having taken some kind of ambush sucker punch, against another moving human who is trying to hurt or kill you? Lets consider that most criminal encounters will also involve more than one attacker, criminals operate to win so they want a numerical advantage. They will also more than likely be armed.

What do bullets do? I mean unless you hit the spine you're just punching holes in someone - it isn't Hollywood where they magically drop to the ground - they will be jacked up. Someone holding a knife or impact weapon can continue to stab and batter you whilst taking bullet wounds UNLESS they hit that spinal cord. It seems a good idea to give yourself as many opportunities as possible to stop your attacker, that means more bullets. More rounds in magazines.

Here look at this video:
2 attackers
Both are armed
Man is a beast of prey

Hiroshima_Morphine

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:34 am

Ok, I get that....

In fact, I'm all the time telling my wife I hope she never gets in a situation where she needs her EDC. The obvious reasons aside, she carries a Beretta Pico (6 shot mag, .380 auto). Add to that- she does not practice with it as much as I would like her to. I've told her she basically carries a talisman.

As I eluded to here, and directly said in previous conversations in this thread: I don't like large guns because I have small hands. But I carry a Taurus 92 clone that takes a 15 round mag. And I'm looking to get a Berretta of the same configuration- and for me personally, the difference from 15 to 17 is not that great- but a 6/7 round mag I would not even consider carrying. So when I say 'if you need a 17 round mag... blah blah blah ass-hat bullshit' I'm saying my 15 round mag I enough for me, why not you?

When I say 'I hate double stack mags' well that is true- but I was mostly trying to back it up with some facts and opinions other than saying 'I can't load a double stack mag' which is also true. A mag with a 50 round capacity is still a 10 round mag if I can only load 10 rounds in it.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:23 am

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:'I can't load a double stack mag' which is also true. A mag with a 50 round capacity is still a 10 round mag if I can only load 10 rounds in it.
Maglula. $15 gets you a device that makes it very simple to load even 33rd stupidsticks.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:32 am

I have to jump on the I hate locks train too. I just don't like the feel of them and I don't like the grip angle. I do carry a Springfield XD every day. That being said I alternate between the 9mm 40 S&W and 45ACP as I felt it necessary to collect the whole set so which one I have on me depends on my mood that day and which one I grab before heading out the door. My wife carries a Taurus pt111 daily. I have tried to get her to carry something else but she likes the Taurus. I even took her to the LGS and offered to get her anything she wanted out of the case and she didn't even want to look at anything else.

In different news there are three less elk in AZ as of earlier this week. Two were taken with my DPMS Oracle LR-308 at 300 meters with a bushnell TRS-25 red dot and a Primary Arms 3x Magnifier and using my 185gr reloads. Hanging weights on all three were 260lbs, 261lbs and 289lbs. My wife is working on cleaning out freezers to make room for them when the processer is done with them.
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:45 pm

If it wasn't for the Gen 4 Glocks having the replaceable back straps, I'd probably never have bought two of them.

In regards to the Maglula things, I need to pick up a couple of them so it makes loading the Mec-Gar P89 mags a lot easier. The springs on those are really stiff and it takes a bit to get the last three rounds in them. Especially on the 17 rounders.

Probably wouldn't hurt if I got a MagLula for my AKs either.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”