Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

zobmiedown

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by zobmiedown » Tue May 05, 2015 10:44 am

wow this must be the best grip ever made for the price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Foldin ... 234291d09a
Regulators mount up.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 05, 2015 11:51 am

0122358 wrote:man the mag well on my RPK is tight!

Absolutely no wobble what so ever, mags are actually getting pretty marked up getting them in there and there is friction pulling them out. The drums are a bitch to get in and out even more then the Hungarian 30 rounders.

its not like this is a dedicated fighting rifle so mag changes are required to be super fast, but in a support role I could see the want for drum changes.

Will the mags/well looses up as time goes on because they're all new?
I have a feeling that after a couple range trips and a few more mag changes, everything will loosen up.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:18 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
0122358 wrote:man the mag well on my RPK is tight!

Absolutely no wobble what so ever, mags are actually getting pretty marked up getting them in there and there is friction pulling them out. The drums are a bitch to get in and out even more then the Hungarian 30 rounders.

its not like this is a dedicated fighting rifle so mag changes are required to be super fast, but in a support role I could see the want for drum changes.

Will the mags/well looses up as time goes on because they're all new?
I have a feeling that after a couple range trips and a few more mag changes, everything will loosen up.
I keep having to remind myself that it is a new weapons platform to learn and manipulations are way different than my AR. :lol:
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Tue May 05, 2015 1:26 pm

procyon wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I do tend to run full-power 180gr in it, but it's a problem with the 17L too with light 115gr. I think its just jerking the trigger and having big mitts with long fingers. G30S is about the right frame size, G23/G17 is a bit narrower and I'm sure I'm pushing with my finger as the trigger breaks. I can watch it happen even with slow dry-fire, over and over. Doesn't happen with the USP as bad though. Biggest problem with the USP is grip size, and that it's not the LEM trigger.
Could be a lot of flinchy-ness in the problem.
Just also make sure you only have the pad of your trigger finger on the trigger, and are pulling straight back.
When I start throwing rounds left with my revolvers on DA, I almost always found that I wrapped my finger around the trigger and am pushing it left as I curl my finger back.
I used to have this problem, and this was the issue in my case.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:27 pm

Nice RPK!

Your post motivated me to look at AK's on gunbroker. I had my eye on this Arsenal SLR101:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =480636768

But I had no idea what was a good price. So since that auction ended, I have been looking at folding stock SAM7's.

$CHA CHING$

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 05, 2015 3:08 pm

I just turned my SKS into a semi auto shotgun. :clap:

I traded my SKS to a local guy for a Tristar Raptor 12 gauge and I'm happy.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue May 05, 2015 3:52 pm

I was shooting some tiny .380 the other day (I don't remember the make and model) that had a laser sight on it. Despite it being tiny and having a horrendously long trigger pull, I was able to shoot a significantly better group with it than with any of the full sized pistols that day. I focused entirely on putting the dot on the target and ignored the iron sights.

Part of that may have been that I shot less rounds and took more time with each shot, but I'm wondering if that means I need to work on my sight alignment? Maybe it was just luck.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 05, 2015 4:05 pm

I need to get out and try my Glocks before the weather gets too insanely hot in Texas.

I was a fairly decent shot with my old 1911, so I'm hoping I can actually hit the target with my Glocks now.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:03 pm

I am absolutely whooped at this hour, so I don't mean to be rude...I am not ignoring you two guy's posts. Just finding it difficult to compose a cogent reply. But I have had this "point" I wanted to make here for about the past six hours: new gun periodical out there at Walgreens magazine rack. It is called "ballistic". They actually have a line of clothing at ballisticbrand.com

Normally, I don't like being advertised to, but a like looking at the glossy full ads.

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 05, 2015 11:16 pm

No worries, Chills.

As for the new mag, I haven't seen that one yet. Come to think of it, I haven't seen Recoil magazine either.

Anyone know if that mag is still around or did they fold ?

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:07 am

Recoil...heck...yeah! They are still around. Basically, it is the equivalent to GQ magazine or Cosmo magazine, but for guns. It bills itself as a "lifestyle magazine".

They appear to be doing really well. Granted, the purpose of every medium is to sell you something...so a case in point, their Ballistic Bronco project:Image

No pun intended, it is literally a vehicle for selling advertising. There is a youtube video of it being converted over.

Recoil magazine had a couple faux pas's that they stumbled over, but they appear to have recovered just fine.

Guns are icky!

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed May 06, 2015 5:43 am

procyon wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I do tend to run full-power 180gr in it, but it's a problem with the 17L too with light 115gr. I think its just jerking the trigger and having big mitts with long fingers. G30S is about the right frame size, G23/G17 is a bit narrower and I'm sure I'm pushing with my finger as the trigger breaks. I can watch it happen even with slow dry-fire, over and over. Doesn't happen with the USP as bad though. Biggest problem with the USP is grip size, and that it's not the LEM trigger.
Could be a lot of flinchy-ness in the problem.
Just also make sure you only have the pad of your trigger finger on the trigger, and are pulling straight back.
When I start throwing rounds left with my revolvers on DA, I almost always found that I wrapped my finger around the trigger and am pushing it left as I curl my finger back.

I have the "shoot left" syndrome as well. I started noticing it on my buddy's duty Glock when I had a perfect group.... a foot low and a foot left. I must have picked it up recently or my accuracy standards for myself have changed... plus it just depends on which gun I use which makes me question the "gun-to-hand" technique as opposed to my "triger-pulling" technique. I honestly believe it is because I have long spider fingers, because I have to kick my thumb out to get my trigger finger set correctly, or else I'm a few knuckles deep (ladies....) inside the trigger guard.

This issue is only with pistols because with rifles, I can rotate my arm/hand inboard to compensate for said "long fingers" without giving up stability/grip.

I dunno, hard to explain unless someone else has big hands as well. I've found I like DAO guns for this reason as I've ranted about recently/constantly. Easy to get a nice wrap on the trigger without extra movement due to the spindles attached to my palms.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Wed May 06, 2015 5:50 am

The last time I went out to the range I had the down and left problem too. Then I got warmed up and was basically dead center on.

I actually think shooting faster helps me.

Guns are icky!

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Wed May 06, 2015 12:10 pm

chills1994 wrote:The last time I went out to the range I had the down and left problem too. Then I got warmed up and was basically dead center on.

I have seen that too, I think shooting faster does help. It does not give the brain time to think about anticipated recoil and focus on the needs at hand.
Zombies don't ski.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed May 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Hollis wrote:
chills1994 wrote:The last time I went out to the range I had the down and left problem too. Then I got warmed up and was basically dead center on.

I have seen that too, I think shooting faster does help. It does not give the brain time to think about anticipated recoil and focus on the needs at hand.
For some reason I have a tendency to shoot left with Glock pistols, but I shoot high left not low left. I only bring it up because shooting faster helps me with this as well.

It's only with Glocks that I tend to shoot high left. I tried replacing the stock sights with XS Big Dots on my G29 and this helped a lot but didn't fix the problem entirely.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed May 06, 2015 5:29 pm

I fixed two problems with the shotgun I traded my SKS for today. One was a loose front sight base and the other was a loose pistol grip cover.

The front sight base needed a little bit of loctite and I'm hoping the stuff I used holds otherwise I'm going to have to take it to a gunsmith and have him solder the sucker on.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:34 pm

As long as you don't shoulder it. :roll:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 06, 2015 8:36 pm

TDW586 wrote:As long as you don't shoulder it. :roll:
If it was semi-auto you could dual-wield them, strapped to your forearms.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:38 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
TDW586 wrote:As long as you don't shoulder it. :roll:
If it was semi-auto you could dual-wield them, strapped to your forearms.
If someone comes up with a valid plan to produce a semi-auto version of this, I'm all over it.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 06, 2015 8:41 pm

Aaaand now I have something to try next range trip.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu May 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:http://www.guns.com/2015/05/01/black-ac ... -pump-gun/

No tax stamp...
How is that not an AOW?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu May 07, 2015 12:49 pm

Langenator wrote:

No tax stamp...
How is that not an AOW?
Over 27", not designed to be fired from the shoulder [never had a stock] means it's a "firearm" not a shotgun, rifle, or handgun, and is therefore okay to wear a foregrip. No stock allowed, though.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 07, 2015 12:57 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
Langenator wrote:

No tax stamp...
How is that not an AOW?
Over 27", not designed to be fired from the shoulder [never had a stock] means it's a "firearm" not a shotgun, rifle, or handgun, and is therefore okay to wear a foregrip. No stock allowed, though.
Anyone got an idea as to what the MSRP is supposed to be ?

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”