Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Dabster

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by Dabster » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:34 am

quazi wrote:How concealable are hard plates? I'd imagine soft armor would be more concealable, but I'm just guessing.
Soft armor is much more concealable but hard plates can be concealed. I regularly wear a TAG banshee with front and rear lvl4 plates when I walk my dog in the evening. I am sure if someone looked closely they might suspect I had something under my coat but I doubt they could be certain enough to bother me. I just go from about average to a bit chunky.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:23 pm

On the subject of armor and carriers, I finally got myself a trauma kit for my PIG UCR and I need a bigger pouch to hold all the stuff I've been told I need for a blowout kit.

Anyone got any recommendations on good med kit pouches and other stuff I need to put into them ?

I know I need a tourniquet and some EMT shears, but after that I have no idea. The trauma kit I bought came with a Quik-Clot sponge and some other stuff, but that's pretty much it.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:13 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:On the subject of armor and carriers, I finally got myself a trauma kit for my PIG UCR and I need a bigger pouch to hold all the stuff I've been told I need for a blowout kit.

Anyone got any recommendations on good med kit pouches and other stuff I need to put into them ?

I know I need a tourniquet and some EMT shears, but after that I have no idea. The trauma kit I bought came with a Quik-Clot sponge and some other stuff, but that's pretty much it.
Milspec monkey makes a TQ/shear pouch that works great.

ITS tactical has a moto auto-retractor for shears.

If you're really cheap on ebay I've found single 40mm grenade pouches make great TQ pouches for like 5 bucks.

as for a BOK, more experienced minds can answer that but I've got QC gauze, an NPA, a 14 gauge decomp needle, a HALO chest seal, two izzy bandages, and kerlix compressed guaze, and two TQs in my chest rig
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks, Numbers.

I'll check out those pouches you mentioned and look for some of those blowout kit items as well.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:24 am

Stopped raining for a minute so I shot the H&R.

Double-action trigger is bad. Single-action is decent.

Top-break ejection is really fun, as is shooting revolvers when it starts getting dim outside.

Not sure what distance it was last sighted in for, but it's hitting crazy high. What would be a good distance to sight a .22 handgun in for?

Took the scope off the Remington. It looks like they drilled pretty deep, and the hole is right in front of the chamber. They didn't drill all the way through, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to have a screw in there while shooting it. That would keep rain and dirt out as well. The screw that was in there obscures the sight picture just enough to be annoying. Maybe I should fill the hole in with something instead of using a screw?

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:39 am

Man, I like those H&R top breaks. Yours looks like new. I just never seem to make the purchase happen on those. I bet a GS could slick up the trigger on that thing for you. I had an H&R 22lr/mag combo with the pinned barrel. It was pretty accurate. I had it sighted in at about 20 yards. It was a nice little squirrel popper.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:03 pm

brothaman wrote:I bet a GS could slick up the trigger on that thing for you.
How much does that kind of work usually cost?

The trigger seems pretty comparable to my stepmother's Taurus 94 revolver.

I'm actually not unhappy with it, as I knew this model of revolver had a reputation for a heavy trigger before I bought it.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:43 pm

It depends on the smith, I guess. My guy does it for about $75 bucks. But he keeps at it until you're happy. That's just polishing and honing and maybe springs. But, my understanding it that, depending on the gun, could be anywhere from $50-$150. But my guess is about $75. Some folks don't think its worth it, but I like what I like. I think a good trigger job can make a gun you sort of like into a gun you really like.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:49 pm

I might have to look into that. If it was going to be too expensive I'd rather just put the money towards a third .22 LR handgun.

Once I move I need to dig out my leatherworking tools. This one seems to call for a flap holster, which shouldn't be too hard for a noob like me. Maybe with an Imperial Aquila.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:47 pm

I need to find a gunsmith out here to install my night sights on my Glock 21. I could buy a sight pusher and do it myself, but I'd feel better having a pro do it.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:10 pm

When I changed the sights on my G29 it wasn't very difficult, but it was kind of frustrating to have to guess about whether or not the sights were centered. I just eyeballed it and hoped. There's probably a better way that I'm just not familiar with.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:44 am

Put a Sigp226 on layaway, 1988 manufacture, same age as me :clap:
Man is a beast of prey

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:32 am

the_alias wrote:Put a Sigp226 on layaway, 1988 manufacture, same age as me :clap:
That's pretty cool. I enjoy owning firearms that are older than me, but it would be fun to find something I like from the same year that I was born (1986).

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Speaking of old guns, I almost bought an old 16 gauge single shot today. Only reasons I stopped myself from doing so is that I have no need for one and ammo is a pain to find out here.

I still want a single shot rifle of some kind, but I might just save up for one of those Uberti Quigley rifle repros instead of buying someone else's Bubba'd shotgun.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:21 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Speaking of old guns, I almost bought an old 16 gauge single shot today. Only reasons I stopped myself from doing so is that I have no need for one and ammo is a pain to find out here.

I still want a single shot rifle of some kind, but I might just save up for one of those Uberti Quigley rifle repros instead of buying someone else's Bubba'd shotgun.
Quigley's are delightful, 45/70's are delightful. IF you want a true repro, the company that made the rifles for Tom Selleck (he trained extensively to actually make the shots in the movie. He kept a few IIRC) and the movie do still make them, and they produce the Quigley spec model in particular still. However they are $3,464.

https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sha ... -clone-en/
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:35 pm

Dogan wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Speaking of old guns, I almost bought an old 16 gauge single shot today. Only reasons I stopped myself from doing so is that I have no need for one and ammo is a pain to find out here.

Quigley's are delightful, 45/70's are delightful. IF you want a true repro, the company that made the rifles for Tom Selleck (he trained extensively to actually make the shots in the movie. He kept a few IIRC) and the movie do still make them, and they produce the Quigley spec model in particular still. However they are $3,464.

https://shilohrifle.com/rifles/1874-sha ... -clone-en/
Yeah, that's not going to happen. I really do not want to drop almost $3,500 on a gun that'll most likely end up gathering dust in my safe. I'd be afraid of dinging the wood or gouging the metal or something. I'll find one of those H&R Buffalo rifles in .45-70 and have a pseudo-Quigley gun. Those are only around 450-ish. Gives me plenty of extra funds for ammo and maybe a hat like Tom Selleck wore. :clap:

I don't feel too bad about banging around my AK's, but they didn't cost near as much as one of those Quigley guns. Not even if I put the cost of them together.

If I'm spending a grand or more on a gun, it'll be either a DDI AK or that Daniel Defense AR I found at the local Academy store.

(And the movie guns were in .45-110. At least one was, anyway. Tom Selleck had the others made in .45-70 because even the blank .45-110 rounds were bruising the hell out of his shoulder)

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Why are Don Hume holsters so difficult to obtain?
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Towanda wrote:Why are Don Hume holsters so difficult to obtain?
I guess it's because they're made from unicorn hide or something.

The severe lack of availability of those holsters made me go with a Blade Tech holster for my G21.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:12 pm

I like single-shots, both rifles and shotguns. I think it would be cool to own a single-shot handgun some day too, but it's not on my short list.

I had to restrain myself from buying a bubba'd single-shot 10 gauge the other day. I would like to get one some day for what I'm thinking of as "Project Choad".

Is it important to you that the single-shot be a cowboy caliber?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:47 pm

quazi wrote:

I like single-shots, both rifles and shotguns. I think it would be cool to own a single-shot handgun some day too, but it's not on my short list.

I had to restrain myself from buying a bubba'd single-shot 10 gauge the other day. I would like to get one some day for what I'm thinking of as "Project Choad".

Not really. I'd like to get one in 7.62x39 so I could share ammo with my AKs, but I don't know of any.

So if I get one, I'd like to get one in either a rifle caliber or maybe .357 magnum.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:39 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
quazi wrote:

Not really. I'd like to get one in 7.62x39 so I could share ammo with my AKs, but I don't know of any.

So if I get one, I'd like to get one in either a rifle caliber or maybe .357 magnum.
CVA Scout. $300, rifle or pistol, comes in .357, .44, and a handful of rifle calibers, based on the same action the Contender uses, with the trigger guard as the release instead of the lever on the back like aneat H&R shotgun.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:28 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
quazi wrote:

Just to muddy the waters - Rossi's matched pairs/sets/etc might be a good idea too. Selection isn't as wide as just getting stand alone single shots, but you can get a .44mag/20 gauge or a .223/20 gauge for ~$300
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:57 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Not really. I'd like to get one in 7.62x39 so I could share ammo with my AKs, but I don't know of any.

CVA Scout. $300, rifle or pistol, comes in .357, .44, and a handful of rifle calibers, based on the same action the Contender uses, with the trigger guard as the release instead of the lever on the back like aneat H&R shotgun.
H&R, Rossi and Baikal/Remington all used to make 7.62x39 single-shots.

Is the CVA Scout the same as the Baikal rifles that Remington was importing as their Spartan line?

Ruger made their No. 1 in 7.62x39, and there are probably 7.62x39 T/C Contenders out there, but those are probably both more than you'd want to spend.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:13 am

00dlez wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
quazi wrote:

Just to muddy the waters - Rossi's matched pairs/sets/etc might be a good idea too. Selection isn't as wide as just getting stand alone single shots, but you can get a .44mag/20 gauge or a .223/20 gauge for ~$300
I would hesitate on the Rossi matched pairs, lots of stories of bad barrels in rifle calibers.
quazi wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Not really. I'd like to get one in 7.62x39 so I could share ammo with my AKs, but I don't know of any.

H&R, Rossi and Baikal/Remington all used to make 7.62x39 single-shots.

Is the CVA Scout the same as the Baikal rifles that Remington was importing as their Spartan line?

Ruger made their No. 1 in 7.62x39, and there are probably 7.62x39 T/C Contenders out there, but those are probably both more than you'd want to spend.
AFAIK no, different manufacturers, and I believe the CVA more resembles the Contender. I haven't handled the Baikal, but it looks more like a Ruger No1 action. Neat guns.

CVA also makes the Apex, which is the same action with interchangeable barrels, like a budget Encore rifle. If one wanted to experiment with reloading, caliber swaps, oddball calibers (say you just want to shoot 10 rounds of .460SW every year), or lightweight a stupid-simple rifles, the Encore is a decent choice often overlooked by hunters who rely on a follow-up shot instead of first-round accuracy.

Not to mention, the aftermarket is big enough that you can make all kinds of neat stuff. MGM and SSK will make any barrel you want in any length in any chamber, even custom-reaming to a dummy if you want perfect match fit, in any twist rate, with all manner of fluting, finishing, and threading to boot. 21" stainless 6mm-06 with an extra-long throat and barbed wire fluting? Cool. 9" melonited .500SW with 8 flutes, a custom fast twist, and dragon head muzzle brake? Done. .338 Spectre, 6 flutes, heavy profile 10" custom turned for a reflex mount and done in black melonite with iron sights and a one-piece mount? Just send cash and they'll start firing it up.

Getting rid of the magazine does happen to alleviate the issues with snowflake rounds.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”