Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

zobmiedown

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by zobmiedown » Fri May 22, 2015 11:34 am

I also tend to retain them since where I shoot is very sandy and I don't want my mags full of sand to introduce it into my rifle if I can help it when I am only plinking, target shooting, or sighting in a new optic. Real life shoot and move is entirely different in the mag retention department. Then Again I was in during the Assault Weapons Ban and the mags were controlled issued and signed for items that would cause an investigation if lost so that may be why they were so adamant about mag retention.

On another note. I finished this build last night. Planning on test firing it this weekend. Front ad rear sights were extras I had lying around until I decide on what sight I want and will probably go with MBUIS as well.

Regulators mount up.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:17 pm

I was at the LGS today. The owner went into the back and brought out a Colt 6920 box. What was inside kinda weirded me out. The owner said that Colt was in such bad shape financially it was selling or shipping out just AR chasis's. So what was in the box was missing its front handguards, a buttstock, and a trigger guard.

They had buttstock and forearm kits from some other manufacturer. They were going to assemble all together tomorrow.

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri May 22, 2015 9:40 pm

chills1994 wrote:I was at the LGS today. The owner went into the back and brought out a Colt 6920 box. What was inside kinda weirded me out. The owner said that Colt was in such bad shape financially it was selling or shipping out just AR chasis's. So what was in the box was missing its front handguards, a buttstock, and a trigger guard.

They had buttstock and forearm kits from some other manufacturer. They were going to assemble all together tomorrow.
Didn't Bushmaster do something similar years ago ?

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sat May 23, 2015 9:25 am

chills1994 wrote:I was at the LGS today. The owner went into the back and brought out a Colt 6920 box. What was inside kinda weirded me out. The owner said that Colt was in such bad shape financially it was selling or shipping out just AR chasis's. So what was in the box was missing its front handguards, a buttstock, and a trigger guard.

OEM series.
It's a great idea and I wish Colt did it years ago.
OEM-1 is with an A-frame, OEM-2 is with shaved FSB.

It's super common to replace buttstocks, trigger guards, and forends almost immediately after purchase. With the OEM series you can get a 6920 at a cheaper price and not have to bother taking off everything to replace.

Your LGS is likely going to put cheapo stocksets on them and sell them at complete 6920 prices.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:54 pm

I'd rather have a 6720 (R?) tactical.

No front sight tower and no goofy looking M4 profile barrel cuts.

The owner said it was cheaper than a new Bushmaster. IIRC, he said it was a lot cheaper.

But I tend to take things heard at the LGS with a grain of salt, even if it is the owner. He went on to say that Colt bounced payroll checks twice this year already. Again, I don't know how true that is either.

I was thinking about stocking up like every payday up until...oh...I dunno...say November 2016.

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:38 pm

I made it to the range Saturday. It was the first time with my Pivot Head glasses. You guys might remember me griping about how windy it was at the range the last time I went. It kept blowing my target stand over.

I figured I would try lag screwing into the dirt. So here is the video:

https://youtu.be/K1Nt8u4A1Vc

Seemed to work really well.

Guns are icky!

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:03 pm

Shot my aimpoint for the first time yesterday in the woods. Shot at a rock about 60 yards out...dead on after fiddling with the elevation dial a few times. At 30ish yards it was like 2ft high or something. I need to get it on paper and get it truthfully dialed in but at least the hold over was kinda cool and smacking a 1 foot by 3 foot rock at 60 was fun. I need a brake.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon May 25, 2015 11:48 pm

Anyone have any issues from their shop ordering from SIG directly?? My favorite shop ordered me a full size p250 and its been a few weeks (like 5 weeks) and still no pistol. They are a SIG dealer and order factory direct on the cheap.

I'm losing my mind. It's worse than waiting for Christmas morning as a kid.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:23 am

Another Pivot Head video, this time of me shooting a Browning Hi Power:

https://youtu.be/x9FqsBFQKEM

Guns are icky!

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Tue May 26, 2015 9:24 am

I shot a USSG SAR yesterday and really liked it. (This: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GUN-413)
TLDR: Cycles lower powered rounds fine for me and made the 12g recoil much more manageable to the point I don't think I want a 20 gauge anymore. For the price, it seems like a great deal on a HD styled shotgun.

I've been looking for an HD styled shotgun the GF and I both agree on and it's been rough going so far. She had ruled out 12 gauge pump/single shots due to recoil, so I had planned on a 20 gauge, something like the pistol grip/ghost ring sight version of the Stevens 320. The SAR had the same sights/ergos I was looking for, so I thought I'd give it a try before buying something.

I had read online that it had issues cycling (as most semi-auto shotguns do) with lighter loads, but I gave it a try with some RIO low recoil 00-buck... Cycled 15 shells with no problems, which I was pleasantly surprised by. Felt recoil was right around, and maybe slightly less than what we get from our CETME, which is her favorite to shoot, so I think we've found a winner.

I found that the POI was a little low on the silhouettes using the stock sights, but the patterning overall I was happy with. No concerns at 7-15 yards, and I kept 16 of 18 pellets on the silhouette at 25 yards. It was a very short range trip due to time constraints, but I knew I wouldn't have another chance for probably the next month and I just couldn't wait to get a few rounds through it.

I've only shot the 15 rounds, so I am hardly an expert, but while I'm at it, I'll address some of the criticisms I've seen online:
1) The hold open feature doesn't work!
Yes it does. It's a "smart shotgun" and knows if you pulled the trigger, so it won't hold open until there was a trigger pull and no shells left in the tube. There are several videos online of people demonstrating how it works and various ways to load a specific round without unloading other shells.

2) It won't cycle low powered rounds!
Probably not field loads, but low recoil buck worked just fine for me, and there are several videos out there with suggestions to get it to cycle even lighter loads as well... I seem to recall one video where they ran Estate 6 shot without a problem, or few problems.

3) There are no aftermarket accessories!
That's basically true! Do your research before buying something, then giving it a bad review for your laziness! That said, I believe a Rem 870 tube extension is compatible. There are other reports of people piecing together accessories from various other model that work, so its possible, but a bit of a pain to track down parts. Like I said before, it checked all of my boxes (pistol grip, ghost rings) out of the box, so this wasn't a big deal for me.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue May 26, 2015 11:20 am

Took the new ar build out this weekend and it ran like a top with everything I fed it. Put about 5 mags thru it with no issues. Made me very happy that everything functioned as planned since it was my first complete build. Have done uppers and lowers before but not a complete all inclusive build.
Regulators mount up.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue May 26, 2015 12:28 pm

Can someone fill me in on the current thought on FN-SCARs?

A good acquaintance is selling a gently used FDE SCAR-L (5.56) with a nice looking (3-10x30, or so, I think) Leopold scope on it for $2100. I have fired this thing a couple times and it looks brand new. He is selling it to get an HK MR762.

Is this a reasonable price?
Assuming everything is as described, is there any reason to run away from this?
Are there particular wear points to inspect?

Thanks in advance!
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:15 pm

zobmiedown wrote:Took the new ar build out this weekend and it ran like a top with everything I fed it. Put about 5 mags thru it with no issues. Made me very happy that everything functioned as planned since it was my first complete build. Have done uppers and lowers before but not a complete all inclusive build.
Congrats!

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:18 pm

I posted a link to my Browning Hi Power video earlier.

Well, I really had to jump through some hoops here as far updating my OS and getting the latest version of iMovie, so this is the same video, just with the option of HD now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcniAfQ ... e=youtu.be

You will probably have to click on the gear shaped icon under the YouTube "screen", then select quality, then click on 1080HD.

Guns are icky!

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu May 28, 2015 10:36 pm

Thanks chills it was a fun project and a useful one.
Regulators mount up.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun May 31, 2015 6:34 pm

Poking around BBTI looking at calibers. TIL .44 mag factory loads out of a 4" revolver just about mimics .45 ACP factory loads from a 5" auto in weight and velocity.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:03 am

How so? For me its showing the magnum load with 240gr at almost 1100fps from a 4" where .45 auto is 230gr at 800-1000 depending on load from a 5".

800fps is a far cry from 1100, plus the mag is a tad heavier. Admittedly, the plus P load is relatively close. I guess a .45 +P hardcast SWC could be pretty good load for big critters and the ACP is a lot more versatile as a self defense cartridge. Not much of a big bore fan, myself.

.35 is the magic number for me. From micro pocket pistols to big game revolvers, the .35 will get the job done. Plus I can use the same boresnake on them all :awesome:

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:53 am

Ok so obviously over the past 6 months or so DDI AKs have been sweeping a storm.

But does anyone one on here have any experience? I trust you guys a lot more than the YT commentators
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:39 am

AS556 wrote:How so? For me its showing the magnum load with 240gr at almost 1100fps from a 4" where .45 auto is 230gr at 800-1000 depending on load from a 5".

800fps is a far cry from 1100, plus the mag is a tad heavier. Admittedly, the plus P load is relatively close. I guess a .45 +P hardcast SWC could be pretty good load for big critters and the ACP is a lot more versatile as a self defense cartridge. Not much of a big bore fan, myself.

.35 is the magic number for me. From micro pocket pistols to big game revolvers, the .35 will get the job done. Plus I can use the same boresnake on them all :awesome:
I'm seeing 240 at 1100 and 230 at 1000 or less when we look at real-world guns [cylinder gap is a bitch], which is not as big a difference. Noticeable, but it just struck me that the power of the mag is pretty often overstated in shorter guns. You drop down below four inches and suddenly you're carrying a lot of noise and recoil that essentially performs like a full-size .45, but isn't much smaller.

You gotta look at the real-world guns, especially when comparing an auto to a wheelgat.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:46 am

Hit the funshow on Saturday and picked up a Zhukov-S stock for my WASR.

First impressions:
-cheek weld is MUCH better than with the Romanian/East German folder.

-extension/retraction is VERY sticky. Anyone else notice this? I'm assuming it will work itself out eventually.

Now I just have to find a rifle range in the local area that's open to the public.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Langenator wrote:Hit the funshow on Saturday and picked up a Zhukov-S stock for my WASR.

First impressions:
-cheek weld is MUCH better than with the Romanian/East German folder.

-extension/retraction is VERY sticky. Anyone else notice this? I'm assuming it will work itself out eventually.

Now I just have to find a rifle range in the local area that's open to the public.
I've noticed the same thing regarding the extending and retracting bit as well. It's probably just due to the newness of the stock. Like you said it'll probably work itself out eventually.

The CTR stock I had on my AK was like that for a bit as well.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:48 am

So...I bought a Mini-14.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:55 am

Did Jeriah just type something? It seems he automatically went on ignore just now.
Weird.

:rofl:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:01 am

Dave_M wrote:Did Jeriah just type something? It seems he automatically went on ignore just now.
Weird.

:rofl:
I don't know about that, but I do feel a sudden compulsion to defend every one of my life decisions with a "moving target" sort of logic, where first I say I did something to save money, then when someone points out my way was more expensive, I start looking for ways that my decision was objectively "better," and then when everybody points out that my way was worse, to finally admit it was just an aesthetic thing. And then get butthurt and leave. :D

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”