Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by 00dlez » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:14 am

quazi wrote:Signed up for an Appleseed shoot next month. Trying to decide between taking my AR, or borrowing my mom's 10/22. (My .22 has a tube mag and a 4x scope, so it doesn't seem like a good option.)

I'm leaning towards 10/22 to save money, especially since it's all at 25m. It would be nice to get some instruction on my AR though.

I guess some people take both, but I'm not sure how the training is structured so I don't know how well that actually works.
Appleseeds are great for experienced shooters and newbies a like - good choice. I've been to 3 myself, most recently was last weekend.

I would highly recommend taking both, but only bust out the AR if the 10/22 goes down for some reason or, my personal favorite, you manage to shoot a rifleman score and can enjoy some celebratory centerfire action!

As you mentioned, the 10/22 will save you some ammo cost, which is great, but isn't entirely why I'd recommend it. Not sure what you meant exactly by "get some instruction on my AR", but in my experience there is limited instruction on the equipment. They will help the newbies if they need it - "How do I lock the bolt back?" "Where is the mag release?" etc, but that's about it. Majority of the instruction is focused building a stable shooting position (standing, sitting, and prone), establishing a breathing pattern, how to pull the trigger, how to adjust sights/scopes, etc.

I took my first/only rifle, a M&P 15-22, with me to my first appleseed and learned a lot, but the AR-style platform - compared to your basic 22 rifles - is overly complex for what the class is focusing on and really just gets in the way.

Extended magazines get in the way of arm placements (especially prone), the charging handle is likewise a pain (I'm admittedly ignorant of the 10/22 bolt release, but I imagine it's at lease a little more simple), pistol grip detracts slightly for what they are teaching, and it's over all just bulkier.

I've taken my marlin 795 to the last two shoots and have been much happier. Not sure what sights/optics are on your 10/22 and AR, but I'd use this hierarchy to influence your choice:
Iron sights > scope > peep sights > red dot

In general, my shoots have gone like this (in terms of shooting instruction):
Day 1 -
1) safety instructions
2) shoot a redcoat (series of targets to generally gauge overall class skill)
3) shoot a few groups on grind paper, learn to adjust sights and review some basic "shooter errors" that can be seen in the groups (ie. "This vertical string of shots likely is caused by lack of breath control while shooting")
4) learn prone position, shoot some groups
5) learn seated position, shoot some groups
6) learn standing position, shoot some groups
7) Shoot an Army Qualification Test (AQT)
8) Maybe shoot more AQTs, maybe review some basics the class is generally struggling with (ie. class didn't shoot well at all sitting - go back and review it)
9) shoot another redcoat to see how people are improving

Day 2 -
1) safety instructions
2) shoot a redcoat
3) shoot an AQT
4-?) shoot more AQTs, learn and do some other drills (ex: ball and dummy)
??) Learn some known distance shooting info
???) More AQTs
Last) final redcoat
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks, it's nice to have a rough idea how things will go.

I shot my mom's 10/22 last night, and I had forgotten how much I dislike it. It has a small, youth-sized stock and I don't like the factory iron sights it has. I guess I could order some Tech Sights and still come out ahead monetarily. I also need to pick up some sling studs and swivels for it.

I could also buy a 795 and come out about even. My cousin has one and it seems like a nice rifle. They even make a version specifically for Appleseed.

I could yank the scope off my Model 60, but that wouldn't fix the tube-fed problem.

My AR has a Vortex Spitfire 1x and BUIS. I have a 20-round mag for prone shooting, but I can see how it could be more of a pain.

Edit: Or maybe this is just the excuse I need to buy the CMMG conversion kit.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:34 pm

Sling is a must - doesn't have to be a GI web sling that they preach, but at least a 2 point sling.

1 stage of the AQT requires a mag change while prone, 2x20 round mags and you'll be good to go with the AR.

Youth stock on the ruger with the stock peep sights...? hmm...

Based on all that info - I'd recommend pulling the red dot off for the weekend and running the AR with a 2 point sling and your BUIS.

I wouldn't recommend the marlin (or any other stock 22) that doesn't have full irons if you have other options.

FWIW - I scored my Marlin 795 on sale for >$140 out the door. $70 for tech sights. $15 2 point sling/swivels, and $60 for 3 extra 10 round mags.... Don't think you have the time for shipping/deal hunting etc., but just listing it here for others in the future. I also have sight-through rings and a x4 scope on it, but it was throwing me off early into the shoot last weekend so I just pulled it of and ran irons.

Shot a 200 on my 3rd/most recent appleseed, which I don't think is too bad considering I didn't own/shoot a gun in any practiced manor prior to >2.5 years ago.

EDIT: Had in my head you had a shoot this weekend, not next month. With a month and $400 (including ammo and registration cost) you could set-up a marlin 795 no problem... If you are looking for an excuse for a new toy, THAT is what I'd recommend :)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:55 pm

Anyone shoot one of those Rossi Mare's leg? Some kind of lever action pistol from the hay day of TV Westerns.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Stercutus wrote:Anyone shoot one of those Rossi Mare's leg? Some kind of lever action pistol from the hay day of TV Westerns.
Everynight in my dreams :clap:

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Stercutus wrote:Anyone shoot one of those Rossi Mare's leg? Some kind of lever action pistol from the hay day of TV Westerns.
And more importantly, Zoe's sidearm from Firefly! :-D

I've used one. It didn't impress me... had a hell of a time getting anything close to accurate shots out of it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Akin wrote:

I've used one. It didn't impress me... had a hell of a time getting anything close to accurate shots out of it.
Funny thing. They're a pistol in America and a rifle in Canada. We can put a full sized stock on them and take them hunting. But I couldn't shoot them at my pistol range because we're not permitted to shoot centre fire rifles, but a 357 revolver with a 12" barrel would be okay!
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:59 pm

It was a handy looking size, nice ballistics with a 12" barrel... but Rossi..... :|
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Akin wrote:

That seems to be a common issue with the Mare's Legs. Some folks use a particular load and file down the sights to suit it.

I'd like to get one just for the heck of it, but I've already got a gun that fits the "kinda useless but still fun" role and that's my Mosin. :lol:

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:01 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Akin wrote:

That seems to be a common issue with the Mare's Legs. Some folks use a particular load and file down the sights to suit it.

I'd like to get one just for the heck of it, but I've already got a gun that fits the "kinda useless but still fun" role and that's my Mosin. :lol:
BLASPHEMER!!!

:-D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:29 pm

Stercutus wrote:It was a handy looking size, nice ballistics with a 12" barrel... but Rossi..... :|
I'll just leave this here ...
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Akin wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Akin wrote:

BLASPHEMER!!!

:-D
Speaking of my Mosin, I really need to take it out to the range and shoot it again. I haven't shot my Mosin in about 5 years. :shock:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:23 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Stercutus wrote:It was a handy looking size, nice ballistics with a 12" barrel... but Rossi..... :|
I'll just leave this here ...
Probably a lot nicer but at twice the price it moves to an expensive gun for a backpack gun.
You go over and under
I go through

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:55 am

I have the .45 LV. Rough, about like any other Rossi lever, functional. I don't like the big loop, it's too big, and what it needs more than anything is some engraving, threading, and a full length stock. You can't shoulder it, can't really get a cheek weld, so the best case would be tapping it for a small red dot or pistol scope.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:09 pm

quazi wrote:Signed up for an Appleseed shoot next month. Trying to decide between taking my AR, or borrowing my mom's 10/22. (My .22 has a tube mag and a 4x scope, so it doesn't seem like a good option.)

I'm leaning towards 10/22 to save money, especially since it's all at 25m. It would be nice to get some instruction on my AR though.

I guess some people take both, but I'm not sure how the training is structured so I don't know how well that actually works.
If the 10/22 has Tech sights or some other aperture sight, I'd use that. Also a sling attachment point.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Does anyone still use a OWB friction holster? I was cleaning up and realized mine have all been relegated to non-use.
You go over and under
I go through

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:Does anyone still use a OWB friction holster? I was cleaning up and realized mine have all been relegated to non-use.
a what?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:45 pm

0122358 wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Does anyone still use a OWB friction holster? I was cleaning up and realized mine have all been relegated to non-use.
a what?
I think he means a holster with no active retention system (think Serpa or other types) and just holds the gun in by simple friction.

I could be wrong, though.

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:59 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
0122358 wrote:
a what?
I think he means a holster with no active retention system (think Serpa or other types) and just holds the gun in by simple friction.

I could be wrong, though.
Think you're correct, plus "Outside the Waste Band"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:01 am

That's all I use. To go IWB would require replacing every pair of pants I own.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:31 am

Yes, Friction holster outside the waist band.

Yeah I don't believe in open or even OWB carry of pistols without an active retention system anymore. Was wondering what others were doing.
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:29 am

I'm currently using a Blade Tech holster (not sure of the exact model) for my Glock 21 and I think it just has an adjustable retention screw. Being a left handed pistol shooter kind of limits my choices in holsters so I was happy to get that one for a decent price. The one custom holster I own is very similar to the Blade Tech one, but it cost me nearly 80 bucks whereas the Blade Tech one was about 50 ish on Amazon.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:14 pm

I've decided to stick to .223 for the Appleseed class, partly because I wouldn't be able to get together 500 rounds of the same brand of decently accurate .22 LR ammunition.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:58 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I'm currently using a Blade Tech holster (not sure of the exact model) for my Glock 21 and I think it just has an adjustable retention screw. Being a left handed pistol shooter kind of limits my choices in holsters so I was happy to get that one for a decent price. The one custom holster I own is very similar to the Blade Tech one, but it cost me nearly 80 bucks whereas the Blade Tech one was about 50 ish on Amazon.
I'm currently using a blade tech phantom for my G19, Its the cheapest holster ive gotten for my glock, and yet I can carry it iwb in the more comfortable way I've ever carried
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”