Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Re: Firearms Chat 3: #pewpewlife

Post by AS556 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:12 pm

Aerosol Duracoat...not too shabby

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:26 pm

Shelving my Mini/AR/Shotgun/handgun debate...what are the chances or possibilities of a .300blk tavor?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

eeb

Post by eeb » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:56 am

How good are you with a lathe? But seriously, it should be a no brainer for IWI or some aftermarket company to pop out a barrel for that.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:15 am

0122358 wrote:Shelving my Mini/AR/Shotgun/handgun debate...what are the chances or possibilities of a .300blk tavor?
eeb wrote:How good are you with a lathe? But seriously, it should be a no brainer for IWI or some aftermarket company to pop out a barrel for that.
IWI is supposedly working on it but they haven't commented on the subject in a while AFAIK.

A 3rd party Tavor accessory vendor has a prototype he made but I don't think he has plans to commercialize it at the moment. He had to make his own gas system for some reason on top of cannibalizing a barrel extension.

Bullpup forum thread

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:02 pm

procyon wrote:
Hollis wrote:CQB is not the same as HD.
I'll bite.
Other than the lack of a team - how is clearing my house (HD) different?
Not being snarky, just curious as to how you see it.

I looked at your comment from several parts.

The first part is Marines, their training and that they operate offensively (generally)

The M16 is a battle rifle, similar to a AR but not the same. Not so much the rifle, but the training of the person welding that rifle. There is a pretty good joke on how the Marines would secure a building VS the other services. Tactics, training and culture. There are reasons why the Posse Comitatus Act was signed. LE's training is not the same as Marine 0311's. Your average LE does not have the same training as LE Swat team.

The difference in offense VS defense. Lots to be discussed there.

As I mentioned in the past there are other variables to look at on deciding the best firearm for HD. For those who have trained and got all of the certificates, room clearing is probably better lest to them.

The choice of the rifle, again the most important factor, IIRC, is the person holding it.

We are talking about a home, how big is your home? There issue of the penetration power of the round does becomes a issue. One guarantee in shooting, is that a person will hit something, maybe more than one something. I would saying training and even luck is a important factor.

Because Marines do it, may not be a good reason for the average civilian doing it. A thought.

I think the other thing is Battle as in CQB. IIRC most self defense exchanges are at a short distance and very few rounds expended. Battles seems to me, imply lots of rounds going down range. Maybe my bias.

Personally, where I live a AR would be just as good as any other firearm. If I am in the kitchen when a intruder presents themselves I would probably grab my cast iron skillet rather than run off to another room.

Those are my thoughts. At this current time, I do not see my HD situation being anything close to a firefight/battle. If I lived in Syria, belt feds would be my choice.
I don't know if it is true or not, but I did find this:

http://www.militarymuseum.org/LARiots1.html
[div]"Police officers responded to a domestic dispute, accompanied by marines. They had just gone up to the door when two shotgun birdshot rounds were fired through the door, hitting the officers. One yelled `cover me!' to the marines, who then laid down a heavy base of fire. . . . The police officer had not meant `shoot' when he yelled `cover me' to the marines. [He] meant . . . point your weapons and be prepared to respond if necessary. However, the marines responded instantly in the precise way they had been trained, where `cover me' means provide me with cover using firepower. . . . over two hundred bullets [were] fired into that house."[1]
The link does not seem to work anymore. I have heard this story before, Maybe bogus, Maybe my google fu is not so good.

@AS556, Nice looking dura coat job.
Last edited by Hollis on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zombies don't ski.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:17 pm

That was a lot of words with very little actual substance.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:That was a lot of words with very little actual substance.

Care to explain?

I thought this was a discussion forum.
Zombies don't ski.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:53 pm

Hollis wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:That was a lot of words with very little actual substance.

Care to explain?
Glad you asked! Your entire post is a series of trite, obvious observations and assertions with no content. You rambled a lot and said nothing of substance, and when you had the opportunity to make some meritorious discussion, say on how the M16 is different form an AR, or how exactly CQB is different from HD, or what factors should be considered or literally anything beyond saying the obvious, non-specific stuff, you instead went for general "no shit" statements.

So as I said, nothing of substance. This is, as you noted, a discussion forum, and discussion tends to flow better if you try to reply in a manner that leaves something to be discussed.

P.S. Marines do operate in the defense, the M16 is just an AR with a giggle switch and NSN, I can get better CQB training on my own dime than at a military schoolhouse, and your story at the end is likely made up and also has nothing to do with the subject.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Damn this thread. I'm going to be picking up a police surplus Smith and Wesson and competing with it solely to try and beat guys running modern guns with it. Looking at a Model 64 (It's a stainless model 10), some speedloaders, and some kind of usable holster. Also, I need a cowboy hat.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

Hollis

Post by Hollis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:18 pm

Sorry I rocked your boat or ruffled you feathers.

I mentioned Generally Marines are offensive. Well maybe my experience is from a different time and place.

So again to your comments, and I was trying to keep it short and simple. Maybe you would care to explain the difference from CQB and HD.

AS far as AR VS M16, Did you read what I wrote? The important difference is who is holding it, their training/skill level. (my opinion). If you feel that I left too much out, then please tell us.

BTW, you mentioned a lot of words and no substance. I believe there are books......... they have lots of words in them that discuss the HD and that discuss CQB. So if you want to know more than simple posting allows, buy the book.

The story at the end, I commented I was not sure as to it's truthfulness............ So you decide to inject your guess that it was fictitious, maybe you are right. How about google and finding out if it is true or not, after all you seem to want exact preciseness rather than a guess.

BTW, all of your concerns was not asked in the post of the person that responded too.

So out side of a personal attack, can you do better. If this forum has the ignore feature, you can just ignore my posts. People who feel the need to attack, ridicule or insult people tend to insecure.
Zombies don't ski.

Hollis

Post by Hollis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:19 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:Damn this thread. I'm going to be picking up a police surplus Smith and Wesson and competing with it solely to try and beat guys running modern guns with it. Looking at a Model 64 (It's a stainless model 10), some speedloaders, and some kind of usable holster. Also, I need a cowboy hat.

That would be pretty cool and fun. You could start a trend back to revolvers for competition.
Zombies don't ski.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:22 pm

My reference to the M16 had to do with it being a full-size rifle, unlike the M4. I wasn't saying we all had to be marines, but that they had no problems handling a rifle that'd most likely be longer than one of ours in a confined space.

If we're going to go on that home defense is different than house clearing, the rifle is even better. If I'm taking up a defensive position I can't see how the pistol is better than a rifle. It allows me to bring a lot of hate on whomever comes down the hallway to my bedroom.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

eeb

Post by eeb » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:50 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:Damn this thread. I'm going to be picking up a police surplus Smith and Wesson and competing with it solely to try and beat guys running modern guns with it. Looking at a Model 64 (It's a stainless model 10), some speedloaders, and some kind of usable holster. Also, I need a cowboy hat.
Do it right, and get a Stetson.

Or not, probably better to spend the money on a better holster. The popularity of SASS and cowboy action shooting might be your friend here.
Last edited by eeb on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Illegal spying is not a crime. Well, it is, but fuck it."-NSA

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I come to you with a mystery and a couple questions…

Yesterday I took my new 5.56 AR-15 SBR (11.5 upper from a fairly reputable manufacturer) for its fourth visit to the range. It has had about two hundred rounds through it. I shot it about twenty times when I got a click that led me to think that it was empty but the bolt was closed. I tried to pull the bolt back but it was stuck. I tried harder and it wouldn’t budge. I then collapsed the stock and mortared it. The bolt came open but the cartridge did not eject! It was stuck in the bolt. I let the bolt close and it fired. The Privi M193 brass case ejected and did not look special or particularly damaged. I fired about ten more shots before calling it a day.

This rifle has always been cleaned and thoroughly lubed with CLP after each trip to the range.

That evening I took it apart for cleaning and I noticed a shiny spot in the upper receiver…

I only cleaned this thing four times but I don’t think there was a mark there before. The spot doesn’t FEEL different from the surrounding area. I have three other rifles from this manufacturer and none of them have this wear/damage despite much higher round-counts.

Onto my questions…
Do you think the malfunction caused this wear? Would you have handled this malfunction differently?
Googling a bit, it seems like this could be considered normal wear, do you think I should be worried about this?
Even if you feel it is strictly a cosmetic issue, because this rifle is still under warranty, would you contact the manufacturer who will probably ask me to remove all accessories and send it in?

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions,
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

procyon

Post by procyon » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:34 am

Can't see the pic from here at work.

If I had to take a guess, I would bet that some form of debris went in with the round as the bolt closed. I have no idea what as I can't see the photo (and that might not help anyway). Might be a flake of the previous rounds neck. Something.

That piece of debris likely got wedged in when the bolt closed the first time - leaving it stuck and just far enough out of battery that it couldn't fire the round (as it shouldn't go 'click' on an empty chamber - the bolt should have locked back/open when the mag was empty.

When you hammered it open, it didn't eject because the debris had the round stuck in the bolt face (kind of like 'pennying' a door shut). But when you got it completely open, the debris fell out or back into the trigger group area. With the debris out of the way the rifle operated appropriately.

I would definitely look over the trigger group to make sure that there was no bits of metal/etc in there, or anywhere else. I would also try and give everything a once over to make sure nothing lost a flake of metal. If you see nothing, it was probably just some stray item that ended up in the action.

Best of luck.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:58 am

And magpul makes a 10/22 stock.

Magpul: printing money since forever
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Dabster that shiny spot looks fairly normal to my eye, looks maybe a bit excessive but nothing crazy. That's the rail the carrier rides on, maybe when you mortared the rifle it damaged the rail a little bit? Hard to say, really. If it still runs I wouldn't sweat it.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:27 pm

AS556 wrote:Dabster that shiny spot looks fairly normal to my eye, looks maybe a bit excessive but nothing crazy. That's the rail the carrier rides on, maybe when you mortared the rifle it damaged the rail a little bit? Hard to say, really. If it still runs I wouldn't sweat it.
Thanks for your input. To my (very soft, delicate & sensitive) fingers, there is no difference between the shiny part and the rest of that rail/area. I've heard of bad anodizing -I am wondering if it was a jam combined with a bad bit of coating. If it doesn't grow and just looks a tiny bit bad -I can live with it.

Thanks again!
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:34 pm

Looks normal to me but my experience is somewhat limited.

I assume you pulled the BCG and checked for wear/damage?

Maybe your charging handle isn't straight anymore and rubbing a bit?
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:09 pm

91Eunozs wrote:Looks normal to me but my experience is somewhat limited.

I assume you pulled the BCG and checked for wear/damage?

Maybe your charging handle isn't straight anymore and rubbing a bit?
I will double-check it. I didn't really slam it when I cleared the jam -it was more like a couple little taps. I would be pretty horrified if that fairly routine operation damaged it. But you never know...

AS556

Post by AS556 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:12 pm

They're heeeere..

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:11 pm

i may or may not be out of state next week. I may or may not come back with a fist full of those depending on being able to find in a store.

Dave, get your butt to New Hampshire and test out the sig suppressors. They are posted with some pretty affordable pricing...
http://www.sigsauersilencers.com/
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:16 am

TheLastOne wrote:i may or may not be out of state next week. I may or may not come back with a fist full of those depending on being able to find in a store.

Dave, get your butt to New Hampshire and test out the sig suppressors. They are posted with some pretty affordable pricing...
http://www.sigsauersilencers.com/
I've used several of them. Both pre and post production. I like the taper mounts, weight, and how they look like rifle grenades.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 am

Any thoughts on the 22lr in particular or is the sparrow II still the one to own?
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”