Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

procyon

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by procyon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Now I have to decide if I think I need the FCD or if the four-die set's roll/taper crimp die will do it.
The roll crimper should be fine, so long as you are sure to check your case length periodically.
Factory crimp dies are nice, but not usually necessary for what I consider 'normal' shooting.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:54 pm

Well, I just put an extended mag release on my AK. It makes mag changes a lot quicker and I hope the sucker is on my gun tight enough otherwise I'll have to loctite the sucker on there.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:18 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Well, I just put an extended mag release on my AK. It makes mag changes a lot quicker and I hope the sucker is on my gun tight enough otherwise I'll have to loctite the sucker on there.
You're probably going to want to blue Loctite it either way, man. I've never had good luck bolting parts on guns without Loctite.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:09 am

AS556 wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Well, I just put an extended mag release on my AK. It makes mag changes a lot quicker and I hope the sucker is on my gun tight enough otherwise I'll have to loctite the sucker on there.
You're probably going to want to blue Loctite it either way, man. I've never had good luck bolting parts on guns without Loctite.
That's what I was thinking, man.

I need to either find my tube of the stuff or go buy a new one.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:06 pm

I now own a Ruger 22/45 pistol. :clap:

Traded off that Tristar ATAC shotgun I got in trade awhile back for it today. I might have even made a new friend in the process as well. :D

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Akin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:02 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I now own a Ruger 22/45 pistol. :clap:
Love mine... though I HATE stripping it for cleaning
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:32 am

Akin wrote:
http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

I will never not pimp these guys. The newest kits give you a better trigger and allow you to eliminate the stupid mag safety [I don't think that's illegal anywhere, but IDK] if you want, and you no longer have to do the Hokey Pokey to get the bolt out.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:18 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Akin wrote:

I will never not pimp these guys. The newest kits give you a better trigger and allow you to eliminate the stupid mag safety [I don't think that's illegal anywhere, but IDK] if you want, and you no longer have to do the Hokey Pokey to get the bolt out.
The only reason I'm not excited about that kit is because it takes a tool to strip it after installation.

:-/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:09 pm

Akin wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Akin wrote:

The only reason I'm not excited about that kit is because it takes a tool to strip it after installation.

:-/
Meh, allen wrench is easier to find that a rubber mallet, IMO.

In other news, just got the first of many "BUY HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES BEFORE ____________ IS ELECTED." And you motherfuckers wonder why the panic keeps reaching fever pitch.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Meh, allen wrench is easier to find that a rubber mallet, IMO.

In other news, just got the first of many "BUY HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES BEFORE ____________ IS ELECTED." And you motherfuckers wonder why the panic keeps reaching fever pitch.
I'll definitely agree with the first part. I'm finally at the point where I can break it down without any assistance, though...

And I also agree with the second part. It wouldn't surprise me if some in the gun industry WANT Hillary to get elected, so that their sales would experience the same kind of massive surge as back in the Obamascare days...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:50 pm

Well I DO need to pick up another dozen PMAGs and a couple dozen more USGI 30 rounders. Oh and AK mags
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:19 am

Really not trying to be a dick, but..why? At some point enough is enough. I have 50+ and don't really intend on buying more. I'd buy ammo instead.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:23 am

AS556 wrote:Really not trying to be a dick, but..why? At some point enough is enough. I have 50+ and don't really intend on buying more. I'd buy ammo instead.
Magazines are a consumable item, just like ammo. Unlike ammo, they're a multiple use consumable, but they do wear out. You can never have enough.

I have probably 150 AR magazines and guys like Dave still laugh at my pitiful stockpile.

AS556

Post by AS556 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:18 am

They do, not disagreeing there. But how many cycles does it take to wear out a quality magazine? I have zero way of quantifying this, but I'd bet that I could use the same 6 Pmags for the rest of my shooting days and not wear them all out.

Again, not disagreeing, and I myself have around 60, but IMO 10 is practically a lifetime supply.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:12 am

AS556 wrote:They do, not disagreeing there. But how many cycles does it take to wear out a quality magazine? I have zero way of quantifying this, but I'd bet that I could use the same 6 Pmags for the rest of my shooting days and not wear them all out.

Again, not disagreeing, and I myself have around 60, but IMO 10 is practically a lifetime supply.
BUT also think of the profit. Keeping a dozen or so mags on standby for when a scare happens is kinda of an idea.

Plus you've got your duty mags, your training mags, back up mags for long term shtf. To me 20ish mags per primary rifle and 10ish per primary handgun is enough. My Glock or MK25 Id like a higher amount, but my Ruger 9mm or some non essential long arm like an M1 Carbine if I ever pick one up, lets say only needs like 5-6 mags.

Plus what if you've got multiple of a weapon system like AK or ARs, if you have to start handing them out to a group for what ever purpose wouldn't it be nice to have a decent count of mags to go around? just saying. People prep for different things, mags for me are a cheaper item in the firearms scale of preps so they will/are being stocked along with ammo.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

eeb

Post by eeb » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:53 am

22lr is about the only thing still in panic mode around here, though specfic powders can be difficult to get. Stocking up on mags for personal use is probably not a bad idea, I'm not sure they'll be going sky high in the next panic like they did the last one. Too many people have mega-stockpiles of them, IMO. I'd bet on other parts, like bcg's, charging handles, etc.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:07 pm

eeb wrote:22lr is about the only thing still in panic mode around here, though specfic powders can be difficult to get. Stocking up on mags for personal use is probably not a bad idea, I'm not sure they'll be going sky high in the next panic like they did the last one. Too many people have mega-stockpiles of them, IMO. I'd bet on other parts, like bcg's, charging handles, etc.
It's always a good idea to have extra mags in case one or more go down due to worn springs or whatever other problems develop.

I'd like to get a few more G21 mags as well as a few more AK mags, but I think I'm good for the moment.

Actually, I probably also need to grab a couple more 22/45 mags as well. I've only got two so far.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:26 pm

I just picked up an AR and am going to pick up a bunch of magazines, partly because of the upcoming election.

I wanted an AR eventually and I figured they are about as cheap as they will ever be. I'm not too worried about an imminent ban, but if the election causes prices to rise to panic levels I figure I'll sell some of the magazines or maybe the rifle and all off at a substantial profit. Worst case I have a rifle I wanted anyway and some replacement magazines for years down the road.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:33 am

Psa and others have had d&h mags for $6 or less (!) off and on. I've had good luck with that brand of mag. If I wasn't in a ban state I'd pick up 20 at a time when those sales rolled through.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:55 am

Curious, with all the talk of AR's being at historically low/very good prices, are new manufacture AK's in the same boat?
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:35 am

Not from what I saw at the last gun show I went too. Remember the Russian import ban is still in effect. Even though Kalishnikov USA has started to sell US made AKs, those are going to be more expensive.

I recall a while back that the ATF had decided (arbitrarily, of course) to no longer allow the import of barrels as part of parts kits, either for assembly by folks like Century, or for sale as parts kits. Is that still the case?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:53 am

00dlez wrote:Curious, with all the talk of AR's being at historically low/very good prices, are new manufacture AK's in the same boat?

I tend to use atlantic firearms as a barometer of pricing for AK stuff (mostly because that's the only place I really know where to look :rofl: )

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-7 ... ifles.html

They are still a little high. Century's are around 600, Arsenals 1200. When I was shopping for arsenals a couple years ago they were 950 or so. Inflation maybe, but probably just a solid demand. It seems counter intuitive that you can build a pretty good entry AR for less than a marginal AK.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:28 pm

After handling my new 22/45 a little, I've come to the conclusion that the grip is a little thinner than I'm used to now.

A quick trip to Amazon.com and I now have one of those Hogue rubber grip sleeves headed my way. I'm hoping that solves the grip issue and if it doesn't, I suppose I'll just have to get used to a single stack style frame again.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:40 am

TheLastOne wrote:
00dlez wrote:Curious, with all the talk of AR's being at historically low/very good prices, are new manufacture AK's in the same boat?

I tend to use atlantic firearms as a barometer of pricing for AK stuff (mostly because that's the only place I really know where to look :rofl: )

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-7 ... ifles.html

They are still a little high. Century's are around 600, Arsenals 1200. When I was shopping for arsenals a couple years ago they were 950 or so. Inflation maybe, but probably just a solid demand. It seems counter intuitive that you can build a pretty good entry AR for less than a marginal AK.
I am still jones'ing for an SLR-107fr

Guns are icky!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”