Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by shrapnel » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:18 pm

The two of you need to take it to PM. This isn't necessarily the end of mod action on this, but for now, calm down or fight in private.

Ditto anyone else who wants to weigh in.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:43 pm

I know its off topic, but its time sensitive so im asking because this thread is active and flowing

Will the standard surplus BDUs have the ability to accept a 1.75 inch riggers belt? I'm thinking of jumping of SOEs 30% off sale, but want to make sure I could wear the belt

Thanks yall.

Firearms related. Bought 250 rounds for my J-Frame for 12 bucks a box online at Freedom.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:05 pm

Due to repeatedly breaking Rule 3. in particular, Doctorr Fabulous; after discussion between the Moderators, you have been placed in timeout.

However, it also behooves me to remind other users that we have an ignore function for any user you feel is adding more noise than signal to your experience here on the ZS forums.

Simply click on the profile of the person you wish would stop ruing your internet time, and underneath their name are two buttons, Add friend and Add foe. A foe's posts will not appear and will cease to inconvenience you.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:11 pm

Stercutus wrote:
For another $150 you might as well get a brand new one. It will be warranted to be just as jacked up.
I did not know they were still selling for $400. Any links? Not that I am in the market anymore, but I do like to fantasize. :D

Bearcat wrote:I don't think a lot of those are open action...I fail to see how the Cetme or BAR are open action guns like the vz, garand, m14 on mini 14 are. You have the mac 10 and tech 9 on that list ....
Seems to me there was some confusion between "open action" and "open bolt" guns?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:13 pm

uhhhhhhhhhhh :?:

meanwhile I lost my stupid nra class thingy and will need to re-take for ccw in VA. Good news: on line classes allowed :clownshoes:

Anybody blow their child's inheritance on black friday? I bought 10 mags. And a uhd 48" tv, but that was last week.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:31 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
For another $150 you might as well get a brand new one. It will be warranted to be just as jacked up.
I did not know they were still selling for $400. Any links? Not that I am in the market anymore, but I do like to fantasize. :D
http://www.slickguns.com/product/eotech ... mbers-only

Gotta be a member, but they tend to run good sales if you are buying.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:49 pm

I think FreeThought was confusing 'open action' with weapons that fire from an open bolt.

With the latter, the bolt locks to the rear when not firing. This is the norm for most belt feds and many subguns.

Open action means that the weapons action lacks a dust cover, and thus is wide open when the bolt is to the rear. In most cases, this will only be when the mag runs dry during firing, or r if the bolt is deliberately locked to the rear. The default bolt position is forward, in which position the bolt itself blocks stuff from getting into the action. Examples of this type include the vz-58, the AG-42b, the Hakim, the FN-49, the Garand, M1 carbine, and M-14.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:52 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Anybody blow their child's inheritance on black friday? I bought 10 mags. And a uhd 48" tv, but that was last week.
I spent more money than I intended. PSA has (or had) Vortex spitfire's for $150, so I went ahead and bought one of those.

I was going to drill my stock Ruger hand guard to attach a Magpul cantilever mount, but Magpul had their old MOE hand guard for $18 so I figure I should just get that. PSA had a magpul stock in the same color for $20 so I picked that up too.

The big thing I spend money on was Hornady 10mm 200 grain XTP bullets. They looked to perform well in the gel tests I've looked at. They were $13.70 for 100, which is cheaper than a lot of .40 cal bulk FMJ bullets. So I ordered 3500 of them. :shock:

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:00 am

Omegaman - check your PMs.

FreeThought - you're new here and already there seems to be conflict associated with your posts in this thread. Please bear that in mind going forward.

A reminder of our rules for everyone:
3.) No trolling or flaming.
This is obvious, but still needs to be said. We encourage discussion and disagreement; we encourage calling someone on their bullshit. We don’t encourage assholes. Please be constructive with your criticism if at all possible.

I'm going to the pub but locking this thread to cool off for a bit, another mod may unlock before I return.
Man is a beast of prey

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:25 pm

I've split off the arguing. If you folks can't keep the fighting, name calling, and chest thumping to a minimum, or at least take it to PM when it gets excessive, we won't have firearms chat anymore and we'll be handing out warnings.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:55 pm

the_alias wrote:
I'm going to the pub but locking this thread to cool off for a bit, another mod may unlock before I return.
There is a man with his priorities straight. :lol:
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:59 pm

Aside from Pmags and USGI mags, what are the cheapest AR mags out there that actually work and aren't made by Promag or Tapco ?

I'm needing to get a few for my upcoming AR build and I'm not wanting to spend a lot on mags alone.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:34 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Aside from Pmags and USGI mags, what are the cheapest AR mags out there that actually work and aren't made by Promag or Tapco ?

I'm needing to get a few for my upcoming AR build and I'm not wanting to spend a lot on mags alone.

PSA has D&H mags for 6.99, black Friday sale...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:16 pm

Tobias05 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Aside from Pmags and USGI mags, what are the cheapest AR mags out there that actually work and aren't made by Promag or Tapco ?

I have no idea why PSA didn't come to mind when I asked my question. Hopefully they still have some in stock, but if not I guess I'll just have to watch my email for another sales email from them.

Thanks, Tobias05.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:24 pm

InRange TV has become my favorite gun channel.
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tobias05 wrote:

I have no idea why PSA didn't come to mind when I asked my question. Hopefully they still have some in stock, but if not I guess I'll just have to watch my email for another sales email from them.

Thanks, Tobias05.
They might have them on sale for $7 pretty regularly. I bought a bunch from them a while back for that price.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:16 pm

You can find Troy mags cheap if you look for deals, cheaper than Pmags sometimes.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:24 pm

PistolPete wrote:

You can find Troy mags cheap if you look for deals, cheaper than Pmags sometimes.
I've been finding deals on those Troy mags fairly often, but wasn't sure if they are good mags or not.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:02 am

I don't know anything about guns; being scared of them from an early age; but I watched the history channel once.

In firearms terminology, an action is the mechanism that handles the ammunition (loads, locks, fires, and extracts the cartridges) or the method by which that mechanism works. Breech-loading weapons have actions; actions are technically not present on muzzleloaders, as all loading is done by hand. The mechanism that fires a muzzle-loader is called the lock.
Other actions
The Ferguson rifle: British Major Patrick Ferguson designed his rifle, considered to be the first military breechloader, in the 1770s. A plug-shaped breechblock was screw-threaded so that rotating the handle underneath would lower and raise it for loading with ball and loose powder; the flintlock action still required conventional priming.
The Hall rifle: First U.S. cavalry breechloader, originally made in flint but later made-in and converted-to percussion in 1830s-1840s. The breech section tilts up to accept a paper cartridge. Excellent machine-made construction, but still tended to leak gas at the breech.
The Kammerlader: A crank-operated Norwegian firearm produced around the time of the Prussian Needle-gun. Originally used a paper cartridge. Later many were converted to rimfire; this was the first Norwegian breechloader.
The Tarpley carbine: This is categorized into falling block action, but the breech block is hinged unlike the others.
The M1867 Werndl–Holub
The Morse Carbine
The Joslyn rifle
Revolver
Bolt action
In bolt-action firearms
Lever-action Pump-action
Falling block[edit]
Rolling block
Other actions[edit]
French Guycot Chain Rifle
Kalthoff repeater
Cockson repeater
Belton flintlock
The Jennings Magazine Rifle
Meigs Sliding Guard Action Repeater
Roper repeater

blowback operation
Simple blowback: Halcon M-1943, Uzi submachine gun, Varan PMX-80
Lever-delayed blowback: FAMAS, Sterling 7.62, AA-52, 2B-A-40, TKB-517
Roller-delayed blowback: SIG 510, HK MP5, HK P9, HK G3
Gas-delayed blowback: Volkssturmgewehr 1-5, HK P7, Steyr GB
Toggle-delayed blowback: Schwarzlose MG M.07/12, Luger rifle and Pedersen rifle
Blish Lock: early Thompson submachine guns
Hesitation locked: Remington Model 51 and R51 pistols
Chamber-ring delayed blowback:

blow-forward operation
Hino Komuro M1908 Pistol
Steyr Mannlicher M1894
Schwarzlose Model 1908
Special Operations Weapon
Pancor Jackhammer

Recoil operation

gas operation
Short-stroke gas piston: FN FAL, SAR-87, HK G36
Long-stroke gas piston: M1 Garand, AK-47, FN FNC
Direct impingement: MAS 49, M16, AG-42
Gas trap: Gewehr 41, Bang M1922 rifle[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_(firearms)

The show on the HC covered weapons that fired from an open bolt. It said the could be a number of different kinds of "actions" gas operated, blowback etc. But I didn't really understand it.

When I was 18 boyscout I tried to get over my fear of guns by going to the .22 rifle range. We would open the action and put a .22 cartridge inside. I think the bolt was inside the action but maybe it wasn't as my hands shook so much and I started tearing up a little when the guns were firing.
You go over and under
I go through

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:17 am

I got a bunch of Troy mags for $6/ea awhile back. They feed fine but don't lock the bolt in my guns. They're also approx the same dimension as GI and fit in ALICE pouches if that matters to you.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:06 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: I've been finding deals on those Troy mags fairly often, but wasn't sure if they are good mags or not.
I've been using them exclusively for my 300 BLK pistol and haven't had a problem. I picked up 10 of them with pink followers for cheap a few years back.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:04 am

Franklin Armory's Binary trigger system for the AR...it goes bang when you press the trigger...and with the safety selector turned all the way, I guess, it goes BANG! Again when you let up:

http://youtu.be/vMp3PC0diwI

Guns are icky!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Stercutus wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Gotta be a member, but they tend to run good sales if you are buying.
I was looking for VZs near $400, but hey! EoTecs for near $400 is great too! :D I"ll keep them in mind!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:32 pm

chills1994 wrote:Franklin Armory's Binary trigger system for the AR...it goes bang when you press the trigger...and with the safety selector turned all the way, I guess, it goes BANG! Again when you let up:

Why do I get the feeling it's only going to be a matter of time before someone accidentally puts a round into their foot or something they didn't mean to with this trigger ?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:31 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
chills1994 wrote:Franklin Armory's Binary trigger system for the AR...it goes bang when you press the trigger...and with the safety selector turned all the way, I guess, it goes BANG! Again when you let up:

Why do I get the feeling it's only going to be a matter of time before someone accidentally puts a round into their foot or something they didn't mean to with this trigger ?

I give it:

:clownshoes: :clownshoes: :clownshoes: :clownshoes: :clownshoes:

Out of five.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”