Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Does your brother know he's getting a gun for Christmas ?

If he does and knows what kind it's going to be, I'd think he'd be happy with either one. That's just my thinking, though. I'd be really happy just to get a gun for Christmas anyway. Especially if it was a Finnish Mosin.

I've been wanting one for years, but since I already have a Russian Mosin that never gets used, I fear the Finnish Mosin would just sit there as well.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:54 pm

Nope, he has no idea.

Actually, I don't know why I'm worrying about it, as my mom is the one giving the rifles as presents so she's the one who would decide.

I know I'll be happy with either, as long as the one I get isn't complete garbage.

Bonus: I get to play with them before Christmas.
Penalty: I get to clean all the cosmoline out of them. :gonk:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:46 pm

While you're cleaning the cosmoline out of them, I guess you can see for yourself which one is the better of the two and see if your mother would give you that one.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:54 pm

I don't know that I'd mind getting the worse one. I want my brother to have a good rifle too.

I'm not super worried about it because I've already got piles of bolt-action rifles, so I don't need it to be really accurate or smooth and if it looks rough that just adds character.

Then again, my brother is in the same boat as me, so I won't cry for him if I get the better one. :lol:

I'm still bitter about him getting the good snowmobile though. :evil:

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:04 pm

I have two M39s - one Sako, one VKT (Valmet), both 1942 vintage. I haven't noticed any difference in quality. (They sit next to an SA-marked 1917 Remington m1891 in the safe. I like Finnish Mosins.)

One thing about the M39s - they are very noticably heavier than an m1891 or 91/30. Heavy enough to beat a polar bear to death in an emergency. :awesome:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:34 pm

Cerakote...

A critical tactical consideration?

-or-

A silly vain affectation?
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Langenator wrote:I have two M39s - one Sako, one VKT (Valmet), both 1942 vintage. I haven't noticed any difference in quality. (They sit next to an SA-marked 1917 Remington m1891 in the safe. I like Finnish Mosins.)
Yeah, from what I've read and the reviews I've seen there doesn't seem to be any difference in quality between Sako and Valmet. I was more thinking that the quality difference would be due to them being old surplus. Like, I could have ordered two Sakos and one would probably be better than the other. I guess there's no use in worrying about it until they show up.
Dabster wrote:Cerakote...

-or-

Neither? I mean, it does have certain advantages over spray paint, but it costs more. I guess it's silly and vain in the sense that unless you are in an environment that encourages rust or you spend a lot of time dragging the firearm around on rocks you probably won't see the practical benefits of cerakote as I understand them.

I guess the question is if it's coming out of your "serious business" budget or your fun budget. If it's the latter, then who cares?

I don't see anything wrong with painting firearms in general (other than maybe doing something really stupid like painting an orange tip on the end of a barrel). Some paint jobs seem cool to me, some seem ugly or stupid, but that's personal taste.

There are some people that are dead set against ever painting firearms, because it's not "serious" or something. Humans have been decorating and customizing everything around them, including very serious things, for pretty much all of human history. As long as it doesn't compromise the firearm's functionality, keep you from using it how you want for fear of marring it, or potentially get you in legal trouble then I say go for it.

I haven't painted any of my firearms. I'm thinking about going full-retard on my Savage bolt-action .223 and giving it a krylon snow camo paint job, just for funsies.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:06 am

Dabster wrote:Cerakote...

-or-

Yes!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:50 pm

My only cerakoted gun is maroon with a Texas A&M logo.

Because it's fun.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:40 pm

I'm trying to keep myself from spending money for the sake of spending money, but damn there are some great deals out there right now. Classic Firearms has police trade-in Beretta 92, Glock 21 and Glock 22 for $300.

ETA: I've seen similar prices on Beretta 92 and Glock 22 elsewhere, but I don't usually see such good deals on Glock 21.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:13 pm

quazi wrote:I'm trying to keep myself from spending money for the sake of spending money, but damn there are some great deals out there right now. Classic Firearms has police trade-in Beretta 92, Glock 21 and Glock 22 for $300.

ETA: I've seen similar prices on Beretta 92 and Glock 22 elsewhere, but I don't usually see such good deals on Glock 21.
That's a good price for a Glock 21. Given the price, I'm going to assume it's a Gen 3 model.
Either way, if I had some extra cash, I'd jump on one.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Langenator wrote:My only cerakoted gun is maroon with a Texas A&M logo.

Because it's fun.
I have a few PMags that turned out Aggie Maroon when I was experimenting with different dyes to match the pink furniture on my daughter's rifle. A&M is one of my son's top choices when he heads off to college next year, but if he winds up somewhere else they're yours if you want 'em.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:26 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
quazi wrote:I'm trying to keep myself from spending money for the sake of spending money, but damn there are some great deals out there right now. Classic Firearms has police trade-in Beretta 92, Glock 21 and Glock 22 for $300.

That's a good price for a Glock 21. Given the price, I'm going to assume it's a Gen 3 model.

That's a great price for a 21! If you don't grab it I may just have to...

Just sent my G21 frame off to Damato Custom Stippling last week (he's finally back from deployment and taking orders again) and if it turns out as well as I hope, want to do a matching one for my son.

Edit: already gone! :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:21 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

That's a great price for a 21! If you don't grab it I may just have to...

Just sent my G21 frame off to Damato Custom Stippling last week (he's finally back from deployment and taking orders again) and if it turns out as well as I hope, want to do a matching one for my son.

Edit: already gone! :lol:
Dude, go for it. :lol:

Sadly, I'm not going to have any free cash for guns until next year, so I'm going to end up missing out on the year end gun deals. Gives me time to decide just what I want to buy, though.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:53 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Langenator wrote:My only cerakoted gun is maroon with a Texas A&M logo.

Because it's fun.
I have a few PMags that turned out Aggie Maroon when I was experimenting with different dyes to match the pink furniture on my daughter's rifle. A&M is one of my son's top choices when he heads off to college next year, but if he winds up somewhere else they're yours if you want 'em.

A&M is a great school. I got my Master's (U.S. History) here in 2013. When I finished up, I told the History graduate program director that I would happily send my kids here if they were old enough.

The shotgun in question is a CZ-712 that I use for 3-gun.

Fortunis Fortus Paratus

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:32 pm

I don't have feeling one way or the other about Texas A&M, but I like the maroon.

If I ever paint my .300 win mag I was thinking maroon.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 pm

Well, I got my armor today. I just need to get another couple mag pouches for it and I should be good to go regarding my set up.

Pictures will be coming as soon as I can get Photobucket to work properly and not screw me over.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:10 am

I seriously want to cerakote my only 2 tone gun. Black and chrome does not appeal to me at all.

But I'm debating, do I want to go tuxedo black on slide and barrel or go :clownshoes: international distress orange or lemon meringue yellow?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:25 pm

Yup, ive got the bug, I'm going to turn my BHP into a carry gun.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:10 pm

When you say turn it into a carry gun, do you mean just cerakote it or put a Detective slide on it?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Dogan wrote:When you say turn it into a carry gun, do you mean just cerakote it or put a Detective slide on it?
Wait, they still make the Detective slides for BHPs ?

Then again, I haven't really looked at BHPs in years so they very well might still be making those and I'm just an idiot. :lol:

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Dogan wrote:When you say turn it into a carry gun, do you mean just cerakote it or put a Detective slide on it?
Cerakote it, new grips, bobbed hammer, paint the sights, extended safety, all new springs and taking out the magazine disconnect.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:54 pm

0122358 wrote:
Cerakote it, new grips, bobbed hammer, paint the sights, extended safety, all new springs and taking out the magazine disconnect.
What color you Cerkote-ing it ?

I've been tempted to Cerakote one of my AKs, but I'm thinking I'll just leave them with the factory finish for the time being.

I do need to get some cold blue for my Hungarian AK since I had to file a bit on the safety notch. It wasn't deep enough and was letting the safety lever go too far up. I've got it sealed up with some clear nail polish, but that's not going to be long term enough for me.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:33 pm

Kinda butt hurt. Went to the LGS yesterday and looked at some of the used guns. They had an LC9 for $125. I looked at it and said I was interested. I asked the guy to see another gun and he got it. I told him that I was still interested in the LC9. I took the G40 and went to the range and shit a mag, can back and another guy was filling out the paperwork for the LC9. :(
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”